Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Battlesmith
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Durak
Seeker

68 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2005 :  10:57:57  Show Profile  Visit Durak's Homepage Send Durak a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Anyone tried using this prestige class in the FR setting yet? Its mentioned in the Races of Stone. So not 100% sure can be in the FR setting.
They mention a dwarf arcane caster, prestige called Runesmith also.

I am hoping my Dwarf fighter will go that way. Its only a 5 Level class. But it looks good from a crafting point of view.

The only dwarf prestige classes i ever hear in Fr setting are, Dwarven defender and the BattleRager (think thats the name, the one mentioned in Mithril Hall).

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2005 :  11:21:51  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Durak

Anyone tried using this prestige class in the FR setting yet? Its mentioned in the Races of Stone. So not 100% sure can be in the FR setting.

I am hoping my Dwarf fighter will go that way. Its only a 5 Level class. But it looks good from a crafting point of view.

The only dwarf prestige classes i ever hear in Fr setting are, Dwarven defender and the BattleRager (think thats the name, the one mentioned in Mithril Hall).

Races of Faerun has a Gold Dwarf Griffon or Hippogriff Rider PrC.
Shining South has a Gold Dwarf Defender PrC, variant on Dwarven Defender.
PGtF has Hammer of Moradin, a PrC for the Dwarves of the Spine of the World.

As for those two PrCs you mentioned from Races of Stone, I have no problems with the Battlesmith PrC, but I don't allow the Runesmith PrC (Don't care for it, and as far as I'm concerned Rune Magic is Divine, not Arcane).

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Durak
Seeker

68 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2005 :  13:37:37  Show Profile  Visit Durak's Homepage Send Durak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Read about the gold dwarf rider ( for some reason reminds me of World of Warcraft), and the Hammer of Moradin. But have never heard of them being used.

Finally finished reading the Races of Stone book. Gave me some helpful info for rping my dwarf at least.

Some of the new dwarven armour looks strange, just not sure if its general D&D so can be in FR, or its Eberron stuff. Mountain armour for example (the only armour that can slow down a dwarf)

No need for me to worry about it now. In 8 levels when i play to make my own dwarvencrafted armour, then i can worry about it.
Go to Top of Page

Hymn
Senior Scribe

Sweden
514 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2005 :  14:00:25  Show Profile Send Hymn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm, well I haven't tried any of the dwarven specific PrC. The dwarf I am currently playing in Mumadar's Twilight Dawn Campaign is hopefully going to prestige in to a Runecaster. He is a cleric but I don't see the Rune based PrC's (par using Runes) as restricted to Devine or Arcane. It's just a written language and as such dosn't have a bias towards the one or the other. But it's your Realm Warlockco so you do as you please

Sauro moki kara ochiro - Even monkeys falls from trees.

The path that leads to truth is littered with the bodies of the ignorant - Miyamoto Musashi
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2005 :  15:45:17  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hymn

Hmm, well I haven't tried any of the dwarven specific PrC. The dwarf I am currently playing in Mumadar's Twilight Dawn Campaign is hopefully going to prestige in to a Runecaster. He is a cleric but I don't see the Rune based PrC's (par using Runes) as restricted to Devine or Arcane. It's just a written language and as such dosn't have a bias towards the one or the other. But it's your Realm Warlockco so you do as you please

I have two Munchkins in my group, so I have to do things to keep the "cheese" factor from them down.
It is because of them that I no longer allow Wounding weapons of any shape or form in my campaigns.

News of the Weird

Go to Top of Page

Durak
Seeker

68 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2005 :  16:21:21  Show Profile  Visit Durak's Homepage Send Durak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Munchkins? That your name for a dwarf?

Cheese. Does that mean a character of low level equipping themselves with the best of the best so can hardly die?
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2005 :  03:40:41  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Munchkins? That your name for a dwarf?

Cheese. Does that mean a character of low level equipping themselves with the best of the best so can hardly die?

I mean people that want to play or do things that give them every advantage. That always design their characters in that direction.
Examples from a few different campaigns.
A Monk taking the Vow of Poverty (Book of Exalted Deeds) in a Low Magic Setting.
Taking Wounding on All their Weapons, (After 15-20 hits maybe more maybe less depending on the foes Con Score) the foe will die of Con loss, plus the HP loss from Con loss also weakens the target dramaticly (when you have someone two-weapon fighting with a pair of wounding short swords).

News of the Weird

Go to Top of Page

Mareka
Learned Scribe

Canada
125 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2005 :  19:28:09  Show Profile  Visit Mareka's Homepage Send Mareka a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
[i]Originally posted by warlockco[/i.

As for those two PrCs you mentioned from Races of Stone, I have no problems with the Battlesmith PrC, but I don't allow the Runesmith PrC (Don't care for it, and as far as I'm concerned Rune Magic is Divine, not Arcane).

Maybe the Runesmith would work well for the Gold dwarves. It might explain why they have arcane magic now, as maybe it developed from the divine form of runecasting.

Go to Top of Page

Durak
Seeker

68 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2005 :  14:21:47  Show Profile  Visit Durak's Homepage Send Durak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Will have to reread the passage in the Races of Stone. But it mentioned that dwarven sorcerers came about from the rebirth of the Gold dwarven race. Some form of blessing. ( More time at work to read the internet than at home )
Dont take this as gospel, til i get the exact quote.
I wonder how long ago was this Gold Dwarf blessing, so can work out the dwarves age.
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2005 :  22:40:57  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Will have to reread the passage in the Races of Stone. But it mentioned that dwarven sorcerers came about from the rebirth of the Gold dwarven race. Some form of blessing. ( More time at work to read the internet than at home )
Dont take this as gospel, til i get the exact quote.
I wonder how long ago was this Gold Dwarf blessing, so can work out the dwarves age.

It shouldn't considering that Races of Stone is a very generic book, and isn't even using any Realms material. They even created stupid new gods for the Dwarves, even though we have been using pretty much the same ones since 1E.

News of the Weird

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2005 :  06:27:12  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by warlockco
They even created stupid new gods for the Dwarves, even though we have been using pretty much the same ones since 1E.

How many new ones did they introduce?
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2005 :  07:47:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:
They even created stupid new gods for the Dwarves, even though we have been using pretty much the same ones since 1E.

Five, if I counted correctly(Laduguer and Moradin also received some coverage).
Four gnomish ones were also introduced.

The battlesmith seems fine to me-it's fairly setting neutral and doesn't conflict with anything in the Realms. As it says, though, the battlesmith isn't appropriate for master smiths-that's more properly assigned to the exemplar, from Complete Adventurer.
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2005 :  08:21:57  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Dwarven Gods:
Moradin and Laduguer, are the same as before.
New Gods:
Hanseath (Lesser God, CN, Porfolio: War, Carousing, Alchohol, Domains: Chaos, Strength, Travel, War)

Mya (Greater Goddess, NG, Porfolio: Clan, Family, Wisdom, Domains: Good, Healing, Knowledge)

Roknar (Lesser God, NE, Porfolio: Greed, Intrigue, Lies, Earth, Domains: Destruction, Earth, Evil, Trickery)

Tharmekhul (Demigod, N, Porfolio: The Forge, Fire, Warfare, Domains: Destruction, Fire, War)

Thautam (Intermediate God, N, Porfolio: Magic, Darkness, Domains: Earth, Luck, Magic)

Valkauna (Intermediate God, LN, Porfolio: Oaths, Death, Birth, Domains: Death, Law, Water)

News of the Weird

Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2005 :  08:26:27  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gnome Gods:
Garl Glittergold and Callarduran Smoothhands as before.

New Gnome Gods:
Gelf Darkhearth, Garl Glittergold's brother & Rival (Intermediate God, CN, Porfolio: Entropy, Revenge, Domains: Chaos, Destruction, War)

The Glutton (Lesser God, CE, Portfolio: Disaster, Greed, Domains: Chaos, Destruction, Evil, Strength)

Rill Cleverthrush (Lesser God, LN, Portfolio: Invention, Creation, Sky, Domains: Air, Knowledge, Magic, Travel)

Sheyanna Flaxenstrang, source of Rivalry between Garl and Gelf (Intermediate Goddess, CG, Portfolio: Love, Beauty, Passion, Domains: Chaos, Fire, Good, Healing)

News of the Weird

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2005 :  08:55:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Dwarven Gods:
Moradin and Laduguer, are the same as before.
New Gods:
Hanseath
Mya
Roknar
Tharmekhul
Thautam
Valkauna

Evidently I didn't count correctly.

quote:

Gnome Gods:
Garl Glittergold and Callarduran Smoothhands as before.

New Gnome Gods:
Gelf Darkhearth
The Glutton
Rill Cleverthrush
Sheyanna Flaxenstrang, source of Rivalry between Garl and Gelf

I knew there was a reason to refrain from reading that section(I still haven't...)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2005 :  11:18:19  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Let me get this straight... The dwarven and gnomish pantheons have been set since 1E, and they arbitrarily decided to add more deities? Bane's boxers! That's another reason for me to avoid this tome.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2005 :  16:12:45  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks warlocko for the list.
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2005 :  07:51:33  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Let me get this straight... The dwarven and gnomish pantheons have been set since 1E, and they arbitrarily decided to add more deities? Bane's boxers! That's another reason for me to avoid this tome.

Aye,
I had no problems with the addition of new (unknown) gods, but to just discard the gods that have been around since 1E is just outrageous.

The book itself isn't bad, it is tons better than Races of Destiny.

News of the Weird

Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2005 :  07:53:32  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thanks warlocko for the list.

No problem.
There are actually another 4-6 gods, but they are for the Goliaths, so didn't see a need to list them.

News of the Weird

Go to Top of Page

tauster
Senior Scribe

Germany
399 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2005 :  10:00:45  Show Profile  Visit tauster's Homepage Send tauster a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

that was my thought too, but after a good night of sleep i think differently: "Races of Stone" is generic, itīs not bound to a specific world. seen that way, new gods make sense, but if they really discarded old gods (havenīt checked yet), well... to say that makes no sense is kind of an understatement.

btw, am i the only one who mightily dislikes the name "hanseat"? sounds like the old european "hanse" (organization of seaport cities), and even more like the adjective derived from it: "hanseatic". werenīt they able to come up witzh something more creative, or has that word/name a meaning thatīs unknown to me?

...an while i am ranting: does it make sense to split WAR and WARFARE among different deities, both new ones?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2005 :  17:07:03  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tauster

quote:

that was my thought too, but after a good night of sleep i think differently: "Races of Stone" is generic, itīs not bound to a specific world. seen that way, new gods make sense, but if they really discarded old gods (havenīt checked yet), well... to say that makes no sense is kind of an understatement.

Ah, but most of the gods of racial pantheons are generic. They have been since 1E.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2005 :  18:29:58  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tauster

...an while i am ranting: does it make sense to split WAR and WARFARE among different deities, both new ones?

Well War and Warfare are different to some extent.

warfare = the act or process of waging a war.

war = a state or period of open, armed fighting between nations, states, or other groups of people.

One deity likes the state of conflict between nations.

The other one more involved in waging the wars.
Go to Top of Page

Durak
Seeker

68 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2005 :  02:51:24  Show Profile  Visit Durak's Homepage Send Durak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry took so long.
This is what it says about dwarven Sorcerers.

Dwarf Sorcerers are considered blessed by Moradin, their powers viewed as divinely granted, giving them a special status in dwarven society.

Then it mentions how they use this power.

All it says about wizards is that they are rare, but no less welcome. And they tend to end up as runesmiths.

The God thing. Since its generic, and FR has such in depth books about the gods. Faiths and Pantheons lists all the dwarven gods. I wouldnt even think about adding them to the fr pantheon, the lesser gods, look like dwarves elevated to godhood, probably on another world not on Toril.
In races of Stone Mya is his wife (Moradins)(looks like a less powerful Berronar Truesilver), i think Berronar Truesilver will be a bit upset when she finds out :)
One thing i do like is the herald and allies of Moradin.

Topic seems to have wanderered into, Races of Stone, can i add it to my FR setting :)

Just got my complete adventurer today. The exemplar strikes me as more a performer and artist. It looks more like a class i would have taken if i was going for a Cleric of Moradin, as it is more a teacher type class. Perfection in smithing.
Go to Top of Page

bitter thorn
Learned Scribe

USA
184 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2009 :  03:21:08  Show Profile  Visit bitter thorn's Homepage Send bitter thorn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A dwarven fighter arcanist seems like a fairly inevitable PrC. We have a player who will start it soon, and I think it will be a good fit.

quote:

"Nobody listens to the Ranger!"

Our groups are all sticking with 3.X classic Realms.
Go to Top of Page

Ardashir
Senior Scribe

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2009 :  18:57:12  Show Profile  Visit Ardashir's Homepage Send Ardashir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mareka
Maybe the Runesmith would work well for the Gold dwarves. It might explain why they have arcane magic now, as maybe it developed from the divine form of runecasting.

There's also that one duergar city in the Underdark that uses runes for everything. Maybe they develop it (the Runesmith PrC) in your Realms, and your dwarf mage is the oen to bring the secrets to the upper world...
Go to Top of Page

bitter thorn
Learned Scribe

USA
184 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2009 :  23:02:41  Show Profile  Visit bitter thorn's Homepage Send bitter thorn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Runesmith.

I should have said we have a PC who will be going into Runesmith.

quote:
Originally posted by bitter thorn

A dwarven fighter arcanist seems like a fairly inevitable PrC. We have a player who will start it soon, and I think it will be a good fit.

quote:

"Nobody listens to the Ranger!"

Our groups are all sticking with 3.X classic Realms.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000