Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Specialized Sorceror?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Icewolf Posted - 12 Jul 2004 : 23:16:23
I'm working on a new campaign, and a potential player wishes to play a sorceror who specializes in ice magic. I was planning on letting him have the effect of the Archmage's Mastery of Elements ability, only limit it to cold substitution.

My Question: Whould this possibly be game unbalancing or otherwise a problem?

Any other suggestions are welcome, of course!
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Bookwyrm Posted - 16 Jul 2004 : 09:06:21
You could create a "Bloodline of Ice" feat, based on the Fire version from either the FRCS or the PGtF. Of course, the PGtF version is a bit confusing. The summary on the chart says it gives +4 to saves against fire effects, and +2 on the DCs of all [fire] spells cast by the character with the feat. The full text gives the same save bonus, but instead of a plus to DC, there's a +2 caster level increase with [fire] spells.

Personaly, I'd make it +4 saves versus fire and +1 caster level. Add Spell Thematics to the +2 version and things get a bit messy.
Thelonius Posted - 15 Jul 2004 : 09:34:42
I don't think it would be a problem, one of my frineds plays a wizards speciallized in fire magic, so....
Capn Charlie Posted - 13 Jul 2004 : 08:06:42
Indeed, a sorcerer cohort in my game uses ice magic exclusively.

For one, she has a bloodline feat(from a dragon I cannot currently remeber the name of, but will track down) and given access to anoether set of ice spells(Auril stuff, mostly) from another issue I will track down the name of.

Basically, in excahnge for her pigeonholing herself into one element, I agve her acess to all ice spells, including all druid and cleric.

She also has levels in elemental savant. However i am still unsure of how to do it, as she already has the cold subtype, and mostly she took it for the bonus to Ice spells, so I will likely work something out.
Darkheyr Posted - 13 Jul 2004 : 06:57:35
Of course, your player could simply learn the spell "Iceball" instead of "Fireball", for example.
Arivia Posted - 12 Jul 2004 : 23:56:57
quote:
Originally posted by Icewolf

Excellent! Thank you!

I've come to expect nothing less from the scribes here at candlekeep

*goes digging through notes*

As my namesake here has this sort of fixation herself, I've noted quite a few things about cold magic over the years of 3e...

Ah, there it is...

First of all, notes on a cold-oriented version of the Elemental Savant from Tome and Blood(This assumes that either the Elemental Plane of Cold or the Paraelemental Plane of Cold are in your cosmology):

Prerequisites: Replace the second line with the following: Alternatively, the character must be able to cast at least one spell of 3rd level or higher and have access to one of the following clerical domains: Air, Cold, Earth, Fire, or Water.
Special: The elemental savant must have made prior contact with an elemental or with an outsider having an elemental subtype(Air, Cold, Earth, Fire, or Water)

Class Features:
Elemental Transition: Element: Cold Allied Energy: Cold Opposing Element and Energy: Fire
Elemental Focus: Energy Focus+this+Spell Focus(evocation) can be a very powerful combination-you may wish to rule that this does not stack with Energy Focus/Greater Energy Focus.
Elemental Perfection: The savant gains the Cold subtype. They look like a living icicle-their skin is cold, hard, and covered in sharp ridges like the edges of icicles. The save DC against their uses of chill metal is 20+their Constitution modifier.

More to follow...
Icewolf Posted - 12 Jul 2004 : 23:30:36
Excellent! Thank you!

I've come to expect nothing less from the scribes here at candlekeep
Arivia Posted - 12 Jul 2004 : 23:19:22
No, as this is a feat already.

See Tome and Blood, Magic of Faerun, or the Miniatures Handbook, and look for Energy Substitution in the first two, Energy Affinity in the second.

Also, dig up the Feats and Skills of the Realms scroll-my Energy Focus feats will likely be of some use.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000