Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2010)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 87

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2010 :  03:16:32  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

Ahem, Sage, Wooly can we get back to the topic at hand, not how WotC mismanages there website.

It's a relevant topic, since someone asked about the Spin A Yarn links.

But it brings up a minor, related question... Ed, as someone who contributes web content... When you get something published on the website, do they give you a link to it, or do you have to find it the same way everyone else does? And do they tell you when it's actually posted?

As an addendum to Wooly's questions, Ed, I'd also like to know whether you see the final edited article before it's posted on the Wizards site? Or do you simply have to take note of any editorial changes once the article is made publicly available?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 11 Jan 2010 03:18:11
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2010 :  05:02:39  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message
Hello Ed,

Do you ever get to simply PLAY a character in the Forgotten Realms?

Anything you could share about your favorite character if you do indeed get to play on more than occasion?

Many thanks.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2010 :  00:21:59  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Ed is incommunicado for a day or two whilst he sorts out some family business, but Wooly and Sage: from my talks with him, I gather that Ed usually gets told AFTER an article goes up (and sometimes not at all). He doesn't get to see the final text or have any say in it, and until he recently got temporary access to D&D Insider, couldn't even see the articles unless someone copied out the text and sent it or attached it as a file and sent it (which Wizards staffers have in the past done, to aid Ed in writing followups). I'd say that the "constant back-and-forth phone calls and later e-mails" close daily relationship that Ed had in the "good old days" has faded over the years, with the loss of staff, change in ownership and management styles, etc.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2010 :  10:59:22  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
Ah, more questions, this time regarding Swords of Dragonfire:
I assume yassandra was a traitor (she killed a War Wizard for no reason, didn't follow Laspeera, etc.) So why does it seem as if Laspeera cared that Pennae had killed her and taken her belt, along with all the magic it held?
This actually refers to Swords of Eveningstar: Why were they knighted in the first place? Was it for foiling the Zhentarim in Arabel, or for agreeing to become Lords and ladies of Shadowdale and so help Cormyr?
What was the full story of Emmaera Dragonfire, and what happened to her treasure and Swords?
What is 'The Crown of the Slayer' and 'The Hunting Blade'?
Who was Rathgar (the young boy caught trying to break into a house, who was arrested and escaped), and how did he know about Alusair being in Arabel that night?
What is the meaning of 'alarphon'? That is, where does this word come from?
What was the end of Amarauna Telfalcon and Terentane?
Who was Ilmdrar of Zazzesspur referring to when he wrote in 'Dreams of a Dark Future: A Sage's Visions Regarding Fair Tethyr': "Oh, but the realm should tremble if ever the Knights go to war"? And what more can you tell us of his book?

"Shall mortal man be more just than God? shall a man be more pure than his maker?
Behold, he put no trust in his servants; and his angels he charged with folly.
How much less them that dwell in houses of clay, whose foundation in the dust, are crushed before the moth?" - Eliphaz the Temanite, Job IV, 17-19.

"Yea, though he live a thousand years twice, yet hath he seen no good: do not all go to one place?" - Ecclesiastes VI, 6.

"There are no stupid questions – just a bunch of inquisitive idiots."

"Let's not call it 'hijacking'. Let's call it 'Thread Drift'."
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2010 :  16:06:46  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Menelvagor, I'm not Ed or THO, obviously, but some answers to your questions posted above:
- - The full story of Emmaera Dragonfire is NDA (according to Ed, last GenCon, which means obviously there are future fiction or game article plans).
- - "Rathgar" is the future Knight of Myth Drannor Torm. In this trilogy, you see brief glimpses of both Torm and his cleric friend, before they become Knights.
- - Ed invented the word "alarphon" for his "War Wizard internal investigator/military police" officers, as he has created or invented (or popularized, like the concept of deities having portfolios) so many of the words we use in the Realms and in D&D.
No doubt Ed will give you much better answers, in the fullness of time, but I can at least start to help with answers to these.
BB
Go to Top of Page

Baleful Avatar
Learned Scribe

Canada
161 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2010 :  18:34:12  Show Profile  Visit Baleful Avatar's Homepage Send Baleful Avatar a Private Message
And I'd say the Knights got their knighthoods for two reasons: Queen Filfaeril was trying to give them some measure of protection from nobles and commoners making accusations against them/framing them in Cormyr, by signaling that they had some royal approval, AND it was a case of "here's your knighthoods, now get out of town" on Vangey's part, to force them into the Dales and so advance Cormyr's influence in the Dales by their very presence. Influence later increased by sending a Rowanmantle to romance and marry Mourngrym, who had been made "the" Lord of Shadowdale by the senior Knights so they could go on adventuring.
THO? Ed? Disagreement? Corrections?
(I think this got discussed before at the Keep, back when the books were first published. I'm hoping we'll see more of Cormyr in ELMINSTER MUST DIE!, myself.)

Edited by - Baleful Avatar on 12 Jan 2010 18:41:25
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2010 :  20:15:59  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
I recall Ed saying Shaerl Rowanmantle was Cormyr's envoy to Shadowdale, intended to spy on Mourngrym (and the Dales, from Shadowdale), and if possible to seduce him and so gain influence over him - - and she did all that, but also fell in love with him and married him, with the blessing of Azoun and the rest of the Obarskyrs (but not entirely to Vangerdahast's pleasure).
BB
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2010 :  22:04:31  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
Thanks for your answers. My suspicion regarding the Knighting was that it was everything together - both your reasons and mines.
Regarding alarphons - I was certain it was an invention of Ed's. However, it doesn't sound like a human word. Rather it reminds me of elvish. In fact I almost mistook it for 'Armanthor' when I first saw it, thinking Cormyr had stolen the name from Cormanthyr. So I want to know its origins.
Oh, and another question: What happened to Vangey's mind that he decided to demand Elminster, Khelben and Manshoon leave Cormyr immediately? It was hilariously funny, especially when the most Vangey could say was "This- this is not done!", but why did Vangey even try? Was it a temporary 'brain fart', as we call them, or pride and anger overtaking common sense?

"Shall mortal man be more just than God? shall a man be more pure than his maker?
How much less them that dwell in houses of clay, whose foundation in the dust, are crushed before the moth?" - Eliphaz the Temanite, Job IV, 17-19.

"Yea, though he live a thousand years twice, yet hath he seen no good: do not all go to one place?" - Ecclesiastes VI, 6.

Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2010 :  22:57:56  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Hello Ed and Lady,

In your homebrew game do you have any lore on the oldest existing vampiric creatures in Faerun as of the year 1374, anything at all you can recollect.

Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2010 :  03:32:58  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Menelvagor, you're quite right: "alarphon" originated as an elven word, already in use before Myth Drannor was opened to other races than elves. Back then, it meant something like "those who keep discipline within families" and was an expression of role, not a formal rank or a title.
After Myth Drannor was opened to all races, there were many cases of elves exploiting these non-elf newcomers by magically prying and eavesdropping - - and a few cases of human spellcasters doing the same to elves.
So "alarphon" became the unofficial title of a few spellcasters (led and appointed by the Srinshee) to police magical abuses, "undercover" and "behind the scenes."
These replies come from Ed's notes.
As for the hilarious scene with Vangerdahast you mention: that was a case of, yes, Vangey's pride and anger overcoming his prudence and worldly wisdom. He was protesting that, no matter what power El, Khelben, and Manshoon might wield, HE (Vangey) was in charge here (in Cormyr), his word was law, and if they cared about law and order at all, they should recognize his authority, respect his demand, and "take their fight outside."
It was, of course, a futile demand, but Ed was pointing out the difference between empty authority and real power, and the problems when the two don't match. Note that Elminster is the most chaotic of the three wizards Vangey wanted gone; both Khelben and Manshoon DO see the need for law, authority, and adherence to it, whereas Elminster sees most strongly the need to keep order/the peace . . . so you can also see Vangey's outburst as desperation; he KNOWS he can't match any of the three (he was Elminster's apprentice years back), but is trying to appeal to their better natures, because it's all that's left to him. He's just so angry that he does it very awkwardly.
Those are the sort of Ed scenes I love so much. He tackles very complicated issues and confrontations, and DOESN'T usually give us a narrator's "right" or "wrong" conclusion, just tells us what happened and leaves us to ponder and judge for ourselves.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Aysen
Learned Scribe

115 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2010 :  05:06:15  Show Profile  Visit Aysen's Homepage Send Aysen a Private Message
Hi Ed, LHO, and fellow scribes,

I've another salvo of questions from Ed and Elaine's The City of Splendors. Thank you so much for answering the last one about spell-sacrifices and prayers.

LHO, Your comment about Ed's deft handling of character interaction seems a good time to ask Ed about one of the Gemcloaks, Roldo Thongolir. I'm not sure whether Ed or Elaine will have more to say on this, but here goes.

Based on certain phrases and interactions with characters in a few chapters of the book, are Roldo Thongolir and/or his wife Sarintha Thann bisexual/gay/asexual? Theirs is an arranged marriage, hastily assembled in the wake of him becoming family heir after the Deepwater War, and under pressure to be a financial (if not filial) success. For these types of marriages mutual attraction is not a requirement, and Roldo admits theirs is not one of passion.

When Roldo and Korvaun Helmfast discuss the marriage and honeymoon, Korvaun offers the delicate observation that the marriage will work out, "as they find enjoyment in mutual interests."

In a scene between Roldo and Asper, Roldo declines the ownership of a slipshield, fearing that the device's shapechanging ability would sorely tempt one who is used to living behind a mask, and pretending to be someone else. Ed, in that scene is Roldo speaking generally or specifically about himself, and if so, does that refer to his sexual preference, or to the fact he is striving to mask the unexpected burden of being the Thongolir heir behind the "noble wastrel facade"?

There, I've laid out my case, under the most circumstantial of evidence . Interesting, that I'd never have considered such an angle, if not for last year's queries about the sexual activities of characters in Elminster in Myth Drannor and the Knights Trilogy.

Thank you in advance again Ed and LHO!

Edited by - Aysen on 13 Jan 2010 05:10:12
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2010 :  16:27:42  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Aysen, from my understanding (based on many chats with Ed, though several years ago, now), your supposition about Roldo is entirely correct.
However, all that is left in the published novel, thanks to the drastic shortening it had to undergo, are the hints you've mentioned.
I believe Elaine did most of the initial "drawing the characters" of the nobles as part of her lead role of plotting the novel, so Roldo and his "marriage of convenience" is probably her idea.
On the other hand, Roldo and ANOTHER, now entirely missing from the book due to the shortening, young noble MAY have been "telescoped" together in the editing, and this now-vanished noble may have originally been the "openly gay" character.
I'm not sure how overt any homosexuality would have been, in the unshortened mammoth first draft, because TSR/Wizards Realms books have tended to follow the "sexual matters if germane to the plot, absent if not" approach. I'm sure there would have been scenes that made the personal feelings of any gay character(s) clear, but I doubt they would have been "sex scenes" as North America generally uses that term.
I do know that Peter Archer (now long gone from Wizards) was the editor on this book. Ed is still out of touch catching up on real-world obligations (though your query has already been forwarded to him), and Elaine would probably be the best person to confirm all of this.
We should also bear in mind that "suggesting but not confirming" is a technique that Ed, Elaine, and many other writers like to use in storytelling, for some things but not others. This may have ended up being the way this was handled, even if it wasn't initially intended to be this veiled. Having to cut more than a third of a book means a LOT of stuff had to go.
love,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 13 Jan 2010 16:29:08
Go to Top of Page

Broken Helm
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2010 :  16:36:41  Show Profile  Visit Broken Helm's Homepage Send Broken Helm a Private Message
Dear Ed and THO,
Can you tell us any heraldic information about any Cormyrean nobles who might be seen hunting (or riding, for any other reason) in the westernmost reaches of Cormyr, pre-Spellplague (i.e. ending at the mountains, not reaching into Tunland).
Also, to createvmind: from what I've heard Ed say at some GenCon seminars, I'd guess that finding out "oldest" (or ANYTHING "most" or "least") about anyone in the Realms would be something discovered only through roleplaying. Ed likes to keep NPCs mysterious until players have their characters discover things about them.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2010 :  00:18:27  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
Friend Ed and lovely Hooded One, I find myself pondering situations of deific overlap... Let's say we have a mage named Tahm. Tahm finds himself in a desparate situtation. He has a spell that may save his backside, but he knows there's a good possibility that it won't work properly -- maybe it's too powerful for him, or he lacks the right components, or he's tired/wounded, whatever.

Tahm tosses a couple quick prayers at Azuth, Mystra, and Tymora. Then he casts the spell...

Who covers this situation? Some good luck would immprove his chances of getting the spell to work correctly. Azuth's guidance may help him better concentrate and/or compensate for whatever's going on. And of course it's Mystra's Weave he's calling on...

A similar overlap could be a warrior trying to make a tricky shot with a bow, or a ranger who hopes that he'll be lucky enough to have the orcs following him stumble into his hastily-prepared trap...

There's no rush on this one. I'm just curious about situations where more than one deity would have an interest in or the ability to influence the outcome.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 14 Jan 2010 00:21:18
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2010 :  00:30:38  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

I'm sure there would have been scenes that made the personal feelings of any gay character(s) clear, but I doubt they would have been "sex scenes" as North America generally uses that term.
Ed, I'm curious about this bit. Could you elaborate? [Oh, and if it's simply about content too-sensitive for the younglings here at Candlekeep, please feel free to send your response via my email]

Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2010 :  00:39:13  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message
I never read that book personally. Is Sarintha Thann one of Danilo's sisters, or another relation to him?

Telethian Phoenix
Pathfinder Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2010 :  01:19:25  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Penknight

I never read that book personally. Is Sarintha Thann one of Danilo's sisters, or another relation to him?

Hmmm. I don't recall seeing Sarintha referenced on Eric Boyd's "Thann family tree."

Mayhap she was a new creation for the novel? I can't recall at the moment.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2010 :  01:33:57  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Wooly, any or all three of those deities COULD aid the spellcaster, in that situation (being as he prayed to all of them), but Ed's in-campaign rule (and he created Azuth and Mystra) is that in all situations of "casting prowess" for spellcasters. if they're human, Azuth is THE guy.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2010 :  01:41:00  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
And hi yet again.
Sage, re. this, earlier, from me: "I'm sure there would have been scenes that made the personal feelings of any gay character(s) clear, but I doubt they would have been "sex scenes" as North America generally uses that term."

What I meant was: I don't think either Ed or Elaine would have written explicit homosexual sex scenes (and if they had, I don't think the editors at Wizards would have let them make it into print), but I can see both Ed and Elaine having same-gender characters talking to each other, in private, that would make their feelings for each other clear to any reader. Without any physical sexual activity or necessarily any contact (e.g. hugging) at all.

Please bear in mind this is MY OPINION (based on discussions about the published book with Ed, after I read it), not something gleaned through "seeing the uncut original manuscript" or anything of the sort. Both Ed and Elaine may well disagree with me. Yet I'm not trying to push "my view," I'm trying to give you my best guess as to how these two writers, one of whom I know rather well, and both of whom I've read darned near every published fantasy fiction word of (not just their Realms work), would have handled such matters, in CITY OF SPLENDORS.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2010 :  02:05:11  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Neat.

Would it be possible to pose this question to Ed as well, for his personal opinion on that matter?

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2010 :  04:00:13  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hi again, all.
Wooly, any or all three of those deities COULD aid the spellcaster, in that situation (being as he prayed to all of them), but Ed's in-campaign rule (and he created Azuth and Mystra) is that in all situations of "casting prowess" for spellcasters. if they're human, Azuth is THE guy.
love,
THO

I figured it would be something like that, but I wanted to make sure.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 14 Jan 2010 04:08:58
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2010 :  04:17:29  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Neat.

Would it be possible to pose this question to Ed as well, for his personal opinion on that matter?

Actually, disregard that, my Lady. I've got some other similar points I would like to discuss with Ed -- issues of NPC sexuality that recently came up during my last gaming session. I wouldn't mind Ed's input, but I'll send the request via email instead.

Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2010 :  09:08:17  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message
Oh, don't be shy Sage. I am sure others here at the keep want to know as well... :P
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2010 :  16:07:26  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by gomez

Oh, don't be shy Sage. I am sure others here at the keep want to know as well... :P

Actually, it's more about ensuring that two players from my campaign, who sometimes visit Ed's scroll, won't see what I'm planning.

Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2010 :  19:57:54  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
Another quick question which came up randomly as I was going through names: Why did the Seven Sisters change their names? Alassra is known almost exclusively as The Simbul, and I doubt anyone knows who Ethena Astorma, Anastra Sylune, Endue Alustriel, Ambara Dove, Anamanue Laeral, Er'sseae Qilue are. Why did they feel the need to use their second names, or change them? Was it just a matter of dislike, as it seems Dove has as a child in the Temptation of Elminster? Or is it something deeper?

Go to Top of Page

Gelcur
Senior Scribe

502 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2010 :  20:05:19  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message
So I have a fun question for Ed or our Hooded Lady.

City of Splendors describes some of the Crazed Venturers, in its blurb for Nain Keenwhistler it states, "current record holder for most resurrections of any citizen of Waterdeep."

What's the number? I get a feeling there are some funny stories behind this, care to share any of them? Is there someone in Waterdeep that keeps track of this sort of like a Guinness Book of World Records in Waterdeep?

Thanks and I hope this finds all well.

The party come to a town befallen by hysteria

Rogue: So what's in the general store?
DM: What are you looking for?
Rogue: Whatevers in the store.
DM: Like what?
Rogue: Everything.
DM: There is a lot of stuff.
Rogue: Is there a cart outside?
DM: (rolls) Yes.
Rogue: We'll take it all, we may need it for the greater good.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2010 :  23:23:26  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Gelcur, I believe it's over 20 (the number of Nain's resurrections). The character, played by Ken Woods (co-founder and -owner of the increasingly famous Black Oak microbrewery, of Oakville, Ontario), had an unfortunate habit of getting killed in company adventures. A lot.
This "habit" became something of a black humour standing joke amongst Ed's players at the time (before my time). Ed kept detailed written play-by-play logbooks in those days, written out in longhand DURING PLAY. I've seen some of them, and one recurring phrase is ". . . killing Nain. Again."
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2010 :  23:29:12  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Menelvagor,
As it happens, I've discussed the names of the Seven Sisters with Ed a time or sixteen over the years, and it's not necessarily that they changed them, or disliked those they were given...it's a matter of settling, for a wide variety of reasons, on the names they felt most comfortable using, for the wider public, over all the centuries they've been alive. For some it may have started as dislike of their names (or the nicknames derived from them), for others it was just a preference for one name, or a variant of it ("Storm" for "Astorma"), over the other, and several of the Seven became associated with a particular kingdom under one name, and later wanted to disappear for a time and "die" offstage, so as not to attract attention as long-lived, or perhaps immortal . . . so they switched to using another name. The names they appear in published Realmslore under are the names they've settled on, and are known by, in the 1300s DR. (For more on their lives, see Ed's "must have" 2nd edition sourcebook THE SEVEN SISTERS.)
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2010 :  12:36:25  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
Oh, another quick question (I'm getting rather annoying with these, aren't I?):
We were playing a bit yesterday, and a group of Sembians approached the group, offering money for something. The group went into a huddle whether to accept the offer or not, where one of us said: "There is a famous saying from where I come from: 'Beware Sembians bearing money'."
My question is whether there is a Realms version of the saying 'Beware Greeks bearing gifts'., and where does it come from? And if it exists, is it used only in some areas, or does it have different variations in other areas?

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2010 :  17:35:49  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Menelvagor, you're not being annoying; asking questions is what this thread is for.

There are several similar Realms sayings, but the most applicable is probably:
"A Sembian has a heart of grasping gold."
Which has many regional variants, and 'began life' as the still-popular "An Amnian has a heart of grasping gold."
It's actually a shortening of a literary quotation, from an anonymous chapbook of the early 1300s, that contained the line: "A man of Amn has a heart that grasps and thirsts for gold, and eyes that can see nothing else."
This lore comes from some very old (circa 1969) Ed notes, that I once read in his paper-heaped study.
So there, as they say, you have it.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 87 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000