Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Cryokinesis
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2014 :  18:17:34  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Any thoughts on the issue in an FR setting? I'm aware of the Ring of Winter and the information in Frostburn, but would love to hear the musings of this fine collection of Scribes.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2014 :  18:52:15  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Controlling ice seems a lot less...grandiose than control over fire. The relatively static nature of ice, as opposed to fire, probably would kind of make it impractical in the immediate present. The ability to control it over the long-term, to be able to shape it as it forms and whatever else, that would be useful, I guess. Things like architecture or maybe production (tools made of ice)in the North, where there's a lot of snow and ice or even permafrost, could be augmented by such an ability.

-What kind of tyrannical Aurilite priestess wouldn't want a stronghold made of ice, or servitors that don't use weapons made of ice (or servitors made of ice, for that matter)?

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium

Edited by - Lord Karsus on 27 Apr 2014 18:53:20
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7974 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2014 :  22:49:18  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"The physics of the Realms are slightly out of sync with the physics understood on our world."

I'm not entirely sure whether an Absolute Zero condition (complete suspension of entropy and halting of all motion, even at the atomic and subatomic scales) exists in the Realms. None of the fiction or adventures I know of provide any reference to this phenomenom. Things (even living things) seem to either become so frozen and brittle that they disintegrate into broken shards at the slightest impact, or they eventually thaw out and return to their previous state. Absolute Zero "ice" on our world could not conduct electricity, burn, corrode, or be subject to any chemical processes, and of course most creatures on our world would not survive a sudden freezing/thawing intact.

Incidentally, one of the Ring of Winter's properties is that it can be used to create permanent objects and items from magically-hardened ice. One of my PCs made much use of a (found) morning star made (long ago) of this stuff, although he also wore Boots of the North to ensure protection from the unnatural cold it radiated.

I recall a monstrous mercenary unit based in the North was armed with ice axes, ice blades, and ice lances. Sorry, I can't also recall the specific source or details.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11716 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2014 :  23:40:41  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ice magic can be as much if not more useful than fire magic. For instance, you can make structures of ice... you can make transportation from ice... you can make weapons of ice.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2014 :  03:12:07  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
there was that ice fortress spell in frostburn for ice structures.
there was also that ice temple to auril in iwd2.

ice magic can be fun....

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2014 :  04:57:24  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

Ice magic can be as much if not more useful than fire magic. For instance, you can make structures of ice... you can make transportation from ice... you can make weapons of ice.

While this is true, when I've got enemies in front of me, I'd rather toss a fireball than an ice cube. Even if the damage was exactly the same, fire causes a much more visceral reaction than ice does.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2014 :  17:50:46  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, there was that group of Vaasan wizards who were said to have discovered a 'new' type of ice magic in their ice tower at the base of Mount Okk in 1142 DR.

An earthquake opened a fissure directly beneath their tower seven years later and an avalanche buried it. It would be a perfect place to introduce cryokinesis if your players could reach the buried tower.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7974 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2014 :  22:42:32  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think an ice-themed spellcaster is always a useful addition to the party. He can affect monster types which are immune or resistant to fire - including most fiends, outsiders, and dragons. Undead might be problematic. NPC opponents will tend to act like PCs in terms of prioritizing their resistance vs fire, even lightning, before addressing cold ... largely because every mageling in the land will hurl fireballs and lightning bolts.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Tanthalas
Senior Scribe

Portugal
508 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2014 :  23:17:12  Show Profile Send Tanthalas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just look at how Icingdeath is useful to Drizzt when fighting fiends or Fire elemental creatures.

I know the Marvel universe is a far cry from D&D, but over there Iceman can pretty much make any structure that he wants with ice.

Sir Markham pointed out, drinking another brandy. "A chap who can point at you and say 'die' has the distinct advantage".
Go to Top of Page

Ateth Istarlin
Seeker

United Kingdom
80 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2014 :  06:32:53  Show Profile Send Ateth Istarlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The D&D comics published by Kenser & Co. featured an ice wizard in one of their stories - he inspired me to look into playing one in our campaign (he came in very useful & was instrumental in achieving victory over the main villain).

The more I read about 4FR, the more depressed I am.
Politician - An elected official who tries to be all things to all people, while always looking out for his/her own interests first.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2014 :  01:59:19  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tanthalas

I know the Marvel universe is a far cry from D&D, but over there Iceman can pretty much make any structure that he wants with ice.

-Wouldn't that be different from cryokinesis? That's not only controlling, but also creating ice.

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

Tanthalas
Senior Scribe

Portugal
508 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2014 :  02:52:16  Show Profile Send Tanthalas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus
-Wouldn't that be different from cryokinesis? That's not only controlling, but also creating ice.

I don't think that there's a definitive definition for cryokinesis, but the few definitions that I find online seem to include ice creation as well.

Sir Markham pointed out, drinking another brandy. "A chap who can point at you and say 'die' has the distinct advantage".
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2014 :  18:36:47  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Creating ice, that'd be a whole different story, then. Very useful.

-I was under the assumption it was just controlling ice, something that would be much more limited in its usefulness because of the environmental and temporal issues involving ice and how it forms.

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000