Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 GENCON 2008
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 14

JEThetford
Acolyte

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2008 :  04:56:24  Show Profile  Visit JEThetford's Homepage Send JEThetford a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Neriandal Freit

Memory serves right, Kuje stayed there two years prior.

The Hyatt is a fantastic spot to meet up at due to the fact it's connected three different ways I believe, or rather has three different access points. Main Entrance, through Convention Center and another I can not remember.

I vote for White Shirts and Stickers :D

quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

I stayed at the Conrad Hilton last year. It was about two blocks away from the Con. Nice hotel.

-- George Krashos

Hey George!!!! I am staying at the Conrad this year!! I need a roomy, are you coming???

Jeff

The only good Drow, is a dead Drow.

Aaomas Balkrim, Drow Hunter
Go to Top of Page

monknwildcat
Learned Scribe

USA
285 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2008 :  22:17:41  Show Profile  Visit monknwildcat's Homepage Send monknwildcat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:
Originally posted by monknwildcat

To previous attendees, how much fun would GenCon be for a 14 yo? I would have loved to have gone at that age!

Hard for me to answer but he might enjoy the computer demos, uh, some of the other games, etc. I dunno. I didn't really look around to much for things that teens could do....

Thanks, Kuje! I suspect until I get there I can't completely feel the magnitude of the Con. But, from what you just posted, they'll feel right at home.

I just surfed GenCon's site, and, Sage, it looks busy. I'm sure she'll enjoy using you for locomotion.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2008 :  00:48:13  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed. Narnra's nearly 5, and already she's well-adjusted to using her parents as Automatic Teller Machines!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2008 :  04:36:24  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

Well guys, we need to decide this then.....

White name tags on the left shoulder
or
black armbands
or
both.

I don't care either way, either are fine with me but lets get a concensus before August so we get the supplies together.

Not to disagree with Sage or Lyrna, but I'd have to vote down the black armbands. Any other color, it's probably fine, but black could send a message easily misconstrued in far too many ways.

And as the opinions of many on these boards regarding the 4th edition changes to their beloved Realms are well known, that's another way that the black armbands could be seen as a political statement by WotC and others.

Can we do another color or simply shoot for the name stickers on the shoulders bit? Sorry to sound too sensitive, but as a professional who maintains a working relationship with Wizards, I don't want mine editors to get the wrong idea if they see me wearing a black armband around Gen Con.

If I can find it again, I'll be wearing my metal Forgotten Realms original logo pin to the show. I'd wear the baseball cap with the FR logo on it, but the darned thing's rather uncomfortable and I'd probably lose it.

If I'm the only one who doesn't want to wear the armbands, that's fine; I suspect enough folks have met me in the past to identify me from a few paces and if I'm looking for y'all, I suspect I'll find you.

Steven

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2008 :  05:34:49  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nah Steven, I was feeling a bit apprehensive about the arm bands but I just didn't want to say anything about it. I'd prefer to just go with the name tags myself. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2008 :  07:00:53  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

Not to disagree with Sage or Lyrna, but I'd have to vote down the black armbands. Any other color, it's probably fine, but black could send a message easily misconstrued in far too many ways.
Actually, now that you mention it... you may indeed have a point there. I don't like the idea that this could be somehow misconstrued. Put me down for just the name tags. That fine.

Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2008 :  14:28:57  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just to throw out another suggestion…

Everyone attending the convention is going to be walking around wearing the Gen Con badge around their neck, secured in one of those plastic badge holders. It’s simple enough to slip a name tag of some sort into the reverse of the badge holder. If your name or Candlekeep alias were written large on brightly colored construction paper for instance, it would easily be visible at a distance with the badge flipped over. We would just need to agree on a color.

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames

Edited by - Brian R. James on 05 May 2008 14:32:22
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2008 :  14:58:36  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think it's probably best to stay with the Candlekeep aliases for now. It's largely how we all recognise each other after all, and they're unlikely to be mistaken for other names tags used elsewhere.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2008 :  16:32:31  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good point about black armbands, although I never really cared what color they are.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 05 May 2008 16:33:42
Go to Top of Page

Neriandal Freit
Senior Scribe

USA
396 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2008 :  17:14:10  Show Profile  Visit Neriandal Freit's Homepage Send Neriandal Freit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We all could go as Naruto wanna-be's and wear head-bands instead?

:D

"Eating people is wrong...unless it's on the first date." - Ed Greenwood, GenCon Indy 2006
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2008 :  00:12:54  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hooray . . . I already bought my pass, but I didn't feel official until we had our hotel rooms, but its all good now.

I'm all for the name tags on the arm, but I'm thinking of getting some t-shirts with "KnightErrantJR" on the back so anyone from Paizo/Dragonlance Forums/Candlekeep that sees me can tackle me as I go by.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2008 :  00:58:33  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not really good at tackling... so can I just whack you over the head with the specially crafted +5 Staff of the Irritated Moderator I'll be carrying with me?

Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2008 :  23:40:23  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now I'm glad I went with my own name for my nick.

http://eytanbernstein.com - the official website of Eytan Bernstein
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2008 :  23:45:36  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by EytanBernstein

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Pasta Fzoul
Seeker

USA
79 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2008 :  04:28:34  Show Profile Send Pasta Fzoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Candlekeep - the only place where it's the famous people who use their real names, and everyone else has an alias
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2008 :  01:50:04  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pasta Fzoul

quote:

Candlekeep - the only place where it's the famous people who use their real names, and everyone else has an alias

And we're all secretly jealous we didn't think of your online nickname first.

Steven

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36781 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2008 :  02:02:17  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

quote:
Originally posted by Pasta Fzoul

quote:

And we're all secretly jealous we didn't think of your online nickname first.

Steven

Not so secretly, for me! I love that user name!

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2008 :  02:41:53  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe we should elect a standard bearer, who carries around a Candlekeep flag and is the automatic first target of high initiative monsters?

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Alexis Merlin
Learned Scribe

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2008 :  16:08:33  Show Profile  Visit Alexis Merlin's Homepage Send Alexis Merlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You can put me down as a big "maybe" - I'll be done with Boot Camp by the end of July, and will be living in New England for the first posting, however chances are I'm going to be assigned to a ship and so could well be deployed....it'll be a bit last minute if I'll be able to make it (not to mention arranging the Drive West too) but will hopefully be able to make it!

It is knowledge that influences and equalizes the social condition of man; that gives to all, however different their political position, passions which are in common, and enjoyments which are universal.
(Benjamin Disraeli)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36781 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2008 :  16:18:34  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

Maybe we should elect a standard bearer, who carries around a Candlekeep flag and is the automatic first target of high initiative monsters?

Cheers

High initiative monsters being furry fans, unwashed gamers, and the Man-Faye.

Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2008 :  00:15:32  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

Cheers

High initiative monsters being furry fans, unwashed gamers, and the Man-Faye.

I don't know what "the Man-Faye" is but it sounds exceedingly disturbing. [makes note to put them in next monster product]. I picture the 40 year old 300 lbs. male sailor moon from Gen Con a few years back. I guess that might be a Man-Faye.

Ah, I have researched Man-Faye, and s/he truly is disturbing.

http://eytanbernstein.com - the official website of Eytan Bernstein
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36781 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2008 :  02:08:59  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ah, I have researched Man-Faye, and s/he truly is disturbing.

I'm active on another forum, where, a few years ago, I first posted the link to a Man-Faye website. Over the next few months, there were no fewer than three different threads complaining about it! For a couple of years, there were people that didn't trust any link I posted until someone else checked it out.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2008 :  03:11:35  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, I remember that. Completely ruined how I looked at Faye Valentine.

Though, I must admit, I've seen some pretty convincing Spike Spiegel and Jet Black cosplayers.

Go to Top of Page

Neriandal Freit
Senior Scribe

USA
396 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2008 :  22:56:33  Show Profile  Visit Neriandal Freit's Homepage Send Neriandal Freit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thought I'd let some people know that the Marriot at the Courtyard still has rooms avaiable it appears.

My friends and I just booked a room for four people (yes, thats real too. Not booking one for 1 person and putting 4 in there ;))

Here is the linkage
http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/inddc-courtyard-indianapolis-downtown/

New question!!!!

How many people here are planning to attend the Midnight Costume Ball? I am as Neriandal Freit, The Guardian.

"Eating people is wrong...unless it's on the first date." - Ed Greenwood, GenCon Indy 2006
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2008 :  02:34:07  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Neriandal Freit

Thought I'd let some people know that the Marriot at the Courtyard still has rooms avaiable it appears.

My friends and I just booked a room for four people (yes, thats real too. Not booking one for 1 person and putting 4 in there ;))

Here is the linkage
http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/inddc-courtyard-indianapolis-downtown/

New question!!!!

How many people here are planning to attend the Midnight Costume Ball? I am as Neriandal Freit, The Guardian.

Ah, so you did get your rooms? At one point, the other night, you weren't sure.

As for the Ball, I have no idea if I'm going..... hmmm.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2008 :  02:46:29  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's a costume ball? Neat. The Lady K and I need costume ideas!

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2008 :  02:52:26  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

There's a costume ball? Neat. The Lady K and I need costume ideas!

Aye, sorry, I forgot to mention it the night we dicussed gencon. :) I never got around to going in 2006, so it completely slipped my mind. As for costumes, that was what my hmmmm was all about. HAHAH.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2008 :  21:06:09  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Chris Perkins, yesterday, in his online journal, confirmed that WOTC will be at Gencon, btw..

Edited by - Kuje on 17 May 2008 21:09:08
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6648 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2008 :  00:46:14  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just don't forget the golden rule: whenever you see a game designer or author it is really important that you start a conversation with them with the following prefacing statement: "Let me tell you about my character ..."

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2008 :  02:45:08  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Just don't forget the golden rule: whenever you see a game designer or author it is really important that you start a conversation with them with the following prefacing statement: "Let me tell you about my character ..."

-- George Krashos

Make sure said person is not holding any sharp implements (scissors, pens, forks, knitting needles, and the like) at the time. They may hurt themselves when they run away screaming, should they trip.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 14 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000