Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Favorite Race
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2012 :  06:08:47  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Poll Question:
Here is where you can vote for your favorite race. I've lumped some of them together, and you can specify if you wish Some of the "lumping" might be stretching it (such as putting the tieflings with the demons/devils, but I didn't want to stretch the list too thin). There are a lot of races in the Realms, and this list is only brushing the surface. I was tempted to put Shadovar and genasi too, but there just isn't enough room. That's what the "other" option is for.

Choices:

fey (elves, drow, etc)
goblinkin (goblins, kobolds, etc)
angels (devas, archons, and I''''m including aasimars too)
demons/devils (and tieflings, even though they are only half)
dragons
orcs
halflings
dwarves
humans
gnomes
other

(Anonymous Vote)

Sweet water and light laughter

Edited by - CorellonsDevout on 24 Oct 2012 06:35:06

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2012 :  06:25:54  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had to vote "other," since gnomes weren't an option. And dwarves. Gnomes and dwarves are my favourite RPG races.

Though, it puzzles me as to why dragons would be listed as a race, while gnomes were overlooked?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2012 :  06:34:08  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oops! Sorry, I'll edit it and include them.

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

MrHedgehog
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2012 :  08:05:07  Show Profile  Visit MrHedgehog's Homepage Send MrHedgehog a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gnomes... it might be because of Jan Jansen in the Baldur's Gate game though haha
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2012 :  09:13:20  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My favorite races are, in order, using the 4e style for each where applicable;

Orcs/half-orcs, tieflings, genasi, shadar-kai, goliaths, devas, dragonborn, humans, gith, duergar, dwarves, shifters, minotaurs, yakfolk, goblinkin, gnolls, half-elves, drow, shades, halflings, kobolds, gnomes, elves/eladrin...

I limited that to things you're likely to see in the realms, or are established in the realms even if you aren't likely to see them. Other races, like warforged, shardminds, wilden, bladelings, changings, thri-keen, kalashtar, bullywugs, kenku, and muls would fill that out a bit more.

"Then I saw there was a way to Hell even from the gates of Heaven"
- John Bunyan, Pilgrim's Progress

Fatum Iustum Stultorum. Righteous is the destiny of fools.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
http://theroleplayersgazebo.yuku.com/directory#.Ub4hvvlJOAY
Go to Top of Page

Lord Bane
Senior Scribe

Germany
479 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2012 :  09:19:43  Show Profile Send Lord Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wished there would be the option for more votes as i am torn between the fiends, humans and the drow (not naming elves for we all know that drow are the better elves ) and i do wonder if you rather consider the Fey'ri fiends or still elves

The driving force in the multiverse is evil, for it forces good to act.
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2012 :  09:28:21  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
PC race, humans.

NPC mostrous races, fey (not elf-like, redcaps, fomorians, splinterwaifs and such), intelligent constructs (except the warforged), and weird alien-outsider races (e.g. ethergaunts, kaorti, arcane, urdfhan, caulborn, denizens of Leng, quori, proteans, inevitables, reigar, parai, nerra ...).
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4430 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2012 :  11:02:14  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I went with human, but also really like Dragonborn and Vyrloka too.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2012 :  12:34:14  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Humans. Whenever, wherever, they stand above everyone else.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2012 :  13:11:37  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

Spoken like a true son of the Emperor of Man.
You should try warhammer 40k Dennis , this is pretty much the guiding principle of the Imperium.
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2012 :  13:14:45  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ungrateful son that I am , I voted for the fey.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2012 :  13:26:46  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I very rarely read sci-fi, but if I'd be inclined to someday, that's one of the settings I'd try.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2012 :  15:00:42  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I generally play humans or half-elves. If I could pick any race to be, I'd go for either a water genasi or a fey'ri (assuming alignment wasn't a concern). Being able to breath water or change shape is just too nifty.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2012 :  18:32:41  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am torn between halflings and dwarves. Though lately I have found myself playing half-elves (in Pathfinder).

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2012 :  19:50:38  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Giants/Ogres.

I love things giantish. I've always wanted to see a Giant Kingdom living and breathing as part of a "normal" network of cultures and societies. Giants are usually so rare, or pushed to the edges of civilization.

I think the trouble with giants is that they are often "best suited" to a particular region or climate. To my mind, I think a race of advanced Ogres (much like the Irda or Nzunta of Krynn) would be great. Towering and powerful beings, perhaps fewer in number, but essentially the ruling caste.

I had awesome fun playing a Half-Ogre once. I also liked the giant-blood feat from 3.x as well. One of the reasons one of my wizards was nearly seven feet tall...

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2012 :  21:34:31  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a strong connection to the mystery of sylvan elves. I've always been intrigued in their way to blend into the locales they protect, and respect the harsh choices they make when doing so. They aren't afraid to make enemies and take alliances seriously. I feel of the elves, green elves are the most true to their nature.

Fey magic of enchantment and misdirection can inspire dread or awe with ease. So erratic fey casters are another favorite of mine. Bladesong, high magic and mythals are magic of deep complexity yet feel right at home in Faeruns sword and sorcery setting.

But I don't avoid enjoying to play other races. They all have so much to enjoy about them it usually doesn't matter to me if races are restricted or banned at a table.

I enjoy playing humans because of the familiarity, the breath of options and flexibility.

I like dwarves when their honorable and openhearted. I like gnomes when their evil or genius, or both.

I prefer D&D's though halflings over Tolkiens hobbits, in most novel depictions their selfconfidence and bravado delights me.

Half-orcs are fun when determined and cunning. Half elves are cool when radically inventive.

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2012 :  21:35:27  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
NYC marathon

You left off Firbolgs, so I had to vote 'other'.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 24 Oct 2012 21:36:41
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2012 :  21:37:53  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

NYC marathon

You left off Firbolgs, so I had to vote 'other'.

Yup...Giants...

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2012 :  21:45:19  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I want to see more giant love in 5e - I am thinking maybe bring Rich Baker on for some of that. He had some interesting ideas back in the Birthright campaign (and the 4e take on Fomorians seems to have been taken from there).

I also love dwarves, and feel rather strongly the two are connected (in mythology, dwarves were born from the corpse of the first giant Ymir). Similar cultures, racial animosity (which usually means a personal connection), identical magic (rune-casting), etc... there is something there they really need to explore.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Tarlyn
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2012 :  00:13:19  Show Profile Send Tarlyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It was a toss up between human and fey, I went with fey because it covered more potential race options that I liked. Although, if you include all the various half-humans in human, human wins.

Tarlyn Embersun
Go to Top of Page

Entromancer
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2012 :  00:26:10  Show Profile Send Entromancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Other--Dragonborn. Next up would be genasi, then orcs.

"...the will is everything. The will to act."--Ra's Al Ghul

"Suffering builds character."--Talia Al Ghul
Go to Top of Page

Euranna
Learned Scribe

USA
219 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2012 :  00:56:51  Show Profile Send Euranna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
First off..I must be tired because my brain really did not process "I want to see more giant love in 5e" properly. o_O
I had a hard time picking one race. I love elves because of their link to magic (and the Weave in the Realms). They can awaken my imagination. :)
I love dwarves because they are really very honorable, and have a depth and conviction to them is hard to match.
I'd pick dragons because, well, they are dragons. Duh. :D
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2012 :  02:31:25  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
dwarves hands down. followed by drow and goblinkin. :)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2012 :  04:06:04  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Entromancer

Other--Dragonborn. Next up would be genasi, then orcs.

Which dragonborn?

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

GRYPHON
Senior Scribe

USA
527 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2012 :  14:45:37  Show Profile Send GRYPHON a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The fey...
Go to Top of Page

Jakuta Khan
Senior Scribe

496 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2012 :  19:35:09  Show Profile Send Jakuta Khan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Goblinkin, clearly, especially Hobgoblin!!
Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2012 :  20:38:54  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have chosen dwarf, for the facked that I find the race very cool. But in terms of player race when we play D&D, I like humans the most!
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2012 :  22:36:23  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*mustering a pseudo-Chicagoan accent*

Da . . . dwarves!

(Imagine an entire sports team of stout folk, but instead of stringy hair protruding out past their colorful helmets, it's long, flowing beards!)

quote:

Except whenever a bearded bloke takes one out at the knees and jumps up atop his back. King of the mountain!

quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I also love dwarves, and feel rather strongly the two are connected (in mythology, dwarves were born from the corpse of the first giant Ymir). Similar cultures, racial animosity (which usually means a personal connection), identical magic (rune-casting), etc... there is something there they really need to explore.

That's kinda cool. Long, distant cousins or something. Each resenting the other for representing what one is not and cannot ever do and be: jealousy? Maybe some sort of racial feud descended from a past family one: Hatfield-McCoys on steroids?

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2012 :  23:17:16  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BEAST

quote:

Except whenever a bearded bloke takes one out at the knees and jumps up atop his back. King of the mountain!
He'd have more luck plucking the moon than doing that... because before he could even manage to step a few yards close, the human wizard's mere stare would set his sorry beard on fire and shrink him to sorrier, way shorter height!

Go to Top of Page

Blue
Acolyte

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2012 :  01:37:10  Show Profile Send Blue a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't vote in this. I just cannot choose. :)
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2012 :  05:08:22  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

He'd have more luck plucking the moon than doing that... because before he could even manage to step a few yards close, the human wizard's

Whoah, whoah, whoah! Nobody said nothin' about no stinkin' wizards! Where did the wizards come from?

This was just s'posed to be about races.

Although, I'll rely on that vaguely-defined, rarely-depicted, but still-quite-canonical dwarven immense resistance to magicks, here.

And if that doesn't work, maybe I could scrounge up the "Wubba-wubba" . . .

quote:
mere stare would set his sorry beard on fire and shrink him to sorrier, way shorter height!

What, you say that like it's s'posed to be a bad thing! Stout folk don't view proximity to the ground as a negative, silly human.

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000