Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Any game hints released about the new FR Magic Set
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11696 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2021 :  01:06:01  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So, I've recently gotten very hooked on playing MTG again on MTG Arena, partly because I think it will be fun once they release the FR set. I admit... I don't have the greatest deck in the world and lose probably half my games, but I still love it (going on MAYBE 3 weeks now). I'm also still learning the new rules of MTG, and I was curious about what exactly people might have heard about specifically any rule changes being seen for the new expansion?

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11696 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2021 :  01:20:44  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, and as if that wasn't like weirdly timely. I just logged into MTG Arena, and their store is selling advanced sales of 50 decks. There's some other addition that gives auto access to the mastery pass and some draft tokens (not sure what that's about, as I've only been doing the free stuff). Still, I picked up the 50 boosters for 50 bucks.... guess that's not a bad price if it makes me have fun for a little while. Lord knows I've wasted that much on rulebooks that I never got use out of.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

keftiu
Senior Scribe

656 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2021 :  03:56:48  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They just did a big reveal stream today: the big mechanic is called Dungeons, which are little flowcharts you progress through when prompted to by creature cards or spells. Each “room” of the dungeon has an effect, and some creatures care about having completed at least one Dungeon in the current game. AFR is launching with three, each named for 5e adventures, but I expect to see more if these do well.

The official website or the subreddit are your best sources of info! Here’s the official description: https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/adventures-forgotten-realms-mechanics-2021-06-24

4e fangirl. Here to queer up the Realms.
Go to Top of Page

ElfBane
Learned Scribe

USA
277 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2021 :  07:13:42  Show Profile Send ElfBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How deep into a Pay-to-Win game will you go?
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11696 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2021 :  00:11:39  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ElfBane

How deep into a Pay-to-Win game will you go?

Not deep. But I look at it like this, I buy almost every 5e book they release, and some of those are pure trash that gives me less than 2 hours joy. 50 packs to open for $50... is more packs to open than all I've earned in probably the past 3 weeks, and its FR... so, in this instance, there is nerdism involved too...

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11696 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2021 :  00:18:10  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by keftiu

They just did a big reveal stream today: the big mechanic is called Dungeons, which are little flowcharts you progress through when prompted to by creature cards or spells. Each “room” of the dungeon has an effect, and some creatures care about having completed at least one Dungeon in the current game. AFR is launching with three, each named for 5e adventures, but I expect to see more if these do well.

The official website or the subreddit are your best sources of info! Here’s the official description: https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/adventures-forgotten-realms-mechanics-2021-06-24

Thank you Keftiu. What's the "command zone", and does that apply in just the standard play games? This looks like a cute mechanic, and hopefully I can use it in just the "pickup" games you can play.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2021 :  00:56:14  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do the characters from these cards have any background story? I mean, they say they are "legendary characters", but I've never read about some of them.

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2021 :  02:37:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zeromaru X

Do the characters from these cards have any background story? I mean, they say they are "legendary characters", but I've never read about some of them.

One of the blurbs I read said that some of the characters are newly-created for this set.

I'm glad to see that someone at WotC is capable of creating new characters, still! Some of what they've done to existing ones... <shudders>

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

keftiu
Senior Scribe

656 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2021 :  02:42:47  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Legendaries are cards for specific individuals, rather than archetypal creatures; the difference between a Goblin Bushwacker and Krenko, Mob Boss (a goblin crime lord). Several of the legendaries for AFR are new characters.

Most sets are supported by weekly web fiction.

Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2021 :  02:43:09  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:

Thank you Keftiu. What's the "command zone", and does that apply in just the standard play games? This looks like a cute mechanic, and hopefully I can use it in just the "pickup" games you can play.

https://mtg.fandom.com/wiki/Command

Mostly its where the Commander residies in Commander/Brawl decks, but certain other cards go there too, like Dungeons, Conspiracies, and Planes.
Go to Top of Page

keftiu
Senior Scribe

656 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2021 :  02:53:07  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

A zone outside of normal play that can’t really be interacted with; in other words, your opponent can’t do anything to your Dungeons. Totally works in “kitchen table” play like yours!

Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3737 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2021 :  06:59:43  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-What are the odds D#251;d Onahorz rides again? My peak contribution to "Realmslore" lol.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerûn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerûn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium

Edited by - Lord Karsus on 26 Jun 2021 07:01:37
Go to Top of Page

keftiu
Senior Scribe

656 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2021 :  08:01:32  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Something worth noting: a few sets back, the newest visit to Zendikar had the "Party" mechanic, which rewarded you for having a Warrior, a Wizard, a Cleric, and Rogue on the field. Between that and this fairly conservative run at the Dungeon mechanic, I'm curious to see if both will ever do well enough to be paired - you can be sure this won't be their last crossover.

Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2021 :  16:24:51  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Something worth noting: a few sets back, the newest visit to Zendikar had the "Party" mechanic, which rewarded you for having a Warrior, a Wizard, a Cleric, and Rogue on the field. Between that and this fairly conservative run at the Dungeon mechanic, I'm curious to see if both will ever do well enough to be paired - you can be sure this won't be their last crossover.

AFR will not have cards with the party mechanic, there are too many class creature types they want to use to support the mechanic in the set, but it has Rogues, Wizards, Clerics and Warriors.
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2021 :  16:42:31  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

AFR will not have cards with the party mechanic, there are too many class creature types they want to use to support the mechanic in the set, but it has Rogues, Wizards, Clerics and Warriors.
Go to Top of Page

keftiu
Senior Scribe

656 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2021 :  19:13:49  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gyor

quote:

This is why I was talking about in the future, if both mechanics were received well.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11696 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2021 :  23:26:44  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

A zone outside of normal play that can’t really be interacted with; in other words, your opponent can’t do anything to your Dungeons. Totally works in “kitchen table” play like yours!

Hmmm, not sure I was clear enough to make sure the response matches to what I meant. All I ever play in MTG arena is click "play" and it matches me up to other people. I don't do anything that requires me to spend crystals or coin, etc... So, I see a bunch of "draft" stuff, which I don't do, nor brawl stuff (which I'm purely guessing seems to be just playing where you use a deck bigger than 60?). If I sound like a newb to the game, well, I am. Still having fun though.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

keftiu
Senior Scribe

656 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2021 :  02:06:56  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Hmmm, not sure I was clear enough to make sure the response matches to what I meant. All I ever play in MTG arena is click "play" and it matches me up to other people. I don't do anything that requires me to spend crystals or coin, etc... So, I see a bunch of "draft" stuff, which I don't do, nor brawl stuff (which I'm purely guessing seems to be just playing where you use a deck bigger than 60?). If I sound like a newb to the game, well, I am. Still having fun though.

Magic has a number of formats, with altered rules and card legalities. What you’re playing is called Standard. Brawl is a version of Commander, where you have a Legendary Creature “commanding” your deck, and cannot have more than one of any card in your deck.

Dungeons will be legal in Standard with the rest of the Forgotten Realms set (AFR) once it releases.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11696 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2021 :  02:18:00  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Magic has a number of formats, with altered rules and card legalities. What you’re playing is called Standard. Brawl is a version of Commander, where you have a Legendary Creature “commanding” your deck, and cannot have more than one of any card in your deck.

Dungeons will be legal in Standard with the rest of the Forgotten Realms set (AFR) once it releases.

Ok, thank you, that definitely explains more to me.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2021 :  00:02:39  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Seeing that Farideh is a legendary creature in this set, I don't understand why they choose a random dragonborn paladin as their legendary dragonborn, lol. I mean, I appreciate they at least introduced a dragonborn to the roster of characters, given the treatment WotC has given them in 5e, but I had preferred they had used an established NPC, such as Mehen, or Medrash if they needed a paladin. I hope this Nadaar guy will at least be a paladin of Bahamut.

Sorry for the mini-rant.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11696 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2021 :  00:55:08  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
just curious, since so many people are focused on a card or two, how many cards in a set like this? I'm picturing like 500 or so, but maybe I'm way off base? Even with that many, I honestly would find it hard to figure out what all to put in... spells... NPC's... items. There is so much stuff in FR.

That being said Zeromarux, I think Farideh's father Mehen would have been a good entry.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

keftiu
Senior Scribe

656 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2021 :  00:59:03  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

just curious, since so many people are focused on a card or two, how many cards in a set like this? I'm picturing like 500 or so, but maybe I'm way off base? Even with that many, I honestly would find it hard to figure out what all to put in... spells... NPC's... items. There is so much stuff in FR.

281 cards, plus a few extra new ones in the Commander decks.

Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2021 :  04:15:59  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

That being said Zeromarux, I think Farideh's father Mehen would have been a good entry.

Personally, I prefer Medrash. He is a paladin, so fills the role the card intended to portray (the now cliché dragonborn paladin), and it's an established NPC from Realmslore that deserves a bit more love.

But well, we have this Nadaar guy. I hope he has an interesting story, at least.

Go to Top of Page

TKU
Learned Scribe

USA
158 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2021 :  21:16:58  Show Profile Send TKU a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Seeing that Farideh is a legendary creature in this set, I don't understand why they choose a random dragonborn paladin as their legendary dragonborn, lol. I mean, I appreciate they at least introduced a dragonborn to the roster of characters, given the treatment WotC has given them in 5e, but I had preferred they had used an established NPC, such as Mehen, or Medrash if they needed a paladin. I hope this Nadaar guy will at least be a paladin of Bahamut.

Sorry for the mini-rant.

It is pretty weird to me that this set is so overflowing with new characters, particularly since this set isn't drawing exclusively from 5e....ex: Icingdeath is in it as a legendary creature, and that dragon died a long time ago. If they wanted to Wotc could easily have filled out their roster of legendary creatures with pre-existing realms characters.
Go to Top of Page

keftiu
Senior Scribe

656 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2021 :  21:38:31  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TKU

quote:

Sorry for the mini-rant.

It is pretty weird to me that this set is so overflowing with new characters, particularly since this set isn't drawing exclusively from 5e....ex: Icingdeath is in it as a legendary creature, and that dragon died a long time ago. If they wanted to Wotc could easily have filled out their roster of legendary creatures with pre-existing realms characters.

A lot of those deep cut references mean nothing to newer D&D fans, and a good chunk of Magic players have never interacted with D&D; having a mix of references and illustrative new characters as examples makes good sense. You don’t want a majority of your playerbase feeling out of the loop.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11696 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2021 :  14:58:55  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TKU

quote:

Sorry for the mini-rant.

One thing to bear in mind.... card that sucks = new players thinking that NPC sucks. That being said, not sure if they have 281 cards only, and the majority of those will be unnamed entities like "Zhentarim Soldier" or "Dalesland Archer" or somesuch, spells, and items... I wonder how many will actually be named individuals.

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 03 Jul 2021 15:14:59
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2021 :  17:11:14  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

A lot of those deep cut references mean nothing to newer D&D fans, and a good chunk of Magic players have never interacted with D&D; having a mix of references and illustrative new characters as examples makes good sense. You don’t want a majority of your playerbase feeling out of the loop.

If established characters mean nothing to some players, doesn't this puts the old characters in the same boat of the new, with-no-background characters? In that case, I still prefer to use established characters for the few players who would the reference. It's still better than characters that mean nothing to everyone.

No, I guess they have other criteria when including characters. This Nadaar guy, and his party (I've seen a card of the female mage in his art) maybe are PCs of someone in the staff, or something.

Edited by - Zeromaru X on 03 Jul 2021 17:15:56
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2021 :  13:32:43  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Reading up on some of the cards and came across this bit.

"The designers also reaffirmed that Adventures in the Forgotten Realms would not be considered canon in Magic: The Gathering’s storyline and multiverse, with the appearance of MTG planes such as Theros, Ravnica and Strixhaven in Dungeons & Dragons via 5E sourcebooks similarly kept separate from the tabletop RPG’s lore."
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11696 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2021 :  20:12:26  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

If established characters mean nothing to some players, doesn't this puts the old characters in the same boat of the new, with-no-background characters? In that case, I still prefer to use established characters for the few players who would the reference. It's still better than characters that mean nothing to everyone.

No, I guess they have other criteria when including characters. This Nadaar guy, and his party (I've seen a card of the female mage in his art) maybe are PCs of someone in the staff, or something.

Yeah, I was thinking something of the same thing (and I'm noting in the MTG Arena game there's some second package you can order for an Ellywick Tumblestrum who appears like a bard and is a planeswalker.... wonder if that's someone's character)

https://www.cardkingdom.com/mtg/adventures-in-the-forgotten-realms/ellywick-tumblestrum

https://dotesports.com/mtg/news/new-mtg-planeswalker-ellywick-tumblestrum-enables-dungeon-mechanic

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 04 Jul 2021 20:13:10
Go to Top of Page

Qilintha
Seeker

76 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2021 :  14:36:19  Show Profile Send Qilintha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well there are characters like Minsc, Feridah, Zariel as planeswalker, Orcus, Ebondeath, The Blackstaff, Deck of Many Things and many many others . I think they are doing a decent job with the cards so far honestly.
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2021 :  23:44:50  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Its the starting to look like there might not be any Elminster in this set and that would be the single most moronic thing they could do if that is the case, especially when they have a bunch of Greyhawk refugees like Vecna.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000