Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 A Candlekeep version of FR?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2009 :  14:47:03  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Azkyroth

Apologies if I'm late replying, but...

I confess I'm entirely unable to comprehend the mindset of someone who would regard the publication of non-commercial fan-created alternatives to their subsequent modifications of a setting - let alone any fan sites at all - as any kind of a threat. Am I to understand that such people really exist?

Indeed. I don't know that WotC has any people like that, but I do know of other authors who are like that. There are a couple of notable non-shared world authors that I've heard won't allow any fansites, regardless of the content.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 15 Feb 2009 14:47:56
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2009 :  19:14:48  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The very last thing any 'creative' person wants is for others to come along and say "they should of done this" or it would have been better if an outcome was "done differntly"...

And then have lots and lots of people on the web agreee that the 'amateur' version is 'pretty cool'.

Any author/designer who is not filled with 'self-doubt' - like Ed for instance, or Elaine - could care less, because they know that THEIR MATERIAL is great, and no 'fan-material' is EVER going to one-up them.

While a VERY clever fan may come out with something just as good, they will never be 'trumped' - its not a matter of 'ego', but rather self-confidence.

The only time an author would stoop to attacking fan-sites is if they considered them a REAL threat... and in that case, we have to ask ourselves why are those sites 'a threat'.

Since its very doubtful it's because of an amazing amount of quality on the fansite (in which case the person writing said material should be a professional and "doing their own thing"), we have to assume that the author feels his own material is sub-par (weather that is true or not is another story).

This doesn't really apply as much to game-setting based fansites, because they help generate interest in the IP, and in WotC's case, they've even taken some of the more talented fans under their wing (like Brian).

On the other hand, if I was J.K. Rowling, I would go after all of those sites that allow more 'questionable' fan-fic (like those atrocious stories about Snape and Hermione <barf>). Sometimes its not a matter of being 'one-upped' by fans, but rather just a matter of good-taste.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 15 Feb 2009 19:16:11
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2009 :  21:44:31  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think it's about ego or confidence -- no matter how much fan-made stuff is out there, it's only the original author(s) that gets paid and considered official. I know that that one fact right there would lead me to ignore most fan-made stuff, if I was a writer. Hell, I'm not a paid writer, and I still don't pay much attention to fan-made stuff.

Go to Top of Page

Nerfed2Hell
Senior Scribe

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2009 :  21:45:46  Show Profile  Visit Nerfed2Hell's Homepage Send Nerfed2Hell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

The very last thing any 'creative' person wants is for others to come along and say "they should of done this" or it would have been better if an outcome was "done differntly"...

And then have lots and lots of people on the web agreee that the 'amateur' version is 'pretty cool'.

Any author/designer who is not filled with 'self-doubt' - like Ed for instance, or Elaine - could care less, because they know that THEIR MATERIAL is great, and no 'fan-material' is EVER going to one-up them.

While a VERY clever fan may come out with something just as good, they will never be 'trumped' - its not a matter of 'ego', but rather self-confidence.

While I can't and certainly wouldn't speak for the man himself, I've never gotten the impression from Ed Greenwood's interviews (and general behavior with fans at cons, answering questions here at Candlekeep, and such) that he has that air of confidence that he knows his material is great that he isn't concerned that fan-material would one-up him.

The take I get is that he loves the Realms he's created and shares as much of it as he can with everyone out of that love. And when someone adds their own lore to the Realms, if it makes the Realms a better place, then it would only make him happier about what he put out there that inspired someone to come up with something as good. No ego, as you say, just love for the characters and places he's created.

Some people are like a slinky... not good for much, but when you push them down the stairs, it makes you smile.
Go to Top of Page

StarBog
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
152 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2009 :  12:01:42  Show Profile  Visit StarBog's Homepage Send StarBog a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I don't think it's about ego or confidence -- no matter how much fan-made stuff is out there, it's only the original author(s) that gets paid and considered official. I know that that one fact right there would lead me to ignore most fan-made stuff, if I was a writer. Hell, I'm not a paid writer, and I still don't pay much attention to fan-made stuff.

It probably comes from the Marion Zimmer Bradley incident:

http://www.fanhistory.com/wiki/Marion_Zimmer_Bradley

For years I was on the Raymond E Feist mailing list and Feist himself was quite clear, he could not permit any fanfiction, nor could he actually read any ideas, because of the same reasons as Zimmer Bradley.

Go to Top of Page

Portella
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
247 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2009 :  13:08:13  Show Profile  Visit Portella's Homepage Send Portella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by StarBog

quote:

For years I was on the Raymond E Feist mailing list and Feist himself was quite clear, he could not permit any fanfiction, nor could he actually read any ideas, because of the same reasons as Zimmer Bradley.

it is because if they read or what ever and then publish a book or anything that seems that it came from the fan site or fan email etc they could be liable to a law suit.

All novel writers are told by their publishers not to accept or read any stories or fan made stuff.

Purple you say?!

Go to Top of Page

Portella
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
247 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2009 :  13:25:48  Show Profile  Visit Portella's Homepage Send Portella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
any how, back to the topic, I would wait until the fan policy is released. however ... we are all scribes, we talk about the realms, we about what has happen and what could happen. talking about what would have happen if cyric and shar had failed their attempt to murder mystra or some other what if scenarios is perfectly alright. nothing stops you from posting your campaign journal, with the accounts of your adventure on your world where thing may or may not have happen.

Purple you say?!

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2009 :  15:47:34  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by StarBog

quote:

You know, despite Laura talking pretty much constantly about the Fan History site in her blog, that's the first time I've looked at it!

I can understand a particular author not wanting to look at someone else's ideas... I think disallowing all fanfiction is going overboard, though.

It wasn't Feist or MZB I was thinking of, though.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 16 Feb 2009 15:48:15
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000