Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 elven festivals
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Herkles
Seeker

82 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2009 :  20:32:42  Show Profile  Visit Herkles's Homepage Send Herkles a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
hello, I am once again asking for some lore help. I am wondering about what type of festivals do the elves normally have? I also want to know what do they do in these festivals. I know that the sun elves are solemn and serious while the moon elves are often light hearted in their rituals, yet I would like to know what do they do in diffrent festivals? Also what about if they lived in a town where there was no one subrace predominate, being in general an equal balance of the various subraces of elves?

Thank you for the assistance you could provide.

Lady Fellshot
Senior Scribe

USA
379 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2009 :  21:40:13  Show Profile  Visit Lady Fellshot's Homepage Send Lady Fellshot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I would suppose that there would definitely be a celebration of some sort for for winter solstice, summer solstice, spring equinox and autumn equinox. I can't remember what they were called though and my books are not exactly handy at the moment.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2009 :  23:00:46  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The entries for the elven deities in Demihuman Deities have a few tidbits on the various rituals/festivals celebrated. And Ed's mentioned some details on a few others in his "So Saith Ed" replies too.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 08 Feb 2009 23:02:42
Go to Top of Page

Herkles
Seeker

82 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2009 :  23:05:55  Show Profile  Visit Herkles's Homepage Send Herkles a Private Message  Reply with Quote
sage, can you tell me when he mentioned it? it is quite alot of information in that article, so I would like some help when it comes to it.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2009 :  23:16:33  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Herkles

sage, can you tell me when he mentioned it? it is quite alot of information in that article, so I would like some help when it comes to it.

I'll have to search through the archives myself. I will have to get back to you.

Go to Top of Page

Wrigs13
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
201 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2009 :  09:01:53  Show Profile  Visit Wrigs13's Homepage Send Wrigs13 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As I remember there is a whole chapter on this kind of thing in the Complete Elves Handboook 2nd AD&D.

Do not try to understand the 4th edition. Thats impossible. Instead...only try to realise the truth. There is no 4th edition.
Go to Top of Page

Herkles
Seeker

82 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2009 :  04:38:03  Show Profile  Visit Herkles's Homepage Send Herkles a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I haven't read though the complete book of elves, so I am not sure what it states on elven festivals. I will see if I can find a copy of it at my local gaming store if it is worth picking up.
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2009 :  04:47:21  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you got $5, I might recommend the PDF on Paizo.com: The Complete Book of Elves

I don't believe it's a full OCR scan (can do a search of the document), but it's still a pretty good price.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Wrigs13
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
201 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2009 :  09:11:24  Show Profile  Visit Wrigs13's Homepage Send Wrigs13 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am pretty sure there is a discussion of festivals in the Complete Book of Elves, but I know it covers their society and gives a good insight into how and why they do the things they do. Can't believe piazo had gone up to $5, I was getting pdfs before Christmas for $4. Scandalous! But still worth it if you are trying to build realistic elven societies.

Do not try to understand the 4th edition. Thats impossible. Instead...only try to realise the truth. There is no 4th edition.
Go to Top of Page

ErskineF
Learned Scribe

USA
330 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2009 :  17:00:33  Show Profile  Visit ErskineF's Homepage Send ErskineF a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I still have the book on my old Core Rules CD. Honestly, I don't think it's worth the $5 to get the little bit of info there. You could probably come up with better festivals on your own. They have the four mentioned by Lady Fellshot, plus one in early spring that is a celebration of their kinship with fey creatures.

--
Erskine Fincher
http://forgotten-realms.wandering-dwarf.com/index.php
Go to Top of Page

Herkles
Seeker

82 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2009 :  17:55:40  Show Profile  Visit Herkles's Homepage Send Herkles a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I see, I am still looking for information as to what the elves do durring their festivals. Would it be apporate for the elves to look at celtic festivals that were practiced in the pre-christian europe for ideas on elven festivals?
Go to Top of Page

ErskineF
Learned Scribe

USA
330 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2009 :  18:09:43  Show Profile  Visit ErskineF's Homepage Send ErskineF a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Again, there's not much detail, but here's what they have:

Winter Solstice -- Quiet meditation on the passage of time.
Fey Celebration -- Harmless pranks.
Vernal Equinox -- Dancing and singing. Marriages take place during this time.
Summer Solstice -- They celebrate the creation of the elves and the battle between Correllon and Gruumsh by killing lots of orcs. They cut themselves with stone knives and let the blood flow into the earth.
Autumnal Equinox -- Contemplate the spirits of their ancestors and the passage to the next life.

It's funny. Earlier in the book they talk about how the elves love making merry, but of the five holy days listed, three are pretty darned grim.

--
Erskine Fincher
http://forgotten-realms.wandering-dwarf.com/index.php
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2009 :  22:48:21  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I see, I am still looking for information as to what the elves do durring their festivals. Would it be apporate for the elves to look at celtic festivals that were practiced in the pre-christian europe for ideas on elven festivals?

So long as you aren't looking to tie them directly into the Realms, then I shouldn't see a problem.

If you're looking for further specific info however, you might want to pass a question or two about elven festivals in the Realms over to Ed in his "Questions for Ed Greenwood" scroll in the Chamber of Sages.

Go to Top of Page

Herkles
Seeker

82 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2009 :  16:41:45  Show Profile  Visit Herkles's Homepage Send Herkles a Private Message  Reply with Quote
on the topic of Elven festivals, what kind of festivals are there for Seheninia Moonbow?

but thanks sage, I will take a look through there,abit confusing but thanks, I shall see what ed has to say about them.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2009 :  23:26:06  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

on the topic of Elven festivals, what kind of festivals are there for Seheninia Moonbow?
Sehanine's entry in Demihuman Deities has some info on this. I won't re-post what's said, because there's several paragraphs, but I will note that all Moonbow-based rituals/holy days "are tied to the position of various heavenly bodies, particularly the phase of the moon and various types of eclipses."
quote:
but thanks sage, I will take a look through there,abit confusing but thanks, I shall see what ed has to say about them.
If you've any problems, let me know. Plus, don't forget to ask Ed any new questions you may have about this particular topic, in his scroll that I indicated above.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000