Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Rage of Dragons, questions & speculations
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2022 :  15:36:43  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gary Dallison

<snip> I did always wonder if the dragon eggs falling in 1373 is also how the dragons originated in -31000. The question is did the eggs fall before the meteor struck or did they fall after. If it is after then we have the problem of how did dragons get to Abeir, but if it was easier to cross between worlds back then, then that problem is solved.

One thing to note, and I did not catch it initially. The Lore is this

"the tearfall/first sundering happened and dragon eggs rained down"

but also

"the primordials went to abeir where their dragon mounts turned against them"

So, there were dragons around PRIOR to the tearfall. What kind they were... unknown without further research of 4e lore.

I've also often wondered if the dragons were "mounts" in the traditional sense (i.e. were the primordials riding around on the backs of dragons).... or were the primordials "riding in their minds controlling them" and thus the primordials were no longer able to mentally control the dragons and the dragons didn't actually "kill" their masters in many instances, but rather just gained control of their faculties again. There are some references to physical fights between primordial and dragon, so at least in some instances they may have physically fought, but that may have been only after the dragon regained its controls and then hunted down the primordial.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2443 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2022 :  18:26:55  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, if we add 5e draconic lore, that may solve this particular issue. We know that dragons predate the current worlds of D&D, as they were denizens of the "First World". This is somehow supported by older lore (Mystara), which said dragons are really old creatures related to the draedens.

Perhaps the dragons enslaved by the primordials were the survivors of the destruction of the First World, unrelated with the new generation of dragons that were born in the new worlds.

Just a theory.

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6353 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2022 :  18:38:37  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Out of all the crap that 5e introduced I actually like the First World stuff the most as it provides a justification for my shattered universe theory where each world is a flawed copy of the original and is trying to recreate it.

So dragons appear / evolve separately on all the major planets of the spheres.

Also explains how we have 2 Banes in the lore. One is the Bane of the first world, and the Bane of FR is a flawed recreation.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2022 :  19:08:46  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Of course, Paizo had the First World as a thing long before someone at WotC decided to run with it.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2022 :  23:14:34  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Of course, Paizo had the First World as a thing long before someone at WotC decided to run with it.

That idea in various forms has been around for a long damn time. I don't think Paizo can exactly take ownership.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2443 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2022 :  01:36:42  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

This is a case of the original copying the copy.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2022 :  03:41:27  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:

That idea in various forms has been around for a long damn time. I don't think Paizo can exactly take ownership.

I didn't say they created it -- only that they were there long before WotC.

Heck, the movie The One, with Jet Li, predates Paizo doing their First World thing -- and with their multiversal dragons nonsense, WotC is heavily ripping off that movie, too.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 16 Dec 2022 03:44:10
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6353 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2022 :  06:07:21  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While I like the first world thing, the multiverse dragons initially sounded stupid. But, what if it only applies to the dragons from the first world. Much like the elder gods that can have duplicates all over the multiverse so can these elder dragons.

So what it really means is these elder dragons are able to create aspects anywhere and beings like Io, Tiamat, Bahamut, Garyx are all part of that group.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2022 :  14:00:28  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gary Dallison

While I like the first world thing, the multiverse dragons initially sounded stupid. But, what if it only applies to the dragons from the first world. Much like the elder gods that can have duplicates all over the multiverse so can these elder dragons.

So what it really means is these elder dragons are able to create aspects anywhere and beings like Io, Tiamat, Bahamut, Garyx are all part of that group.

But that's not what they've said. They've made it so that all dragons are multiversal. And then they made it even weirder by saying "yeah, this dragon might be a CE red in one world, but could be a LG gold in another!"

Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6353 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2022 :  14:49:04  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well as always their execution of an idea is sub standard.

The idea itself fits well with elder gods and aspects and the draconic gods themselves.

Take the nugget of usefulness WoTC accidentally created, and out of faeces we may make something better (depending upon your personal tastes of course)

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2022 :  16:37:46  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I prefer the idea of SOME as well. I would also say that with dragons of this type, if they "die" their spirit is reincarnated in a new dragon egg. I also don't like the changing types of dragons between worlds, but I'm not against the alignment difference.

That being said, I wouldn't say that its necessarily first world.... I would say that a dragon that somehow ascends can send his spirit into other worlds, where he is rebirthed. The idea of the air dragons of Coliar advancing to a great age and then becoming "air dragons" that are incorporeal and can travel wildspace.... maybe they are ascending and they're sending out portions of their spirit to be reborn in new worlds. Maybe they then instill via some ritual a large portion of their power into something, and then if their spirits can get all their variations to "join" they can regain this power and their memories.... kind of like, but different, Tiamat did following the spellplague in the Untheric area where she split herself amongst 3 dragons

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2443 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2022 :  02:51:01  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with keeping the good ideas of Fizban's. For instance, I like the idea of dragons being tied to the Material Plane. I've liked this idea since I read it in the 2e Draconomicon, actually. This could explain why dragons were susceptible to the primordials' control, as their elemental nature could have been easily influenced by the masters of the elemental creatures. We can even create some explanation for the Rage based on this lore.

Edited by - Zeromaru X on 17 Dec 2022 02:52:06
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000