Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Realms voice acting
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2011 :  03:03:44  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
The talk in the tv series thread about a hypothetical animated realms show got me thinking about one of the most important aspects of animation; the voice acting. Who're some people you'd like to hear voicing some various characters from the realms?

"Then I saw there was a way to Hell even from the gates of Heaven"
- John Bunyan, Pilgrim's Progress

Fatum Iustum Stultorum. Righteous is the destiny of fools.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
http://theroleplayersgazebo.yuku.com/directory#.Ub4hvvlJOAY

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2011 :  03:31:44  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Edward Greenwood

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7971 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2011 :  03:33:43  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Casting Robin Williams or Mike Myers to do Drizzt has possibilities. More likely, they'll force such talents to instead portray comic-relief short people like dwarves and kender and fey. Only pretty boys like Orlando Bloom or Russell Crowe get seriously considered for warrior-elf roles.

Like it or not, Hollywood would want to cast Sean Connery, Patrick Stewart, or Ian McKellan as Elminster. Almost every character from the North would speak like Ahnold. Villains and Thayans would all have terrible pseudo-German/Russian bad guy accents. Every major character would have an attractive (and dangerously competent) female sidekick, canon be damned.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2011 :  03:52:50  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Budget-wise, WotC would surely go for the low-profile ones. But if you'd ask me what I want, I'd certainly go for established, famous Hollywood stars.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Tyrant
Senior Scribe

USA
586 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2011 :  05:44:37  Show Profile  Visit Tyrant's Homepage Send Tyrant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would like to see established voice actors. It would take me a while to sort out where to put them, but I would like to see people like Mark Hammil (The Joker, also played Luke Skywalker), Peter Cullen (Optimus Prime), and Frank Welker (the original Megatron, a ton of other vocal work over the last 3 decades). Also, a number of voice actors aside from Mark Hammil from the various 90's DC cartoons would probably have a place somewhere. Folks like Michael Ironside (Darkseid, general creepy and/or psychotic guy in most other roles), Tim Daly (Superman, Wings), Clancy Brown (Lex Luthor, the Kurgan), Michael Dorn (Kalibak, also played Worf), Malcolm Mcdowell (Metallo, general creepy and/or killer guy with an accent, if you see him in something it's probably a safe bet he's the bad guy), David Warner (Ra's al Ghul, also usually a bad guy like in Tron 1.0). And a few other general good voice actors like Keith David (Goliath on Gargoyles, had a pretty intense fight in They Live), Tim Curry (I shouldn't need to explain who he is), Jonathan Frakes (David Xanatos on Gargoyles, also played Cmdr. Riker), John Rhys-Davies (Gimli, numerous other sci fi and fantasy movies). Basically I would start with the casts of Gargoyles, Batman TAS, and Superman TAS and go from there.

I'm not sure who should play who, but most of those folks have a proven track record with vocal work. I look at the Transformers movies (the live action ones, the animated one was great on this front) as a positive and a negative example. The positive is that they got Peter Cullen to play Optimus Prime. If someone is the voice of an iconic character you should use them. The negative is that they got Hugo Weaving (who I think is an otherwise decent voice actor) to play Megatron. Given that his voice is barely recognizable, it was a pointless move other than to pad the cast list. Frank Welker was available, they had him do Soundwave's voice in the sequel (which is kind of sad as it shows they know he's still out there and that he did Soundwave's voice). The real tragedy though is that Chris Latta is dead (Soundwave's voice and Cobra Commander's voice).

I don't know who I would want to see as Elminster. Maybe someone like Liam Neeson. John Rhys-Davies as Bruenor might be a bit much. I think Michael Dorn would be good for Obould. I think I would generally avoid pairing any particular region with a dialect. Some characters have an established speech pattern (like Elminster and Bruenor) but the rest I would just try to match up with decent voice actors. I could see someone like David Warner as Szass Tam. As Ra's al Ghul he was portrayed cold and calculating, but he could also portray emotion in the few instances when Ra's had reason to display any. Of the other Zulkirs, I could see Malcolm Mcdowell as Nevron. He can do sneering superiority. Tim Daly and Keith David can probably be some of the heroes. There's a few ideas anyway.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
-The Sith Code

Teenage Sith zombies, Tulkh thought-how in the moons of Bogden had it all started? Every so often, the universe must just get bored and decide to really cut loose. -Star Wars: Red Harvest
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7971 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2011 :  08:25:30  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Michael Ironside is "general creepy and/or psychotic guy"? I've always thought of him more as a badass tough guy villain sort. Cristopher Walken seems a better choice for creepy/psychotic stuff, maybe a good cast for Szass Tam.

That's an interesting choice for Nevron, though if you're looking for sneering superiority then there is no one better than Alan Rickman.

Imagine William Shatner voicing Samas Kul, he certainly sounds corpulent enough. There must be a good role for Bruce Campbell somewhere.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 02 Feb 2011 08:29:45
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2011 :  09:05:59  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Alan Rickman as Nevron? I don't think so. He may sound haughty, but not the badass tough, which I imagine Nevron is. I think William Forsythe would be best for the role.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2011 :  12:03:51  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a voice actor to suggest: Jess Harnell. I don't care about the role, I just want to toss him into the mix. The guy is talented -- he's been the voice for Wakko Warner, Sewer Urchin, Ironhide (from the movies) and now does some amazing vocal work fronting his own band, Rock Sugar (check out their awesome tune "Don't Stop the Sandman"). The guy has serious vocal talent.

*And I love the goofy premise behind his band, too! It's goofy, but their music is amazing -- I can listen to "Shook Me Like A Prayer" multiple times, back to back.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2011 :  12:21:44  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Helena Bonham Carter should play any evil wizard role. A durthan perhaps. Or maybe a mad queen. Or practically any woman with a chunk of madness.

Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2011 :  12:45:55  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Personally names I'd like to see that haven't been mentioned so far include Phil Lamar, who's done more voice acting roles than I can count and has amazing range, Steven Jay Bloom, probably most famous for the voice of Spike in cowboy bebop but likewise, has done an ungodly amount of work with amazing range in roles. Michael Bell, who among a long list of credits voiced Raziel in the Legacy of Kain video game series would be a great asset to the show.

The only definite role I have in mind is that should Asmodeus ever appear on the show, he should be voiced by Simon Templeman.

"Then I saw there was a way to Hell even from the gates of Heaven"
- John Bunyan, Pilgrim's Progress

Fatum Iustum Stultorum. Righteous is the destiny of fools.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
http://theroleplayersgazebo.yuku.com/directory#.Ub4hvvlJOAY
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2011 :  13:02:54  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I second Simon Templeman for Asmodeus. Sounds badass enough.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7971 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2011 :  13:59:18  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
She has good cackle.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2011 :  14:54:28  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

And demented looks!

Go to Top of Page

Tyrant
Senior Scribe

USA
586 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2011 :  02:16:05  Show Profile  Visit Tyrant's Homepage Send Tyrant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I always pictured Asmodeus as having a more....seductive (I guess that's the right word here) voice. That probably comes from me seeing Asmodeus as the kind of being that can convince you that it is actually a good idea to even consider dealing with him in the first place through pure charisma. I would maybe picture someone like Powers Booth (I'm thinking how he sounds through parts of Sin City here) who has a softer, yet strong sounding voice. That's the way I always pictured the Lord of Hell sounding anyway.

I think Tim Curry may be a bit over the top (or possibly too obvious) for that, even though I think he would be excellent as either one of the archdevils or some type of devil that heavily favors corruption. I thought he nailed that kind of voice in Legend. Then again I think he nails just about every voice he tries.

I always thought Leonard Nemoy as Galvatron was a real highlight of the original Transformers movie (plus it's Spock playing the bad guy), but I have no idea where I would put him as a voice in the Realms. That movie had vocal talent to spare.

2nd Steven Jay Bloom. I'll throw in Beau Billingslea (Jet from Cowboy Bebop, and numerous others) as well.

@Arik-I had to get a little creative because a lot of those guys roles boil down to "creepy and/or psychotic bad guy". I think Ironside usually plays a psychotic, but I do agree that creepy probably better applies to Walken (I see him as someone like Sammaster or Halaster who's obviously a little off his rocker). As for Rickman, he can do badass (Die Hard, Quigly Down Under), but I think he is more of a reserved evil. Nevron struck me as the type that oozed evil (can't recall why off hand). If Rickman were used I would think he would be one of the master plotter types, not sure which one though. It will never happen, but you may be on to something with Shatner as Samus Kul. I am in total agreement that a role must be found for Bruce Campbell, and that also applies if anything live action ever happens.

The question I am interested to see answered (especially by Dennis), who should voice Manshoon?

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
-The Sith Code

Teenage Sith zombies, Tulkh thought-how in the moons of Bogden had it all started? Every so often, the universe must just get bored and decide to really cut loose. -Star Wars: Red Harvest
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2011 :  02:24:43  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tyrant

The question I am interested to see answered (especially by Dennis), who should voice Manshoon?

Who else but Jim Turner! The voice of Cockroach in Joe's Apartment.

Go to Top of Page

Tyrant
Senior Scribe

USA
586 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2011 :  02:38:51  Show Profile  Visit Tyrant's Homepage Send Tyrant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

quote:
Originally posted by Tyrant

Who else but Jim Turner! The voice of Cockroach in Joe's Apartment.

I knew I could count on you to find someone. I couldn't think of any instance of someone voicing a cockroach to throw out there for a response.

-The Sith Code

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2011 :  03:05:51  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Or Jim Sterling, or Billy West. They voiced the same icky insect in that same icky movie. And if you're fine with a Black-sounding roach, you can have Reginald Hudlin.

Edited by - Dennis on 03 Feb 2011 03:10:30
Go to Top of Page

Synthalus
Learned Scribe

USA
170 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2011 :  11:55:59  Show Profile  Visit Synthalus's Homepage Send Synthalus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Malcom Mcdowell would make a great voiceover for the Blackstaff and I could see Ron Pearlman as Fzoul Chembryl.

"That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons even death may die."
— H.P. Lovecraft (The Call of Cthulhu and Other Weird Stories)
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7971 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2011 :  12:15:48  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Patrick Warburton could voice Mirt. Aw yeah. At least that's how Mirt's always sounds in my campaign.

I've always imagined Khelben sounding more like Kelsey Grammer, arguing incessantly with Vangerdahast sounding like David Hyde Pierce. James Earl Jones = Bane. Not that Bane speaks much, but when he does you never underestimate the Dark Side.

I'm not sure which nasal character William Wallace could do, lol, but he's gotta be in the Realms somewhere. Or maybe everywhere, voicing hordes of 99th-level blacksmiths, merchants, and barkeeps.

By Talos, I fervently hope for a conspicuous absence of Wayans brothers in the voicecast.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2011 :  13:24:07  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I want Merryl Streep to voice the Srinshee.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000