Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 The Worship and Analysis of Vhaeraun
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2004 :  15:50:49  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
In response to Naroon Shimmerflow's questions, I have made this folder dealing exclusively with The Masked Lord. Vhaeraun's allies include Mask, Shar, and Talona, while his foes include Cyrrollalee, Deep Duerra, Eilistraee, Ghaunadar, Laduguer, Lolth, the Seldarine, Sharess, Blibdoolpoopl, the Blood Queen, Diinkarazan, Diirinka, the Great Mother, Gzemnid, Ilsensine, Ilxendren, Laogzed, Maanzecorian (dead), and Psilofyr.

Not very social, is he?

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
"Nature is governed by certain immutable rules. By virtue of claw and fang, the lion will always triumph over the goat.Given time, the pounding of the sea will wear away the stone. And when dark elves mingle with the lighter races, the offspring invariably take after the dark parent. It is all much the same. That which is greater shall prevail. Our numbers increase steadily, both through birth and conquest. The dark elves are the dominant race, so ordained by the gods." Ka'Narlist of the Ilythiiri.

Edain Shadowstar
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2004 :  16:14:34  Show Profile  Visit Edain Shadowstar's Homepage Send Edain Shadowstar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think typical is more appropriate. Most deities have a long list of enemies, particularly the shadowy types, like Mask and Shar and, of course, Vhaeraun. Not only that, but I am fairly sure many of his enemies are enemies by association, that is they hate him because certain other gods do. Really, as far as divine politics go I qimagine the Masked Lord keeps a fairly low profile, since he is better served by not being the center of attention, sort of like most of his followers. He is after all the Masked Lord. Of course, his choice in allies is perfect, Mask, one of the more powerful rogue deities, Shar, the undisputed mistress of the shadows, and Talona, the lady of poison and disease, all things Vhaeraun has typically been associated with.

Of course, I have always been of the mindset that Vhaeraun will probably end up dead one of these days, but hey he might suceed in completely changing the Drow and conquoring the surface and Underdark.

Edain Shadowstar
Archwizard of Rel Astra and Waterdeep

"Mmm…pie…"
- Gaius Solarian, Captain General
Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2004 :  20:56:02  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That is my hope, fellow scribe, that is my hope.......

And true, his choice of allies is perfect. Shar for darkness and bitter hate, mask in shadows, and talona for poison, all things Vhaeraunites use to their advantage......

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
"Nature is governed by certain immutable rules. By virtue of claw and fang, the lion will always triumph over the goat.Given time, the pounding of the sea will wear away the stone. And when dark elves mingle with the lighter races, the offspring invariably take after the dark parent. It is all much the same. That which is greater shall prevail. Our numbers increase steadily, both through birth and conquest. The dark elves are the dominant race, so ordained by the gods." Ka'Narlist of the Ilythiiri.

Edited by - Shadowlord on 18 Jan 2004 20:57:09
Go to Top of Page

Naroon Shimmerflow
Learned Scribe

Norway
104 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2004 :  13:05:34  Show Profile Send Naroon Shimmerflow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A big burden was just now lifted from my shoulders, i thought maybe Vhaeraun had some powerful allies phhuu...

it seems that you are quite the opposite of Vhaeraun, instead of hideing in the shadow you preach his words Shadowlord, you are a true prophet of him. all this talking about his great power and how he will conquer the FR. well we just have to wait and see

but I will see through youre weakness for power, greed and evil and show you the path of light and good. embrace the lunar ladys warm rays of moonlight and step through the gate of light. Follow me SHadowlord.

I can hear the song of the followers of the lady of dance under the moonlight, how beautiful it is.

Good dice rolls, beats good tactics anytime[/size=1]

Edited by - Naroon Shimmerflow on 19 Jan 2004 13:08:27
Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2004 :  19:39:24  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And continue to preach that incessant wailing, and I will have but no choice to impale you, Champion of Sehanine.... Candlekeep is the only place I dare preach of the Masked Lord. My Underdark home is far less forgiving.....

Vhaeraun does have powerful allies. Shar is a greater deity, Mask is an intermediate, and Talona is a lesser power.

The Chosen of Vhaeraun

Edited by - Shadowlord on 19 Jan 2004 19:40:11
Go to Top of Page

Naroon Shimmerflow
Learned Scribe

Norway
104 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2004 :  04:40:39  Show Profile Send Naroon Shimmerflow a Private Message  Reply with Quote

HAHAHA!! I`m just trying to get you mad

No violence here in Candlekeep

In one way i can accept your God, because he strive for the destruction of the spider queen and her allies, on the other hand if he succeed and takes over the big cities of the underdark he becomes a terrible enemy of the surface elfs.

so it`s quite a dilema, but the way things are now, it`s all good.

Some Firewine for you my friend

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2004 :  07:11:51  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've always thought of him as a whiny excuse for a god. Of course, I didn't know that he counted Mask as an ally now, so perhaps that too has changed . . . .

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2004 :  16:32:08  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Vhaeraun is not a whiny excuse for a god, bookwyrm!!!!!!! He will free the drow race from the Spider Queen's stranglehold! And Naroon, keep preaching, and both our friendship and the rules of the keep aside, I will run you through.....

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
Go to Top of Page

lowtech
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2004 :  18:58:02  Show Profile  Visit lowtech's Homepage Send lowtech a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What's the deal with his arbitrary hatred of Dwarves and Gnomes? My guess is that the long lifespans of those races challenges his belief in the racial superiority of Elvish races.
Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2004 :  20:17:00  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not really, I would go into more detail, but I really don't have the time.....

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2004 :  22:15:39  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

I've always thought of him as a whiny excuse for a god. Of course, I didn't know that he counted Mask as an ally now, so perhaps that too has changed . . . .

Sorry, I wanted to post this earlier, but why do you think of him as a whiny excuse for a god? You can be honest in your reply.

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
Go to Top of Page

Naroon Shimmerflow
Learned Scribe

Norway
104 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2004 :  09:36:43  Show Profile Send Naroon Shimmerflow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hahahah Bring it on Shadowlord, we could take a friendly fight in the courtyard? until first blood is drawn and then stop

As I said Shadowlord i respect you and youre God Is the enemy of my enemy my friend or enemy?

Go to Top of Page

Cyric
Senior Scribe

Norway
388 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2004 :  11:48:27  Show Profile  Visit Cyric's Homepage Send Cyric a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wel mask plans to kill him and take his power and shar is going to ally with Cyric and Talona is a servant of Shar and i got a feeling or am hoping that they are going join toghtere and make the most powerful evil force ever.
Go to Top of Page

Naroon Shimmerflow
Learned Scribe

Norway
104 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2004 :  16:07:58  Show Profile Send Naroon Shimmerflow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Originally posted by Cyric
Wel mask plans to kill him and take his power and shar is going to ally with Cyric and Talona is a servant of Shar and i got a feeling or am hoping that they are going join toghtere and make the most powerful evil force ever

What makes you think that those evil gods, all only interested in them selfs, actually may work together and succeed? They are doomed to turn on eatchother and mess up the whole plan.

Go to Top of Page

Cyric
Senior Scribe

Norway
388 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2004 :  20:39:12  Show Profile  Visit Cyric's Homepage Send Cyric a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Shar likes Cyric and back i bet they(the god people over at Wisard) manage to make a love affair of it. And both of them wants it.
Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2004 :  20:39:16  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why would mask kill vhaeraun? I hardly think he'd want the portfolio of drow males.......

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
Go to Top of Page

Cyric
Senior Scribe

Norway
388 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2004 :  20:41:36  Show Profile  Visit Cyric's Homepage Send Cyric a Private Message  Reply with Quote
His powers to make up for what he lost to Cyric.
Go to Top of Page

Cyric
Senior Scribe

Norway
388 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2004 :  20:42:48  Show Profile  Visit Cyric's Homepage Send Cyric a Private Message  Reply with Quote
His powers to make up for what he lost to Cyric.
Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2004 :  20:48:36  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bah, Vhaeraun can take Mask on evenly......I doubt he'd go down without a fight. And Mask can't regain intrigue by killing the patron of drow males, drow thievery, and shadows. I don't see intrigue mentioned at all......

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2004 :  04:07:01  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Naroon Shimmerflow

hahahah Bring it on Shadowlord, we could take a friendly fight in the courtyard? until first blood is drawn and then stop

As I said Shadowlord i respect you and youre God Is the enemy of my enemy my friend or enemy?

Haha, meet me on the Candlekeep Grounds Shimmerflow. Only until first blood though......

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2004 :  05:28:35  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shadowlord

quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

Sorry, I wanted to post this earlier, but why do you think of him as a whiny excuse for a god? You can be honest in your reply.

It was just an impression I got from how he's mentioned in the novels -- which, until this past year, were my only source of Realmslore. Well, aside from The Atlas of Faerun and Volo's Guide to the North.

My impression was of a petty god with no plans for the future, just trying to grab power without coming to the notice of Mommy. He didn't seem to have much support, he seemed to count everyone as an enemy, especially Mask (which was why I was surpised to find they're allies; I'd had the understanding that they were bitter rivals).

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2004 :  05:36:14  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They found common ground, so to speak...... but you have to admit Bookwyrm, Vhaeraun is nowhere near as bad as Cyric, or Lolth.

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2004 :  06:50:28  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well . . . he's saner, at least.

Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2004 :  20:40:24  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good point.....

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
Go to Top of Page

Ardashir
Senior Scribe

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2008 :  00:27:56  Show Profile  Visit Ardashir's Homepage Send Ardashir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OT, but something I've wanted to see for all of 3.5 is to have Vhaeraun absorb the weakened Mask and become, not just the god of male drow, but the god of thievery. Imagine how much trouble THAT power jump would have made for the Lolthites!

Then again, heck, I wanted to see Kiaransalee become the Goddess of necromancy, and Selvetarm get into a knock-down with what's left of Garagos over who gets to be the god of slaughter and warrior madness...
Go to Top of Page

Vangelor
Learned Scribe

USA
183 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2011 :  10:48:55  Show Profile Send Vangelor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Has it ever been established with any certainty that Mask is a deity independant of Vhaeraun? Vhaeraun is the older power (he predates the Crown Wars), has an identical holy symbol, a similar portfolio (he is already the drow god of thievery), and has a marked interest in affairs of the surface world.

Following Ed's repeated exhortations that mortals cannot really know what the gods really are doing, I like to leave room in my own home FR campaign to believe Vhaeraun is actually Mask as well... and thus has a far, far greater reach than other drow or elven gods might suspect.
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2011 :  13:11:10  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Has it ever been established with any certainty that Mask is a deity independant of Vhaeraun? Vhaeraun is the older power (he predates the Crown Wars), has an identical holy symbol, a similar portfolio (he is already the drow god of thievery), and has a marked interest in affairs of the surface world."

It was stated as a "possibility" that Mask was simply an alias for Vhaerun in one of the 2e drow source books I believe. I'm afb atm, but I will try to find that quote later on today. I know that this is the case in my Realms.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2011 :  23:00:34  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yea!! Then he's not dead after all! Ha, I knew he couldn't go down that easily. Still liked Eilistraee as the Masked Lady, would have been nice if they had developed that concept more, but.... Still have hopes for her too.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2011 :  23:19:19  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Mask and Vhaerun are one and the same? Yes, it's close to truth. And it could lead to another possibility that Shar has her hand on it again.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000