Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 GENCON 2008
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 14

EytanBernstein
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2008 :  23:28:19  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Just don't forget the golden rule: whenever you see a game designer or author it is really important that you start a conversation with them with the following prefacing statement: "Let me tell you about my character ..."

-- George Krashos

Make sure said person is not holding any sharp implements (scissors, pens, forks, knitting needles, and the like) at the time. They may hurt themselves when they run away screaming, should they trip.

Or recently acquired swords, ornamental long knives, and other assorted sharp Con art.

http://eytanbernstein.com - the official website of Eytan Bernstein
Go to Top of Page

Neriandal Freit
Senior Scribe

USA
396 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2008 :  14:21:11  Show Profile  Visit Neriandal Freit's Homepage Send Neriandal Freit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Silly question, but do we have a confirmed list of our favored writers going to Con yet?

"Eating people is wrong...unless it's on the first date." - Ed Greenwood, GenCon Indy 2006
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2008 :  17:05:35  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Neriandal Freit

Silly question, but do we have a confirmed list of our favored writers going to Con yet?

Don't think so.....

I'm pretty sure that Ed is going and so is Steven... beyond that.... Uh, no idea.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2008 :  21:47:10  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed is indeed attending (and he'll be at Origins, too), and I believe he mentioned that Steven was. Also Erik Scott de Bie, and . . . then my memory fails me.
Sorry.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2008 :  01:17:22  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Age finally catching up with you, my Lady?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

AlorinDawn
Learned Scribe

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2008 :  01:29:50  Show Profile  Visit AlorinDawn's Homepage Send AlorinDawn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anyone else hitting Origins this year? I will be there.
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2008 :  12:29:26  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Ed is indeed attending (and he'll be at Origins, too), and I believe he mentioned that Steven was. Also Erik Scott de Bie, and . . . then my memory fails me.
Sorry.
love to all,
THO

I'll be there. I won't have bells on, as they get annoying by the 3rd step of the day.

Only other writer I know going to Gen Con right now is Matt Forbeck, one of my fellow Alliterates. Yes, I know he's not written any FR fiction, but don't hold that against him. He's a heckuva writer nonetheless.

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Neriandal Freit
Senior Scribe

USA
396 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2008 :  00:25:03  Show Profile  Visit Neriandal Freit's Homepage Send Neriandal Freit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just in case no one has caught this in there GenCon email, here is what we got per-Realms so far...

quote:
Celebrate 20 years of Drizzt!

New York Times Best-Selling author R.A. Salvatore will be celebrating 20 years of Drizzt by signing autographs in the Wizards of the Coast booth, the Sagmore Ballroom and Author’s Alley. Geno Salvatore, who co-authored The Stowaway (releasing in the fall) will also be available for autographs.
Be sure to pick up a sample chapter of the next installment of the Transitions trilogy – The Pirate King!
In addition be sure to check out these other Forgotten Realms seminar offerings:

Saturday 10-12 PM
Secrets of the Forgotten Realms

Saturday 12-2 PM
Spin a Yarn with Ed Greenwood

Saturday 2-4 PM
From the Mind of R.A. Salvatore

And remember D&D fans Living Forgotten Realms launches at Gen Con Indy 2008! Visit www.gencon.com for complete event & seminar listings and information.

So, it would appear we all of the 'Keep should meet up early that morning and migrate to said-area which Ed's most notable and prestigious bum will be placed for at least four hours!

Edit: Mind you, I'm not saying that should be the first time we all meet up together either, but it should be planned in our "group" gathering for sure...! (Sage, Kuje, others, what say you?)

Now, question of curiosity....what exactly is "Living Forgotten Realms about?

"Eating people is wrong...unless it's on the first date." - Ed Greenwood, GenCon Indy 2006

Edited by - Neriandal Freit on 21 Jun 2008 00:26:49
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2008 :  01:44:15  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Edit: Mind you, I'm not saying that should be the first time we all meet up together either, but it should be planned in our "group" gathering for sure...! (Sage, Kuje, others, what say you?)
Sounds good. But refresh my memory... did we eventually decide on a place to meet up?

Go to Top of Page

Neriandal Freit
Senior Scribe

USA
396 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2008 :  01:45:29  Show Profile  Visit Neriandal Freit's Homepage Send Neriandal Freit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

Sounds good. But refresh my memory... did we eventually decide on a place to meet up?

Hence my questioning

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2008 :  01:54:54  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The living realms is the new 4e RPGA campaign from WOTC. There should be a site over on wotc's web site....

As for meeting, I'm still going to meet up at the sign for the hotel and now that I know that the times of the Realms seminars, I'd say meet up between 8 and 9 AM on Saturday. Friday night also we could meet up.

Beyond that, I got nothing. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Edited by - Kuje on 21 Jun 2008 01:55:28
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2008 :  02:21:03  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How can we get into Spin a Yarn for sure? Do you have to register for it or just line up early?

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2008 :  02:31:11  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

How can we get into Spin a Yarn for sure? Do you have to register for it or just line up early?

Usually, but I haven't gone since 2006, for Spin a Yarn, you just show up at the room it's hosted in. Same for the Realms seminar. I don't think that has changed.... but Ed would know for sure.

So, in 2006 you didn't need to register for them.....

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2008 :  03:35:22  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe, if the information I managed to ferret electronically out of the GenCon site is correct, that at least the Spin A Yarn (and probably both events) is going to be held in one of the ballrooms at the Marriott. Which should mean ample room for all, not the crowding of last year, and no real need to register/get an event ticket.
However, if my information is wrong . . .
(The Marriott is remodelling its function rooms, this year and next.)
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2008 :  03:44:02  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Darn, guess I'm going to have to get up early on Saturday anyway . . . heh. I'm in the Pathfinder "Ascension of the Drow" event that runs until 1 a.m. Friday night, so I might be a little bleary eyed . . .

In case anyone is interested, I'm one of the GMs for the Pathfinder Society events from 8-12 and 1-5 Thursday and Friday, and from 1-5 on Saturday, and 8-12 and 1-5 again on Sunday. I think there are twelve tables per slot, so I guess if you sign up for one of these times, you have a 1 in 12 chance of getting me for a GM . . .
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2008 :  03:32:45  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indy just got a great Brazilian Steakhouse last month, Fogo de Chao if anyone here was interested in grabbing dinner maybe on Sat???? I would be glad to get a reservation for a group of us.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2008 :  03:38:08  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think I can make it for dinner. Ma and I, since its our vacation, have plans for dinner that night but I can meet ya's afterwards.

Edit: But Friday night for dinner and saturday for breakfast or lunch could work out alright....

quote:

Indy just got a great Brazilian Steakhouse last month, Fogo de Chao if anyone here was interested in grabbing dinner maybe on Sat???? I would be glad to get a reservation for a group of us.

Edited by - Kuje on 22 Jun 2008 08:17:19
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2008 :  04:10:22  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just ordered my badge and just for kicks when looking for events to purchase Searched for Spin a Yarn.....

It came up and showed something to the effect of : 100 registrations and 71 avaiable.

So I purchased 2 which is the max allowed per account(the costs was 0$ each) then check it again and sure enough showed 69 available.

Not sure if this means it is in a very small room this year or they reserve 100 seats up close or what. But if I were you guys I would "buy"
your spin a yarn tickets now!!!

Better safe than sorry!

Go to Top of Page

Neriandal Freit
Senior Scribe

USA
396 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2008 :  04:52:05  Show Profile  Visit Neriandal Freit's Homepage Send Neriandal Freit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Just ordered my badge and just for kicks when looking for events to purchase Searched for Spin a Yarn.....

It came up and showed something to the effect of : 100 registrations and 71 avaiable.

So I purchased 2 which is the max allowed per account(the costs was 0$ each) then check it again and sure enough showed 69 available.

Not sure if this means it is in a very small room this year or they reserve 100 seats up close or what. But if I were you guys I would "buy"

Better safe than sorry!

Erm...link?

By the way, I think I suggest that we go a ahead and edit the original post with a list of "Official Attendees of GenCon"???

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2008 :  05:15:59  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Better safe than sorry!

Erm...link?

By the way, I think I suggest that we go a ahead and edit the original post with a list of "Official Attendees of GenCon"???

I noticed when registering for my badge. After I added it to my cart there was a link to buy event tickets.

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2008 :  16:14:00  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
After you log in to your gencon account, under buy your gencon 2008 events click on the link that says: Search the Gen Con Indy 2008 Event Catalog.

Click saturday for the day, then in the search field i put in spin a yarn.

The Event comes up, shows date, time, event cost (0$), Event limit 100 and registrations available 69.

FYI- Secrets of the Forgotten Realms is in the same ballroom 2 hours before Spin a Yarn, and if you search it shows the same type of info. I ordered two of those as well.
As of now is shows a limit of 100 and 67 still available.

Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2008 :  08:33:59  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A post by Mark Sehestedt that popped up in a thread of mine and might interest all those inerested/visiting the GenCon:

quote:
Originally posted by Mark S.

quote:
Originally posted by Brian R. James

Since you're here... Are you going to be at Gen Con this year Mark?

Not this year. Maybe next.

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2008 :  02:20:58  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For those who are traveling from across the country or from another country, when are you arriving in Indy? Anyone coming early and or staying late?

Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2008 :  02:33:06  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

For those who are traveling from across the country or from another country, when are you arriving in Indy? Anyone coming early and or staying late?
I'm coming in around midnight on Wednesday night and leaving on the 7 am flight on on Monday morning.

I'll try and have a "My Name Is..." tag this year, but everyone knows my non-forum name by now, so it shouldn't be too hard to find me. I'll be the one stroking Ed's beard.
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2008 :  02:37:34  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm going to be getting in just in time to run my 8 a.m. Pathfinder Society event on Thursday, and my wife assures me we WILL be on the road after my last event on Sunday . . .

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2008 :  03:31:10  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm scheduled to leave early Monday morning -- the 11th of August. And I'll be arriving early Wednesday morning [or will that be late Tuesday night US time? I'll have to check]. I'll actually be staying a few days after the Con... as the Lady K has asked me to visit her cousin in the south of the state.

Edited by - The Sage on 29 Jun 2008 06:49:57
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2008 :  06:05:56  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm scheduled to leave early tomorrow morning. And I'll be arriving early Wednesday morning [or will that be late Tuesday night US time? I'll have to check]. I'll actually be staying a few days after the Con... as the Lady K has asked me to visit her cousin in the south of the state.

Are you really leaving tomorrow, as in June 29th/30th? Or did you mean something else?

Edited by - Kuje on 29 Jun 2008 06:29:57
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2008 :  06:16:18  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Silly old sage! I got my dates wrong.

Thanks bud.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2008 :  06:29:18  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Silly old sage! I got my dates wrong.

Thanks bud.

No prob. :) I thought that sounded odd but, maybe you were leaving super early.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2008 :  09:35:30  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aye.

As it happens, my error with the dates earlier was actually due to my thinking of the dates for the Australian Gen Con, which starts this week. So I'll be heading off to Brisbane in the coming days.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 14 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000