Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Deadlands to be developed as TV show for Xbox
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dark Wizard
Senior Scribe

USA
830 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2014 :  05:21:18  Show Profile Send Dark Wizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Link: http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidewalt/2014/04/28/microsoft-sees-the-future-of-tv-in-an-old-school-role-playing-game/

Microsoft is turning the Deadlands setting (a pen & paper RPG, most recently using the Savage Worlds RPG system) into an original television programs for Xbox.

Didn't think this would be 'considerable' for a television show, but come to think of it, the setting has a lot going for it in that respect. Modern effects can bring a lot into this, feasibility for one.

Deadlands hits all the right spots for a show no one has ever seen (or remembers seeing, Wild Wild West and even Brisco County Jr were a long time ago). It intersects with several popular genres or revived genres at present (westerns, steampunk, undead/zombie, post-apocalyptic, historical/period shows, fantasy) while going about it with its own blend.

If this survives all the way to an actual show, Deadlands just made a huge transmedia leap into more mainstream awareness.

Now where was that D&D TV show again...
Movie?
Cartoon?

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2014 :  13:11:01  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
interesting... will it only be available to xbox subscribers? I'd be interested in seeing it, but I'm not paying for an xbox subscription for it.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2014 :  15:07:06  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Always been a fan of Deadlands/Weird West - I'm looking forward to seeing something come of this.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2014 :  01:57:23  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-While there have definitley been some plus fantasy/medieval live-action TV shows as of late (I just got into History Channel's Vikings this week, and it's the season two finale on Thursday; D'oh!), and obviously The Hobbit/Lord of the Rings, I still think that animation is the best route to go for the genre. It's much cheaper, you'd be able to better capture the more fantastical elements that live action stuff and special effects might not (harkening back to budget issues), relatively faster to produce and edit, and a bunch of other pluses.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2014 :  11:47:35  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I cant say that I have heard of Deadlands but it sounds pretty interesting. Hopefully they make a good adaption though Hollywood track record is not that great when it comes to games. But I hope it does well, because if nothing else it might generate more interest in other D&D properties such as our own Realms.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2014 :  13:05:19  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

-While there have definitley been some plus fantasy/medieval live-action TV shows as of late (I just got into History Channel's Vikings this week, and it's the season two finale on Thursday; D'oh!), and obviously The Hobbit/Lord of the Rings, I still think that animation is the best route to go for the genre. It's much cheaper, you'd be able to better capture the more fantastical elements that live action stuff and special effects might not (harkening back to budget issues), relatively faster to produce and edit, and a bunch of other pluses.

OMG, if you haven't seen season one of Vikings, you need to go buy it. I saw them and bought the season just to have it. That and Game of Thrones are seasonal shows that I swear I will have every epidsode on DVD, just so I can watch them again in a few years.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2014 :  18:31:27  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

OMG, if you haven't seen season one of Vikings, you need to go buy it. I saw them and bought the season just to have it. That and Game of Thrones are seasonal shows that I swear I will have every epidsode on DVD, just so I can watch them again in a few years.

-I watched like a five minute "catch-up" that summed up all of the important details of the first season, so I feel like any twists and turns and surprises aren't going to feel as important as they should, since I already know.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000