Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Would the Tarrasque be considered a Primordial?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
The Arcanamach Posted - 29 Apr 2014 : 14:22:31
Subject says it all. In the original write-up the tarrasque was said to be a punishment sent by the gods. But this could be explained simply as folklore (I mean most people in a primitive society would consider such a creature as a show of godly wrath).

I'm leaning toward considering it a primordial of destruction and/or consumption or even unending hunger.
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Baltas Posted - 01 May 2014 : 16:03:46
quote:
Originally posted by Brian R. James

In my 'Reign of Dragons' article in Candlekeep Compendium IV I put forth the notion that Tarrasque is the progeny of two primordials: Ubtao and Lotan.

In the aftermath of The Sundering (the original one /sigh), Tarrasque was stranded on mainland Faer�n separated from Katashaka and her home. Soon after, Tarrasque is slain by an avatar of the yuan-ti god Sss`thasine`ss as she attempts to conquer Mhairshaulk. In his grief Ubtao attempts to resurrect his daughter, but she returns to Toril a mindless uncontrollable killing machine. Fortunately she remains dormant much of the time. When unleashed Tarrasque is a creature feared even by the mighty dragons. Even more alarming is that Tarrasque is immortal. She has been slain many times over the millennia but always returns to rampage once more.

Remember the article, truly awesome stuff there, and I think it's my favorite one in the Candlekeep Compendium. Does this mean that Tiamat/Yaldabaoth, Null, and Xymor were originally Primordials in Forgotten Realms?
Brian R. James Posted - 01 May 2014 : 15:55:14
In my 'Reign of Dragons' article in Candlekeep Compendium IV I put forth the notion that Tarrasque is the progeny of two primordials: Ubtao and Lotan.

In the aftermath of The Sundering (the original one /sigh), Tarrasque was stranded on mainland Faerûn separated from Katashaka and her home. Soon after, Tarrasque is slain by an avatar of the yuan-ti god Sss`thasine`ss as she attempts to conquer Mhairshaulk. In his grief Ubtao attempts to resurrect his daughter, but she returns to Toril a mindless uncontrollable killing machine. Fortunately she remains dormant much of the time. When unleashed Tarrasque is a creature feared even by the mighty dragons. Even more alarming is that Tarrasque is immortal. She has been slain many times over the millennia but always returns to rampage once more.
Baltas Posted - 01 May 2014 : 13:38:13
quote:
Originally posted by hashimashadoo

This however, would raise the ire of Asmodeus, who is in charge of the key to opening Rovagug's prison. I for one would like to see a showdown between Asmodeus and Shar.

Yeah, that would be an awesome confrontation. Especialy if we take the World Serpent origin with Asmodeus, he is quite similar to Shar.
hashimashadoo Posted - 01 May 2014 : 13:32:20
quote:
Originally posted by Baltas

Well if Rovagug sees past his hatred of all other divine beings, this could a begining of wonderful friendship Or more seriously, yeah they could make some sort of alliance, with Shar helping to release the The Rough Beast, and it/he giving his/it's hand in destroyning Toril. What is also interesting James Jacobs, said that Rovagug is Obox-Ob, the first prince of all demons in all but name, and it has some reflection in the lore, as Rovagug is also sugested to be the strongest of Obyrith/Qlippoth, who ascended into godhood.

This however, would raise the ire of Asmodeus, who is in charge of the key to opening Rovagug's prison. I for one would like to see a showdown between Asmodeus and Shar.
Baltas Posted - 01 May 2014 : 11:05:14
Well if Rovagug sees past his hatred of all other divine beings, this could a begining of wonderful friendship Or more seriously, yeah they could make some sort of alliance, with Shar helping to release the The Rough Beast, and it/he giving his/it's hand in destroyning Toril. What is also interesting James Jacobs, said that Rovagug is Obox-Ob, the first prince of all demons in all but name, and it has some reflection in the lore, as Rovagug is also sugested to be the strongest of Obyrith/Qlippoth, who ascended into godhood.
Alystra Illianniis Posted - 01 May 2014 : 05:26:50
Sounds like he and Shar would get along great!
Wooly Rupert Posted - 01 May 2014 : 05:24:23
I love the Pathfinder spin on the tarrasque... In Golarion, there is a deity called Rovagug that wants to destroy everything. He's been imprisoned by all the other deities, but sometimes some seriously big nasty critters, called the Spawn of Rovagug, get out and cause a lot of damage. And the tarrasque is one of those Spawn.
Ayrik Posted - 01 May 2014 : 02:26:38
The Tarrasque is certainly a creature which inspires dread expectations, no doubt that peoples across Oerth and Toril, perhaps also other worlds and planes, know and fear it. I've seen an adventure in which a beast cult worships the Tarrasque. I wonder if these priest-cultists can summon a Tarrasque to serve them, or if they can take the form of a Tarrasque ...

I also wonder if the Tarrasque is technically a "beast" and therefore also subject to manifesting a Beastlord archetype somewhere in the higher planes ...
Lord Karsus Posted - 01 May 2014 : 01:51:53
quote:
Originally posted by hashimashadoo

My thoughts immediately turned to the '1 tarrasque per campaign setting except for the planet full of them' deal when I first saw this.

-Was that changed, or am I misremembering something?
Baltas Posted - 30 Apr 2014 : 14:56:00
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

oh, and perhaps these manifestations of the true tarrasque are of lesser intelligence than the true tarrasque, and it is scheming some nefarious plot.

I like that idea! The Elemental Gods also exist on multiple worlds, so the aspect way is a nice way to explain the Tarrasque as a Primordial on multiple material spheres.
Delwa Posted - 30 Apr 2014 : 05:19:02
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas
The planet full of them may actually be where the "core" tarrasque is (where is this planet btw?), and the core tarrasque may be even more powerful than the "lesser" versions that it sends out.

The Planet's name was Falx. Additionally, I seem to remember that that planet's soil was extremely high in mineral content, and because of this, the tarrasque was mild mannered, like a cow, and wandered peacefully around. That might have been my own spin on the lore, though. I can't seem to find my source atm.

Edit: Practical Planetology is the supplement name, page seven and following. The text does not say the tarrasque inhabits the planet. It says that the creatures that inhabit the planet are indistinguishable from the tarrasque. It also says that the tarrasque is unique.
So, I'm going with Primordial Tarrasque for 1000, please Alex.
The Arcanamach Posted - 30 Apr 2014 : 02:52:14
I can't see a planet surviving with numerous tarrasques populating it, unless sleyvas' idea (or something similar) is true. Sounds to me like the developers wanted a way to justify a tarrasque in each setting. The 'core primordial' idea works much better than a planet full of them.
sleyvas Posted - 30 Apr 2014 : 00:11:29
oh, and perhaps these manifestations of the true tarrasque are of lesser intelligence than the true tarrasque, and it is scheming some nefarious plot.
sleyvas Posted - 30 Apr 2014 : 00:10:33
what if the Tarrasque is some kind of primordial that actually can manifest itself into multiple selves (perhaps like simulacrums) ...or something like avatar/manifestations like the Egyptian gods did.... such that he sends one of himself to each crystal sphere at a time (and sometimes a crystal sphere may have no tarrasque). The planet full of them may actually be where the "core" tarrasque is (where is this planet btw?), and the core tarrasque may be even more powerful than the "lesser" versions that it sends out.
Kentinal Posted - 29 Apr 2014 : 23:20:12
Hmm an ancient power is what I had of what was a primordial, that is some intelligence. The versions I have seen of the Tarrasque is that it only sleeps (eats occasionally) and darn hard to kill.
Ayrik Posted - 29 Apr 2014 : 22:46:32
In 1E/2E the Tarrasque could, at least theoretically, be permanently slain by outrageously potent PCs. Not likely, true, but it could be done.

So, too, could godly avatars ... but, unlike the Tarrasque, avatars would always manage to eventually return.
Mirtek Posted - 29 Apr 2014 : 21:47:04
In it's 4e dragon article it was described as a living weapon created by the primordials.
hashimashadoo Posted - 29 Apr 2014 : 16:56:47
My thoughts immediately turned to the '1 tarrasque per campaign setting except for the planet full of them' deal when I first saw this.

I suppose it depends if you include Spelljammer lore in your game but my vote would be 'no'. I always got the impression that each primordial was unique and if there's one on Oerth and another on Krynn as well, I don't think it qualifies as unique.
Cbad285 Posted - 29 Apr 2014 : 15:20:14
i always pictured it as godzilla...
Gary Dallison Posted - 29 Apr 2014 : 14:50:42
It gets my vote as a primordial.

A super powered creature that is effectively immortal unless killed and his power is innate.

I dont really consider primordials to be "of" anything, they are just primordials. A unique being of some form or another with lots of power (although not all are super powered - Elrem may well have been a primordial but he was killed by a bunch of Zhents).

Unfortunately the planet full of tarrasques makes it less likely the tarrasque was a primordial but lets just ignore that lore. Primordials should be to monsters (or humanoids, generally any kind of creature) what artefacts are to magic items

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000