Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Rage of Dragons, questions & speculations
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Asharak
Learned Scribe

France
268 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2022 :  20:59:24  Show Profile Send Asharak a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting (2nd Edition) :
" ...there seems to be a 300-year cycle called the Rage Dragons, at the peak of which all dragonkind is affected..."

Dragons of Faerun  (3rd Edition) :
"At other times (approximately every 300 years, but recorded intervals have ranged from 100 to 700 years), the Dracorage has affected all Faerûn, precipitating a full-blown Rage of Dragons."

So we have a Dragon Rage on average every 300 years.

With the first Dragon Rage occurring around 25,000 BC, there are roughly 70 Dragon Rages in Faerun's history, not counting the Dragon Flights.

The 100-700 year gap between each Rage gives a lot of latitude to place these events.

It seems to me that the repetition of such an event, even if irregular, should be quite structuring in the history of the Forgotten Realms.

In practice, all creatures / societies living on Toril should be aware of these recurring Rages.

This leads me to several questions (in no particular order):

- These Rages, given their magnitude, must leave in their wake destruction that cannot go unnoticed. What are and where are their traces/remains?

- How could such events be hidden from the collective memory?

- How could such events be obscured from recorded history?

- Why is there no more information about long-lived races like the elves?

- This should be the subject of many a ballad by troubadours and minstrels, if not the very heart of bardic oral tradition. Why is this not the case?

- What known events can be linked to this type of phenomenon?

- What are the reasons for this collective amnesia among all races?

I am curious to read your suggestions. And maybe other questions...

"Soyez réalistes : demandez l'impossible"

Sorry for my English... it's not my native tongue.

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6353 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2022 :  22:10:43  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've got a few theories that might not fit what you want.

First is that the rage is associated with the appearance of a comet whose cosmic orbit is erratic at best, therefore, while recorded history plots it at between 100 and 700 years between appearances, it may not have always appeared within those intervals.

In Westgate several thousand years ago (I think 5000 is the number but my memory is fuzzy these days), the dragons tried to interfere with the comet and may have been successful in altering its orbit thus changing the interval of appearances.

The original aim of the elves was to prevent the ascendancy of dragon overlords (I'm sure I read that somewhere, although it doesnt quite fit with then creating it to defeat the dragons during the 1000 year war). It may be that the elves created the mythal to defeat the dragons and then altered it so that it reappeared every so often to prevent dragons from returning (might even be what those artefacts where that sammaster was searching for).

If the elves wanted to prevent the rise of dragon overlords then 100-700 years is too often, that is more likely to drive the dragons to extinction (as has been happening gradually), and the elves tend not to be about extinction.

So I think the elves created the mythal and defeated the dragons as a one off. But they kept coming back, so the elves altered the mythal to make the comet reappear every few thousand years (reduces the need to have too many destructive events in toril history). At some point the intervals changed and we now have an erratic 100-700 year interval until 1373.

Then onto the destructive events themselves. Look at places with large tracts if forest missing and you cant go far wrong.

Anauroch is one, but that could be explained by the sarrukh diverting the narrow sea, however it's clear from a climate point of view that the anauroch basin should have lots of forest prior to netheril. So I would have a rage destroy that (perhaps over several attempts).

The Shaar used to have a forest in it and now doesnt. I dont think the illythiiri (now matter how evil they became) would destroy their own forest. So I'd have that as another target.

What do anauroch and the Shaar have in common. No large elvish presence after the crown wars. The elves defend the forest from the dragons during rages (by slaying them).

The forest of tethir was split by a dragon so that is another possibility for a dracorage (the other dragons just got killed and forgotten).

Just a few ideas.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2022 :  23:14:27  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've got an issue with the Dracorages being tied to a comet... I know it's canon, but why the King-Killer instead of the Dragonbane or something like that? And just how is a celestial object tied into (and seemingly able to override) a dragon's emotional state, when no other celestial objects are able to cause any kind of similar effect? It makes me wonder if the King-Killer isn't a natural object...

As for the cycle... That really is a good question. Perhaps the duration is usually quite short, like a few days, so the destruction is limited... Or maybe sometimes the "Rage" isn't as much a rage as a collective "Do not talk to me until I've had my coffee!" state of mind.

Or perhaps dragons eventually learned how to deal with a normal Rage, and so while it did have a continent-wide impact, most dragons were able to counter/avoid the affects.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2022 :  23:33:30  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had looked into this before and couldn't really come up with anything. The intervals really don't make sense. You have a rage every 300 years except when you have it every 100 to 700 years. Those intervals don't mesh really that well since the variation is larger than the base frequency.

My only idea is that the 300 years is the full rage while the 100 to 700 year is a regional rage or only affects a specific species of dragon. Sages and the like would be able to recognize that these "mini-rages" are different than the usual ones but for everyone else, a dragon rage is a dragon rage.

Hmmm, something just occurred to me. What if these species specific "mini-rages" are not necessarily rages at all. What if it is mating season for that color of dragon and they tend to go nuts while rutting. I could see elves using magic like that to control the rate at which dragons reproduce.

Edit: Fixed typo.

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

My FR writeups - http://www.mediafire.com/folder/um3liz6tqsf5n/Documents

Edited by - TheIriaeban on 03 Dec 2022 23:35:34
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2022 :  02:08:50  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Rage_of_Dragons

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2022 :  04:32:45  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've also had an issue with tying the Rages of Dragons to an elven mythal. It seems an odd choice -- "Hey, we'll weaken the power of dragons by turning them into murderous engines of destruction who will devastate our own homelands!"

That's like throwing a hand grenade at someone who just broke into your house -- yeah, you'll kill the intruder, but your home's resale value is going to take a serious hit.

If it was up to me, I'd say the bulk -- if not all of the work of creating the Dracorage Mythal -- was done by another of the Creator Races, and either the elves finished it or modified it, then claimed credit (or blame!) for its creation.

(An alternate spin would be to tie it to the Descent of the Drow. The timing doesn't work, but having the drow use it as a parting shot, knowing they've just created a recurring scourge for homelands of surface elves, is a fun thought)

I'd also change the nature of the King-Killer Star. Maybe it's not a comet -- maybe it's the remains of a fallen draconic power, and the Mythal taps into that power.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 04 Dec 2022 04:33:55
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2022 :  06:27:03  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In my opinion, dragons are far older and far more potent than fey. I doubt they would allow elves to impose the rage onto their race. If dragons truly understood or believed that elves were responsible for this then the elves would suffer greatly. The end consequence, some 25000 years later, would be a near-extinction of either the dragons or the elves.

Consider that the rage turns dragons into half-mindless, destructive beasts - but then there's a period of some 299.9 years while the dragons are quite mentally competent. A lot of time for them to find the truth, correct the problem, and exact their revenge.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 04 Dec 2022 06:30:55
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6353 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2022 :  09:10:37  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually it the dracorage mythal being created by someone else first and then modified by elves makes a lot of sense.

The star mounts should have been the location of the mythal (novels cant do anything right), and the aearie had a floating enclave in the high forest. The aearie also had an association with dragons before anyone else.

So aearie make the first rage and its centre is in the star mounts. The elves modify it and move it to the great glacier (never could figure out why there).

That explains the two different types and time periods. May hap one could be activated on command (if you know how and possessed one of these artefacts), while the other was more powerful and cyclical in nature (the elven one).

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2022 :  12:19:21  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe it is increasingly likely to occur (the Rage) simply based on how much Draconic life energy exists. The more dragons, the more likely a Rage occurs.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2022 :  12:26:18  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So an ancient dragon would've experienced the rage several times during its lifespan?

And simply accepted it? Even if it were a Good-aligned dragon? Even if it knew from lore, from contacting other worlds, that this is not a normal part of dragon biology?

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6353 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2022 :  12:44:38  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We know they have tried to do something about it. The attempt in Westgate tried to end the dracorage by destroying the comet.

The problem may be that there is nobody that remembers anything about the dracorage, and so the dragons (or elves) or anyone else cannot pick up the pieces and try to interfere with the magic.

I had a long investigate into the dracorage because i didnt like how Sammaster was able to discover what nobody else could (although he had been working on it for many decades).

My theory was that Sammaster found the Book of the World, but in reality the Book of the World was just a single chapter of the Book of the Dragon (which Khelben found and separated). Each chapter contained the soul / spirit of a dragon captured within the Book of the Dragon. Ioulaum supposedly penned the Book of the Dragon but what if he only imprisoned a few dragons in it and merely found the artefact.

The Book of the World was one chapter wherein a red dragon was imprisoned. Now it is possible that the imprisoned dragon was impossibly old, from the time of the thousand year war. He would remember the battle between dragons and avariel and the existence of the dracorage mythal.

From there Sammaster might have been able to trace artefacts and texts that nobody else was able to find because nobody else had bothered to try and release the dragon from the Book of the World (for context the book of the World was last seen in Asram, and Sammaster reappeared in 1250 in a now lost northern dale that would have been nearish to Asram.

So yeah, nobody knew anything about the dracorage mythal, until Sammaster pieced it together.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Athreeren
Learned Scribe

130 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2022 :  01:22:53  Show Profile Send Athreeren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm surprised the discussion went on so long without a mention of the short story "Traitors", by Richard Lee Byers. Of course any account of events that are so far into the past can be questioned, but at least it gives decent explanations of how the mythal was created and why.
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2022 :  04:06:24  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

So an ancient dragon would've experienced the rage several times during its lifespan?

And simply accepted it? Even if it were a Good-aligned dragon? Even if it knew from lore, from contacting other worlds, that this is not a normal part of dragon biology?

I wasn’t addressing that if you meant that post as asking me.

I was only suggesting the variable time.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11696 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2022 :  17:55:34  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I've got an issue with the Dracorages being tied to a comet... I know it's canon, but why the King-Killer instead of the Dragonbane or something like that? And just how is a celestial object tied into (and seemingly able to override) a dragon's emotional state, when no other celestial objects are able to cause any kind of similar effect? It makes me wonder if the King-Killer isn't a natural object...

Just a note with regards "comets" and a lot of the more current works ... comets are quite often associated with primordial beings. Why this is isn't delved extremely heavily at present mind you.

I will also note that gods, when they die, turn to stone in the astral. With there no longer being a "crystal sphere" surrounding wildspace system.... and with wildspace itself being considered somewhat in phase with the astral now.... well, I think you can see where I'm going here.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6353 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2022 :  18:21:29  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ooh, i like that idea

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2022 :  18:37:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:

Just a note with regards "comets" and a lot of the more current works ... comets are quite often associated with primordial beings. Why this is isn't delved extremely heavily at present mind you.

I will also note that gods, when they die, turn to stone in the astral. With there no longer being a "crystal sphere" surrounding wildspace system.... and with wildspace itself being considered somewhat in phase with the astral now.... well, I think you can see where I'm going here.

Yeah, but when the King-Killer Star and its connection to the Rage was introduced, the idea of anyone being affected by celestial bodies (aside from lycanthropes and the moon) was not an in-setting thing. (Primordials weren't a thing, then, either)

And also at that time, we still had crystal spheres.

So I know that my suggestion that the King-Killer Star could be the body of a dead power is problematic and would need some work -- but I think it's less problematic than "aside from lycanthropes, only one type of critter is affected by celestial objects, and those critters are the biggest, most powerful mortal critters anywhere, and it's only one celestial object that affects them, and boy, is it a freaking doozy!"

Maybe, instead, the King-Killer Star is some artifact, encased in glowing crystal, and cast into the heavens to keep it forever beyond mortal hands. Whoever crafted Dragorage Mythal tapped into the power of that artifact -- so it's not that the King-Killer Star does anything itself; it's just a battery. That's why Rages only happen when it's visible: it has to be close enough to tap into it.

(The King-Killer Star could also be a fragment of Zotha or the ice moon that caused to many issues, way back when. Or if you dig primordials, maybe it's an imprisoned one)

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 05 Dec 2022 18:46:41
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11696 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2022 :  20:36:17  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I totally get that what I'm saying would be a "retcon"..... I'm just more or less saying "if they are going to do this, let's take the idea and see if we can improve on something old"

Also, regarding "crystal spheres", I wouldn't necessarily rule out the idea that SOME "wildspace systems" are still surrounded by them. After all, in the new product there is Doomspace which "had" a crystal sphere created by its "primordials" and it's been shattered by "gods". In that instance the "primordials" created THAT crystal sphere to "shut out the gods".... so it had something akin to the Imaskari Godswall effect tied to it. Actually, for all we know, realmspace may not have had a crystal sphere surrounding itself prior to the Imaskari Godswall creation, though I don't favor that idea. I do however favor the idea that the crystal sphere may have existed during "the sundering" that supposedly created Abeir and Toril, and the "fact" that wildspace around realmspace doesn't have a crystal sphere now is maybe because it's shifted to being around Abeir (i.e. its not destroyed like with doomspace, its MOVED). The Abeiran "story" that the primordials "went to sleep" may in reality be that "many of the primordials left because they were no longer confined".... or it may be that when the primordials came to occupy this copy world, their dragon mounts were able to see and embrace their aspects in other worlds and became much more powerful .... or a mix of both....

But, essentially there may be crystal spheres surrounding other systems and these crystal spheres may give those "wildspace systems" access to a plane called the phlogiston that acts similar to but separate from the astral.

As to what is the "king killer star" .... possibly based on the name, it's the remaining body of Asgorath, who was slain by being sliced in half by Erek-Hus. Erek-Hus was "The King of Terror", and supposedly he was killed right after slaying Asgorath by Tiamat and Bahamut working together. So, if the "king killer star" is the body of basically a powerful draconic god .... I can see how the elves might be able to use that body to instill senseless rage into dragons when it comes near.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11696 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2022 :  20:44:06  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also, just a thought on what I said earlier.... many of us have wondered "what's the difference between a primordial and a god", and we've had many discussions of that sort with the idea that being a god is simply "a template" that can be added onto other beings.... if what I'm proposing about dead gods floating bodies becoming comets, and comets often being primordials... it may be that a lot of "gods" are primordials with a god template, and when they die they lose the god template and are forced into a kind of "basic" primordial form that's just a comet. They "go to sleep" as a result, and possibly with some aid they can regain power... maybe even get a "god template" again eventually... but maybe they just become primordials. I know this needs a little work, but I propose it for consumption and possible fixing.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Asharak
Learned Scribe

France
268 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2022 :  20:45:54  Show Profile Send Asharak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Many interesting things to think about...

But I come back on a point that intrigues me particularly, the absence of reference to any Dracorage except the first one and those of 1018 and 1373.

Although the fall of a kingdom having been destroyed following a Dracorage probably leads to the disappearance of the related archives, there should remain traces of this destruction in the archives of the neighboring kingdoms or peoples.

There should also remain ruins, and the story of this destruction should be peddled by the survivors or witnesses of the tragedy. And give birth to stories, then legends.

Unless what is called Dracorage is nothing more or less than simple Dragon Flights, the latter being the result of the efforts of the draconic spawn to limit the effect of the Kingslayer Star. This would have the advantage of explaining the lesser impact in the collective memory and the stories of the trouvères.

It seems more plausible to me that an episode such as that of 1018 is the exception and that the 70 or so Dracorage supposed to have taken place between the first and the last (1373) are simply Dragon Flights.

Another possibility is that the elves worked to limit the impact of the appearance of the Kingslayer Star given the extent of the destruction caused by the first Dracorage. This was the sine qua none condition to allow them to establish their numerous kingdoms during the First Bloom.

One can even imagine, however unlikely it may seem, a joint effort of elves and dragons in this direction.

Here are some ideas...

"Soyez réalistes : demandez l'impossible"

Sorry for my English... it's not my native tongue.

Edited by - Asharak on 05 Dec 2022 20:46:32
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11696 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2022 :  21:28:56  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One idea too... there are many types of dragons that can do things to escape the dracorage. They can escape to other planes, etc... There's a LOT of different types of dragons in the world. What if the metallics and chromatics simply didn't have the numbers as other types of dragons for generations.... possibly BECAUSE of the dracorage killing them off. What if with the creation of the cult of the dragon, much more of the metallics and chromatics were surviving and KILLING OFF the other dragon types (i.e. red dragon becomes a dracolich... red dragon hunts down and kills gem dragons, lung dragons, amber dragons, dragon turtles, etc.... its red dragon offspring that haven't become dracoliches thrive and red dragons become more prevalent). At the same time, perhaps the "good" dragons were specifically setting themselves up when they felt the rage oncoming to be near an "evil" dragon's lair, and that too might have reduced the impact on other races.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Master of Realmslore

1477 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2022 :  01:02:45  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
At this point, draconic genocide is less a murderhobo quirk and more a moral imperative. Nobody wants the the 300 ft. long flying murderlizards going on cyclical rampages.
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2384 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2022 :  03:21:08  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I've also had an issue with tying the Rages of Dragons to an elven mythal. It seems an odd choice -- "Hey, we'll weaken the power of dragons by turning them into murderous engines of destruction who will devastate our own homelands!"

That's like throwing a hand grenade at someone who just broke into your house -- yeah, you'll kill the intruder, but your home's resale value is going to take a serious hit.

You care about resale value only when you are not seriously threatened.
At this point there probably were not so many elves that occasional damage to their preferred habitats would make them sweat. And the dragons controlled the territories anyway.
But even beside that, it makes sense. At least once they commit and accept that the big showdown will happen.The dragons clearly are top dog here, their dominions are not openly contested, that's the whole point. From this point of view, serious slaughter is going to happen either way. o the real difference is whether the dragons will be an organized force hunting down the opposition, or will attack randomly and mostly destroy those who live near them (their offspring and servants) or each other. So why not?

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

bloodtide_the_red
Learned Scribe

USA
297 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2022 :  19:52:44  Show Profile  Visit bloodtide_the_red's Homepage Send bloodtide_the_red a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Dragon "rage" is a mess. They needed an "event" for the "a cool thing happens in the Realms Once a Year" idea from late 3X. And someone thought "Yea, Rage of Dragons!". Toss the name out there and "link" it to any lore that says "dragon" and their work is done.

The Flight of Dragons, from all the way back in 1E, was never really developed. Dragons attack sometimes....and that was it.

The 300 year Rage of Dragons will never make sense. There is no history in the game lore for this, and it just does not fit. How do any dragons even make it to old age? And there is no lore about the Rage of Dragons worldwide.

And if you want to "fit" this into some sort of Realms that make sense, maybe:

*It might explain Dragon Sleep. That is dragons go into deep, deep sleep so they can't wake up and Rage. I always liked the old BECMI dragon idea that dragons astraly protect themselves out in the multiverse to learn. A dragon can't rage if their mind is many planes away from their body.

*It is VERY possible that many dragons make Cage Caves for themselves for the Rage duration. A nice deep cave with a hidden exit with a simple combination lock will keep the Enraged dragon safe. No dragon wants to go into a mindless rage where they can be killed much more easily.

*Maybe an Ancient Elven Order that stops most of the dragons. Say, something like turning the dragons into stone for the Rage duration. So they round up a good 75% of the dragons so the world won't be obliterated.

*Maybe an Ancient dragon order doing the same thing. Made of non true dragons, of course. There is the Dragon Conclave, from the FR comic if you use that as cannon. That shows a loose ruling group of dragons that could do this.

*Lots of gods, not just dragon gods but I'd bet many elven ones could also stop the dragons.

*Maybe a massive cloud hides a portal to the planet Coliar where the dragons can "rage against the sky" for the rage duration, and then come back.

*And some....like the Chosen of Mystra...might say wiggle a pinky toe and freeze 10,000 dragon in time so they can't rage

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11696 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2022 :  21:15:14  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like that idea of a portal to Coliar. Since the planets are far apart, they may not even rage, as its when the comet approaches Toril. It could be pretty interesting if a lot of the cultures of Anchorome / Maztica which were very interested in the movements of stars in the sky, were interested because of dragon rages. If Coliar and its bird folk had portal(s) to Coliar in areas formerly held by the Aearee and they aided dragons by helping them get away, it makes for an interesting story for that continent.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2022 :  16:40:19  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know most don't like the concept here, but Abeir is another place dragons can escape to during the Rages.

quote:
Originally posted by bloodtide_the_redñ
*It might explain Dragon Sleep. That is dragons go into deep, deep sleep so they can't wake up and Rage. I always liked the old BECMI dragon idea that dragons astraly protect themselves out in the multiverse to learn. A dragon can't rage if their mind is many planes away from their body.

Interesting enough, in the novels metallic dragons avoided the effects of the Rage by sleeping.

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6353 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2022 :  20:44:15  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well i've recently accepted gods visiting Toril in person so i may as well come to terms with Abeir in all its glory.

I would explain the reason we knew nothing about Abeir until 1400s because when the Tearfall happened it knocked Toril out of alignment with Faerie (in ancient times Faerie was in much closer connection with Toril than it is today).

So Abeir and Toril become closely linked instead and the dragons are able to cross over easily between the worlds. I did always wonder if the dragon eggs falling in 1373 is also how the dragons originated in -31000. The question is did the eggs fall before the meteor struck or did they fall after. If it is after then we have the problem of how did dragons get to Abeir, but if it was easier to cross between worlds back then, then that problem is solved.

Anyway, over time it became more and more difficulty to cross between Abeir and Toril and vice versa, in much the same way that Toril and Faerie became more distant over time.

So modern day dragons do not have that easy protection that dragons from millennia ago had.

Just a thought.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2022 :  00:25:17  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think knowledge of Abeir was forgotten by Torilian dragons in the same way they forgot about the origins of the Rage itself. The Rage may have been responsible, actually.

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2022 :  10:09:35  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It seems like a great opportunity to access a dragon's unguarded hoard. Or to prepare an ambush in its lair - against a dragon which will likely return exhausted, weakened, injured, and confused from its rage.

The Cult of the Dragon might be able to gain advantage over dragons in this way. Who knows what sorts of sinister scrying devices and enchanted traps they might place within the lair and the hoard.

Liches might wait for this opportunity to access desired magical treasures with little personal risk.

Adventurers might use this opportunity to rob a dragon's hoard. Or they might be hired as "guards" by dragons who are aware of the oncoming compulsions which will force them to take flight. Militias, armies, and mercenaries might be prepared for this rare chance to slay a dragon which has tormented their kingdom. Even timid scholars might dare to peek within a (temporarily) abandoned dragon's lair in the hopes of finding rare scrolls, tomes, and documents.

Indeed, even other races and monsters might attempt to slay or enslave a dragon this way. Imagine a dragon returning to its lair, fatigued, depleted, without any breath weapons or spells remaining - only to be caged within a dwarven siege work or to be confronted by an orcish war tribe or to be cornered by a dozen beholders, etc.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Italian Archmage Karsus
Learned Scribe

117 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2022 :  11:28:45  Show Profile Send Italian Archmage Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
With all of that said, I think back to the novel - in it, there were dragons that spent half the year prior to Karasendrieth's discovery without any Rage mitigations, and didn't seem to mind. Most Rages, every 300 to 700 years, were supposed to last maybe a month, or two in the most extreme case, as far as I recall.
So frankly I have the opposite view- if we know no particular mitigation is necessary to endure the Rages, would the dragons notice them as anything other than a time of extreme discomfort? (in which some of their peers celebrate the spirit of the season by ganging up on the tastier races of course) Way I see it, the dragons might've been caught unaware by the fresh mythal and gone instantly into pulping people, but for later Rages, the dragons should see it as less of a rampage and more of an incoming prison riot: they know things are going to get pretty violent for everyone, and will probably try to sleep it off unless they have some ulterior motive to participate in the "riot". (Some of those motives might be as underwhelming as boredom or having someone they want to shank in the confusion)
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2022 :  11:53:19  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A sleeping dragon - in a state of unnaturally (or supernaturally) deep hibernation - is still unable to guard its lair and its treasure hoard.

Though if it should somehow be awakened into a magically-augmented bestial rage state then things would get very ugly for the intruder(s).

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 08 Dec 2022 11:54:19
Go to Top of Page

Italian Archmage Karsus
Learned Scribe

117 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2022 :  12:12:23  Show Profile Send Italian Archmage Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, Ayrik, but that hibernation was only added in by Nexus because he anticipated a rage lasting waaaaay longer than normal. Karasendrieth's rogues go into no hibernation, and they still make it for longer than two months overall. I am trying to say, maybe no mitigation is effectively necessary, and metallic dragons can guard their hoards normally; they just have to be careful not to have any visitors (that they don't want to eat) for those two months.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000