Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 RPG News & Releases
 Wizards Organizational Alignment

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Ashe Ravenheart Posted - 21 Aug 2008 : 03:52:24
Click Here

Any word on how this effects the average gamer?

Mod Edit: Fixed the link.
21   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Ashe Ravenheart Posted - 26 Aug 2008 : 04:48:58
Yeah, it's kinda of surprising since almost every forum has that sticky announcement at the top showing his post about his Gen-Con video blog.
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 26 Aug 2008 : 03:32:44
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

Gamer_Zero (Mike Lescault) is one of the ones that was let go in the reorganization.

He was a community manager for WOTC and I think I've also seen him do some of the interviews at Gencon/etc.

I'm a bit surprised at that. Thanks for the news.
Ashe Ravenheart Posted - 22 Aug 2008 : 19:23:58
quote:
Originally posted by HawkinstheDM

quote:
Originally posted by Uzzy

Hopefully Paizo will be ringing up Linae with a job offer right now.
I don't think that WotC quite appreciates the threat Paizo poses to their status as the RPG overlord. It will be funny to see how many Paizo employees are former WotC employees in 2 or so years.

Especially since Paizo's Renton office is about 15 miles from WotC's Bellevue office...
Hawkins Posted - 22 Aug 2008 : 19:18:07
Just read that GamerZero left as well...if I cared I would really worry about what the hell is going on in WotC internally right now. But I really don't care since I have lost all respect for them as a company. Kinda funny considering that just over a year ago I loved them.
Hawkins Posted - 22 Aug 2008 : 19:15:04
quote:
Originally posted by Uzzy

I don't think that WotC quite appreciates the threat Paizo poses to their status as the RPG overlord. It will be funny to see how many Paizo employees are former WotC employees in 2 or so years.
Uzzy Posted - 22 Aug 2008 : 17:56:47
Ashe Ravenheart Posted - 22 Aug 2008 : 17:32:50
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje here

Linae Foster, one of the two, along with Scott Rouse, that was helping with the GSL and getting it revised has either left WOTC or she was one of the people thas has been laid off in the reorganization.

Ashe Ravenheart Posted - 22 Aug 2008 : 17:29:28
He did a LOT of interviews at GenCon. I wonder if he's going to post some new videos on YouTube now...

EDIT: I didn't mean that in bad taste. I feel for anyone that gets laid off without any forewarning. Just wondered if he might have a few choice words outside his NDA.
Kuje Posted - 22 Aug 2008 : 17:18:24
Gamer_Zero (Mike Lescault) is one of the ones that was let go in the reorganization.

He was a community manager for WOTC and I think I've also seen him do some of the interviews at Gencon/etc.
Uzzy Posted - 22 Aug 2008 : 15:48:25
They had a similar reorganisation after 3rd Edition's Launch too. After all, they need more people to create a new edition then they do to keep publishing material for it.

Or they could just be cutting back on some of their smaller product lines.
Ashe Ravenheart Posted - 21 Aug 2008 : 20:13:54
Sounds reasonable. The B&N I go to most often is the one in Mall of America, so that's what I'm judging by. And they are the only book store in the mall, so that's seems very likely.

Thanks Chris!
Christopher_Rowe Posted - 21 Aug 2008 : 20:02:32
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart
...I'm just going by the number of copies I see at Barnes & Noble and Borders.

Sure, and that's perfectly understandable. But even there, even though it might seem counter-intuitive, seeing a consistently high number of a high profile title (like the PHB) in a relatively low profile category (like roleplaying games) is probably a sign that they're selling well.

For the big commercial chains, the buyers enter a certain number of copies to be purchased for each store. They'll get X copies for the smallest third or so of stores, X+Y for the middle third and so on, with the top 20 or so "RPG" stores (stores with very strong sales history in that category) getting the most. I'm shorthanding a lot of this, obviously.

But, when they enter the numbers for that initial buy, they also enter an onhand number that sets up the automatic reordering that takes place (or doesn't) when a copy is sold. For something they expect to be a big hit, there'll be a one to one replacement or even higher in the first months of a title's shelf life. For something they expect to have a big splash and then be a consistent seller afterwards, they might reorder one copy for every two or three sold.

Since the PHB has been out more than long enough for the major chains to have gone through at least one returns cycle with its subsequent "correction" of onhand numbers, then all likelihood whoever's in charge of the buying for your B&N and Borders (which is likely somebody located far far away in less you live in Ann Arbor or New York), that means the onhands have settled down to a very healthy 10 copies, meaning that's the number they think they should have on hand for a busy back to school weekend (right now, I mean).
Ashe Ravenheart Posted - 21 Aug 2008 : 18:39:32
Thanks CR, I honestly don't know the bookscan numbers since they're not published where I can get my hands on them. I know that the PHB was at #1 on RPGDriveThru for PDFs and had a strong showing on Amazon, but I'm just going by the number of copies I see at Barnes & Noble and Borders.
Christopher_Rowe Posted - 21 Aug 2008 : 17:57:40
quote:
Originally posted by Bakra

quote:

I do notice that everyone on various messageboards talks about how the PHB has gone to a 3rd printing and that when I look in the bookstore, they usually have about 10 copies on the shelf...

Funny, my boosktore sold out of the PHB and DMG. The monster manual on the other hand tends to stick to the shelf.

Yeah, that's all tyranny of the anecdote stuff. Bookscan numbers for PHB are very strong.
Bakra Posted - 21 Aug 2008 : 17:35:37
quote:

I do notice that everyone on various messageboards talks about how the PHB has gone to a 3rd printing and that when I look in the bookstore, they usually have about 10 copies on the shelf...

Funny, my boosktore sold out of the PHB and DMG. The monster manual on the other hand tends to stick to the shelf.
Alisttair Posted - 21 Aug 2008 : 16:59:27
This does make me wonder....probably they are looking for new employees and they wish to receive applications from all over...trying to pique interest with such a vague message.
Ashe Ravenheart Posted - 21 Aug 2008 : 15:52:43
Wooly Rupert Posted - 21 Aug 2008 : 15:15:26
It is interesting, though, to see this happening so soon after the release of 4E. It makes me wonder if it's not been as successful as hoped -- but even if it hasn't, I wouldn't expect anything to happen this quickly, unless sales were absolutely dismal.
RodOdom Posted - 21 Aug 2008 : 08:46:36
Wotzy is chaotic neutral.
Ashe Ravenheart Posted - 21 Aug 2008 : 05:09:13
Yeah, that's why I'm asking here. Hopefully an insider might have more info than what's provided in the link.
monknwildcat Posted - 21 Aug 2008 : 04:10:45
quote:

Any word on how this effects the average gamer?

It's so vague it's meaningless beyond they're firing and hiring. *shrug*

I don't understand the target audience for such a release. Are they addressing metro Seattle where job changes have a local economic affect? Are they geared towards investors? Employee confidence? Their parent corporation?

*shrug**shrug*

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000