Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 Organizing one's Dungeon and Dragon Magazines
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2009 :  20:17:33  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So, over the past year I have been picking up a few issues of Dragon and Dungeon. Right now they all sit in a stack. I am sure there are better ways to organize them. Does anyone have suggestions on how they do it?

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2009 :  20:21:48  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alphabetically by editor/author.

The best method would probably be to get some of those 'media boxes' like the libraries use to hold back issues of magazines, grouped by years.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2009 :  20:51:33  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When I still had those magazines, they were bagged, boarded, shelved, and arranged in numeric order.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2009 :  21:37:04  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Did you just use comic book bags? Is there somewhere I can buy bags/boards in bulk?

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2009 :  22:45:57  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HawkinstheDM

Did you just use comic book bags? Is there somewhere I can buy bags/boards in bulk?

Well, magazine-sized ones, yeah.

At first, I was buying bags individually, as I needed them or as money permitted, from my local comic/game store. Then I found some online site to buy them. More recently, I've found another good provider. I've purchased from them two or three times, and I quite like them.

The 2 Buds Look under "Comic & Magazine Supplies"

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2009 :  22:49:18  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Like Wooly, mine are in magazine sized plastic comic bags with boards and then in magazine sized comic cardboard boxes. :) And they are in # order.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2009 :  23:02:39  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another 'bag' option, if you're looking at long term storage (i.e. not going to keep going to them to look stuff up), check into a 'food-saver' type of vacuum device. Many have 'bags on a roll' that can be cut and sealed to a chosen size and it keeps you books air-tight.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2009 :  01:03:06  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

Like Wooly, mine are in magazine sized plastic comic bags with boards and then in magazine sized comic cardboard boxes. :) And they are in # order.

Same as Wooly and Kuje. Especially the earliest issues I have -- some of which are in a severe state of disrepair because they were second [and sometimes third-] hand issues.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2009 :  13:40:50  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lying on the floor randomly in front of the toilet for easy access during "business" hours.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2009 :  14:08:39  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
external hard drive oh, you meant before the change to DDI. The ones I do still have are boxed and in numerical order.
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2009 :  23:50:19  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the many suggestions!

* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
Go to Top of Page

coach
Senior Scribe

USA
479 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2009 :  16:06:14  Show Profile Send coach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
1) build a library in your house

2) make 5 sections with seven angled shelves on each section with a 1 inch lip

3) bag/board them in magazine sized bags

4) make sure shelves not in direct sunlight

5) then keep adding them to your shelves as WotC keeps putting them out monthly for it's dedicated fanbase

I did all of the above except #5, and I have a shelf and a half left

Bloodstone Lands Sage

Edited by - coach on 11 Aug 2009 16:08:20
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000