Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Alright, last list request for aid!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ifthir
Learned Scribe

USA
111 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2009 :  07:16:49  Show Profile  Visit Ifthir's Homepage Send Ifthir a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Ok then, this is my current list of races, whether they are player, or NPC. I looked at all these so many ways I am just not sure anymore. I am not looking for any that I missed.

I was wondering if anyone might tell me if any of these are wrong. Or, if they have a question mark, give some guidance to an apprentice sage in need of help. Thanks, all.

Aboleth
Beholder
Bugbear
(?)Blue
(?)Choldrith
Chitine
(?)Djinni
(?)Doppelganger
(?)--Greater Doppelganger
Draegloth
Dragon
(?)Dragonkin
Dwarf
(?)Efreeti
Elf
Genasi
Giant
Gloaming
Gnome
(?)Goblin
Grell
Grimlock
Half-Dragon
Halfling
Half-Elf
(?)Half-goblin
(?)Half-Golem
Half-Orc
Human
Illithid
Kobold
Kraken
Kuo-toa
(?)Lizardfolk
(?)Lizardking
(?)Malaugrym
Medusa
(?)Myconid
(?)Naga
(?)Ogre
(?)--Ogre Mage
Orc
Phaerimm
Planetouched
Sarrukh
Shadar-Kai
Skum
(?)Sluth
Stinger
(?)Troglodyte
(?)Troll
Undead
Yuan-ti

Edited by - Ifthir on 15 Feb 2009 07:17:50

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2009 :  08:51:06  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Um...what's the question?

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2009 :  19:00:53  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
First thing that jumps out at me is the Djinni - you would use a Genasi as a player race, NEVER a true Djinn.

The 'blooded' races exist, usually, because the full races they are based-on are WAY too powerful for PCs.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Nerfed2Hell
Senior Scribe

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2009 :  21:50:52  Show Profile  Visit Nerfed2Hell's Homepage Send Nerfed2Hell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What about a janni? They're playable as a racial class as presented in Savage Species, yes?

Some people are like a slinky... not good for much, but when you push them down the stairs, it makes you smile.
Go to Top of Page

Portella
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
247 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2009 :  22:12:12  Show Profile  Visit Portella's Homepage Send Portella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
savage species has all the rules you need to play monsters.... my girlfriend played a bargest that was guite fun to DM

Purple you say?!

Go to Top of Page

Ifthir
Learned Scribe

USA
111 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2009 :  23:01:38  Show Profile  Visit Ifthir's Homepage Send Ifthir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mace Hammerhand

Um...what's the question?

"I was wondering if anyone might tell me if any of these are wrong. Or, if they have a question mark, give some guidance to an apprentice sage in need of help."
Go to Top of Page

Nerfed2Hell
Senior Scribe

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2009 :  23:17:01  Show Profile  Visit Nerfed2Hell's Homepage Send Nerfed2Hell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think "what's the question?" means "Can you be more specific?

Are you looking for information about these races as a DM or player?
Do you want guidance for using these as playable character races or for more detail (society & culture) to present them as more believable NPCs?
Are you maybe looking for ideas to make the ones with question marks more interesting in combat and/or other situations?

What do you mean "if any of these are wrong"? Wrong for what?
Its not that no one wants to help, its just your question is very vague.

Some people are like a slinky... not good for much, but when you push them down the stairs, it makes you smile.
Go to Top of Page

Ifthir
Learned Scribe

USA
111 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2009 :  23:19:42  Show Profile  Visit Ifthir's Homepage Send Ifthir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nerfed2Hell

I think "what's the question?" means "Can you be more specific?

Are you looking for information about these races as a DM or player?
Do you want guidance for using these as playable character races or for more detail (society & culture) to present them as more believable NPCs?
Are you maybe looking for ideas to make the ones with question marks more interesting in combat and/or other situations?

What do you mean "if any of these are wrong"? Wrong for what?
Its not that no one wants to help, its just your question is very vague.

Are they wrong as in are they not monster or PC races. I am wondering if some of what I have there is actually a subrace, for example ogre mage. Another example is are doppelganger and greater doppelganger two distinct races, or is one a subrace? Thats what I am really hoping for. Sorry I wasn't more clear initially.
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2009 :  23:21:08  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Nevermind.

BRIMSTONE

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep

Edited by - Brimstone on 15 Feb 2009 23:22:24
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2009 :  01:49:36  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, the difficulty is that you have Monster Manual entries that include monsters, Advanced monsters and templates.

For instance, Undead is a template, not a monster. Therefore it cannot be a race. Any monster can be a race, technically, since you can add classes to ANY monster entry. Some are not viable as PC races, but those that are will have a listing akin to "Orcs as PC races in their entry".

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Ifthir
Learned Scribe

USA
111 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2009 :  03:53:23  Show Profile  Visit Ifthir's Homepage Send Ifthir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

Well, the difficulty is that you have Monster Manual entries that include monsters, Advanced monsters and templates.

Specifically which are not races?

quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

For instance, Undead is a template, not a monster.

Agreed. That one I will remove.
Go to Top of Page

Nerfed2Hell
Senior Scribe

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2009 :  03:53:34  Show Profile  Visit Nerfed2Hell's Homepage Send Nerfed2Hell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Let me try to organize your list a little better...

Aberrations - various
Aboleth
Beholder
Illithid

Dragon
Chromatic
-- (subraces include black, blue, green, red, and white)
Metallic
-- (subraces include brass, bronze, copper, gold, and silver)

Genie
--(subraces include Dao, Djinni, Efreeti, Janni, and Marid)

Giant
-- (subraces include fire, frost, hill, stone, and storm)
Troll (consider it a "lesser giant"

Humanoid - Elf
-- (subraces include Aquatic, Avariel, Drow, Moon, Sun, Star, Wild, and Wood)

Humanoid - Gnome
-- (subraces include Deep, Forest, and Rock)

Humanoid - Goblinoid
-- (subraces include Bugbear, Blue, Goblin, and also Hobgoblin)

Humanoid - Half-elf
-- (subraces include Aquatic and Drow)

Humanoid - Half-orc

Humanoid - Halfling
-- (subraces include Ghostwise, Lightfoot, and Strongheart)

Humanoid - Human
-- (no subraces, but various regional variations)

Humanoid - orc

Outsider (Native) - planetouched
Aasimar
Genasi
-- (subraces are the 4 basic elements)
Tiefling

Undead
-- (no subraces, but various types include: ghost, ghoul, mummy, skeleton, vampire, and zombie)

I'm away from my books right now, but...

* Doppelganger and Greater Doppelganger are essentially the same thing (one being, as its name implies, a more powerful version of the standard. I think they count as Humanoid... or maybe Monstrous Humanoid .

* Grimlock, I believe, is its own Humanoid race and not a subrace of anything.

* Medusa, is its own Monstrous Humanoid race and not a subrace of anything.

* Kobold, Lizardfolk, Kuo-toa, Naga, and Troglodyte --while all reptillian in nature-- are as far as I know, individual Humanoid races... though, I'm pretty sure Lizard Kings are just a greater form of Lizardfolk.

* Yuan-ti are, I believe, Monstrous Humanoid and have Abomination, Half-breed, and Pureblood variations)

* Ogres and Ogre Magi are closely related, but I'm not sure if they are considered lesser giants or large humanoids.

* Half-(type) templates may be the same type as their name indicates or whatever the template is applied to, I'm not sure right now. A half-dragon elf is considered... both a dragon and an elf? Check the template descriptions to be certain.

Anyone want to clean up the rest of these?
Draegloth
(?)Dragonkin
Gloaming
Grell
Kraken
(?)Malaugrym
(?)Myconid
Phaerimm
Sarrukh
Shadar-Kai
Skum
(?)Sluth
Stinger

Go to Top of Page

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2009 :  05:07:49  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Portella

savage species has all the rules you need to play monsters.... my girlfriend played a bargest that was guite fun to DM

They say that too-often our PCs reflect our true selves. A barghest? Guh...be careful.

My latest Realms-based short story, about a bard, a paladin of Lathander and the letter of the law, Debts Repaid. It takes place before the "shattering" and gives the bard Arion a last gasp before he plunges into the present.http://candlekeep.com/campaign/logs/log-debts.htm
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000