Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2010)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 87

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
716 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2010 :  07:41:20  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message
Ed and/or THO and/or others,

Another Spellfire question for Ed. My Latin is horrible, and my search foo for getting an online translation seems to be almost as bad. What do the two phrases Incudi Reddere and Veteris Vestigia Flammae* in the dedication to the book mean? Or, perhaps rather, what did Ed want them to mean?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

* The closest I could get was "Hammered out something-or-other" and "something-else old flame" (from a line by Virgil).

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms
Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2010 :  14:28:47  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message
I am reading the Last Mythal series, and in Farthest Reach it is said that the Shadowdarrans prefer to be called Grimmar (after a keep).
That was the first time I heard of that.
So how common is the use of Grimmar (pre plague and after)? It doesn't seem like a name a random stranger would know of, and I wonder how long the Shadowdarrans would hang on to it, as it doesn't seem a natural name to remember even for those living there.
I found a post from Wooly Rupert in a 2005 Forgotten Realms Novels thread asking the same thing, but it doesn't seem like there was ever an answer.
Or maybe something to ask Rich Baker?
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2010 :  17:18:07  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
Well, I did say I would have lots of questions, and I'm almost finished with Swords of Eveningstar, so here goes:
How does one 'enjoy mind reaming', as apparently Laspeera does?
What are the properties of Griffon Ink? Are all formal royal documents in Cormyr written with it? Or is it just a one-off thing?
Who was Andrath Dragonarl, and what does his 'call to arms' refer to (p. 200 in softcover)? Or was he just some mad idiot?
I quote from the text opening Chapter 10 (p. 136 in softcover): "The year of the Spur saw the founding of a fellowship that was to shake thrones all across Faerun". What was this Fellowship, and what did they do?
What was Dove's intent in meeting, protecting and following the Knights? A mission from Mystra? Was she already in love with Florin?
Why is Laspeera called Naerinth here, while in Elminster's Daughter she's called Inthré?
Florin think that Pennae reminds him of the tressym that rides Tessaril's shoulder. How has Florin met Tessaril already? Or does it mean that it made him think of the tressym which everyone knows rides on Tessaril's shoulder?
What does Miellki's favor mean, and what was it's point? Does it have anything to do with his later marriage to Dove?
What information can you share with us regarding Tessaril's Hidden House, and does it still exist?
Can you give us a good description of a dethma, and how common it is in the Realms?
Can you tell us more of Murathauna Darmeir, who wrote the book 'Forty Years LooseGowned: Memoirs of a Noble Lowcoin Lass'? She sounds a fascinating character.
Vangey's relationship with both Filfaeril and Azoun seems vastly different from what it was years later, in Cormyr: a Novel. Obviously as they spent more years together, they began to appreciate each other more and learn the other's quirks and things. But could you elaborate some more on the earlier years, where apparently Filfaeril and Azoun would easily punch Vangey?
Lastly, this is kind of continuing my previous question regarding the nobles, in my last post: The nobles seem quite willing to believe anything bad about Azoun, and are constantly complaing of him. For example, about his 'loosecod habits'. Obviously, this is just a noble/monarch thing: they did the same to Alusair, and probably latched on to every flaw in every monarch. But they also seem willing to believe the most preposterous things, for example, Azoun chartering the Swords of Eveningstar so they can go and kill nobles! Again, how does Cormyr survive with such nobles who hate the Dragon Throne so much so as to believe such a stupid thing?
Well, that's all for now.

"Shall mortal man be more just than God? shall a man be more pure than his maker?
Behold, he put no trust in his servants; and his angels he charged with folly.
How much less them that dwell in houses of clay, whose foundation in the dust, are crushed before the moth?" - Eliphaz the Temanite, Job IV, 17-19.

"Yea, though he live a thousand years twice, yet hath he seen no good: do not all go to one place?" - Ecclesiastes VI, 6.

"There are no stupid questions – just a bunch of inquisitive idiots."

"Let's not call it 'hijacking'. Let's call it 'Thread Drift'."
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Learned Scribe

242 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2010 :  17:36:25  Show Profile  Visit Malcolm's Homepage Send Malcolm a Private Message
Hi. Menelvagor, re. your questions just posted, I think Laspeera got married, and so has a maiden surname and a married one.
My question for Ed and THO is this: I've heard a rumor that Ed collaborated with the late Roger Zelazny on something set in Zelazny's famous Amber setting, and it's apparently just been published. True? False? Details?
Thanks!

Edit: typo fixes.

Edited by - Malcolm on 07 Jan 2010 17:37:02
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2010 :  19:54:00  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
Really, Malcolm? is there any information about the spouse?

"Shall mortal man be more just than God? shall a man be more pure than his maker?
How much less them that dwell in houses of clay, whose foundation in the dust, are crushed before the moth?" - Eliphaz the Temanite, Job IV, 17-19.

"Yea, though he live a thousand years twice, yet hath he seen no good: do not all go to one place?" - Ecclesiastes VI, 6.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2010 :  20:34:04  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. Menelvagor, Malcolm is correct. There's not a lot about the spouse in official lore, but he's there, all right (I'm away from my books right now).

Malcolm, years and years ago, Ed "collaborated" on an unfinished Amber fiction fragment with Roger Zelazny because Roger noticed a line or two that Ed had written on a bookmark in one of Ed's father's Amber books, that Ed brought to Roger at a convention, to get signed. Roger added a few lines, so Ed added a few more and brought the bookmark to the next convention he saw Roger at, whereat roger wrote a few more, and so on. This went on until Roger died, so although the fiction fragment was just "for fun" and never intended for publication, and although it's only a few paragraphs long in total, Ed made sure it got published in the last issue of AMBERZINE after Roger died.
NESFA Press has just finished publishing a handsome (hardcover, cover art by Michael Whelan) 6-volume retrospective of Roger's short fiction and poetry, and Volume 6, THE ROAD TO AMBER, which was released just days ago, contains this Ed-and-Roger fragment, "A Secret of Amber" (Ed's title). It really IS just a few paragraphs, so don't expect to find a long-lost Amber story.
BTW, Ed's latest Realms short story, "The Many Murders of Manshoon," appears in REALMS OF THE DEAD, the Realms mass market pbk anthology released just days ago - - along with many other tales of undead by many talented writers familiar to all of us here at the Keep (Bob, Richard Lee Byers, Erik, and so on) and newcomers (like Christopher Rowe) who have settled in at the Keep.
Ed will also very soon be published in two different James Lowder-edited anthologies: THE BEST OF ALL FLESH from Elder Signs Press (which collects the best of the "All Flesh" zombie stories from the series of Eden Studios anthologies Jim edited), and FAMILY GAMES: THE 100 BEST, from Green Ronin, which missed its intended GenCon 2009 release but is finally "ready" (Ed is one of a hundred game designers contributing entries on games not by them, that they recommend for families to play; Ed tackled the game that's known in North America as "Hey, That's My Fish!").
I also expect to see more Ed-work in forthcoming Paizo and Open Design products, not to mention the continuing Realms lore appearing on the Wizards of the Coast website. Yes, our Ed has, as usual, been a very busy boy . . .
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2010 :  21:32:31  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
...And he's even busier than I thought!
This just showed up in my e-inbox, from Ed, in response to Kyrene's query: "Ed and/or THO and/or others,
Another Spellfire question for Ed. My Latin is horrible, and my search foo for getting an online translation seems to be almost as bad. What do the two phrases Incudi Reddere and Veteris Vestigia Flammae* in the dedication to the book mean? Or, perhaps rather, what did Ed want them to mean?
Thanks in advance for your replies.
* The closest I could get was "Hammered out something-or-other" and "something-else old flame" (from a line by Virgil)."
Ed replies:

Heh. Those two phrases were something of a comment on my part, about the new edition of SPELLFIRE.
The first is from Horace. "Incudi Reddere" literally means "return to the anvil" (and means "to touch up" or "to revise").
The second is, as you discovered, from Virgil, and means "remnants of an ancient flame" (Virgil was commenting on the original "old flame," meaning the passion Dido, Queen of Carthage, had for Aeneas, who was shipwrecked in her land. When he departed Carthage, she was so devastated that she threw herself into flames, and perished. I didn't quite mean my comment in such a drastic vein; I meant that what you were reading was what was left of the bright passion of my first Realms novel, my first chance to fictionally share the world I loved with a wider audience).

So saith Ed. Voila! Step right up, scribes, and get your potted Latin lessons here!
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Nevorick
Acolyte

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2010 :  01:13:11  Show Profile  Visit Nevorick's Homepage Send Nevorick a Private Message
Happy New Year to all other scribes, sages, and lorekeepers!

I have a few questions about Waterdeep (Prior to 4th Edition and the Spell Plague)
After re-reading Elminster's Daughter for the third time (But this time with my campaign set in the City of Splendors) I was hoping to learn locations of the Rain Bird Rooming House (i.e. next door to..., or five doors north of... on Salabar Street, etc.) and the location of Caethur the Moneylender's shop?

Finally, can Ed share any information about any embassies that exist in Waterdeep? I've only read something about a Lantan Embassy, I'm sure a powerful and political city like Waterdeep has quite a few, am I right?

Thanks!

Nevorick

"What happens in Waterdeep, stays in Waterdeep."
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2010 :  17:00:08  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
Thanks for the quick reply to my Orlumbor-question Ed.

And here's another one: What does the heraldic arms of Orlumbor look like (presuming it has one)?

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2010 :  02:30:25  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Nevorick, Waterdeep in the 1360s or earlier actually has very few embassies as we real-world moderns know the term. Instead, it has lots of "envoys" from other realms and city-states, who buy or rent mansions in North Ward and Sea Ward. They hold revels and trade meetings in these homes, and entertain delegations from various guilds and individual Waterdhavians there, though they go to Piergeiron's Palace for most "official" negotiations and discussions. Like any wealthy mansion, these homes have walls and servants and guards (and may have traps to deter intruders), but they are NOT like our real-world embassies where the land inside the walls is considered the sovereign soil of the foreign country, and Waterdhavians can't enter there, operate there, or have any authority there. In some cases, due to political sensitivies, some Lords of Waterdeep may order "hands off" treatment akin to that, but that's very far from having legal rights that the outlanders can trust in, or anyone can claim the protect of.
These comments I've made come from playing in Ed's campaign, seeing some of his notes, and on one occasion hearing him explain these differences to a TSR designer who couldn't seem to mentally separate the Realms from our modern real world (or even understand that American norms aren't considered the norms everywhere, or that things have changed over the centuries, in our real world).
By the way, these official "envoys" resident in Waterdeep are often quite separate from the "factors" (trade agents) of various countries operating in Waterdeep, and may not even know when large numbers of people, or specific individuals, from "their" country arrive in, or take up residence in, Waterdeep.
I hope I've explained this clearly enough; feel free to quiz me further, and of course your original query has already gone to Ed, to see what he'll add, amplify, or correct in what I've said.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2010 :  02:33:55  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Dear Ed and THO,
Nevorick's question about Caethur reminds me of hearing Ed talk at Bucca di Beppo at GenCon recently, about "Caethur son of Caethur" in Waterdeep. Are these Caethurs related?
Thanks!
BB
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2010 :  16:40:35  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
To quickly finish up my questions on Swords of Eveningstar, three more questions, and an additional one, brought on by the prologue of Swords of Dragonfire:
What was the eventual fate of Lady Rharaundra Yellander?
If Dove was too late to save Florin from the snake with mindworms, who did save him? Old Ghost?
Why did Narantha feel it neccesary to do what she did, rather than seek a wizard for help?
and the one brought on by Sword of Dragonfire: Ed spoke some of Hesperdan once, and said this, on January 3, 2005: "I can let slip that Hesperdan has an important future role to play, but we may not see much of it "onstage," as it were."
Will we still see Hesperdan in the new Realms after the Spellplague? And will we finally learn more of him?

Go to Top of Page

Nevorick
Acolyte

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2010 :  19:43:42  Show Profile  Visit Nevorick's Homepage Send Nevorick a Private Message
My thanks, Lady THO. That is indeed a great help regarding embassies.

Ever your servant,

Nevorick

"What happens in Waterdeep, stays in Waterdeep."
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2010 :  03:22:43  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Menelvagor, re. Hesperdan: check out Ed's story "The Many Murders of Manshoon" in REALMS OF THE DEAD.
Heh-heh. And so forth.
BB
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2010 :  03:24:51  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Sage? Wooly? This new thread of Ed's is going wonky again! (Not updating, timing out on posts.) Hellllp!
BB
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2010 :  03:33:07  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Blueblade

Sage? Wooly? This new thread of Ed's is going wonky again! (Not updating, timing out on posts.) Hellllp!
BB

Aye. The Forum Tables need to be re-initialised again.

I'll see what I can do.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2010 :  06:38:41  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
Ho, another quick question, though this is a more general one: Does anyone know where the Spin a Yarn stories are? I've tried the links Wooly posted, but it ddn't work.

Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2010 :  08:02:35  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message
the last one I saw was this one
http://www.wizards.com/books/SpinAYarn2008.pdf

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2010 :  10:38:34  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
Thanks a lot. That link works, but what of the others?

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2010 :  14:15:46  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Menelvagor

Ho, another quick question, though this is a more general one: Does anyone know where the Spin a Yarn stories are? I've tried the links Wooly posted, but it ddn't work.

This is what I hate about the Wizards web folks... All of those links worked as recently as the last Spin A Yarn tale. But once more, they rearranged their website, and didn't bother to put any kind of redirects in place.

Now I've got to look for the new story locations.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2010 :  14:20:01  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
I've found the new locations of the tales. They moved them all to the Mirrorstone section of the site.

I don't know if this reflects not putting any effort into it, or if they have a tool that's supposed to automatically update all the links and they just never check them... But here's the real rub: all the stories that have intro pages, with links to the rest of the story -- those links point to the old location!

Even hitting Google didn't help... I managed to stumble across one of the new locations, and had to extrapolate from there. I've corrected my own page that leads to the stories, and tested every single link. I'll be updating my Spin A Yarn links thread in just a moment. All the links can be found there.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 10 Jan 2010 14:44:10
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2010 :  15:50:28  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

This is what I hate about the Wizards web folks... All of those links worked as recently as the last Spin A Yarn tale. But once more, they rearranged their website, and didn't bother to put any kind of redirects in place.
Though, I will note that one of the Wizards web guys noted, on their message boards, that a "temporary detour" page for redirection would be uploaded soon. Over course, that was over a month and a half ago, so...

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2010 :  15:52:29  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

I've found the new locations of the tales. They moved them all to the Mirrorstone section of the site.

I don't know if this reflects not putting any effort into it, or if they have a tool that's supposed to automatically update all the links and they just never check them... But here's the real rub: all the stories that have intro pages, with links to the rest of the story -- those links point to the old location!

Even hitting Google didn't help... I managed to stumble across one of the new locations, and had to extrapolate from there. I've corrected my own page that leads to the stories, and tested every single link. I'll be updating my Spin A Yarn links thread in just a moment. All the links can be found there.

I'm going to discuss with Alaundo maintaining a new section on the main site of Candlekeep which incorporates the updated links. Once that's done, I'll schedule quarterly reviews of the various "Spin A Yarn" links to ensure they're still active. At least then, we should be able to keep on-top of any future navigation changes.

Edited by - The Sage on 10 Jan 2010 15:53:38
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2010 :  16:52:18  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

quote:

Though, I will note that one of the Wizards web guys noted, on their message boards, that a "temporary detour" page for redirection would be uploaded soon. Over course, that was over a month and a half ago, so...

I'd believe that if we had ever seen something like that in the past... I can think of at least a couple other site redesigns that left stuff stranded, with no links pointing to it... And that doesn't include the site redesign that left stuff like the original Roll of Years file floating in the ethers.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2010 :  16:53:40  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

I'm going to discuss with Alaundo maintaining a new section on the main site of Candlekeep which incorporates the updated links. Once that's done, I'll schedule quarterly reviews of the various "Spin A Yarn" links to ensure they're still active. At least then, we should be able to keep on-top of any future navigation changes.

What about other stuff? We've got a lot of links scattered around, pointing to stuff that Wizards has shuffled to other locations...

Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2010 :  17:21:33  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message
I have a Myth Drannor question, post spell plague, do they have cavalry and what do they have use mounts?

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2010 :  00:12:13  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

I'd believe that if we had ever seen something like that in the past... I can think of at least a couple other site redesigns that left stuff stranded, with no links pointing to it... And that doesn't include the site redesign that left stuff like the original Roll of Years file floating in the ethers.
Indeed. It's been a history of errors for the Wizards site when it comes to their redesign efforts. I've got so many dead-links in my URL file that it would take at least a week to go through and properly ascertain which ones are still active and which need to be rediscovered.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2010 :  00:14:28  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

What about other stuff? We've got a lot of links scattered around, pointing to stuff that Wizards has shuffled to other locations...

Hmmm. The "Spin A Yarn" stuff was my primary focus because it seems to be among the most itinerant of Wizards' FR online material.

I'll probably want to assign a new section for that material as well. As I said above, re-discovering which links still work and which are now dead will probably take some time, though.

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2010 :  02:15:31  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message
Ahem, Sage, Wooly can we get back to the topic at hand, not how WotC mismanages there website.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2010 :  03:05:49  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

Ahem, Sage, Wooly can we get back to the topic at hand, not how WotC mismanages there website.

It's a relevant topic, since someone asked about the Spin A Yarn links.

But it brings up a minor, related question... Ed, as someone who contributes web content... When you get something published on the website, do they give you a link to it, or do you have to find it the same way everyone else does? And do they tell you when it's actually posted?

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 11 Jan 2010 03:09:26
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 87 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000