Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Jess Lebow
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2005 :  23:43:45  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well met

This being a collective scroll of any questions the Scribes and visitors of Candlekeep wish to put to a reknowned author of the Realms, namely - Jess Lebow, author of the upcoming novel for the new Fighters Series - Master of Chains. In addition, Jess has also written "The Topaz Dragon" for the Realms of the Dragons anthology and "Assassin's Shadow" from Realms of Shadow (which was also featured in The Best of the Realms, book 1 anthology

Present your questions herein and check back to see what news may also come forth from the quill of this author.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2005 :  00:52:52  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aside from Alaundo, lemme be the first to put his feet up on the table, slam down a frothy mug, and wish Jess a hale-and-hearty greeting to the Beer Golem Tavern!

Welcome to the Realms, ye olde comrade! No one here bites unless specifically requested, and you'll get to like The Hooded One soon enough for that very reason.

Seriously, congrats on the novel and I hope all else is good with you.

Steven

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2005 :  01:51:47  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, let me join with Sage Schend in welcoming you to Candlekeep Jess Lebow. I've greatly enjoyed your work with the Lot5R fiction and I am looking forward to seeing your take on characters and places in the Realms with Master of Chains.

I hope you enjoy your stay here within these humble halls... .

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 26 Aug 2005 02:15:10
Go to Top of Page

The Twin Scimitars
Seeker

USA
96 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2005 :  02:08:17  Show Profile  Visit The Twin Scimitars's Homepage Send The Twin Scimitars a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jess Lebow does FR? I didn't know that but I enjoyed his books in the MTG series so Im sure his books for FR will be equally good if not better. You did a good job with The Darksteel Eye Jess!

Endure, in enduring we grow strong.
-Dak'kon, Planescape Torment
Go to Top of Page

Strahd Von Zarovich
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
135 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2005 :  10:18:46  Show Profile  Visit Strahd Von Zarovich's Homepage Send Strahd Von Zarovich a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And let me be the first to tell you that we will be running a book club for the first novel in The Fighters series by Jess.

Jess will be there to answer your questions as we read through the novel too! Please drop by and take part!

Regards

Strahd

Strahd Von Zarovich

Alaundo and I invite fans of everything D&D to join us!
http://www.worldsofdnd.com
Go to Top of Page

Celebrant Moonflower
Acolyte

USA
47 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2005 :  11:44:25  Show Profile  Visit Celebrant Moonflower's Homepage Send Celebrant Moonflower a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wonderful I really enjoyed the first chapter of Master of Chains. A gripping introduction and I fell in love with the characters instantly.

Welcome to Candlekeep, Mr Lebow. I enjoyed your Legend of the Five Rings writing too and i'm overjoyed to see you writing for the Forgotten Realms.

I just wondered if you based the chapter of Master on anything personal to you. Do you have any brothers yourself? There was a lot of feeling in what I read, I just wondered if you had an elder sibling?

When has truth been utterly devoid of paradox?
Go to Top of Page

Jess Lebow
Forgotten Realms Author

43 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2005 :  23:06:47  Show Profile  Visit Jess Lebow's Homepage Send Jess Lebow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey, everyone,

Thanks for the warm welcome. I've spent many an hour in libraries of Candlekeep ;) but never have I met a finer group to share an ale with.

Steven, how are you my old friend? It's been some time. I'm glad to see you here.

Alaundo, thanks for your gracious invitation. It's very nice to be here.

Celebrant, thank you. I do in fact have a younger brother. At first, I had intended very much to parallel in Master of Chains the relationship he and I have had over the years. But while writing I discovered, as I'm sure many others before me have, that it's impossible to get outside of your own head (at least not by conventional means). So, in the end, I think the two brothers in this book are really just distinct parts of my own twisted self (with a very healthy dose of fiction tossed on top).

Scimitars, thanks for the kind words. I really think Master of Chains is the best book I've written. So, I hope you enjoy it as much as the others.

Sage, you are a gracious host. I'm sure I will find the accomodations to my liking. Thanks for letting me be part of this community.

I'm looking forward to the rousing conversations.

-Jess
Go to Top of Page

The Twin Scimitars
Seeker

USA
96 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2005 :  03:28:57  Show Profile  Visit The Twin Scimitars's Homepage Send The Twin Scimitars a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Who knew that one day I would be talking(so to speak) with Jess Lebow?

Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2005 :  05:19:48  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Let me just say WOW! I couldn't put Master of Chains down, this was the first book I've read in one sitting in a long time. The only problem I had with it is that I didn't want it to end! I hope we get to see more of this cast of characters in the future.

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

Paec_djinn
Learned Scribe

173 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2005 :  10:03:24  Show Profile  Visit Paec_djinn's Homepage Send Paec_djinn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome to Candlekeep! I was a fan of your Realms of Shadows story and I am still contemplating whether I want to buy it or not.

To help things, can you give us a brief overview of the novel?
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2005 :  10:34:39  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Xysma

Let me just say WOW! I couldn't put Master of Chains down, this was the first book I've read in one sitting in a long time. The only problem I had with it is that I didn't want it to end! I hope we get to see more of this cast of characters in the future.

Well met

Tell me, Xysma, what in particular did ye like about the book. Any stand-out moments ye wish to mention? Please post thy comments over in the Master of Chains thread, so as to avoid spoilers herein Thank ye.

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

The Twin Scimitars
Seeker

USA
96 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2005 :  22:26:04  Show Profile  Visit The Twin Scimitars's Homepage Send The Twin Scimitars a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Are you doing anymore MTG novels Jess? And do you know what the next MTG cycle is gonna be?

Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2005 :  15:43:32  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

quote:

Well met

Tell me, Xysma, what in particular did ye like about the book. Any stand-out moments ye wish to mention? Please post thy comments over in the Master of Chains thread, so as to avoid spoilers herein Thank ye.

I've ben trying not to rave too much about this book, as there are many spoilers that I don't want to give away. So, let me just say this, great Realmslore, wonderful characters that are fully developed and very human, and a really good story make this a very promising start to the Fighters series. If the other books in this series can match the quality of this book, we are in for an excellent ride indeed.

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2005 :  18:47:15  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I've ben trying not to rave too much about this book, as there are many spoilers that I don't want to give away. So, let me just say this, great Realmslore, wonderful characters that are fully developed and very human, and a really good story make this a very promising start to the Fighters series. If the other books in this series can match the quality of this book, we are in for an excellent ride indeed.

Well met

Worry not, Xysma, this scroll is warned of spoilers and thy comments will be safe therein

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

Jess Lebow
Forgotten Realms Author

43 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2005 :  20:24:11  Show Profile  Visit Jess Lebow's Homepage Send Jess Lebow a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Hey,

Xysma: Thank you for your glowing review. I'm truly humbled.

Paec_Djinn: Thanks. Master of Chains is a tale of two brothers and their struggle against a feudal lord who owns the land their family has worked for several generations. Over the course of the book, the two take separate paths on their journey to bring justice to their family and home--but sometimes the best-laid plans don't always come out the way you would like them to.

Scimitars: I don't currently have any plans to write another MTG book. Right now I'm writing for an online RPG called Guild Wars, and that takes most of my time. I do, however, have a pitch in for a Citadel's book, so you may see me again telling tales in the Realms in the near future. As for the new cycle of MTG books, I'm afraid I don't know any of the story past the Kamagama books. If I hear any good gossip I'll pass it along ;)

-Jess
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2005 :  23:05:11  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Jess

I'm certainly looking forward to Master of Chains. I read the excerpt a few months ago and loved it! That's the problem with excerpts, they leave you wanting more!

I'm currently reading Baldur's Gate, by Philip Athans. I noticed in the dedication for this book that Phil mentions you as editor. I was quite surprised by this as I always thought on Phil as sole editor for FR (although I guess when an editor writes a book, he himself needs an editor ). Apologies for my ignorance, but have you been a long-standing editor for WotC\TSR or was this a one-off role for when Mr Athans was taking on a bit of writing?

Are we to see more from you on the FR front, after Master of Chains?

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Jess Lebow
Forgotten Realms Author

43 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2005 :  02:15:34  Show Profile  Visit Jess Lebow's Homepage Send Jess Lebow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi, Lord Rad,

Sorry to have left you hanging for so long with that excerpt. But your wait has come to an end.

I did indeed edit the first two Baldur's Gate novels. And yes, even an editor as mighty as Phil needs an editor when he writes. I was the Magic: The Gathering and D&D line editor at WotC for around 4 years. I edited the BG stuff, as you have guessed, because Phil couldn't edit himself. I haven't done any editing for them in some time, though, obviously, I continue to write for them.

I do hope to continue to write in FR in the future. I don't currently have anything in the pipeline, but I do have a proposal on a desk (not my desk) for the Citadel's series. So, perhaps I'll be putting pen to paper for that endeavor soon.

-Jess
Go to Top of Page

Paec_djinn
Learned Scribe

173 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2005 :  06:16:06  Show Profile  Visit Paec_djinn's Homepage Send Paec_djinn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I do hope to continue to write in FR in the future. I don't currently have anything in the pipeline, but I do have a proposal on a desk (not my desk) for the Citadel's series. So, perhaps I'll be putting pen to paper for that endeavor soon.

Good luck on that!
Go to Top of Page

The Twin Scimitars
Seeker

USA
96 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2005 :  15:46:08  Show Profile  Visit The Twin Scimitars's Homepage Send The Twin Scimitars a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow you write for Guild Wars. I have that game but it doesn't work on my computer. How many books have you written?

Go to Top of Page

Jess Lebow
Forgotten Realms Author

43 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2005 :  22:29:16  Show Profile  Visit Jess Lebow's Homepage Send Jess Lebow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, I'm the World Designer for Guild Wars (which means I created the story and wrote most of the dialogue). I'm sorry to hear it doesn't work on your computer. If you ever get it running, look me up online. We'll go adventure together.

Master of Chains is my 4th novel.

-Jess
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2005 :  13:45:54  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jess Lebow

Yes, I'm the World Designer for Guild Wars (which means I created the story and wrote most of the dialogue). I'm sorry to hear it doesn't work on your computer. If you ever get it running, look me up online. We'll go adventure together.

Master of Chains is my 4th novel.

-Jess

Well, after hearing how much work it was, I'm glad you got that job instead of me, pal. Still haven't had the chance to check out Guild Wars but hope to before the year is out.

When you get the chance, bounce me your email, would you please? Or I could try and get yours via your name link here.....

Steven without caffeine is hardly Steven at all....

Go to Top of Page

The Twin Scimitars
Seeker

USA
96 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2005 :  18:10:24  Show Profile  Visit The Twin Scimitars's Homepage Send The Twin Scimitars a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well Guild Wars SHOULD work on my computer. I have all the maximum requirements but my display driver keeps crashing. It also doesnt help that I haven't had any power for 4 days and alot of the phone lines are down after Hurricane Katrina.

Go to Top of Page

Jess Lebow
Forgotten Realms Author

43 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2005 :  17:08:11  Show Profile  Visit Jess Lebow's Homepage Send Jess Lebow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Steven: Email address away! Talk to you soon.

Scimitars: Are you close to all the heavy devestation? That must be pretty scary. We were just talking about what we'd do in Seattle if there were a major disaster, and I'm afraid most people are woefully unprepared.

Go to Top of Page

The Twin Scimitars
Seeker

USA
96 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2005 :  03:51:13  Show Profile  Visit The Twin Scimitars's Homepage Send The Twin Scimitars a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So...are you working on any big projects?

Mods edit: I removed the hurricane part, sorry but it is off topic. :) Jess has his email address posted or you can take it to PM's.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 10 Sep 2005 05:33:56
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2005 :  08:15:05  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

There's an interview with Jess over on the WotC site, featuring Master of Chains, of course

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2005 :  14:00:50  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, damn you, Jess Lebow!

Not getting enough sleep because I'm reading your damned book and can't put it down!

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2005 :  18:30:29  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

Not getting enough sleep because I'm reading your damned book and can't put it down!

It is gripping, isn't it? Took me like two or three days.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2005 :  19:25:34  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

It is gripping, isn't it? Took me like two or three days.

Cheers

Yeah, but I've got a weird investment in it as well, since the setting is my old campaign area. Worst thing is I've forgotten a lot about it as we've not used that in a game since 1988 or so.....

Still, figure I'll finish it tonight, assuming it keeps me from doing my revisions.... Enjoyable read so far....

Steven

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2005 :  13:20:12  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Done as of 4am this morning; fell asleep before finishing it last night, but the 345 am wakeup due to thunderstorm let me finish it before getting started. Good, rolicking adventure and a solid read with good characters all around. And I'm not just saying that because Jess picked up a lot of threads I'd left lying around....

My only complaints are why you didn't keep Shyressa as the belly-dancer vampire she's depicted as in LOI. She's a corpse-pale babe in the best BROM fashion. Why the decision to make such imagery illusionary and have her be much more like a corpse?

Steven
Who thanks Jess for returning him to the lands he loves and showing him new things...

PS: Why was the Princess/wife of Purdun a no-show in the book? Unless I forgot to stat her, she was his apprentice or at least a lesser wizard as well and could have backstopped him some. <shrug>

PPS: As I'm keeping up less and less with the game stuff over the novels, was this mastery of chains thing a new thing of yours or something from games? Fascinating...and I want to know more about that purple-magic chain weapon...and who made it....and why....

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2005 :  14:11:10  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master of Chains is a Prc from the 3.0 Sword and Fist source book

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2005 :  14:51:56  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

Master of Chains is a Prc from the 3.0 Sword and Fist source book

There are few Prc`s I like but this is definitely one of them.

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000