Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Would the Tarrasque be considered a Primordial?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2014 :  14:22:31  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Subject says it all. In the original write-up the tarrasque was said to be a punishment sent by the gods. But this could be explained simply as folklore (I mean most people in a primitive society would consider such a creature as a show of godly wrath).

I'm leaning toward considering it a primordial of destruction and/or consumption or even unending hunger.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6352 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2014 :  14:50:42  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It gets my vote as a primordial.

A super powered creature that is effectively immortal unless killed and his power is innate.

I dont really consider primordials to be "of" anything, they are just primordials. A unique being of some form or another with lots of power (although not all are super powered - Elrem may well have been a primordial but he was killed by a bunch of Zhents).

Unfortunately the planet full of tarrasques makes it less likely the tarrasque was a primordial but lets just ignore that lore. Primordials should be to monsters (or humanoids, generally any kind of creature) what artefacts are to magic items

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Cbad285
Learned Scribe

160 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2014 :  15:20:14  Show Profile Send Cbad285 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i always pictured it as godzilla...

"Beware the Dream Fever!"
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2014 :  16:56:47  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My thoughts immediately turned to the '1 tarrasque per campaign setting except for the planet full of them' deal when I first saw this.

I suppose it depends if you include Spelljammer lore in your game but my vote would be 'no'. I always got the impression that each primordial was unique and if there's one on Oerth and another on Krynn as well, I don't think it qualifies as unique.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

Mirtek
Senior Scribe

595 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2014 :  21:47:04  Show Profile Send Mirtek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In it's 4e dragon article it was described as a living weapon created by the primordials.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2014 :  22:46:32  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In 1E/2E the Tarrasque could, at least theoretically, be permanently slain by outrageously potent PCs. Not likely, true, but it could be done.

So, too, could godly avatars ... but, unlike the Tarrasque, avatars would always manage to eventually return.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2014 :  23:20:12  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm an ancient power is what I had of what was a primordial, that is some intelligence. The versions I have seen of the Tarrasque is that it only sleeps (eats occasionally) and darn hard to kill.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon

Edited by - Kentinal on 29 Apr 2014 23:23:09
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2014 :  00:10:33  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
what if the Tarrasque is some kind of primordial that actually can manifest itself into multiple selves (perhaps like simulacrums) ...or something like avatar/manifestations like the Egyptian gods did.... such that he sends one of himself to each crystal sphere at a time (and sometimes a crystal sphere may have no tarrasque). The planet full of them may actually be where the "core" tarrasque is (where is this planet btw?), and the core tarrasque may be even more powerful than the "lesser" versions that it sends out.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2014 :  00:11:29  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
oh, and perhaps these manifestations of the true tarrasque are of lesser intelligence than the true tarrasque, and it is scheming some nefarious plot.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2014 :  02:52:14  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't see a planet surviving with numerous tarrasques populating it, unless sleyvas' idea (or something similar) is true. Sounds to me like the developers wanted a way to justify a tarrasque in each setting. The 'core primordial' idea works much better than a planet full of them.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2014 :  05:19:02  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas
The planet full of them may actually be where the "core" tarrasque is (where is this planet btw?), and the core tarrasque may be even more powerful than the "lesser" versions that it sends out.

The Planet's name was Falx. Additionally, I seem to remember that that planet's soil was extremely high in mineral content, and because of this, the tarrasque was mild mannered, like a cow, and wandered peacefully around. That might have been my own spin on the lore, though. I can't seem to find my source atm.

Edit: Practical Planetology is the supplement name, page seven and following. The text does not say the tarrasque inhabits the planet. It says that the creatures that inhabit the planet are indistinguishable from the tarrasque. It also says that the tarrasque is unique.
So, I'm going with Primordial Tarrasque for 1000, please Alex.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus

Edited by - Delwa on 30 Apr 2014 05:51:16
Go to Top of Page

Baltas
Senior Scribe

Poland
955 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2014 :  14:56:00  Show Profile Send Baltas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

oh, and perhaps these manifestations of the true tarrasque are of lesser intelligence than the true tarrasque, and it is scheming some nefarious plot.

I like that idea! The Elemental Gods also exist on multiple worlds, so the aspect way is a nice way to explain the Tarrasque as a Primordial on multiple material spheres.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3737 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2014 :  01:51:53  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hashimashadoo

My thoughts immediately turned to the '1 tarrasque per campaign setting except for the planet full of them' deal when I first saw this.

-Was that changed, or am I misremembering something?

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2014 :  02:26:38  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Tarrasque is certainly a creature which inspires dread expectations, no doubt that peoples across Oerth and Toril, perhaps also other worlds and planes, know and fear it. I've seen an adventure in which a beast cult worships the Tarrasque. I wonder if these priest-cultists can summon a Tarrasque to serve them, or if they can take the form of a Tarrasque ...

I also wonder if the Tarrasque is technically a "beast" and therefore also subject to manifesting a Beastlord archetype somewhere in the higher planes ...

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2014 :  05:24:23  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love the Pathfinder spin on the tarrasque... In Golarion, there is a deity called Rovagug that wants to destroy everything. He's been imprisoned by all the other deities, but sometimes some seriously big nasty critters, called the Spawn of Rovagug, get out and cause a lot of damage. And the tarrasque is one of those Spawn.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2014 :  05:26:50  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds like he and Shar would get along great!

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Baltas
Senior Scribe

Poland
955 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2014 :  11:05:14  Show Profile Send Baltas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well if Rovagug sees past his hatred of all other divine beings, this could a begining of wonderful friendship Or more seriously, yeah they could make some sort of alliance, with Shar helping to release the The Rough Beast, and it/he giving his/it's hand in destroyning Toril. What is also interesting James Jacobs, said that Rovagug is Obox-Ob, the first prince of all demons in all but name, and it has some reflection in the lore, as Rovagug is also sugested to be the strongest of Obyrith/Qlippoth, who ascended into godhood.
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2014 :  13:32:20  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Baltas

Well if Rovagug sees past his hatred of all other divine beings, this could a begining of wonderful friendship Or more seriously, yeah they could make some sort of alliance, with Shar helping to release the The Rough Beast, and it/he giving his/it's hand in destroyning Toril. What is also interesting James Jacobs, said that Rovagug is Obox-Ob, the first prince of all demons in all but name, and it has some reflection in the lore, as Rovagug is also sugested to be the strongest of Obyrith/Qlippoth, who ascended into godhood.

This however, would raise the ire of Asmodeus, who is in charge of the key to opening Rovagug's prison. I for one would like to see a showdown between Asmodeus and Shar.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

Baltas
Senior Scribe

Poland
955 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2014 :  13:38:13  Show Profile Send Baltas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hashimashadoo

This however, would raise the ire of Asmodeus, who is in charge of the key to opening Rovagug's prison. I for one would like to see a showdown between Asmodeus and Shar.

Yeah, that would be an awesome confrontation. Especialy if we take the World Serpent origin with Asmodeus, he is quite similar to Shar.
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2014 :  15:55:14  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In my 'Reign of Dragons' article in Candlekeep Compendium IV I put forth the notion that Tarrasque is the progeny of two primordials: Ubtao and Lotan.

In the aftermath of The Sundering (the original one /sigh), Tarrasque was stranded on mainland Faerūn separated from Katashaka and her home. Soon after, Tarrasque is slain by an avatar of the yuan-ti god Sss`thasine`ss as she attempts to conquer Mhairshaulk. In his grief Ubtao attempts to resurrect his daughter, but she returns to Toril a mindless uncontrollable killing machine. Fortunately she remains dormant much of the time. When unleashed Tarrasque is a creature feared even by the mighty dragons. Even more alarming is that Tarrasque is immortal. She has been slain many times over the millennia but always returns to rampage once more.

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

Baltas
Senior Scribe

Poland
955 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2014 :  16:03:46  Show Profile Send Baltas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brian R. James

In my 'Reign of Dragons' article in Candlekeep Compendium IV I put forth the notion that Tarrasque is the progeny of two primordials: Ubtao and Lotan.

In the aftermath of The Sundering (the original one /sigh), Tarrasque was stranded on mainland Faerļæ½n separated from Katashaka and her home. Soon after, Tarrasque is slain by an avatar of the yuan-ti god Sss`thasine`ss as she attempts to conquer Mhairshaulk. In his grief Ubtao attempts to resurrect his daughter, but she returns to Toril a mindless uncontrollable killing machine. Fortunately she remains dormant much of the time. When unleashed Tarrasque is a creature feared even by the mighty dragons. Even more alarming is that Tarrasque is immortal. She has been slain many times over the millennia but always returns to rampage once more.

Remember the article, truly awesome stuff there, and I think it's my favorite one in the Candlekeep Compendium. Does this mean that Tiamat/Yaldabaoth, Null, and Xymor were originally Primordials in Forgotten Realms?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000