Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 RPG News & Releases
 Swordmage
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2008 :  23:37:24  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
WOTC released a new excerpt:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/4ex/20080826a

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2008 :  00:56:15  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

WOTC released a new excerpt:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/4ex/20080826a

Thank Coo-gee!

What is the race of the swordmage in the pic? A genasi of some type?

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2008 :  01:13:00  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
HAHAHA.

And I have no idea. :) Only saw that the preview was up.

quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

Thank Coo-gee!

What is the race of the swordmage in the pic? A genasi of some type?

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2008 :  02:03:33  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
first thing I asked myself as well, What is the race of the swordmage in the picture? cool picture, but difficult to place. I imagine a genesai as well.

I personally like the Swordmage class and plan on using it. It excerpt is just that. I will wait to see what the entire picture looks like with the published FRPG next month.

The novel caught my interest of this class first. adding some mechanics makes it fun.
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2008 :  03:04:22  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote

It's cool to see a arcane defender that is very different both from the fighter and the wizard.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2008 :  04:05:54  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Are there any normal looking people around post-Spellplague, or does everyone look "Kewl".

And I thought the hairy, Dwarven Red Wizard was weird.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2008 :  05:04:27  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Are there any normal looking people around post-Spellplague, or does everyone look "Kewl".

if I wanted normal, I would just walk outside...

I think we all commonly dig the realms at least in one aspect, and that is to use our imaginations. We are not playing modern (is that even the name for it)?

So, in my best teenage girl imatation, I like KEWL.

Edit: I used the wrong imatation. I looked it up, should have sounded more like my son and his buddies riding skateboards in the driveway

[b]kewl 1[b] sound cool awesome kool sweet rad great nice amazing wicked awsome neat hot dope lame good tight wow uncool stupid radical sick fun crazy

Edited by - scererar on 27 Aug 2008 05:09:02
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2008 :  06:30:58  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Didn't you know that one of the 4E stats was kewl points? It replaced Charisma.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Daviot
Senior Scribe

USA
372 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2008 :  08:06:28  Show Profile  Visit Daviot's Homepage Send Daviot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
Didn't you know that one of the 4E stats was kewl points? It replaced Charisma.

And to be sure, Swordmages and Warlocks run on kewl points.
And I almost missed the fact that Experience Points were phased out by (Totally) Radical Points (RP).

One usually has far more to fear from the soft-spoken wizard with a blade and well-worn boots than from the boisterous one in the ivory tower.
My Tabletop Writing CV.
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2008 :  08:37:28  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why don't they just call these guys Shadow Raiders and be done with it? this shate pushes the envelope of good old medieval fantasy as far as anyone has pushed it before...
Go to Top of Page

Snotlord
Senior Scribe

Norway
476 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2008 :  10:53:19  Show Profile  Visit Snotlord's Homepage Send Snotlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It could be stoneskin and bad hair.
Go to Top of Page

Pandora
Learned Scribe

Germany
305 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2008 :  11:35:00  Show Profile  Visit Pandora's Homepage Send Pandora a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scererar
if I wanted normal, I would just walk outside...

If everything is "special" it becomes "normal" (and thus boring and requiring more extreme "special stuff" to be special). This is the part where games will - over time - become really ridiculous IMO. This ridiculousness is easily demonstrated by THIS ...

On the topic of the class (well not really):
I noticed you need a proficiency to wear cloth in 4e ...

If you cant say what youre meaning,
you can never mean what youre saying.

- Centauri Minister of Intelligence, Babylon 5

Edited by - Pandora on 27 Aug 2008 11:36:39
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2008 :  14:31:32  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pandora

On the topic of the class (well not really):
I noticed you need a proficiency to wear cloth in 4e ...

It takes years of special training and skills to be able to dress yourself.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2008 :  15:00:07  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Purple Dragon Knight

Why don't they just call these guys Shadow Raiders and be done with it? this shate pushes the envelope of good old medieval fantasy as far as anyone has pushed it before...

Well, to be fair, Dungeons and Dragons in general and the Realms in particular have never been particularly "medieval" in their published incarnations (I'm sure there are thousands of medieval-flavored campaigns, though). The Realms are liberally spiced with elements from throughout human history, aren't they?

Besides, even if we do confine ourselves to viewing the Realms through lenses labeled "Western" and "medieval" (lenses that must themselves be ground "white" and "male" almost by necessity), well, even thus confined, there are some pretty odd things to be found in medieval histories and anthropological studies. Human expression has historically always found extremes--from body modification to self-induced delusion. Why should the Realms be diffent?

My Realms novel, Sandstorm, is now available for ordering.

Edited by - Christopher_Rowe on 27 Aug 2008 15:03:18
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2008 :  16:19:18  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Christopher_Rowe

quote:

Well, to be fair, Dungeons and Dragons in general and the Realms in particular have never been particularly "medieval" in their published incarnations (I'm sure there are thousands of medieval-flavored campaigns, though). The Realms are liberally spiced with elements from throughout human history, aren't they?

Besides, even if we do confine ourselves to viewing the Realms through lenses labeled "Western" and "medieval" (lenses that must themselves be ground "white" and "male" almost by necessity), well, even thus confined, there are some pretty odd things to be found in medieval histories and anthropological studies. Human expression has historically always found extremes--from body modification to self-induced delusion. Why should the Realms be diffent?

Thats why I loved the Old Realms, it wasn't the same as anything else.

Ahhh, well.....all things must pass.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2008 :  16:33:44  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

Thats why I loved the Old Realms, it wasn't the same as anything else.

Ahhh, well.....all things must pass.

Or, I'd say, it was and is the "same" as everything else. In the sense that the Realms have always worn their incredibly diverse influences and antecedents proudly and openly.

Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2008 :  23:00:18  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Chris,

I get the feeling you're just trying to piss me off here. There's no way in Hell you can convince me that this bastard-looking thing even remotely has some shred of a Realmsmian feel to it. If you think so, I'm sorry, but you just haven't been in the Realms long enough to have an opinion about what feels like the Realms or not.

This things needs a ray gun and a spacesuit... not a MW potion belt.

Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2008 :  23:35:25  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Chris,

I get the feeling you're just trying to piss me off here. There's no way in Hell you can convince me that this bastard-looking thing even remotely has some shred of a Realmsmian feel to it. If you think so, I'm sorry, but you just haven't been in the Realms long enough to have an opinion about what feels like the Realms or not.

Eh, I'm not trying to make you (or anybody else) mad. Maybe the Realms are big enough for more than one aesthetic is all.

--Christopher (not "Chris")
"In the Realms" since 1986

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2008 :  01:11:34  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Let's keep it civil fellow scribes.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Ranak
Learned Scribe

USA
190 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2008 :  01:15:36  Show Profile  Visit Ranak's Homepage Send Ranak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't judge a book by its cover! I agree the cover of Swordmage is hardly Realmsian, but there was a pretty big change in art between all editions of DnD, 1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd.

Nowhere in the text is anything so outlandish described. "His 9 foot tall black iron armor with superfluous spikes" never once appears in the actual prose, which reads pretty much like a Realms novel.

quote:

Chris,

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2008 :  01:19:26  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Let's keep it civil fellow scribes.

-Thank you Sage.

BRIMSTONE

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2008 :  01:37:25  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ranak

Don't judge a book by its cover! I agree the cover of Swordmage is hardly Realmsian, but there was a pretty big change in art between all editions of DnD, 1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd.

Nowhere in the text is anything so outlandish described. "His 9 foot tall black iron armor with superfluous spikes" never once appears in the actual prose, which reads pretty much like a Realms novel.

I've lent my copy to a player in my campaign whose character is from Hulberg, so I can't check who the artist was, but the cover art of Swordmage reminded me of Planescape. I wonder if it was someone who did some work on that setting.

Also, the critter on the cover is meant to be the King in Copper, the lich Aesperus, I think. Not the titular swordmage, Geran Hulmaster. That was my "read" of the cover anyway.

Go to Top of Page

Ranak
Learned Scribe

USA
190 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2008 :  04:49:37  Show Profile  Visit Ranak's Homepage Send Ranak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The cover was by Raymond Swanland - and yes, I agree, it does look like some of the Planescape art. I knew it had a familiar feel to it!

quote:

quote:

I've lent my copy to a player in my campaign whose character is from Hulberg, so I can't check who the artist was, but the cover art of Swordmage reminded me of Planescape. I wonder if it was someone who did some work on that setting.

Also, the critter on the cover is meant to be the King in Copper, the lich Aesperus, I think. Not the titular swordmage, Geran Hulmaster. That was my "read" of the cover anyway.

Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2008 :  05:27:34  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Chris,

Eh, I'm not trying to make you (or anybody else) mad. Maybe the Realms are big enough for more than one aesthetic is all.

"In the Realms" since 1986

"Probably playing xephs, drow, kobolds, genasi, minotaurs and other things annoying to DMs In the Realms" since 1986
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2008 :  06:24:31  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, this is the second warning to keep things civil. The next time I'm sealing this scroll.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
728 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2008 :  07:44:00  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The cover was by Raymond Swanland - and yes, I agree, it does look like some of the Planescape art. I knew it had a familiar feel to it!

He's done a lot of work for recent covers. I know a lot of people don't like his art, but I quite do.

A quick "swanland site:o-love.net" search on Google, netted me this.

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms
Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2008 :  14:04:35  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kyrene

quote:

He's done a lot of work for recent covers. I know a lot of people don't like his art, but I quite do.

Ranak and Kyrene, thanks for the information. And wow, that cover gallery really pops. I like this guy's stuff.

I also see--I should have thought to check this--that I was misremembering the details, and that Geran Hulmaster is on the cover as well. Though the situation looks a little grim for him.

(Kyrene, I also like your .sig line. I'm hoping that'll be a wardrobe option to add to my "I am a sexy shoeless god of war!" t-shirt the next they add stuff to their shop.)

Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2008 :  14:11:50  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kyrene

quote:

excellent. I was thinking this cover more resembled Kemp's books and some of the other newer FR novels.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000