Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Automatic Languages
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2004 :  19:10:26  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I need an assist...

Are Auto-Langs just given to the PC freely, or are they the languages they may choose based on Int. Modifier?

I've never really understood that..

My latest Realms-based short story, about a bard, a paladin of Lathander and the letter of the law, Debts Repaid. It takes place before the "shattering" and gives the bard Arion a last gasp before he plunges into the present.http://candlekeep.com/campaign/logs/log-debts.htm

Icewolf
Learned Scribe

USA
214 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2004 :  20:33:34  Show Profile  Visit Icewolf's Homepage Send Icewolf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Automatic Languages are given to the player based on starting choices. An elf, for example, knows Common and Elven.

Bonus Languages are the languages given based on Int. Modifier.
Go to Top of Page

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2004 :  22:38:26  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So, except in strange circumstances, automatic languages are just that: automatic. The character starts out with them no matter what...right?

My latest Realms-based short story, about a bard, a paladin of Lathander and the letter of the law, Debts Repaid. It takes place before the "shattering" and gives the bard Arion a last gasp before he plunges into the present.http://candlekeep.com/campaign/logs/log-debts.htm
Go to Top of Page

Icewolf
Learned Scribe

USA
214 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2004 :  22:56:21  Show Profile  Visit Icewolf's Homepage Send Icewolf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arion Elenim

So, except in strange circumstances, automatic languages are just that: automatic. The character starts out with them no matter what...right?

Short answer: Yes.
Long, long answer:
Common is the Trade Language of Faerun. Every race who interacts with the vast majority of Common speakers gets this(i.e. adventurers, diplomats, and pretty much anyone else who has regular interaction with humans). Races besides humans get one additional language--their native languages.
Go to Top of Page

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2004 :  23:32:55  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, Common I understand. Basic language of the game...

I'm just trying to figure out why being from Waterdeep means you automatically speak Chondathan....

Go to Top of Page

Icewolf
Learned Scribe

USA
214 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2004 :  23:56:21  Show Profile  Visit Icewolf's Homepage Send Icewolf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Took a look through my FRCS, and Chondathan is one of the four oldest human languages, along with Imaskari, Nar, and Netherese.

It depends on which region you're from. In this case, it would be Waterdeep, which is in the Chondathan speaking region. Notice, this is along with common, and any racial languages you can speak.
Go to Top of Page

brjr2001
Learned Scribe

106 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2004 :  23:48:47  Show Profile  Visit brjr2001's Homepage Send brjr2001 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i personally don't like the languages
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2004 :  09:00:11  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And why is that? You like the unrealistic feel of everyone everywhere speaking the same language, no matter their nationality, species, or planar origin?

On the other hand, it works on Star Trek.

If you're in the Realms, you get first Common, then your racial language (which is nothing for humans), and then your regional language(s). This is irrespective of Intelligence. If you have a negative modifier for Intelligence, you still get these. Then for every point of Int bonus, you get an extra language. For a human, half-elf, or planetouched, this can be any language; the Bonus Languages list is for either guidance or for the possibility for another character race taking that region (say, an elf who was raised by the Rashemi). Or, DMs can rule that these races have to use the Bonus list for their region, but that takes away one of the few advantages humans have.

The reason why you automatically get Chondathan if you're from Waterdeep is that if you're born and raised in a land where Chondathan is the dominant language, it becomes your dominant languaged -- unless, of course, you have an imigrant culture, like is common in the US. (Mostly Spanish-speaking these days, but just a few years ago you could easily find all sorts of languages that American children were reared in.)

In the "United States region" I created for Jack Archer, I gave it only one automatic language: American English. Despite efforts by the proponents of Esperanto, we have no "universal" language. (Well, there's a partial as far as English -- both British and American -- is concerned, but it isn't wide enough that everyone knows it. Personally, I don't like Common for that reason.)

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000