Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 RPG News & Releases
 Wizards Organizational Alignment
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2008 :  03:52:24  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Click Here

Any word on how this effects the average gamer?

Mod Edit: Fixed the link.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs

Edited by - The Sage on 21 Aug 2008 03:57:23

monknwildcat
Learned Scribe

USA
285 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2008 :  04:10:45  Show Profile  Visit monknwildcat's Homepage Send monknwildcat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

Any word on how this effects the average gamer?

It's so vague it's meaningless beyond they're firing and hiring. *shrug*

I don't understand the target audience for such a release. Are they addressing metro Seattle where job changes have a local economic affect? Are they geared towards investors? Employee confidence? Their parent corporation?

*shrug**shrug*
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2008 :  05:09:13  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, that's why I'm asking here. Hopefully an insider might have more info than what's provided in the link.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2008 :  08:46:36  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wotzy is chaotic neutral.

Edited by - RodOdom on 21 Aug 2008 08:46:57
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2008 :  15:15:26  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It is interesting, though, to see this happening so soon after the release of 4E. It makes me wonder if it's not been as successful as hoped -- but even if it hasn't, I wouldn't expect anything to happen this quickly, unless sales were absolutely dismal.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2008 :  15:52:43  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do notice that everyone on various messageboards talks about how the PHB has gone to a 3rd printing and that when I look in the bookstore, they usually have about 10 copies on the shelf...

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2008 :  16:59:27  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This does make me wonder....probably they are looking for new employees and they wish to receive applications from all over...trying to pique interest with such a vague message.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2008 :  17:35:37  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I do notice that everyone on various messageboards talks about how the PHB has gone to a 3rd printing and that when I look in the bookstore, they usually have about 10 copies on the shelf...

Funny, my boosktore sold out of the PHB and DMG. The monster manual on the other hand tends to stick to the shelf.

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2008 :  17:57:40  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bakra

quote:

Funny, my boosktore sold out of the PHB and DMG. The monster manual on the other hand tends to stick to the shelf.

Yeah, that's all tyranny of the anecdote stuff. Bookscan numbers for PHB are very strong.

My Realms novel, Sandstorm, is now available for ordering.
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2008 :  18:39:32  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks CR, I honestly don't know the bookscan numbers since they're not published where I can get my hands on them. I know that the PHB was at #1 on RPGDriveThru for PDFs and had a strong showing on Amazon, but I'm just going by the number of copies I see at Barnes & Noble and Borders.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2008 :  20:02:32  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
...I'm just going by the number of copies I see at Barnes & Noble and Borders.

Sure, and that's perfectly understandable. But even there, even though it might seem counter-intuitive, seeing a consistently high number of a high profile title (like the PHB) in a relatively low profile category (like roleplaying games) is probably a sign that they're selling well.

For the big commercial chains, the buyers enter a certain number of copies to be purchased for each store. They'll get X copies for the smallest third or so of stores, X+Y for the middle third and so on, with the top 20 or so "RPG" stores (stores with very strong sales history in that category) getting the most. I'm shorthanding a lot of this, obviously.

But, when they enter the numbers for that initial buy, they also enter an onhand number that sets up the automatic reordering that takes place (or doesn't) when a copy is sold. For something they expect to be a big hit, there'll be a one to one replacement or even higher in the first months of a title's shelf life. For something they expect to have a big splash and then be a consistent seller afterwards, they might reorder one copy for every two or three sold.

Since the PHB has been out more than long enough for the major chains to have gone through at least one returns cycle with its subsequent "correction" of onhand numbers, then all likelihood whoever's in charge of the buying for your B&N and Borders (which is likely somebody located far far away in less you live in Ann Arbor or New York), that means the onhands have settled down to a very healthy 10 copies, meaning that's the number they think they should have on hand for a busy back to school weekend (right now, I mean).

My Realms novel, Sandstorm, is now available for ordering.
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2008 :  20:13:54  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds reasonable. The B&N I go to most often is the one in Mall of America, so that's what I'm judging by. And they are the only book store in the mall, so that's seems very likely.

Thanks Chris!

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2008 :  15:48:25  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They had a similar reorganisation after 3rd Edition's Launch too. After all, they need more people to create a new edition then they do to keep publishing material for it.

Or they could just be cutting back on some of their smaller product lines.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2008 :  17:18:24  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gamer_Zero (Mike Lescault) is one of the ones that was let go in the reorganization.

He was a community manager for WOTC and I think I've also seen him do some of the interviews at Gencon/etc.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2008 :  17:29:28  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He did a LOT of interviews at GenCon. I wonder if he's going to post some new videos on YouTube now...

EDIT: I didn't mean that in bad taste. I feel for anyone that gets laid off without any forewarning. Just wondered if he might have a few choice words outside his NDA.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Edited by - Ashe Ravenheart on 22 Aug 2008 17:34:21
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2008 :  17:32:50  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje here

Linae Foster, one of the two, along with Scott Rouse, that was helping with the GSL and getting it revised has either left WOTC or she was one of the people thas has been laid off in the reorganization.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2008 :  17:56:47  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hopefully Paizo will be ringing up Linae with a job offer right now.
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2008 :  19:15:04  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Uzzy

I don't think that WotC quite appreciates the threat Paizo poses to their status as the RPG overlord. It will be funny to see how many Paizo employees are former WotC employees in 2 or so years.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2008 :  19:18:07  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just read that GamerZero left as well...if I cared I would really worry about what the hell is going on in WotC internally right now. But I really don't care since I have lost all respect for them as a company. Kinda funny considering that just over a year ago I loved them.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2008 :  19:23:58  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HawkinstheDM

quote:
Originally posted by Uzzy

I don't think that WotC quite appreciates the threat Paizo poses to their status as the RPG overlord. It will be funny to see how many Paizo employees are former WotC employees in 2 or so years.

Especially since Paizo's Renton office is about 15 miles from WotC's Bellevue office...

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2008 :  03:32:44  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

Gamer_Zero (Mike Lescault) is one of the ones that was let go in the reorganization.

He was a community manager for WOTC and I think I've also seen him do some of the interviews at Gencon/etc.

I'm a bit surprised at that. Thanks for the news.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2008 :  04:48:58  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, it's kinda of surprising since almost every forum has that sticky announcement at the top showing his post about his Gen-Con video blog.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000