Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Any game hints released about the new FR Magic Set

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
sleyvas Posted - 25 Jun 2021 : 01:06:01
So, I've recently gotten very hooked on playing MTG again on MTG Arena, partly because I think it will be fun once they release the FR set. I admit... I don't have the greatest deck in the world and lose probably half my games, but I still love it (going on MAYBE 3 weeks now). I'm also still learning the new rules of MTG, and I was curious about what exactly people might have heard about specifically any rule changes being seen for the new expansion?
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Wooly Rupert Posted - 26 Aug 2021 : 15:57:16
quote:
Originally posted by Renin

I got a borderless Tiamat and Ol'Gnawbones that I'll happily sell on ebay very soon

I'd love to get the Old Gnawbones card, myself, but I've not been willing to spend eBay prices for it... I don't play Magic, I just want the card for the art -- so the asking prices I'm seeing, even for the non-foil ones, are out of my range.

I wish they'd included him in the Art Series cards. I've gotten several of those for fairly cheap, to use as bookmarks.
Renin Posted - 26 Aug 2021 : 15:14:18
I got a borderless Tiamat and Ol'Gnawbones that I'll happily sell on ebay very soon
sleyvas Posted - 26 Aug 2021 : 14:51:19
maybe they'll actually be making gods that are more intrinsically FR this time and NPC's that are more specifically realms NPC's as well.
Wayne1017 Posted - 26 Aug 2021 : 09:12:36
We'll be getting more FR magic sets: http://www.magicspoiler.com/mtg-set/commander-legends-battle-for-baldurs-gate/
Gyor Posted - 09 Aug 2021 : 17:26:13
A side effect of the Dragon Tribal and Treasure's matters themes of this set a
Is that my Goldspan Dragon (from the Kaldheim set) has exploded in value.

I Finally got my AFR Gift Bundle and I pulled two Asmodeus's, one regular version and one Extended Art Foil version, so now with the one from the Arena starter kit, I have three of him. If you keep keeping a Devil God card, even though its not like a Tarot card, its kind of spooky.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 08 Aug 2021 : 01:08:00
I picked up a booster set at Target today, and it had the Art Series card of Cave of the Frost Giant. I was most pleased -- I love me some Larry Elmore artwork!
Wooly Rupert Posted - 07 Aug 2021 : 17:15:47
I'd like to get the card of Old Gnawbone; I like the artwork. But given the prices I see on eBay, that is not likely.

I was eyeballing the card with the borderless art of Iymrith, but I found the art online, took a closer look at it, and decided to pass.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 06 Aug 2021 : 21:01:22
I really like that some of the Land cards are done up like old module covers.

The Cave of the Frost Dragon has just joined my stack of bookmarks.
sleyvas Posted - 05 Aug 2021 : 18:03:00
quote:
Originally posted by Firestorm

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Zeromaru X

I guess all cards are here, but I can be mistaken

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/card-image-gallery/adventures-in-the-forgotten-realms

Thank you for that link. Definitely a couple of cards I'll be hunting down so I can have one as a bookmark.

Not for play, though. I swore off CCGs a long time ago. I sank a lot of money into playing Spellfire, back in the day -- enough that I always cringe when I walk by Cardhalla, at GenCon!

Lol. Magic is the game that you had to pay to win.

But it ended up paying me back 2 decades after I stopped playing.

I've been selling cards off in singles on Facebook for the last month. I'm in disbelief at the prices of cards from the 90s now.

Hmmm, wonder if I even remotely could find any of my old decks. Not really interested in the physical game, and would be happy to sell them.
Firestorm Posted - 05 Aug 2021 : 11:57:06
quote:

quote:

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/card-image-gallery/adventures-in-the-forgotten-realms

Thank you for that link. Definitely a couple of cards I'll be hunting down so I can have one as a bookmark.

Not for play, though. I swore off CCGs a long time ago. I sank a lot of money into playing Spellfire, back in the day -- enough that I always cringe when I walk by Cardhalla, at GenCon!

Lol. Magic is the game that you had to pay to win.

But it ended up paying me back 2 decades after I stopped playing.

I've been selling cards off in singles on Facebook for the last month. I'm in disbelief at the prices of cards from the 90s now.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 01 Aug 2021 : 02:25:31
quote:

Zeromaru X Posted - 01 Aug 2021 : 01:48:28

EDIT:
Here is the art for the tokens:
https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/card-preview/tokens-adventures-forgotten-realms-2021-07-12
Wooly Rupert Posted - 01 Aug 2021 : 01:10:09
I picked up a set of these cards, off of eBay, on a whim. Just a single pack.

Is there a list of cards, with the artwork, somewhere? I am inclined to turn a couple of the cards I got into bookmarks, and so I want to know what all ones are out there that I might be inclined to do this to.
sleyvas Posted - 25 Jul 2021 : 17:11:02
quote:
Originally posted by Gyor

I have to admit, the set seems to be selling really well, with prerelease kits, set & draft booster boxes already sold out at my lgs and they just started offering preorders a week or two ago, unlike alot of retailers.

This I'm glad to hear. While I myself won't be purchasing physical cards (they'll end up in a drawer and unused), I am intrigued to see what they may or may not do to try and bring these game systems together.
Lord Karsus Posted - 24 Jul 2021 : 14:12:47
quote:

Have you seen the original covers for The Legacy or Starless Night?

-A lot of the 2e cover art was hit or miss, but man, a lot of those misses were complete whiffs.
Gyor Posted - 23 Jul 2021 : 21:30:12
I have to admit, the set seems to be selling really well, with prerelease kits, set & draft booster boxes already sold out at my lgs and they just started offering preorders a week or two ago, unlike alot of retailers.
Baltas Posted - 23 Jul 2021 : 18:58:24
This is actually quite interestinng - the Grandmaster of Flowers title, indeed seemingly indicated the title of strongest/highest level monk (ie to the point it's an Epid Destiny in Dungeons and Dragons Online, and more importantly 4E, were it was presented as as essentially achieving enlightement, transcending becoming comparable to at least being close attaining at least a status of Bodhisattva, or in setting for Forgotten Realms, Padhrasattva. (Other Epic Destinies included becoming variously very powerful figures - an Athasian Sorcerer King and eventually Dragon; Avangion; Duke of Hell, Demigod, Avatar of Io, (lesser?) Primordial, Chosen of a God etc). (Though to be fair 4E majorly upgraded the status of what the Grandmaster of Flowers title meant.)

So I wonder what caused Grandmaster of Flowers, be specifically the title of the Grandmaster of the Monastery of the Yellow Rose. Maybe due to knowege of other worlds were it was used as a title. Or maybe at time, some Grandmaster of Monastery of the Yellow Rose was the most powerful or respected Monk Grandmaster in Faerun, or even whole Toril, and was awarded the title of the Grandmaster of Flowers, it being latter used by their succesors?
sleyvas Posted - 23 Jul 2021 : 13:08:31
Oh, and on the "grandmaster of flowers" as bahamut reference.... I kept wondering about that so I pulled up an old copy of the 1e player's handbook. Every monk who is 17th level in 1e was given the title "grandmaster of flowers". Now, in 1st edition, all monks across the world would vie for this in theory, but I can definitely buy there being different groups of monks all following different traditions (i.e. some monks aligned with Ilmater, some evil monks might follow a goddess like Shar or Loviatar, etc.... and many monks might be entirely not specifically tied to any religion)
sleyvas Posted - 23 Jul 2021 : 00:56:53
Hey, just because I just realized it.... you can buy packs for older series with gold (I was thinking it was just the current one that's coming out). I like the Theros expansion, but was wondering if there's any particular one I should maybe look at? Mostly I've been playing a white game, but I like playing a white/green or white/black or even white/blue decks. Green's also becoming a favorite, and I may start playing with a green/black or green/blue deck as well.
Gyor Posted - 22 Jul 2021 : 18:23:12
quote:

They expanded the lore of the FR characters in the card set:

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/legends-adventures-forgotten-realms-2021-07-16?fbclid=IwAR0LWCRcfDa5qfMBSsLD8mWPsi2nwAHTP58gQrecWC5wSswbE3vY2Z0wG4k

None of that is FR canon and now neither are the novels. In their arrogence they killed the Forgotten Realms.
Zeromaru X Posted - 20 Jul 2021 : 02:19:15
They expanded the lore of the FR characters in the card set:

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/legends-adventures-forgotten-realms-2021-07-16?fbclid=IwAR0LWCRcfDa5qfMBSsLD8mWPsi2nwAHTP58gQrecWC5wSswbE3vY2Z0wG4k
Wooly Rupert Posted - 15 Jul 2021 : 22:44:43
quote:
Originally posted by keftiu

Can we maybe dial down on bashing anyone who cares about sexual assault and misogyny, please? It’s a terrible look.

Agreed.
keftiu Posted - 15 Jul 2021 : 22:17:50
Can we maybe dial down on bashing anyone who cares about sexual assault and misogyny, please? It’s a terrible look.
Firestorm Posted - 15 Jul 2021 : 22:07:33
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Gyor

Everytime some woke fantic says this, just point out Elminister is gender fluid and accuse them of transphobia and they back off Elminster. You can also point out Elminster was the first champion of the LGBT+ community in D&D.

Well, according to the tweet I read, the problem is that Elminster dated a lot of young women (or women that looked way younger than him), so the guy is viewed (according to this person) as a sexist and womanizer symbol of the 70s.

These same woke dorks complain that American pie is sexist, homophobic and promotes rape culture. They can't look at anything older than they are without critiquing it with a modern eye and the modern eye is pretty lackluster
Wooly Rupert Posted - 11 Jul 2021 : 19:38:41
quote:
Originally posted by Firestorm

quote:
Originally posted by Eldacar

quote:

And hey, last time I checked, there was still a pretty significant age difference between Drizzt and Cattie-Brie. I guess it's okay when it's Drizzt.

Drizzt looks young despite being three years away from finishing his second century of life as of the current year in FR (1494). I hesitate to "point fingers" in drawing comparisons based on that, but it is reminiscent of the sort of relationship most recently dubbed Twilight-style romance (ancient long-lived immortal whatever, young human female). Meanwhile, Elminster is old and looks it.

Obviously he needs to just trim his beard and get a haircut and start looking like bearded George Clooney instead.

Elves generally don't look elderly even when they are super old. Not till they are just about to go

Have you seen the original covers for The Legacy or Starless Night?
Firestorm Posted - 11 Jul 2021 : 17:50:12
quote:
Originally posted by Eldacar

quote:

And hey, last time I checked, there was still a pretty significant age difference between Drizzt and Cattie-Brie. I guess it's okay when it's Drizzt.

Drizzt looks young despite being three years away from finishing his second century of life as of the current year in FR (1494). I hesitate to "point fingers" in drawing comparisons based on that, but it is reminiscent of the sort of relationship most recently dubbed Twilight-style romance (ancient long-lived immortal whatever, young human female). Meanwhile, Elminster is old and looks it.

Obviously he needs to just trim his beard and get a haircut and start looking like bearded George Clooney instead.

Elves generally don't look elderly even when they are super old. Not till they are just about to go
Lord Karsus Posted - 10 Jul 2021 : 21:15:52
-Twitter is a terrible place.
sleyvas Posted - 09 Jul 2021 : 11:45:10
oh, gotcha, I thought it was some recent thing or something for WoW... which I never followed the game, because I was playing EQ2. Kind of wish I had for points like this, but I really liked EQ2's graphics better.

On the MTG Arena thing.... loaded up the new game. Unpacked my cards last night on both accounts. The only real "names" I recognized were the gods, and they tried to stick to the most generic non-FR specific gods that they could apparently (i.e. Orcus, Lolth, Bahamut, Tiamat, etc...), granted Lolth and Orcus do have a lot of history there (Tiamat and Bahamut less so, but more since 4e). Still, I'm surprised they didn't do some actual FR specific gods. Of the "named" NPC's, the only one I offhand recognized was Minsc (with Boo) and the dark elf you guys mentioned of Eilistraee.... and Mordenkainen....

That let down aside, I logged in on both accounts (I have 2 just because I like to do the daily quests) and I played yesterday from about 4:30 until past midnight, and I had a lot of fun. Not anything amazing mechanics wise that I learned, but it was nice to have enough of a deck to build a good theme, I'd have spent that much going on vacation just for myself (not including eats), and would have had less fun, so I consider the money well spent.
Zeromaru X Posted - 08 Jul 2021 : 22:53:48
Both takes are valid, Baltas. Sylvanas' fans want her to have a redemption arc because she is "waifu" and necrophilia seems to be a thing in the WoW fandom, regardless of the heinous things Sylvanas has committed over 17 years of lore (genocide, gasing her own people, starting wars, betraying Horde twice or thrice, etc)... So, if Elminster just shaved and looked a bit more like old James Bond, he will be well liked by the people, regardless of his "perverted" ways.
Baltas Posted - 08 Jul 2021 : 21:06:37
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

What's happening in WoW?

Well, I think Zeromaru X means Sylvanas, how over the years she was made more evil, especially since the last expansion before the currrent one (Battle for Azeroth), and the current one (Shadowlands). (Warning spoilers) Including commiting genocide, intentionally damning countless souls (including victims of her genocide) to basically Hell, and working for guy (Zovaal the Jailer) who will basically enslave everyone and reshape the universe in his image if he wins (also, Zovaal was closelly involved in the creaton of the Lich King). But will semingly get redeemed even after all this.

There some details to this (Sylvanas didn't knew Zovaal's plan, despite everything, and he posibly had some mental influence on her since she became first undead; it being also a reaction to basically framing the Horde and it's Warchief as vilainous again etc), but it's an at best VERY controversial and rather critiqued point.

Which I why I would suggest for any other Warcraft fans to not discuss this thread.

[EDIT]

Though alternatelly, Zeromaru X might mean handsome/beautiful characters (aside from Sylvanas, Kael'thas, Illidan, Arthas, even kinda Jaina falling here), are wanted by the Warcraft fanbase to have,or already had redeemption arcs, or already had them/were forgiven in WoW.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000