Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Specialized Sorceror?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Icewolf
Learned Scribe

USA
214 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2004 :  23:16:23  Show Profile  Visit Icewolf's Homepage Send Icewolf a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I'm working on a new campaign, and a potential player wishes to play a sorceror who specializes in ice magic. I was planning on letting him have the effect of the Archmage's Mastery of Elements ability, only limit it to cold substitution.

My Question: Whould this possibly be game unbalancing or otherwise a problem?

Any other suggestions are welcome, of course!

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2004 :  23:19:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, as this is a feat already.

See Tome and Blood, Magic of Faerun, or the Miniatures Handbook, and look for Energy Substitution in the first two, Energy Affinity in the second.

Also, dig up the Feats and Skills of the Realms scroll-my Energy Focus feats will likely be of some use.
Go to Top of Page

Icewolf
Learned Scribe

USA
214 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2004 :  23:30:36  Show Profile  Visit Icewolf's Homepage Send Icewolf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Excellent! Thank you!

I've come to expect nothing less from the scribes here at candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2004 :  23:56:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Icewolf

Excellent! Thank you!

I've come to expect nothing less from the scribes here at candlekeep

*goes digging through notes*

As my namesake here has this sort of fixation herself, I've noted quite a few things about cold magic over the years of 3e...

Ah, there it is...

First of all, notes on a cold-oriented version of the Elemental Savant from Tome and Blood(This assumes that either the Elemental Plane of Cold or the Paraelemental Plane of Cold are in your cosmology):

Prerequisites: Replace the second line with the following: Alternatively, the character must be able to cast at least one spell of 3rd level or higher and have access to one of the following clerical domains: Air, Cold, Earth, Fire, or Water.
Special: The elemental savant must have made prior contact with an elemental or with an outsider having an elemental subtype(Air, Cold, Earth, Fire, or Water)

Class Features:
Elemental Transition: Element: Cold Allied Energy: Cold Opposing Element and Energy: Fire
Elemental Focus: Energy Focus+this+Spell Focus(evocation) can be a very powerful combination-you may wish to rule that this does not stack with Energy Focus/Greater Energy Focus.
Elemental Perfection: The savant gains the Cold subtype. They look like a living icicle-their skin is cold, hard, and covered in sharp ridges like the edges of icicles. The save DC against their uses of chill metal is 20+their Constitution modifier.

More to follow...
Go to Top of Page

Darkheyr
Learned Scribe

264 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2004 :  06:57:35  Show Profile  Visit Darkheyr's Homepage Send Darkheyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Of course, your player could simply learn the spell "Iceball" instead of "Fireball", for example.

silm.pw - A Neverwinter Nights Persistent World
Go to Top of Page

Capn Charlie
Senior Scribe

USA
418 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2004 :  08:06:42  Show Profile  Visit Capn Charlie's Homepage Send Capn Charlie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed, a sorcerer cohort in my game uses ice magic exclusively.

For one, she has a bloodline feat(from a dragon I cannot currently remeber the name of, but will track down) and given access to anoether set of ice spells(Auril stuff, mostly) from another issue I will track down the name of.

Basically, in excahnge for her pigeonholing herself into one element, I agve her acess to all ice spells, including all druid and cleric.

She also has levels in elemental savant. However i am still unsure of how to do it, as she already has the cold subtype, and mostly she took it for the bonus to Ice spells, so I will likely work something out.

Shadows of War: Tales of a Mercenary

My first stab at realms fiction, here at candlekeep. Stop on by and tell me what you think.

Edited by - Capn Charlie on 15 Jul 2004 10:12:19
Go to Top of Page

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2004 :  09:34:42  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think it would be a problem, one of my frineds plays a wizards speciallized in fire magic, so....

"If you are to truly understand, then you will need the contrast, not adherence to a single ideal." - Kreia
"I THINK I JUST HAD ANOTHER NEAR-RINCEWIND EXPERIENCE"- Discworld's Death frustrated after Rincewind scapes his grasp... again.
"I am death, come for thee" - Nimbul, from Baldur's Gate I just before being badly spanked
Sapientia sola libertas est
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2004 :  09:06:21  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You could create a "Bloodline of Ice" feat, based on the Fire version from either the FRCS or the PGtF. Of course, the PGtF version is a bit confusing. The summary on the chart says it gives +4 to saves against fire effects, and +2 on the DCs of all [fire] spells cast by the character with the feat. The full text gives the same save bonus, but instead of a plus to DC, there's a +2 caster level increase with [fire] spells.

Personaly, I'd make it +4 saves versus fire and +1 caster level. Add Spell Thematics to the +2 version and things get a bit messy.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000