Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2010)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 87

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2010 :  19:58:46  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message
Nice quote... did the chapbook have a title?
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2010 :  22:00:55  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Hello All,

Would you say powerful undead would have sought out Mythanthar's Orbs since they block passage of living creatures or are there other versions of this magic item possibly created during the 1370's?
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2010 :  17:10:31  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Gelcur, I believe it's over 20 (the number of Nain's resurrections). The character, played by Ken Woods (co-founder and -owner of the increasingly famous Black Oak microbrewery, of Oakville, Ontario), had an unfortunate habit of getting killed in company adventures. A lot.
This "habit" became something of a black humour standing joke amongst Ed's players at the time (before my time). Ed kept detailed written play-by-play logbooks in those days, written out in longhand DURING PLAY. I've seen some of them, and one recurring phrase is ". . . killing Nain. Again."
love,
THO

At least 20? Poor sod.

and speaking of something completely different, has Ed or you seen James Cameron's Avatar? And if so, what did you think of it?

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Learned Scribe

242 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2010 :  17:25:10  Show Profile  Visit Malcolm's Homepage Send Malcolm a Private Message
AVATAR was asked about (and answered) at the end of last year's version of this thread.
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2010 :  19:27:23  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Broken Helm

Dear Ed and THO,
Can you tell us any heraldic information about any Cormyrean nobles who might be seen hunting (or riding, for any other reason) in the westernmost reaches of Cormyr, pre-Spellplague (i.e. ending at the mountains, not reaching into Tunland).

Let me add to this question, milady THO: could Ed perhaps give any heraldic information about the three Silver families (Huntsilver, Crownsilver and Truesilver), i.e. descriptions of their respective coats-of-arms?

It would be really, really helpful for me, as these families play an important role in my Cormyr campaign.

Thanks to you both in advance!

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2010 :  23:33:20  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Malcolm

AVATAR was asked about (and answered) at the end of last year's version of this thread.

Indeed.

See THO's 13 Dec. reply here.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Gelcur
Senior Scribe

503 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2010 :  23:45:28  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message
Hehe, thank you Hooded Lady. Seems there is always one in most groups that builds that sort of name for his characters.

On an unrelated note is there any chance that would get Ed's corrected Yawning Portal map? You had mentioned a few years back that it was sent in for Expedition to Undermountain but alas got missed again. Is it just the old map with a longer common room or is it completely different? Maybe just a few hints as to what it looks like even.

Thanks again.

The party come to a town befallen by hysteria

Rogue: So what's in the general store?
DM: What are you looking for?
Rogue: Whatevers in the store.
DM: Like what?
Rogue: Everything.
DM: There is a lot of stuff.
Rogue: Is there a cart outside?
DM: (rolls) Yes.
Rogue: We'll take it all, we may need it for the greater good.
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2010 :  01:37:57  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Hello All,

I am wondering if a woman's cycle ever came up in gameplay, are there herbal remedies or potions to arrest or slow the bleeding in vital situations.

Example, a female ranger is attempting to scout out enemy camp, her cycle complicates her ability to remain hidden by scent I would think unless there are herbs to cover her smell, secondly how is the actual bleeding dealt with?

What about just social events and a woman has her period, what is done to prevent staining her undergarments? And how is blood washed out of white clothing, silk, etc???
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2010 :  03:55:38  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message
that would indeed be an interesting answer....
but I'd wager that you might not see an answer there....

and said blood would likely get on said loincloth and thrown out before it would get on silk and such formal outfits....

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2010 :  05:27:43  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
There's at least a couple of relative bits from Ed that we've already seen, on the topic of menstruation. These are copied from my files; the dates come from the dates on the files, so they may be slightly off:

From an April 2004 post about undergarments and seduction:

quote:
For the lower half of the body, both men and women wear clouts: a very tight leather, cloth, or cord (listed here in descending order of perceived quality and durability) belt worn around the hips, and usually held tight by multiple hooks (like a modern bra) at the front. Then a long, diaper-like strip of rectangular cloth (usually cotton) is passed between the legs, up through the front of the belt to dangle down, and up through the back of the belt to dangle down. In other words, the “breechclout” of some native American tribes. In many cases, the dangling front and back ends are designed to be tied together, and the cloth may be folded in on itself for extra absorbency or padding (especially when the wearer expects to be riding a mount). Menstruating women usually place another layer or two of red-hued cloth inside the clout and change this as necessary, and yes, clouts can be purchased that are decorative and ‘made to be seen.’ Freshly-perfumed clouts are often sold in Waterdeep and other large cities.

From a July 2006 post about feminine hygiene (the 2004 post mentioned here is the one I clipped for the above quote):
quote:
Second: menstrual cycles and their treatment. Social and practical. Social: Selune, Chauntea, and many other deities keep “closeness to natural cycles” strong in the minds of all Faerûnians; there’s no religious or societal stigma about menstruation. Women aren’t regarded as “unclean” at any time, menses are no bar to sexual activity, and any embarrassment is purely of the “Oh, now I’ve stained a nice [or borrowed] garment” variety. Menstruation is never called “the curse” or anything of the sort in the Realms; in Faerûn, it’s “lifeblood” or “moonblood” or even “Selune’s kiss” or “under the moon” (as in: “I’m under the moon just now, so pack extra redcloths”).
Time for the practical. Please see my reply on page 21 of my 2004 replies, here at Candlekeep, for information about undergarments (specifically clouts and redcloths).
Blood-stained “redcloths” will be washed or at least rinsed out daily, often in scented water. To avoid being tracked by beasts following scent, wilderland-travelling women often discard (by burying them) redcloths as they go; if they can find dew or any sort of water in which to wash the cloths (including stagnant swampwater), they’ll do so, often dousing the cloth with perfume beforehand to minimize any odours the water causes. The most popular “travelling wash” for redcloths (practiced, for example, by women stopping at a rustic inn) is cheap wine followed by rinsing with rainbarrel water. Please bear in mind that there’s no embarrassment or stigma attached to this, even for young females experiencing their first menses; no one will be trying to do this “on the sly,” and inns high and low will anticipate this need and have facilities for it (that’s why there are ewers of water sitting in washbasins in most inn rooms, AND spare washbasins underneath beds, alongside the chamberpots). Most inns and taverns do a busy daily trade in buying new redcloths and disposing of old ones (they become scrubbing rags).

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 18 Jan 2010 05:29:18
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2010 :  05:52:48  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message
Only at Candlekeep.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2010 :  06:23:43  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

but I'd wager that you might not see an answer there....
Why?

Ed's dealt with sensitive and/or private subjects before, as those quotes from Wooly just proved.

Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2010 :  19:31:23  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Thanks for the archive lore, still hope I get a bit more, what do aquatic races do? Did have have Ranger/Druid/ Clerics of Nature learn spells that masked their smell but never saw actual print?
Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2010 :  04:11:36  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message
I know that women in the real world like to use flavored lip gloss and all of that, and I was curious if in the Realms women had anything like that. I have a female elf/fey'ri NPC that uses berries to flavor her lips, and I was wondering if any mages or anyone specialized in making things like that for women, and if so, what is it called, please? Thanks!

Also, if it does exist, would clerics of Hanali likely be the ones that made if for the elven women? And are there certain flavors that are preferred by elfmaids?

Telethian Phoenix
Pathfinder Reference Document

Edited by - Penknight on 19 Jan 2010 04:13:27
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2010 :  20:49:06  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
I'm back, with another slew of questions:
What exactly is the extent of the relationship between Aerilee Summerwood and the Spurbrights? Does this relationship continue in later years? And why did Aerilee go back to Silverymooon after what seems like a few weeks at the most (unless there's more time than I thought between the end of Swords of Dragonfire and the beginning of The Sword Never Sleeps)?
How many female Highknights are there in all of Cormyr during Azoun's time? What is their percentage of all the Highknights? And why does it seem that the two seen in the trilogy have both slept with Azoun? How many of the female Highknights have slept with Azoun?
What exactly was the relationship between Vangey and Laspeera during this time? She seems not to completely trust him, although he trusts her? Why is that?
Why is everyone certain Vangey is trying to rule Cormyr without the Obarskyrs, and is trying to personally get rid of them? For that matter, why does it seem that Vangey is trying to get rid of the Knights, even if it means killing them?
Elminster mentions to Khelben that Mystra has a reason for wanting him in Shadowdale, tells him that he cannot reveal it, and then lists some other reasons. What is that reason? And does it still exist after the Spellplague?
What are Khelben's plans for the Knights? On one hand, he gave them the Pendant of Ashaba. On the other, he's willing ot withdraw protection from them. Why is this? Does he simply see them as expendble pawns that can easily be replaced?
Azoun told Alusair that Vangey is 'too vital' to Cormyr, and therefore shouldn't be defied or annoyed. Surely that's not how the relationship between Cormyr's Monarch and his Royal Magician works - 'I need him, so I'll tolerate him'? Although this probably ties in with my question about the earlier relationship between Vangey and Azoun.
Why did Vangey listen to Alusair's reprimand by Filfaeril?
Tsantress mentioned she noticed Vangey meeting with folk that troubled her deeply. Who were these folk, and why was Vangey meeting them?
Urgh, that's it for now. And I'm not even halfway through! Still, at least I know I'll (barring NDA's) get answers.

"Shall mortal man be more just than God? shall a man be more pure than his maker?
Behold, he put no trust in his servants; and his angels he charged with folly.
How much less them that dwell in houses of clay, whose foundation in the dust, are crushed before the moth?" - Eliphaz the Temanite, Job IV, 17-19.

"Yea, though he live a thousand years twice, yet hath he seen no good: do not all go to one place?" - Ecclesiastes VI, 6.

"There are no stupid questions – just a bunch of inquisitive idiots."

"Let's not call it 'hijacking'. Let's call it 'Thread Drift'."
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Learned Scribe

242 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2010 :  16:04:37  Show Profile  Visit Malcolm's Homepage Send Malcolm a Private Message
Geez, Menelvagor, I dunno...if I was writing a Cormyr novel I'd not want Ed to give public answers to even half of those. Tell ME, as a writer, yes, but nail down specifics for everyone, no. Which leaves me thinking you'll be getting a lot of "Sorry, NDA" answers. Still, worth a try asking.
I can comment on one of your questions, about Azoun telling Alusair Vangey is too vital to be defied or annoyed.
This was discussed at a Gencon seminar, and Ed reminded everyone that fathers use things that happen to educate their children. So Azoun was telling Alusair that just because she's royal, she can't demote, banish, imprison, or have killed anyone who angers her or stops her from getting her way - - because those "anyones" can be far too useful to treat that way.
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2010 :  18:28:28  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
"Can't" meaning "musn't" in Azoun to Alusair, you mean, Malcolm?
BB
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Learned Scribe

242 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2010 :  20:50:01  Show Profile  Visit Malcolm's Homepage Send Malcolm a Private Message
Yes.
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2010 :  15:58:13  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
Possibly, Malcolm. But I'd like answers to the more general questions, regarding relationships and attitudes. I think everybody would benefit from knowing how the relationship between certain people work, and general attitudes towards certain people in Cormyr.
Anyway, more questions: The answer will probably be NDA, and if not I'm certain the question has been asked, but who is the Lost Princess? And how is it that some nobles know of her, and what's her purpose?
Alusair was very surprised when Fee decided to spank her. I assume this means they didn't have much corporal punishment. So what kind of punishments did they use? Something like 'now you have to learn this and this'?
It was mentioned that the old symbol of the War Wizards was 'the dragon encircled by nine stars and then a circle of chain'. I assume 'the dragon' means the Purple Dragon of Cormyr. But what do the chain and stars represent? And what is the new symbol of the War Wizards?

"Shall mortal man be more just than God? shall a man be more pure than his maker?
Behold, he put no trust in his servants; and his angels he charged with folly.
How much less them that dwell in houses of clay, whose foundation in the dust, are crushed before the moth?" - Eliphaz the Temanite, Job IV, 17-19.

"Yea, though he live a thousand years twice, yet hath he seen no good: do not all go to one place?" - Ecclesiastes VI, 6.

"There are no stupid questions – just a bunch of inquisitive idiots."

"Let's not call it 'hijacking'. Let's call it 'Thread Drift'."

Edited by - Menelvagor on 21 Jan 2010 16:01:47
Go to Top of Page

Rhewtani
Senior Scribe

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2010 :  16:43:26  Show Profile Send Rhewtani a Private Message
I'm suddenly wondering if they used whipping boys.
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2010 :  19:34:32  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Re. the War Wizards' symbol: yes, the dragon is Cormyr, and just as obviously, the nine stars represent Mystra (magic).
From what Ed's said at GenCon seminars in the past, an unbroken chain denotes rulership/policing/defending/guardianship (and in this case, its position/location ties the guardianship to Cormyr and magic), whereas a broken chain means escape from servitude/slavery/dominance by someone/something else (such as orcs).
So this would represent the Wizards of War as defending Cormyr with magic.
Right, THO? Ed?
BB
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2010 :  19:37:32  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
EXACTLY right, Blueblade. I couldn't have put it better myself.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2010 :  23:29:37  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message
createvmind, I've always assumed that the subsea races wouldn't have menstrual cycles that result in blood actually being released, since that would be obviously counter to survival in the water in ways that it isn't in the air. That's for those races (like aquatic elves) who are built along human lines, as opposed to other races like locathah, shalarin, and morkoth who breed in other ways.

For instance (provided I'm remembering my high school biology correctly), an earth cat goes through menstrual cycles (the thickening and thinning of the uterine walls), but the blood is all reabsorbed at the conclusion of the cycle. I would imagine something similar happens with sea elves and merfolk, though I can't remember if merfolk give birth to live young or breed like fish.

For that matter, it's also an option for non-human air-breathing races. Certainly any race based on cats, but really you could do it with a lot of demihumans. Another interesting tack would be for those humans infected with lycanthropy to switch from a regular menstruation cycle to one like their animal aspect. Since lycanthropes already have ties to the moon, it would be plausible, and would give an infected woman a clue (or a completely-unrelated scare).

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.

Edited by - Hoondatha on 21 Jan 2010 23:30:55
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2010 :  13:22:33  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hi again, all.
Aysen, from my understanding (based on many chats with Ed, though several years ago, now), your supposition about Roldo is entirely correct.
However, all that is left in the published novel, thanks to the drastic shortening it had to undergo, are the hints you've mentioned.
I believe Elaine did most of the initial "drawing the characters" of the nobles as part of her lead role of plotting the novel, so Roldo and his "marriage of convenience" is probably her idea.
On the other hand, Roldo and ANOTHER, now entirely missing from the book due to the shortening, young noble MAY have been "telescoped" together in the editing, and this now-vanished noble may have originally been the "openly gay" character.
I'm not sure how overt any homosexuality would have been, in the unshortened mammoth first draft, because TSR/Wizards Realms books have tended to follow the "sexual matters if germane to the plot, absent if not" approach. I'm sure there would have been scenes that made the personal feelings of any gay character(s) clear, but I doubt they would have been "sex scenes" as North America generally uses that term....

We should also bear in mind that "suggesting but not confirming" is a technique that Ed, Elaine, and many other writers like to use in storytelling, for some things but not others. This may have ended up being the way this was handled, even if it wasn't initially intended to be this veiled. Having to cut more than a third of a book means a LOT of stuff had to go.
love,
THO

THO is quite correct--there were no explicit scenes depicting Roldo's sexual orientation in the uncut version, not even dialogue or internal monologue that confirmed it. My feeling was that this was an issue the Gemcloaks more or less understood, but did not discuss.

I learned many things from writing this book with Ed, and one of them was NEVER write a book to the outer limits of the established word count. The draft we turned in went right to the edge of the word count range established in the contract, and we were asked to trim the word count substantially--not just once, but twice. I'm currently working on a book that also had a fairly wide word count, and before things went too far I double checked with the editor to see what she REALLY wanted. Because it's not just a matter of a little nip and tuck, maybe cutting a scene here and there. A 90K-word book and a 110K-word book are very different animals. The difference between 110K and 160K, even more so. Pacing, subplots, the number of characters, the passage of time, and many other storytelling elements are profoundly dependent upon story length. And if a scene is easily cut, that usually means it wasn't important in the first place. Removing parts of a story require reshaping the entire story. Ed did most of the heavy lifting on the reduction/rewrite, but even so, it's not an experience I'm eager to relive.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2010 :  13:31:15  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Aysen

Based on certain phrases and interactions with characters in a few chapters of the book, are Roldo Thongolir and/or his wife Sarintha Thann bisexual/gay/asexual? Theirs is an arranged marriage, hastily assembled in the wake of him becoming family heir after the Deepwater War, and under pressure to be a financial (if not filial) success. For these types of marriages mutual attraction is not a requirement, and Roldo admits theirs is not one of passion.

When Roldo and Korvaun Helmfast discuss the marriage and honeymoon, Korvaun offers the delicate observation that the marriage will work out, "as they find enjoyment in mutual interests."

This may come as a shock, so prepare yourself: I intend to give this question a straight answer. (No pun intended.)

Yes, Roldo is gay. Sarintha is not, but she is pragmatic and the marriage of convenience suits her. They are not the first nobly born couple, in fantasy or in real life, who marry against personal inclinations because it is expected of them. Korvaun's statement does NOT reference sexual preferences or practices; he is speaking only in general terms.

quote:
In a scene between Roldo and Asper, Roldo declines the ownership of a slipshield, fearing that the device's shapechanging ability would sorely tempt one who is used to living behind a mask, and pretending to be someone else. Ed, in that scene is Roldo speaking generally or specifically about himself, and if so, does that refer to his sexual preference, or to the fact he is striving to mask the unexpected burden of being the Thongolir heir behind the "noble wastrel facade"?

Yes. It was our goal to depict Roldo as a complex person--an honorable man, a dutiful son, and a loyal friend. He is also gay, but the story is not ABOUT him being gay. A main theme in the novel is the complexity of family and friendships. Another theme is secrets/masks, including hidden identities. Roldo reflects all of these things. I hope readers feel that he dealt with the circumstances of his life and culture with grace and dignity.

Edited by - ElaineCunningham on 22 Jan 2010 13:32:09
Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2010 :  16:39:43  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message
Hello Ed and THO...

I was just wondering, and this question may very much have been asked a milion times before, but im gonna ask it anyways.

The characters like Elminster, Volo, the chosen and so forth are thise character from gaming sessions from whece this game started, or are this just made up for novels and game material.

And if these NPCs was once PL whome did Ed and THO play?

Thx for any answer!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2010 :  23:04:57  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Nicolai Withander

Hello Ed and THO...

I was just wondering, and this question may very much have been asked a milion times before, but im gonna ask it anyways.

The characters like Elminster, Volo, the chosen and so forth are thise character from gaming sessions from whece this game started, or are this just made up for novels and game material.

And if these NPCs was once PL whome did Ed and THO play?

Thx for any answer!

Here's a bit from Ed about the Seven Sisters, which should answer part of your question:

quote:
1) Storm was the first of the Seven I created. An image of her harping by a fireside on the verges of the High Forest on a winter evening, with snow softly falling, but her harp music fueling a spell that kept snow and cold at bay JUST around the fire, for the exhausted, wounded Harpers sleeping around her.
Along comes a band of brigands, who feather her with arrows from afar. In agony, she uses her blood to work a magic that heals her, but her pain sends echoes (through the Weave, though I hadn't named it then; Julia Martin came up with that name, years later), The Simbul feels them, and - - wham! - - teleports in to take panther form and gleefully slash and savage the brigands apart.
That was my first glimpse of the Seven Sisters. I knew there were more, because almost immediately another scene came to mind: a Zhent triumphantly (and mistakenly) reporting to his superior that he'd slain one of the Seven. Said superior reacting in disgust: "you idiot. They'll be after us now. Even if you somehow killed them all, there are more. There are ALWAYS more."
It was a year before Laeral, Alustriel, and Dove got their names, and walked into stories. This'd be 1967-ish.

And another relevant bit:
quote:
Wooly Rupert, Elminster and the Seven Sisters were ALWAYS Chosen of Mystra as they came into personal focus (in other words, by about 1972 I knew what a Chosen of Mystra was, some of the identities of the Chosen, and a lot about Mystra herself; I hadn’t figured out who the Seventh Sister was, and in fact left that for Steven Schend to deal with, much later, but before there ever was a D&D game, I knew that a select circle of powerful folk, many of the ladies being sisters who had silver hair and were ‘almost’ daughters to Mystra, were ‘special’ servants of hers, called the Chosen).

As for THO's character(s), that is known only to her, Ed, and the other members of their gaming group. It's a question that's been asked more than once, but it's one that the lovely Lady Hooded One has to decline answering.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2010 :  23:36:41  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

As for THO's character(s), that is known only to her, Ed, and the other members of their gaming group. It's a question that's been asked more than once, but it's one that the lovely Lady Hooded One has to decline answering.
Yes, as I've said elsewhere, the Lady Hooded One has told us, previously, that she is actually one of Ed’s players who participates in his campaigns as one of the Knights of Myth Drannor. But the Lady Hooded One has kindly asked that we do not question her as to which Knight she plays, and thus, won't say anything more on the issue.

Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2010 :  23:52:40  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message
I wonder if her Most High Ladyship THO would tell us how many character's she has played in ED's games.

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2010 :  03:37:45  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Of COURSE she will.
Three.
One most of the time, and two others briefly.
Also: Ed's campaigns have always had another feature: if your PC gets killed or rendered senseless early in a play session, Ed gives you one of the NPC Knights (Mourngrym was one, Eressea Ambergyles another, and there are more) to play until your PC is "back up." So I've played six or seven other characters, VERY briefly, over the years.
love at all,
THO
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 87 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000