Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 I got Divine power
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Foxhelm
Senior Scribe

Canada
592 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2009 :  17:39:14  Show Profile Send Foxhelm a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Got the book today and am reading it off and on. Finished Avengers and working on Cleric.

Ed Greenwood! The Solution... and Cause of all the Realms Problems!

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2009 :  18:15:57  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lucky you! I can't wait to see it!

My Realms novel, Sandstorm, is now available for ordering.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2009 :  00:59:45  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm actually a little tempted by this source. One of my PCs at the moment is having problems drumming up ideas for his next divine-worshipping character. And he is a fan of 4e, so it might be worth taking a look at the tome.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Foxhelm
Senior Scribe

Canada
592 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2009 :  02:23:58  Show Profile Send Foxhelm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually might be a few things useful for the realms, like the Avatar Epic Destiny where you become a living vessel for not only your god but their portfolio.

Death (Kel), Freedom (Lliira), Hope (Lathander if e still exists), Justice (Tyr, Torm), Life (Silvanus, Chauntea), Storms (Gruumish/Talos), War (Tempus, Red Knight, Gargos);

All Avatars based on the Domains.

I am still reading, and yet trying to answer questions. I'll have to look over it again for realms specific

Update: Avatar are like Proxies, but more portfolio based then the previous Planescape versions.

Edited by - Foxhelm on 15 Jul 2009 02:36:23
Go to Top of Page

Tasker Daze
Seeker

84 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2009 :  05:07:00  Show Profile Send Tasker Daze a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So in the Forgotten Realms, Chosen were a problem. And this was because they were somewhere between avatars and mortals.

Now they have rules for becoming an avatar... And since it's Core, you can do it in the Realms.

Chosen NPCs were a problem, but avatar PCs are perfectly acceptable.

Does this make anyone else's brain hurt?

Edited by - Tasker Daze on 15 Jul 2009 05:07:34
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2009 :  05:48:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Epic destinies are specifically designed to remove PCs from play by level 30; A 4e Chosen or Avatar won't be around to police a post-Spellplague Realms.

I don't necessarily agree with it, but that's how it works.
Go to Top of Page

Foxhelm
Senior Scribe

Canada
592 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2009 :  13:05:17  Show Profile Send Foxhelm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tasker Daze

So in the Forgotten Realms, Chosen were a problem. And this was because they were somewhere between avatars and mortals.

Now they have rules for becoming an avatar... And since it's Core, you can do it in the Realms.

Chosen is a Epic Destiny in Both Forgotten Realms Player Guide (I believe) and in Divine Power (Chosen for Core deities).

Go to Top of Page

Tasker Daze
Seeker

84 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2009 :  13:41:04  Show Profile Send Tasker Daze a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Foxhelm

quote:

Chosen is a Epic Destiny in Both Forgotten Realms Player Guide (I believe) and in Divine Power (Chosen for Core deities).

Eh, same difference. What was supposedly a problem is now an option.

Go to Top of Page

Mr_Miscellany
Senior Scribe

545 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2009 :  20:40:14  Show Profile Send Mr_Miscellany a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Comparing the Chosen (a set of overpowered NPCS) to an Epic Destiny for regular characters and then calling them the same thing is, well, absurd.

:::::::::::::::::::

So, Foxhelm, anything else of worthy note or interest in the book?
Go to Top of Page

Tasker Daze
Seeker

84 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2009 :  21:04:44  Show Profile Send Tasker Daze a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr_Miscellany

Comparing the Chosen (a set of overpowered NPCS) to an Epic Destiny for regular characters and then calling them the same thing is, well, absurd.

You're right. Avatars are much more powerful than Chosen. And now regular PCs can have that kind of power... That is utterly absurd. That's just as absurd that the official schtick of "these characters were too powerful and unbalancing, but it's not at all unbalancing for you to have more power than anything short of a deity!"

The parade of absurdities continues!

Edited by - Tasker Daze on 21 Jul 2009 21:05:43
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2009 :  21:40:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

You're right. Avatars are much more powerful than Chosen. And now regular PCs can have that kind of power... That is utterly absurd. That's just as absurd that the official schtick of "these characters were too powerful and unbalancing, but it's not at all unbalancing for you to have more power than anything short of a deity!"

The Avatar of Death preview is fairly explicit about the relationship of the Avatar epic destinies, describing them as mortal shells and vessels for the deity. In 3e terms, these are the rank 0 or 1 shards that a deity could create (I can't remember exactly their names right now, and I don't have much of an interest in poking around for it.) In Realms terms, these avatars are comparable to the Chosen and not on the same levels as deific avatars.
Go to Top of Page

malchor7
Seeker

62 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2009 :  23:19:30  Show Profile  Visit malchor7's Homepage Send malchor7 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I think there's a misunderstanding as to the design philosophy here.

To WotC, the "uber-NPCs" were over-powered and unbalancing, not the PCs. They decided (rightly or wrongly, as you decide) that having a bunch of superlatively powerful NPCs who could swoop-in-and-do-all-the-cool-stuff/save-you-when-you-messed-up/could-never-ever-be-killed-by-the-players was getting in the way of the campaign.

In this edition, they have made a concerted effort to put that power in the hands of the players. Only PCs can get these particular powers--the PCs are the ones who are supposed to be doing the big, epic, cool things.

So basically, the PCs are supposed to be *the heroes* of your Realms campaign. If the gods are going to have chosen, they're going to have the PCs become their chosen, not NPCs. If someone's going to become a demigod, it's going to be a PC, not an NPC.

Personally, I don't feel the uber-NPCs were getting in the way, so I think this was an unnecessary fix. But I see why they did it, and it is FAR from absurd.

(So let's get back to talking about the book!)
Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2009 :  00:14:39  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Saw on the August calendar that FR (and Eberron) deity domains will be in Dragon article currently scheduled for the 28th!

My main character is an Invoker of Amaunator, so I'm pretty sure the Sun domain feats he's already taken are going to be "retro-legal." ;)
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2009 :  12:40:59  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I think it depends on how you run your games, i.e. the role of the "protagonists"; if the game is all about the PCs and nothing else, then it probably feels absurd.

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2009 :  12:26:57  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So is it any good. I keep wanting to get it, but I also want to get the Eberron Adventure with it. I cant seem to find both at the same place. Preferably at a place where I can get a discount!

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2009 :  15:37:21  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think that they really make a good move to improve the paladinīs mark. It becomes very more balanced with the other defenders, now.

And the Avenger continues as my class of choice. Hmmm, an Avenger of Assuran (Hoar) with a lance will be very interesting.

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2009 :  05:09:08  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

So is it any good. I keep wanting to get it, but I also want to get the Eberron Adventure with it. I cant seem to find both at the same place. Preferably at a place where I can get a discount!

I have it, like it, and plan on using it. However, I found Martial power to be more useful to me. I dig playing rogues and rangers though
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000