Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Think Bob will eve have Drizzt return...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Half elven
Acolyte

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2010 :  20:15:01  Show Profile  Visit Half elven's Homepage Send Half elven a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
to the underdark?

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2010 :  20:35:09  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why would Drizzt even want to go there?

He has no home... no family... there. It would be pointless.

Unless there is some sort of revolution and he went to help, but I think all of the newer lore precludes the viability of such an event.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Thauramarth
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
729 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2010 :  20:51:54  Show Profile Send Thauramarth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Why would Drizzt even want to go there?

He has no home... no family... there. It would be pointless.

Well... chances are that he's got family there. Which, in the case of a renegade drow is a good reason to stay the hell away from there
Go to Top of Page

Gambit
Learned Scribe

110 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2010 :  22:00:34  Show Profile Send Gambit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I always though a decent story involving Drizzt returning to the Underdark, or even Menzo, would involve him catching wind, or coming across a secret female cleric of Elistaree that was found out and in danger. Then because of some sense of duty he felt, or perhaps that kindred spirit longing, he goes back to help her out or save her. Its a rough idea, but it would be a good way to draw him back in and bring in lots of fun cameos (for us, not so much him) from his past....not that this story could actually take place now...

Edited by - Gambit on 19 Oct 2010 00:52:50
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2010 :  01:08:26  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To be honest, this is what would probably further disinterest me about future RAS fiction in the Realms. I've been long tired of Drizzt, the Companions, and the Underdark.

I'm of a mind that RAS should really start getting back to tackling other characters/locales in the Realms. That's what would get me reading his books once again.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2010 :  02:45:40  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
RAS did that to some extent in The Pirate King and The Ghost King. Brought Deudermont back into things in the former, and brought Jarlaxle and Cadderly back around in the latter. And after brother Dinin was turned into a drider and later killed, and Vierna also finally slain in the Legacy books, he no longer has ANY family left. I don't see any reason why he would ever want or need to go back. Looks like he may not even be staying in Mithril Hall after Cat and Regis's demises. Time will tell what happens.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Silverblade The Enchanter
Seeker

United Kingdom
61 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2010 :  13:11:43  Show Profile  Visit Silverblade The Enchanter's Homepage Send Silverblade The Enchanter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't want to spoil it...but any of you read Gauntylgrym?
Well...Jarlaxle has given him one damn good reason to go back, IMHO ;)

www.silverblades-suitcase.com
Spelljammer & Dark Sun art, and much more!
Go to Top of Page

Sith_Lord_Drizzt
Seeker

Canada
92 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2010 :  15:56:15  Show Profile  Visit Sith_Lord_Drizzt's Homepage Send Sith_Lord_Drizzt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Silverblade The Enchanter

I don't want to spoil it...but any of you read Gauntylgrym?
Well...Jarlaxle has given him one damn good reason to go back, IMHO ;)

I haven't read it yet...but now I'm VERY interested!

"Jarlaxle's grin disappeared as he turned his attention to Drizzt. He watched the fury of the drow unleashed. Jarlaxle had seen Drizzt in action many times before, but never like that".
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2010 :  17:05:32  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm, me too. I don't have a book store nearby, and the library here doesn't get any of his books. It may be a while before I get the chance to read it.

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Tren of Twilight Tower
Seeker

51 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2010 :  17:17:11  Show Profile  Visit Tren of Twilight Tower's Homepage Send Tren of Twilight Tower a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

To be honest, this is what would probably further disinterest me about future RAS fiction in the Realms. I've been long tired of Drizzt, the Companions, and the Underdark.

I'm of a mind that RAS should really start getting back to tackling other characters/locales in the Realms. That's what would get me reading his books once again.

I think that we agree on the matter.

At first, I loved the series, period. However, Salvatore lost me completely by making Drizzt, and not only him, invincible. I got impression that writer has a problem of letting his main character go - and this applies for main supporting characters too.

Otherwise, I love Salvatore's writing style and would like to continue reading his FR-related books.

Tren
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2010 :  17:22:43  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Odd that you ahould say that. He doesn't seem to have a problem letting them get killed or go off to live their own lives. wulfgar left, Cat and Regis are dead, and even Cadderly, that wizard chick from Mirabar(forgot her name) and Deudermont of the Sea Sprite have been killed. Drizzt has been lucky to have people around to save his butt when he was dying before. Now he no longer has that support network. I don't consider him invincible by any means- just very good at what he does, and with friends who will do anything they can to keep from losing him. And it has cost more than a few of them their own lives.... I'm curious to see what Jarlaxle will offer him as a friend, and what reason he might give him for going back.

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Tren of Twilight Tower
Seeker

51 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2010 :  18:49:52  Show Profile  Visit Tren of Twilight Tower's Homepage Send Tren of Twilight Tower a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

Odd that you ahould say that. He doesn't seem to have a problem letting them get killed or go off to live their own lives. wulfgar left, Cat and Regis are dead, and even Cadderly, that wizard chick from Mirabar(forgot her name) and Deudermont of the Sea Sprite have been killed. Drizzt has been lucky to have people around to save his butt when he was dying before. Now he no longer has that support network. I don't consider him invincible by any means- just very good at what he does, and with friends who will do anything they can to keep from losing him. And it has cost more than a few of them their own lives.... I'm curious to see what Jarlaxle will offer him as a friend, and what reason he might give him for going back.

With all due respect to your arguments, Alystra, I do not want to count how many novels it took for Catti and Regis to die.

Drizzt grew to be a bit too good and too lucky for my liking. Too much of sugar in a cake will make that cake as good as anything else that goes in garbage bin...

Just my 65 cents,
Tren
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2010 :  20:11:47  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bah, potatoes, potahtoes . . .

I don't understand how Drizzt is seen as being "too good". He's just good. He tries very hard to be. And I think that he is compensating--maybe even overcompensating--because he remembers how, despite all his morals, he still let himself get caught up in the moment and almost killed that little elf girl Ellifain in Homeland. And he remembers how he went native when he depended on his Hunter mode for so long during his self-imposed exile after leaving Menzo, and had a hard time turning it off. He knows that he can go over to that dark side, because he almost did. I liken him to Dr. Jekyll, insistent upon keeping Mr. Hyde locked up in a bottle. His closest friends have been that lock.

And now they are all gone.

Has his pontification on the right thing to do annoyed me from time to time? Of course. Has his hand-wringing over his own supposed guilt from tragic events that occurred around him driven me nuts? Hells yeah!

But I'm more annoyed by constant calls for anti-heroes or flagrantly twisted protagonists, as if a forced effort to break the heroic mold somehow constitutes a more interesting character. That's just different, but not necessarily better. It's almost glorification of evil.

Anyhoo, as to the OP, RAS did once nebulously make reference to the idea of Drizzt possibly, hypothetically, returning to Menzo one day and attempting to lead a revolution. In the interview materials in the hardcover "The Legend of Drizzt" re-release of Exile, I believe, Bob was talking about how Drizzt has developed as a character, and how he has not been stagnant, though his core nature has remained steadfast. Bob was just throwing this up as one direction where Drizzt could potentially head, some day.

And given the widespread unrest and disgruntlement displayed against female rule in "WOTSQ", it's not a completely farfetched idea.

I've asked other Drizzt fans over at the RAS Forums if they thought Drizzt was really all that heroic for leaving Menzo. Wasn't that basically just running away? Wouldn't standing and fighting the system be more heroic? Of course, that could easily be equated to an Alamo or "Custer's Last Stand" sort of thing. But what is actually a more heroic way to deal with the evil of Menzo?

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">

Edited by - BEAST on 19 Oct 2010 20:12:42
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2010 :  20:36:19  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He killed Cadderly off, and then brought him back in a vomit-inducing manner.

...via Drizzt.

The ending of the Cleric Quintet made it very moving - now that I think about it I think I may have even 'teared-up' for that one as well. Cadderly was giving his own life to rebuild the cathedral (and therefore metaphorically Deneir's church). When I recently re-read it I was like *meh* - the ending had become meaningless.

He appears later in a Drizzt story, and basically the whole sacrifice-thing was washed away with a 'he got better'.

Just awful. What a way to retro-actively ruin a series. RAS is so big-headed that he couldn't bring himself to use anyone else's priest for the Drizzt storyline (despite there being a couple of dozen worthy candidates in canon). Heaven forbid he give anyone else credit - he'd rather sabotage one of his own previous works then do that.

I loved Cadderly and Danica when I read the cleric Quintet (despite the annoyingly silly dwarves), but now just thinking about them turns my stomach.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 19 Oct 2010 20:38:57
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2010 :  20:43:45  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

To be fair, Regis and Cat are "dead", but they are still sorta alive, in a pocket universe....where it will be awfully handy to retrieve them later....either as a reward for Drizzt or just for a feel good ending.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

froglegg
Learned Scribe

317 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2010 :  22:43:11  Show Profile Send froglegg a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Drizzt lives because he is a money maker and thats it! The rest just get in the way.

John

Long live Alias and Dragonbait! Kate Novak and Jeff Grubb the Realms need you more then ever!

On my word as a sage nothing within these pages is false, but not all of it may prove to be true. - Elminster of Shadowdale

The Old Grey Box gets better with age!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2010 :  23:11:51  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In his defense, he DID try to stop writing Drizzt novels.

They threatened to have another author write a Drizzt novel, and knowing RAS as they obviously did, he relented and and started pumping them out again. They used the man's ego against him - talk about pushing the right buttons.

Since that time, I don't think he is really trying anymore, and maybe is even purposely (perhaps subconsciously) 'shlocking things up' just to kill-off Drizzt's fanbase. Drizzt has literally become the albatross around that man's neck.

Or it could just be that my tastes have matured and I am noticing more of the silliness underlying his work ("Bwa ha ha! I'm a dwarf who likes to rhyme, and RAS will be selling these books till the end if time!"). The bizarre plot-turn (NOT twist) in the Sellswords series just left me shaking my head - he rushed the ending (leaving me with a very unfulfilled feeling in my gut), and then moved the characters across Faerun to start a completely unrelated story.

Which makes me think he did that on purpose, so that he could write the story he really wanted to write, and not the one THEY wanted him to write. At least, that's how it felt.

And once again, I feel it bears repeating: RAS is the ONLY FR author who I have read ALL of his FR books - I can't even say that about Ed or Elaine.

So go figure.

Either way, I really wish they would allow him to branch out and give Drizzt a rest. Don't write Drizzt novels just because there is money in them - write stories you care about... and if one happens to be about Drizzt, then that's fine too. And in this vein, I would lump Artemis novels in with Drizzt (although Jarlaxle still has potential - I'd LOVE a prequel about him).

Edited by - Markustay on 19 Oct 2010 23:14:34
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2010 :  01:42:08  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah! MT, I think you've hit it close to the head there. I would be the first to jump on a Jarlaxle prequel. And as far as killing Cadderly off, he is now QUITE "dead" in the sense that he's stuck for eternity guarding that darn dracolich. I really don't see him coming back from that. What's more, there was a very tearful moment at the end of that last book where Drizzt KNEW that Cat and Regis were gone for good. I don't see any wa he could realistically rach them, much less bring them back. Does it really matter how long it took? There were still stories to tell with both of them. PErsonally, I liked seeing Cat grow from more than just the requisite female character, and I would have like to see more on how she was growing as a wizard, though for the life of me, I can't figure out why she chose that particular path, other than respect for Alustriel. I would have liked to see that part told better, to be honest. But Drizzt really IS good at what he does. How else could he have survived alone in the Underdark for ten years? For that matter, he was actually acknowledged by just about everyone in Menzo as the BEST fighter there, even better than Zaknafein, who was counted the best Weapon Master. It's no wonder he has fared so well. Yes, he gets lucky (I wonder if that comment from that one drw priestes about Lolth favoring him might be true?) but he still takes his lumps, and has only survived this long because of Cat's intervention. TWICE she has given him potions to save his life when he was dying- in Menzo after he was tortured, and then when he and Ellifein "killed" each other. So, if anything, Cattie-Brie is the reason he is still around. No wonder he loved her so much. RAS seems to be leading things up to a new and harder Drizzt, with less "emo" stuff.

Athrogate seems like an interesting- if rather quirky- character to me. Why he sticks around with Jarlaxle is anybody's guess. But as annoying as he can be, he sort of grew on me. Just like Pikel. There are still plenty of characters left in the toy-box. Personally, if they "used his ego against him", I really cannot say I blame the man. Unfortunately, when other writers get their hands on a pre-existing character, they tend to mangle them badly, or simply do not present them as well as the creator does. They don't know all the stuff that the original creator does abut that character, like what's his favorite food or color, does he have any hobbies, or any of a hundred other details that never make it into print, but are still important to the character. It's the same reason Mike Mignola will not give up rights to Hellboy- he doesn't want to see his character ruined by some studio writer's idea of what he should be. RAS is probably just as protective of his "baby". I would be, too. If you've put that much creative effort into something, and someone threatens to give it to someone else if you don't keep writing (even if you've basically told all the tales you wanted to) which would YOU choose?

I'm not saying Drizzt is still as great as when he started. he has seemed a bit more bland in the last few books- but he has stayed true to character, and that is a rare thing.

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Lady Fellshot
Senior Scribe

USA
379 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2010 :  01:46:00  Show Profile  Visit Lady Fellshot's Homepage Send Lady Fellshot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
If you've put that much creative effort into something, and someone threatens to give it to someone else if you don't keep writing (even if you've basically told all the tales you wanted to) which would YOU choose?

I thought the standard practice was to "kill your darlings" so that it can't happen as easily. There's always an "option C."

Rants and reviews that interest no one may be found here.
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2010 :  02:01:51  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@ Lady Fellshot: That really only works if you're not doing shared-world novel series or comic books. For either of those, to continue to be successful, it's more prudent to keep them alive. Kinda hard to write a comic story about a hero who is dead... Heroes like Drizzt are pretty much the same.

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Lady Fellshot
Senior Scribe

USA
379 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2010 :  04:01:58  Show Profile  Visit Lady Fellshot's Homepage Send Lady Fellshot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Shush you, there's still an option C.

Besides, who says the afterlife has to spent sitting under a celestial tree enjoying the shade?

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2010 :  04:08:23  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So what IS option C? And I'm not sure what the afterlife has to do with anything. Unless you were referring to Cadderly's task. But he kinda got shafted into that one, IMO. Stuck doing containment on a nasty all-powerful undead? That's not an afterlife- that's a sentence... As for Cat and Regis, they seemed pretty happy in their little afterlife or whatever.

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2010 :  04:55:50  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And you think if he killed Drizzt, they'd allow him to stay dead? Our poor little Emo Drow is stuck in the same hell RAS is.

I think killing him and bringing him back in some silly manner (Superman, anyone?) would be so anti-climactic, and so much worse then a never-ending series of Drow novels until the end of time.

Perhaps this is why RAS is grooming his son as an author? I saw his kid's novel on the shelf at the discount bookstore when I was there last week. Hope he's better then Tolkien's son - talent is not necessarily hereditary.

On the bright side, Drow don't live as long as other Elves - he's got to die of old age sometime. Oh... wait... forgot what he did with Artemis. 'Shade-Drizzt'... in 3D.

Go to Top of Page

Lady Fellshot
Senior Scribe

USA
379 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2010 :  05:59:39  Show Profile  Visit Lady Fellshot's Homepage Send Lady Fellshot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sad but true, the money people will not let him die. They haven't milked the drow enough, in spite of him having no udder.

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2010 :  06:44:39  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Would he stay dead? Dunno. Guess it depends on how it happens. Wulfgar and Bruenor were both thought dead at one time, but there fates were left open enough that it was never proven that they had died. Which left plenty of wiggle room to bring them back. he Superman analogy isn't too far off, either. Faerun is a shared world, much like the Marvel and DC universes are these days. Sooner or later, other writers are going to pick up the torches of certain characters, and as long as they can at least half-way believably do so, they will continue the stories of those characters. Which brings me to...

I've read the first two of Gino's books, and guess what? They were pretty good! Yes, Drizzt is in them to a degree, but they center on a young boy with a strange connection to an artifact called the Stone of Tymora. They also happen mostly on the Sea Sprite, (before Deuder's death, obviously) and in or around Calimshan and various other Sword Coast locales. I understand that a lot of people have grown a little bored with Drizzt, but how is it any different than- say- characters in Xanth? Piers Anthony has written well over thirty novels on the same small group of characters (with additions to the extended family and friends) over the years. Drizzt, being an elf is quite naturally going to be around for a long time, especially considering how young he still is. (I'm referring to just after the Spellplauge, not the fact that he's still around 100 years later.) Call it milking if you want, but he's a well-loved character, which means that as long as fans want to see more of him, there will BE more of him.

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2010 :  20:48:46  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

In his defense, he DID try to stop writing Drizzt novels.

They threatened to have another author write a Drizzt novel, and knowing RAS as they obviously did, he relented and and started pumping them out again. They used the man's ego against him - talk about pushing the right buttons.

You're confusing some of the details, MT.

I don't know if Bob exactly tried to stop writing about Drizzt and the Companions after "The Dark Elf Trilogy", but he was certainly happy to try another group of characters with "The Cleric Quintet". Supposedly fan uproar caused TSR and Bob to pick up the Drizzt stories once again during the middle of all that, and thus was "Legacy of the Drow" born.

I've never heard that Bob was done with the tale at the end of the novel Siege of Darkness, either. Wulf was apparently dead, and Drizzt and Cat were leaving Mithral Hall for some maritime adventure, but I've never read that Bob tried to end it all, right there.

What I have heard is that TSR wanted Wulf to come back, and in addition, they wanted Bob to up his novel and short story count to boot. Drizzt's bestseller status and profits apparently were needed to bail them out of their financial troubles, and I guess they thought Wulf the barbarian was an important part of the formula for success.

Bob wasn't happy with this. He has said that he wasn't sure what he wanted to do with Wulf, or if the guy was even really dead, or just abducted. But Bob was really uncomfortable with TSR pressuring him to churn out more stories even faster than before. (If you don't like the Drizzt books that we have, today, just imagine if a disgruntled Bob had been forced to put one out every nine months, plus multiple short stories each year, or whatever.)

Then TSR went a step beyond merely threatening to bring in another author: they actually published a Drizzt short story by another author ("The Fires of Narbondel", in Realms of the Underdark, complete with Matron Malice serving tea and crumpets to a stinking goblin, and Zaknafein scaling and descending the pillar Narbondel twice {that's four trips} in the space of about 10-15 minutes, with time to spare to find an historical artifact); and had another author include a Drizzt chapter in a novel (Once Around the Realms, with an anachronistically morose Drizzt inexplicably out on some ship without any of his Companions where he just so happened to be present to save the impostor Volo from drowning). Neither was very good; the latter was even subsequently dubbed "Apocrypha" by WOTC, it was so bad. So when TSR threatened to contract one of those same authors to write a complete Drizzt novel (The Shores of Dusk), and even posted ads for it in the magazines, it clearly wasn't an idle threat.

And, actually, Bob didn't just start pumping out Drizzt novels again when TSR pulled all this. He wrote Passage to Dawn, which undid a bunch of stuff and stuck all the Companions back in Icewind Dale, completely the heck away from Mithral Hall and Silverymoon and everything else, effectively resetting the characters back to the beginning, and fulfilling his existing contract.

Then he started writing his non-Realms "DemonWars" series for DelRey.

Meanwhile, the game designers had a heyday writing about the goings-on with the Companions (namely Bruenor) during Bob's absence, completely ignoring/disregarding Passage to Dawn. So other people were still writing new "Drizzt" stories/lore/etc. behind the man's back.

It was only years later that WOTC took over from TSR and coaxed Bob (and Drizzt) back into the fold, with The Silent Blade. I guess you could say that he's been pumping them out since then.

But it was a headache reconciling where he'd left off with the Companions in Passage to Dawn and what all the game designers had done with the characters afterwards, as evidenced by past confusion over all the Silver Marches and Obould lore. (And I think I've just about got all that done, no thanks to anybody else around here at the 'Keep. )

There was more involved here than just ego, MT. There were strongarm tactics, facilitated interlopers, and disregard for the author's own personal vision for the characters.

I'm sure that's all Bob's and Drizzt's fault, though.

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2010 :  23:10:29  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No, in the grand scheme of things, RAS is 'the lesser of two evils'.

And that wasn't a fake Volo - that was the real Volo trying to prove he was the real Volo, and all the lore in that book (despite how truly bad it is) is reconcilable.

Either way, 'the no idle threat' thing is correct - I know another novel was contracted. I never read Realms of the Underdark, but if it was as bad as you imply I'm glad I didn't (I find the Underdark rather boring - I have more then enough to keep my players busy on the surface). was the author of the short story the same as the one contracted for the novel?

I still think he should have left Cadderly dead, but whatever. He's still a great writer and I still continue to read him.

And I stopped reading Xanth novels after Centaur Isle, and stopped reading Thieves World novels when they started generating multiple (and conflicting) spin-offs that took place FAR from sanctuary. I've also decided I'm done with the Sword of Boredom... err... Truth. And if the next WoT novel wasn't the last I probably would quit that as well.

I can't stand when stories are drawn-out long after the franchise has atrophied. No more Matrix - let characters live 'happily ever after' and move on to a new group of adventurers. Even Shrek has grown stale.

So I guess what I'm saying is that if Drizzt didn't live in the Realms, I'd be hard-pressed to convince myself to continue reading about him (despite the quality of Bob's writing).

The Realms are MASSIVE, and their story is far from complete. There are a thousand thousand stories still to be told just in the 1e-3e era, and we can add to that about 30,000+ years of history and a century of 'future' to fill-in. We don't need to keep hearing about the same exact groups of characters over and over again (and that's directed at all the authors and their 'pets').

Case in point - I am currently enjoying Rich Baker's Blades of the Moonsea. New cast of characters in a fresh locale never before high-lighted in a Realms tale. If he writes 20 more in this area about these people I may grow tired of it, but right now this is exactly the kinds of stories the Realms needs.

And please note it takes place in the 4e era... and I don't mind at all.

Don't make a big deal about re-booting the Realms, and then hand us a slew of novels about old characters. It makes you look like you are doing nothing but shoveling rhetoric at the fans. Give us new heroes for the new realms, or just go back to the old Realms - you can't have it both ways.

Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2010 :  23:38:18  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Xanth, Sword of Truth or WoT, comparing that I can see how any 4e novel, or next fifty Drizzt novels, would be a better choice
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2010 :  01:08:44  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, the short story in RotU was RAS. It was a sort or pre-prequel from Drizzt's early years (still a kid). Zak did indeed ascend and descend Narbondel- on the INSIDE. Apparently, the clock-pillar serves as a tomb for the first Matron of Menzo. The funny thing about that particular story is that Drizzy was barely even in it. It is mostly about Zaknafein retrieving an ancient dagger from the tomb, then getting himself in hot water with Malice when he loses it again, and Drizzt seems to save the day- inadvertently- when he "finds" it via a scrying bowl in the family vault. It was a sort of foreshadow of some of the stuff mentioned in the Hunter's Blade books about him having Lolth's favor.

I'm kinda sorry that he's had to put up with so much crap from both TSR and WotC over the years. I'm seriously considering whether I want to read the new book, simply because I was so unhappy with the last one. And never let it be said htat Bob does not know how to kill of a character permanently. He did so in rather spectacular fashion in Vector Prime- where he killed off Chewbacca, and supposedly got tons of hate mail and even a few death threats for it! Yikes. Maybe he's a little afraid of the same happening with Drizzt? I might be, in his shoes....

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2010 :  01:24:08  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Xanth rocked when I was 16 - I ran my whole GH campaign based off of those books (my kingdom for a pun!)

SoT was a great novel... it went downhill from there. Some of the things in the first few books I have adapted to my Realms game (C'mon.... Mord Sith!)

Wheel of time also started out awesome, but Jorden tried to run in a hundred directions at once, which left the reader thoroughly confused by 6th or 7th book. He should have completed the main storyline, and then worked on side-stories of other characters within his well-developed world. You can serve-up gourmet food, but if you try to lay it all out at once you wind up with the buffet at Sizzler.

Eatable... but not so hot.

Some of his concepts were great, but you only caught glimpses of them as the fifty or so separate stories took over chapter after chapter. He needed to learn restraint - sometimes less is more.

On the other hand, I don't think I have ever not walked away with at least one idea from something I read or watched, no matter how bad. I saw the Spider Queen episode of Billy and Mandy a little while ago (with my kids), and as stupid as it was I found it kinda cool that she was an amazing singer. Imagine a hideous spider demon, that sings like an angel. I would definitely use that.

Proving there is no such thing as 'bad lore' - a grain of goodness can be distilled from anything.

Edited by - Markustay on 21 Oct 2010 01:24:55
Go to Top of Page

Merrith
Learned Scribe

135 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2010 :  01:36:25  Show Profile  Visit Merrith's Homepage Send Merrith a Private Message  Reply with Quote
MT, you really should go get Gauntlgrym. I've loved the series since I started reading it but I'll also be the first to admit it felt tired and stale with only a few brighter spots in Orc King, Pirate King, and Ghost King. I loved the novels focusing on Jarlaxle and Entreri so much it was jarring to go back to "same old same old". In a way those books had to be written to eventually get it over the hump and into new territory...and Gauntlgrym both hints at and fully brings Drizzt into new territory. Even Athrogate has grown on me and a lot of it has to do with the depth the character has been given. Jarlaxle himself while always having so many facets to his personality and motives reveals even more of himself and his relationship to Drizzt in the new book. Certain new (heh and "sorta" new) characters also add a lot to the book. This was the one that got me interested in the character again, because he's starting to find he has darker tendencies that his losses are bringing to the fore.

Believe me I was tired of the Companions of the Hall by the end of Ghost King, but Gauntlgrym has restored my faith that his story will actually move on to something different and at this point more interesting.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000