Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Elven nobility and heraldry
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Aaron L
Acolyte

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2006 :  04:56:38  Show Profile  Visit Aaron L's Homepage Send Aaron L a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Have there been any elven noble titles beyond Coronal revealed? I was wondering what the equivalent to, say, knights, barons, dukes, etc, would be in elven realms, modern or ancient. Additionally, are there any formal rules to elven heraldry? The established insignia of various elven houses (from Cormanthyr:EoE and such) dont seem to follow much of a standard. And how do the Heralds handle elven titles and arms> Do trhey recognize them?

I was going with the idea that the Heralds (since they were once Harpers) recognized elven arms in a sort of "grandfather clause" arrangement, exempting them from standard rules.

I hope this isnt a silly question :) I have a character who is descended from a noble house of Shantel Orthreier, his family having declined in importance over the millenia, and just would like any background in this area.

"Sustenance is not frivolous."

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2006 :  05:11:31  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Im pretty sure theres some of this stuff in the various Myth Drannor 2ed Books

I remember the name for an Elven Knight is given in LEOF (Its awarded to a Halfling who is eventually bumped off by one of he Elven houses)

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Aaron L
Acolyte

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2006 :  05:13:43  Show Profile  Visit Aaron L's Homepage Send Aaron L a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That would be Armathor, I'm just not sure if thats a generic term for knight or specific to Myth Drannor.

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6648 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2006 :  06:36:59  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed told Eric and I once that the term "laranlor" (female: "laranla") is used for an elven ruler of a realm that isn't big enough to warrant the use of the term "coronal". I'm thinking that Iliphar Nelnueve, the ruler of "Cormyr" (before it was Cormyr) would have been a laranlor.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Aaron L
Acolyte

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2006 :  06:39:21  Show Profile  Visit Aaron L's Homepage Send Aaron L a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nifty, thanks!

As an asie, my characters name is Rhaethiir Iliphar Vytheryl N'Vyn. Named (in part) after that very same Iliphar :)

Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2010 :  20:06:41  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Scroll necromancy xD

I like to think that Iliphar had a dragon as his "insignia" after the Feint of Honor, and that is why modern-day Cormyr has it too.
And yeah, he does not qualify for a coronal, he most probably was a laranlor.
Speaking of which, I'm looking for info on him.

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000