Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 If you'd be given a chance to design....
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Kno
Senior Scribe

452 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2011 :  19:54:49  Show Profile Send Kno a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
A part of the Forgotten Realms of your choice, what would that be? How would you contribute to the setting if you had the time and inspiration?

Hypothetically speaking

I think I'd be interested in Lantan, designing the magical everyday technology there, and Halruaa. On top of that, alien secret cults and their secret rituals and safeholds. Plus I'd make the other Netherese react to the Shades presence, not so overt.

z455t

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2011 :  19:57:36  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Calimshan!

My Realms novel, Sandstorm, is now available for ordering.
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2011 :  20:02:11  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd design a completely new area- sort of a Lost-World-meets-Pirates of the Carribean, but with drow. Lots of dark, dangerous islands with big nasty beasties, piratical raids on surface realms, dark elven intrigues, cults, and warfare, and perhaps a nice world-domination plot thrown in. Put it somewhere that has not been fully detailed, and have fun with it. And I'd probably use a lot of sahuagin and kuo-toas, too. Tropical island Underdark vacation paradise!! (NOT!!)

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Kno
Senior Scribe

452 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2011 :  20:04:22  Show Profile Send Kno a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Christopher_Rowe

Calimshan!

That's a big place, specifically? I always wanted to do a slave revolt in one of the smaller cities.

Go crazy with the ideas, no fear of splitting the customer base.

z455t
Go to Top of Page

Kno
Senior Scribe

452 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2011 :  20:08:06  Show Profile Send Kno a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

I'd design a completely new area- sort of a Lost-World-meets-Pirates of the Carribean, but with drow. Lots of dark, dangerous islands with big nasty beasties, piratical raids on surface realms, dark elven intrigues, cults, and warfare, and perhaps a nice world-domination plot thrown in. Put it somewhere that has not been fully detailed, and have fun with it. And I'd probably use a lot of sahuagin and kuo-toas, too. Tropical island Underdark vacation paradise!! (NOT!!)

There are drow in Zakhara, I could see it there against the corsairs.

z455t
Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2011 :  20:13:41  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kno

quote:
Originally posted by Christopher_Rowe

Calimshan!

That's a big place, specifically? I always wanted to do a slave revolt in one of the smaller cities.

Go crazy with the ideas, no fear of splitting the customer base.

Can't really say much as yet, actually. My upcoming Realms novel starts in the Omlarandins, then moves down the Ithal Pass, gets all the way to Almraiven, then from there to Calimport. As the area has been lightly visited in 4E I got to do a lot of "design" (if that's what it's called in novels).

Cheers,

Christopher

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2011 :  20:32:01  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kno

quote:

Actually, I was thinking of drow AS corsairs! Yes, that's right, dark elf pirates. Based on storm-covered, mysterious islands covered in jungles and mountains, surrounded by tretcherous reefs, with lots of sea-caves leading into the Underdark for their ships. Taking slaves and loot from merchant ships and coastal villages with abandon.

Edit: Stupid gremlins are at it again....

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:

Edited by - Alystra Illianniis on 28 Jan 2011 20:33:28
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2011 :  20:46:44  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Many-Arrows. Probably nothing overly revolutionary, but I'd like to give it a very detailed write up.

"Then I saw there was a way to Hell even from the gates of Heaven"
- John Bunyan, Pilgrim's Progress

Fatum Iustum Stultorum. Righteous is the destiny of fools.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
http://theroleplayersgazebo.yuku.com/directory#.Ub4hvvlJOAY
Go to Top of Page

Wenin
Senior Scribe

585 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2011 :  22:55:38  Show Profile Send Wenin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would detail out the Kingdom of Thar, when Ogres and Orcs ruled the north.

Session Reports posted at RPG Geek.
Stem the Tide Takes place in Mistledale.
Dark Curtains - Takes place in the Savage North, starting in Nesmé. I wrapped my campaign into the Hoard of the Dragon Queen, but it takes place in 1372 DR.
Go to Top of Page

Mr_Miscellany
Senior Scribe

545 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2011 :  23:10:15  Show Profile Send Mr_Miscellany a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For me, not so much a place but a group: I'd like to flesh out some of the history of the War Wizards.
Go to Top of Page

Tyrant
Senior Scribe

USA
586 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2011 :  03:42:39  Show Profile  Visit Tyrant's Homepage Send Tyrant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Following Mr_Miscellany's example, I would desire to further detail the Yuan-Ti. Either what they are up to now (I guess that would mean Chult, and maybe the Vilhon Reach if they still have a presence there), or maybe their history in Hlondeth and their rise to power there. Either I am reading the wrong books or there just isn't much dealing with the Yuan-Ti floating around and I would like to see more of them.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
-The Sith Code

Teenage Sith zombies, Tulkh thought-how in the moons of Bogden had it all started? Every so often, the universe must just get bored and decide to really cut loose. -Star Wars: Red Harvest
Go to Top of Page

Lady Fellshot
Senior Scribe

USA
379 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2011 :  04:41:10  Show Profile  Visit Lady Fellshot's Homepage Send Lady Fellshot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd like to map fey enclaves in some of the remote mountain regions.

Rants and reviews that interest no one may be found here.
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2011 :  11:14:07  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd like to do Impiltur. Honestly, that region is so vastly under-used it's sad. We've only gotten tid-bits about the region from Champions of Valor and a few odds and ends from other sources.

And stemming from that, more information on the organization of the Triadic Knights. What I'd really like is to see (or compile myself) a write up of that organization using the rules from the Dungeon Masters Guide II.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2011 :  11:22:46  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Border Kingdoms and/or the Dragon Coast.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2011 :  14:23:46  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Halruua

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

GMWestermeyer
Learned Scribe

USA
215 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2011 :  16:02:09  Show Profile  Visit GMWestermeyer's Homepage Send GMWestermeyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Kno

quote:

Actually, I was thinking of drow AS corsairs! Yes, that's right, dark elf pirates. Based on storm-covered, mysterious islands covered in jungles and mountains, surrounded by tretcherous reefs, with lots of sea-caves leading into the Underdark for their ships. Taking slaves and loot from merchant ships and coastal villages with abandon.

Edit: Stupid gremlins are at it again....

I'd love that setting...

"Facts are meaningless. You can use facts to prove anything that is even remotely true."
Homer Simpson, _The Simspons_
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2011 :  16:12:36  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I've already designed some of what I would do: Lords of Waterdeep!

Assuming we're sticking to canon, I'd focus more on creating NPCs. That's my thing, anyway -- I've generally got at least two or three wandering about in my brain, at any given time.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2011 :  23:56:21  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@GMW: Thanks! You should see my home campaigns....

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Thauramarth
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
729 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2011 :  02:32:36  Show Profile Send Thauramarth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Old Empires - Mulhorand and Unther (and then some more, by re-designing the area currently occupied by Konigheim, with some impact on Zakhara).
Go to Top of Page

Razz
Senior Scribe

USA
749 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2011 :  06:56:09  Show Profile Send Razz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Definitely all of Kara-Tur. There is no reason why that has yet to be covered in updated detail.
Go to Top of Page

Arioch
Learned Scribe

Italy
222 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2011 :  11:45:24  Show Profile  Visit Arioch's Homepage Send Arioch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For me it will be Nar and its barbarian culture.
Go to Top of Page

Tyranthraxus
Senior Scribe

Netherlands
423 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2011 :  13:10:29  Show Profile  Visit Tyranthraxus's Homepage Send Tyranthraxus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Returned Abeir for 4e, or Sembia for the previous editions.
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2011 :  15:53:09  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hrm. Wouldn't mind givng returned Abeir a spin. That would be second on my list.

"Then I saw there was a way to Hell even from the gates of Heaven"
- John Bunyan, Pilgrim's Progress

Fatum Iustum Stultorum. Righteous is the destiny of fools.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
http://theroleplayersgazebo.yuku.com/directory#.Ub4hvvlJOAY
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2011 :  20:33:33  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Westgate.

Dirty politics, intrigues, treacheries, lurking evils, gang wars, rival thieves' guilds . . . full of win.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"

Edited by - Erik Scott de Bie on 30 Jan 2011 20:33:55
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2011 :  20:51:16  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For me, in my current train of gaming thought, I'd like to work more on "the things behind the scenes" for a DM to use.

More details on lower level agents of various groups like the Zhentarim, Cult of the Dragon, Iron Throne and etc.

This would be more useful to many starting campaigns with DMs that had little time.

Essentially a listing of many geographical areas, then sub-lists of which groups are active there, then describe the agents (lower end fellas) that are the ground pounders that the early adventurers might run into.

I think that would be something valuable...but could be lore packed also.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2011 :  23:11:23  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Imaskar... No doubt!!!

And some of their crazy spells!

Edited by - Nicolai Withander on 30 Jan 2011 23:11:56
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2011 :  00:09:16  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The fey, done in the style of Serpent Kingdoms, only with more places described and scary.

About the influence of outsiders (creatures from other planes and space) in the Realms.

Of all the cultures, probably Talfir, then the Damarans. Or a new group of barbarians in the Fallen Lands.

A book about the Iron Throne. A book about religious conflicts and heresies. A similar book about economic conflicts. About utility magic.

About different styles of magic and arcane traditions. Then the same for the warriors and rogues.
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2011 :  00:15:25  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lost Empires of Faerun 2, with six completely new nonelven civilizations, mostly human.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2011 :  00:46:27  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

Westgate.

Dirty politics, intrigues, treacheries, lurking evils, gang wars, rival thieves' guilds . . . full of win.

Cheers

Oooh! Perhaps a little collaboration is in order then, friend Erik. The Dragon Coast appeals to me greatly, as I noted above.

Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2011 :  00:51:48  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Y'know, the very first bit of "Realmslore" I ever "developed" myself was statting out the ironshod staffs used by the wererats below Westport. I distinctly remember writing "The Staffwielding Wererats of Westport!" on the top of a sheet of paper in some kind of faux Gothic/Heavy Metal script when I was around 13 or 14 years old, and fellow scribes, that was a WHILE ago. Good times.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2011 :  01:11:13  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Quale

Lost Empires of Faerun 2, with six completely new nonelven civilizations, mostly human.

I'd say mostly human and/or monstrous. Because I've been curious about what the illithids have been doing in the Realms since -11,000 DR.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000