Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Improved Familiars
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sourcemaster2
Senior Scribe

USA
361 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2004 :  04:43:13  Show Profile  Visit Sourcemaster2's Homepage Send Sourcemaster2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Is it just me, or are the improved familiars unbalanced? Evil spellcasters have imps, quasits, and eyeball beholderkin, each of which has some magic on its side. The neutrals are decent, but the good-aligned are fairly weak. Tressyms are cute, but hardly formidable, and pseudodragons, while having telepathy and poison, don't have the spell-like abilities of the evil ones. Are there any other possible good familiars with a bit more bang for your buck?

But what have all the passing years/Done, but breed new angers, fears?/Show me now an equal worth/To innocence I earned at birth.

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2004 :  04:46:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Elementals? Dragon wyrmlings? Lantern archons?
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2004 :  05:33:51  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like my tressym familiar!

Of course, I have a weakness for all felinoids, but my half-elven wizard's tressym is fun.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Sarta
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2004 :  05:39:38  Show Profile Send Sarta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You might want to take a look at the options available in the CW version of the improved familiar feat: Blink Dogs for LG and Hippogriffs for Neutral are both fairly nice. I think the winter wolves listed for Neutral Evil might be the most bang for your buck though. When combined with the spell augment familiar from the same tome one can wind up with a pretty formidable companion.

Sarta
Go to Top of Page

Sourcemaster2
Senior Scribe

USA
361 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2004 :  05:44:21  Show Profile  Visit Sourcemaster2's Homepage Send Sourcemaster2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't have anything against tressyms, but they aren't as powerful as, say, an imp, who can detect good and evil, as well as become invisible. A tressym is cuddly and has nice sneakiness, but I prefer magic. Tiny elementals were proposed in the Wizards site, and could work well. Lantern archons are nice, but the continual flame might be too much. A dragon wyrmling may be a bit too powergamer-tasty, especially for a long-lived character. Imagine an elven mage with a dragon for a familiar; maybe a PrC?

But what have all the passing years/Done, but breed new angers, fears?/Show me now an equal worth/To innocence I earned at birth.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2004 :  07:11:46  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, the dragon familiar is only possible while the dragon is a wyrmling. Once it advances beyond that age category, the bond is broken. So no matter what, you can only have a dragon familiar for a maximum of five years -- and that assumes you initiate the bond at its hatching.

It also requires the Dragon Familiar feat (Improved Familiar doesn't count) and a minimum caster level as well as a qualifying alignment. The minimum you can be is 7th, and that only with a white (assuming you are neutral, chaotic neutral, or chaotic evil). The Familiar Special Abilities are also delayed.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

MuadDib
Senior Scribe

South Africa
442 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2004 :  07:38:02  Show Profile  Visit MuadDib's Homepage Send MuadDib a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You coul look up that created amusing creatures thread, and summon a baby balrog

MuadDib - Candlekeep Inn Barhand
Go to Top of Page

Portanas
Acolyte

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2004 :  16:03:18  Show Profile Send Portanas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am trying to find a good familiar for a character in my online game right now. I would like something semi-cool. She is a Lawful Neutral Elven Mage. We are using the 2nd Ed rules. I just didnt want one of the "lame" familiars in the find familiar spell. Is there somewhere else I could look?

Thanks

Jason
Go to Top of Page

Capn Charlie
Senior Scribe

USA
418 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2004 :  01:34:11  Show Profile  Visit Capn Charlie's Homepage Send Capn Charlie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Portanas

I am trying to find a good familiar for a character in my online game right now. I would like something semi-cool. She is a Lawful Neutral Elven Mage. We are using the 2nd Ed rules. I just didnt want one of the "lame" familiars in the find familiar spell. Is there somewhere else I could look?

Thanks

Jason

Hmm, how about third edition?

Shadows of War: Tales of a Mercenary

My first stab at realms fiction, here at candlekeep. Stop on by and tell me what you think.
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2067 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2004 :  02:46:51  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If your character is an elf, I might suggest a cooshee or elven cat would be cool. Your DM will have to come up with the qualifying requirements.

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Sarelle
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
508 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2004 :  13:45:26  Show Profile Send Sarelle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have used elven cats ala Eric's bestiray twice - my DM and I set them at 5th, though that might be a bit low by about a level.

Chair of the The Rightful Return of Monster Deities to FR Society (RRMDFRS)

My character, drawn by Liodain: Sarelle / Sarelle (smaller)
Go to Top of Page

tauster
Senior Scribe

Germany
399 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2004 :  18:04:19  Show Profile  Visit tauster's Homepage Send tauster a Private Message  Reply with Quote
how about faerie? there are lots of different "faerie-ish" creatures out there, brownies, sprites, nixies, gremlins or jermlaine (for evil characters)... or how about an osquip?
Go to Top of Page

Portanas
Acolyte

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2004 :  16:04:14  Show Profile Send Portanas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eric and others,

I am the DM for this game. The elven cat intrigues me. But to be honest, I don't know anything about it. Where could I find info about it.

We are sticking with 2nd Ed rules, so if they are in 3.0 I would need help on how to convert that. I have never had to do it before.

Thanks for all your help folks.

Jason
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2004 :  09:13:56  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, if you're sticking to 2e, you're in luck -- the elven cat was never officially converted to 3e. There are some fan versions of it on the Web, but it's a bit of a hard conversion. (For instance, the elven cat has a 99.9% chance to hide . . . how many racial points go to the Hide skill for that? )

As to balancing higher-level familiars, I say do what was done with dragon familiars: they count as familiars of a master lower in level. Well, that isn't exactly what was done, but it's a start. I'm not certain that it works, either, but it's an idea.

Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2067 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2004 :  10:36:33  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Portanas,

I assume you're actually asking for the 2e version of the elven cat?

I don't recall for sure, but it was in one of the following:
Elves of Evermeet
MC3 - FR MC Compendium
MC11 - FR MC Compendium
MC5 - GH MC Compendium
--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2004 :  14:20:40  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

Portanas,

I assume you're actually asking for the 2e version of the elven cat?

I don't recall for sure, but it was in one of the following:
Elves of Evermeet
MC3 - FR MC Compendium
MC11 - FR MC Compendium
MC5 - GH MC Compendium
--Eric

If he desires the Cath Shee, then it is in Elves of Evermeet, page 122.
Go to Top of Page

Mystery_Man
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2004 :  14:55:06  Show Profile  Visit Mystery_Man's Homepage Send Mystery_Man a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One of my players is taking the imp familiar feat in search of a psuedodragon. Any advice for him?

thanks
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2004 :  07:44:10  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Elf_Friend

One of my players is taking the imp familiar feat in search of a psuedodragon. Any advice for him?

I assume you mean the Improved familiar feat, not the Imp Familiar.

The monster description just says it lives in "temperate forests," so you can build a miniadventure around trying to find one that the PC could get to accept him. This could either be in a forest (where they might encounter some druid that needs help or something), or they could find a wizard who will provide a pseudodragon in exchange for services.

Either way, the PC would have to be careful not to anger the pseudodragon, since an ill-treated potential familiar can refuse the bond automatically.

Go to Top of Page

Sarelle
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
508 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2004 :  13:30:11  Show Profile Send Sarelle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

Well, if you're sticking to 2e, you're in luck -- the elven cat was never officially converted to 3e. There are some fan versions of it on the Web, but it's a bit of a hard conversion.

Fan versions? I'm surprised Eric hasn't given you a good whipping! J/k! It might not be official but a proper 3e write-up can be found here - http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/monsters.html

Edited by - Sarelle on 17 Jul 2004 13:30:52
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2004 :  13:50:15  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I never looked at his beastiary before. Much better 3e elven cat than I've seen elsewhere.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2004 :  17:44:43  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

I never looked at his beastiary before. Much better 3e elven cat than I've seen elsewhere.

I think that Bestiary a wonderful resource... I'm currently working on a werecat NPC, inspired heavily by the Bestiary. And once I nail down the concept I want, I'm gonna make my own Alias Vessel NPC, as well.

The Bestiary is also perhaps the longest single document I've ever printed.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Sarelle
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
508 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2004 :  16:30:41  Show Profile Send Sarelle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I think that Bestiary a wonderful resource... I'm currently working on a werecat NPC, inspired heavily by the Bestiary. And once I nail down the concept I want, I'm gonna make my own Alias Vessel NPC, as well.

The Bestiary is also perhaps the longest single document I've ever printed.

I think the Alias Vessel template was inspired - when I first found it I created a AV NPC who is also a Half-glass golem, and half-wanted just to be a mindless construct.
If anyone has seen the odd picture of a ''Mulan'' (illuskan) warrior in the PtGF - a somewhat more striking version of the dreadlocked readhead is how I envision her, with glass arms and legs of course.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000