Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 If you'd be given a chance to design....

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Kno Posted - 28 Jan 2011 : 19:54:49
A part of the Forgotten Realms of your choice, what would that be? How would you contribute to the setting if you had the time and inspiration?

Hypothetically speaking

I think I'd be interested in Lantan, designing the magical everyday technology there, and Halruaa. On top of that, alien secret cults and their secret rituals and safeholds. Plus I'd make the other Netherese react to the Shades presence, not so overt.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Quale Posted - 03 Feb 2011 : 14:59:06
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by Quale

Lost Empires of Faerun 2, with six completely new nonelven civilizations, mostly human.

I'd say mostly human and/or monstrous. Because I've been curious about what the illithids have been doing in the Realms since -11,000 DR.

Their relations with the Netherese (particularly spelljamming episode) are interesting.
The Sage Posted - 01 Feb 2011 : 00:22:50
quote:
Originally posted by Mr_Miscellany

quote:

quote:

Lost Empires of Faerun 2, with six completely new nonelven civilizations, mostly human.

I'd say mostly human and/or monstrous. Because I've been curious about what the illithids have been doing in the Realms since -11,000 DR.

THIS!

Illithids really caught my eye right around the time Spiral of Manzessine was released in Dungeon Magazine some years ago: Dungeon #94 to be exact. There’s this buff illithid on the cover and he’s got the equivalent of prison tattoos all over his body.

That was one hell of an adventure and a great lead in to the later parts of the adventure City of the Spider Queen.
That was an intriguing adventure. And the lore supporting it has also found its way into the illithid-material for my Realms campaigns.
Mr_Miscellany Posted - 31 Jan 2011 : 17:01:34
quote:

quote:

THIS!

Illithids really caught my eye right around the time Spiral of Manzessine was released in Dungeon Magazine some years ago: Dungeon #94 to be exact. There’s this buff illithid on the cover and he’s got the equivalent of prison tattoos all over his body.

That was one hell of an adventure and a great lead in to the later parts of the adventure City of the Spider Queen.

Something like a Lost Empires of Faerűn 2 that covered illithids in the Realms—including odd places like illithid prisons, different Underdark factions and what particular illithids are doing above ground in the Realms— would be an instant-purchase from me, regardless of the D&D rules edition it was printed under.

On topic: I’m not sure I’d have the skills to contribute to a work on illithids. I’d love to give it a try though.
Alisttair Posted - 31 Jan 2011 : 14:34:33
More stuff about Netheril is what I would most like to tackle (and I mean ANCIENT Netheril for the most part).
The Sage Posted - 31 Jan 2011 : 01:11:13
quote:

Christopher_Rowe Posted - 31 Jan 2011 : 00:51:48
Y'know, the very first bit of "Realmslore" I ever "developed" myself was statting out the ironshod staffs used by the wererats below Westport. I distinctly remember writing "The Staffwielding Wererats of Westport!" on the top of a sheet of paper in some kind of faux Gothic/Heavy Metal script when I was around 13 or 14 years old, and fellow scribes, that was a WHILE ago. Good times.
The Sage Posted - 31 Jan 2011 : 00:46:27
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

Westgate.

Dirty politics, intrigues, treacheries, lurking evils, gang wars, rival thieves' guilds . . . full of win.

Cheers

Oooh! Perhaps a little collaboration is in order then, friend Erik. The Dragon Coast appeals to me greatly, as I noted above.
Quale Posted - 31 Jan 2011 : 00:15:25
Quale Posted - 31 Jan 2011 : 00:09:16
The fey, done in the style of Serpent Kingdoms, only with more places described and scary.

About the influence of outsiders (creatures from other planes and space) in the Realms.

Of all the cultures, probably Talfir, then the Damarans. Or a new group of barbarians in the Fallen Lands.

A book about the Iron Throne. A book about religious conflicts and heresies. A similar book about economic conflicts. About utility magic.

About different styles of magic and arcane traditions. Then the same for the warriors and rogues.
Nicolai Withander Posted - 30 Jan 2011 : 23:11:23
Imaskar... No doubt!!!

And some of their crazy spells!
Dalor Darden Posted - 30 Jan 2011 : 20:51:16
For me, in my current train of gaming thought, I'd like to work more on "the things behind the scenes" for a DM to use.

More details on lower level agents of various groups like the Zhentarim, Cult of the Dragon, Iron Throne and etc.

This would be more useful to many starting campaigns with DMs that had little time.

Essentially a listing of many geographical areas, then sub-lists of which groups are active there, then describe the agents (lower end fellas) that are the ground pounders that the early adventurers might run into.

I think that would be something valuable...but could be lore packed also.
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 30 Jan 2011 : 20:33:33
Westgate.

Dirty politics, intrigues, treacheries, lurking evils, gang wars, rival thieves' guilds . . . full of win.

Cheers
Chosen of Asmodeus Posted - 30 Jan 2011 : 15:53:09
Hrm. Wouldn't mind givng returned Abeir a spin. That would be second on my list.
Tyranthraxus Posted - 30 Jan 2011 : 13:10:29
Returned Abeir for 4e, or Sembia for the previous editions.
Arioch Posted - 30 Jan 2011 : 11:45:24
For me it will be Nar and its barbarian culture.
Razz Posted - 30 Jan 2011 : 06:56:09
Definitely all of Kara-Tur. There is no reason why that has yet to be covered in updated detail.
Thauramarth Posted - 30 Jan 2011 : 02:32:36
The Old Empires - Mulhorand and Unther (and then some more, by re-designing the area currently occupied by Konigheim, with some impact on Zakhara).
Alystra Illianniis Posted - 29 Jan 2011 : 23:56:21
@GMW: Thanks! You should see my home campaigns....
Wooly Rupert Posted - 29 Jan 2011 : 16:12:36
Well, I've already designed some of what I would do: Lords of Waterdeep!

Assuming we're sticking to canon, I'd focus more on creating NPCs. That's my thing, anyway -- I've generally got at least two or three wandering about in my brain, at any given time.
GMWestermeyer Posted - 29 Jan 2011 : 16:02:09
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

quote:
Originally posted by Kno

quote:

I'd design a completely new area- sort of a Lost-World-meets-Pirates of the Carribean, but with drow. Lots of dark, dangerous islands with big nasty beasties, piratical raids on surface realms, dark elven intrigues, cults, and warfare, and perhaps a nice world-domination plot thrown in. Put it somewhere that has not been fully detailed, and have fun with it. And I'd probably use a lot of sahuagin and kuo-toas, too. Tropical island Underdark vacation paradise!! (NOT!!)

There are drow in Zakhara, I could see it there against the corsairs.

Actually, I was thinking of drow AS corsairs! Yes, that's right, dark elf pirates. Based on storm-covered, mysterious islands covered in jungles and mountains, surrounded by tretcherous reefs, with lots of sea-caves leading into the Underdark for their ships. Taking slaves and loot from merchant ships and coastal villages with abandon.

Edit: Stupid gremlins are at it again....

I'd love that setting...

The Red Walker Posted - 29 Jan 2011 : 14:23:46
Halruua
The Sage Posted - 29 Jan 2011 : 11:22:46
The Border Kingdoms and/or the Dragon Coast.
Diffan Posted - 29 Jan 2011 : 11:14:07
I'd like to do Impiltur. Honestly, that region is so vastly under-used it's sad. We've only gotten tid-bits about the region from Champions of Valor and a few odds and ends from other sources.

And stemming from that, more information on the organization of the Triadic Knights. What I'd really like is to see (or compile myself) a write up of that organization using the rules from the Dungeon Masters Guide II.

Lady Fellshot Posted - 29 Jan 2011 : 04:41:10
I'd like to map fey enclaves in some of the remote mountain regions.
Tyrant Posted - 29 Jan 2011 : 03:42:39
Following Mr_Miscellany's example, I would desire to further detail the Yuan-Ti. Either what they are up to now (I guess that would mean Chult, and maybe the Vilhon Reach if they still have a presence there), or maybe their history in Hlondeth and their rise to power there. Either I am reading the wrong books or there just isn't much dealing with the Yuan-Ti floating around and I would like to see more of them.
Mr_Miscellany Posted - 28 Jan 2011 : 23:10:15
For me, not so much a place but a group: I'd like to flesh out some of the history of the War Wizards.
Wenin Posted - 28 Jan 2011 : 22:55:38
I would detail out the Kingdom of Thar, when Ogres and Orcs ruled the north.
Chosen of Asmodeus Posted - 28 Jan 2011 : 20:46:44
Many-Arrows. Probably nothing overly revolutionary, but I'd like to give it a very detailed write up.
Alystra Illianniis Posted - 28 Jan 2011 : 20:32:01
quote:
Originally posted by Kno

quote:

I'd design a completely new area- sort of a Lost-World-meets-Pirates of the Carribean, but with drow. Lots of dark, dangerous islands with big nasty beasties, piratical raids on surface realms, dark elven intrigues, cults, and warfare, and perhaps a nice world-domination plot thrown in. Put it somewhere that has not been fully detailed, and have fun with it. And I'd probably use a lot of sahuagin and kuo-toas, too. Tropical island Underdark vacation paradise!! (NOT!!)

There are drow in Zakhara, I could see it there against the corsairs.

Actually, I was thinking of drow AS corsairs! Yes, that's right, dark elf pirates. Based on storm-covered, mysterious islands covered in jungles and mountains, surrounded by tretcherous reefs, with lots of sea-caves leading into the Underdark for their ships. Taking slaves and loot from merchant ships and coastal villages with abandon.

Edit: Stupid gremlins are at it again....
Christopher_Rowe Posted - 28 Jan 2011 : 20:13:41
quote:
Originally posted by Kno

quote:
Originally posted by Christopher_Rowe

Calimshan!

That's a big place, specifically? I always wanted to do a slave revolt in one of the smaller cities.

Go crazy with the ideas, no fear of splitting the customer base.

Can't really say much as yet, actually. My upcoming Realms novel starts in the Omlarandins, then moves down the Ithal Pass, gets all the way to Almraiven, then from there to Calimport. As the area has been lightly visited in 4E I got to do a lot of "design" (if that's what it's called in novels).

Cheers,

Christopher

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000