Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 The Terrasque
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2002 :  06:05:41  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
A few questions concerning arguably the most powerful monster in existence....

First, anyone have any theories on its origin?

Secondly, how does everyone feel about the terrasque (besides terrified, of course)...? Do we like him (it) or not?

And thirdly, has anyone ever gamed a party that ran across and defeated the Terrasque fairly (as in no DM assistance or cheating)?

Just curious...

My latest Realms-based short story, about a bard, a paladin of Lathander and the letter of the law, Debts Repaid. It takes place before the "shattering" and gives the bard Arion a last gasp before he plunges into the present.http://candlekeep.com/campaign/logs/log-debts.htm

DragonTouched
Acolyte

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2002 :  07:51:19  Show Profile  Visit DragonTouched's Homepage Send DragonTouched a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is just a wild idea, but could it be a parting gift from the lord of murder? That's the kind of creature that continues a legacy of killing anyway. (You'd have to go back to when it first appeared, and I don't know lore that well. Since no one seems to know its real origin, the creature may even predate written history.) Heck, maybe it's half god - half (red)dragon. If I get any other crazy ideas I'll speak up.

<Leaves, mumbling incoherencies to himself>
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2002 :  09:10:32  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The tarrasque is not really a 'killing machine' (with killing as in killing of intelligent creatures). It is a creature that destroys just everything in its path. In that case, if it is related to a deity, it would be closer to Talos (the Destroyer). Then again, it might also be a beserk aspect of a nature power that acts like sort of a safety valve for all the pent of frustration of maintaining the balance of nature...

Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2002 :  11:28:15  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I cant say ive ever been a fan of the Terrasque. Id certainly never use it in a campaign, Its far too powerful a creature to ever warrant battling against, I could never see that there would be any enjoyment from setting out to confront this creature. Nothing but hours of dice rolling

Im not sure of its origins at all, as its a generic D&D creature I wouldnt expect it to be tied to any specific deity.

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"

Edited by - Lord Rad on 28 Sep 2002 11:38:39
Go to Top of Page

DragonTouched
Acolyte

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2002 :  23:11:30  Show Profile  Visit DragonTouched's Homepage Send DragonTouched a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What if it is a deity? Long ago, it could have manifested in this plane in order to punish its unfaithful followers. In its rage, maybe it caused so much destruction that it either lost all consciousness of itself, lost its godhood by killing its worshippers, or the other gods banished it to this plane for such embarrassing behavior unbecoming of a god. I have to agree with Rad that it's not a campaign-friendly foe.

Mumadar, how did I know someone would suggest it works as a balance-keeper for nature? Could be something to that theory...

Go to Top of Page

Rory_Lana
Acolyte

20 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2002 :  21:48:16  Show Profile  Visit Rory_Lana's Homepage Send Rory_Lana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I unfortunately have encounter this beast in a quest. In fact it was my first time to play ever. The DM wasn't in a good mood or something, but my character died almost instantly, but not by the terrasque. I was killed by a fellow player who missed horribly with her lighting bolt. I'm not a fan of the tarrasque either, it is almost impossible to beat, even with epic characters.
As of it's comeing to be I've heard the it was created by the gods. The gods were so terrified of it they only made one. If you think about it the chances of running into "it" are slim. I'm not complaining...I never want to loose my characters to it again.

Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2002 :  09:47:39  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DragonTouched

Mumadar, how did I know someone would suggest it works as a balance-keeper for nature? Could be something to that theory...

Dunno, telepathy?

I'd use a tarrasque in my campaign. But more as a bedtime, monster-in-the-closet-type feature. A myth, a source for a quest, that type of use. I don't think I'd ever actually use the 'real' monster.
Go to Top of Page

The Great Drizzt
Learned Scribe

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2002 :  09:33:35  Show Profile  Visit The Great Drizzt's Homepage Send The Great Drizzt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Way too powerfull, even for my group I play with, all lvl 15&16, and there is 5 of us.
Heres what I do know, theres supposed to be only one allowed on any plane of existance, and they have an INT of 1 or 2, so there not really killers, there too stupid, they walk in one straight line around the world(unless something interfers, like PC's)thats when they kill.
And yes they were in a campaign I've been in, we just saw it from a distance though(thank the gods thats all the closer it was)
The Great Drizzt

"Don't poke Drizzt, 'tis highly unsociable!" Drizzt Do'Urden -BG1
Go to Top of Page

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2002 :  20:26:09  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, what a great idea for a campaign!

"So, as you're leaving the tavern, you see a huge, orange-ish head peeking out in the distance....and it's headed toward Silverymoon...what do you do, wizard? WHAT DO YOU DO?!"

Seriously, though, I think it would be neat to see what low-level PCs could do to stop the terrasque, i.e.-diverting its path in a way that it does not attack them. Or, perhaps even raise its intelligence somehow and try to speak with it and convince it of another course...

Interesting...

My latest Realms-based short story, about a bard, a paladin of Lathander and the letter of the law, Debts Repaid. It takes place before the "shattering" and gives the bard Arion a last gasp before he plunges into the present.http://candlekeep.com/campaign/logs/log-debts.htm
Go to Top of Page

DragonTouched
Acolyte

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2002 :  06:35:16  Show Profile  Visit DragonTouched's Homepage Send DragonTouched a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just a thought: Increasing the Terrasque's INT may not be a great idea. Do you honestly want it to be proposing mathematical theorums and slinging witty insults WHILE it's eating you?
Go to Top of Page

The Great Drizzt
Learned Scribe

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2002 :  06:37:55  Show Profile  Visit The Great Drizzt's Homepage Send The Great Drizzt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, not a good idea!
The Great Drizzt

Go to Top of Page

Darwin Tenderfoot
Seeker

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2002 :  00:40:27  Show Profile  Visit Darwin Tenderfoot's Homepage Send Darwin Tenderfoot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can some one give me the stats on this creature I have never even heard of it. Sounds like its pretty powerful though.

Darwin
Go to Top of Page

Echon
Senior Scribe

Denmark
422 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2002 :  12:12:52  Show Profile  Visit Echon's Homepage Send Echon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Climate/Terrain: Any
Frequency: Unique
Organization: Solitary (wow)
Activity Cycle: see below
Diet: Omnivore
Intelligence: Animal (1)
Treasure: See below
Alignment: Nil

Armour Class: -3
Movement: 9, Rush 15
Hit Dice: 300 hp (approx. 70 HD)
THAC0; -5
# of attacks: 6
Damage: 1D12/1D12/2D12/5D10/1D10/1D10
Special attacks: Sharpness bite, terror
Special defenses: see below
Magic resistance: Nil
Size: G(50' long)
XP value: 107,000

Combat:
(terror) less than 3 HD are paralyzed with fear
4-7 HD flee in terror
7+ save vs. paralyzation or flee
(carapace) immunity to most combat spells (magic missile, lightning bolt, cone of cold etc). a 1 on a 1D6 reflects the spell
immunity to fire and heat
regeneration - 1 hp per round
+1 or better to hit
immunity to psionics

Ecology:
it is beleaved that in order to slay it, it must be reduced to -30 hit points followed by a wish

and then there is a lot of stuff about manufactoring shields and armors of its body and a few others things.

"If others had not been foolish, we should be so."

-William Blake
Go to Top of Page

Baron Sengir
Acolyte

Turkey
28 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2002 :  13:26:13  Show Profile  Visit Baron Sengir's Homepage Send Baron Sengir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hmm heavy fellow indeed.I know about the stats,but I don't want to believe that dude has an AC of "-3".I definitely don't want to defend myself against HIM(I say don't want to defend,because I have no desire to ATTACK that)but how can that big and slow thing has an AC of 3???
I also know that terrasque does not attack,but eats towns and that kinda stuff because he is HUNGRY.If you ask me,1 or 2 Titans would be enough to bring him down.And also I know a very strong party(they are really out of reach,lvl27 paladin,lvl25 lich mage casting true dweomer,a lvl 24 priest of Tyr.This party also gets help from a god named Ivan Argos because he BECAME a god in the game.he was in the party at the begining.That is a planescape party so if they can find the time,they can travel all the realms and kill 'em all.But they are usually helping ellisium(I don't know how to spell that)in the conquest to abyss...

If you were a dream,I would sleep forever...
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2002 :  14:21:26  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
<big grin> Oh them good 'ol days of negative AC's. Hehehe when I saw the Thac0 acronym, I realized that it was the AD&D version of the monster posted. When looking at an AC of -3 from a 3E point of view, the monster would indeed be an easy target and very slow moving.
Go to Top of Page

Echon
Senior Scribe

Denmark
422 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2002 :  18:53:45  Show Profile  Visit Echon's Homepage Send Echon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Baron Sengir

hmm heavy fellow indeed.I know about the stats,but I don't want to believe that dude has an AC of "-3".I definitely don't want to defend myself against HIM(I say don't want to defend,because I have no desire to ATTACK that)but how can that big and slow thing has an AC of -3???

Extremely tough hide. Besides, remember than when you "miss" it does not necesarily mean that you did not hit your opponent but rather that your attack hit the shield, the breastplate, was deflected by his/her weapon or in this case did not penetrate its skin.

"If others had not been foolish, we should be so."

-William Blake
Go to Top of Page

Baron Sengir
Acolyte

Turkey
28 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2002 :  16:14:49  Show Profile  Visit Baron Sengir's Homepage Send Baron Sengir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Baron Sengir

hmm heavy fellow indeed.I know about the stats,but I don't want to believe that dude has an AC of "-3".I definitely don't want to defend myself against HIM(I say don't want to defend,because I have no desire to ATTACK that)but how can that big and slow thing has an AC of -3???
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Extremely tough hide. Besides, remember than when you "miss" it does not necesarily mean that you did not hit your opponent but rather that your attack hit the shield, the breastplate, was deflected by his/her weapon or in this case did not penetrate its skin.

yeah you are right about the shield armor and that kind of stuff.But I used to have a centaur fighter in Dragonlance and guess his base AC?? !!5!! And he doesn't have any armor,(centaurs only wear armor made only for them)his skin is just as thick as a horse.But rulebook says that the base AC is 5.And centaurs are also counted large.

If you were a dream,I would sleep forever...
Go to Top of Page

The Great Drizzt
Learned Scribe

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2002 :  08:24:18  Show Profile  Visit The Great Drizzt's Homepage Send The Great Drizzt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Could the priest spell Creeping Doom kill it? It does 1000 points of damage, and I think if you cast the spell from a distance, then you can get a "Butt-load" of EXP for just casting a simple spell!
The Great Drizzt

Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2002 :  11:20:27  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Perhaps, though the creatures saving throw is most likely to stop it, if the spell can affect the creature at all.
Go to Top of Page

Shades
Acolyte

Georgia
39 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2002 :  19:43:14  Show Profile  Visit Shades's Homepage Send Shades a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Long time ago before I moved, the dm had a big quest and we had to fight a tarasque. Wasn't pretty the stupid thing rolled 2 critical hits against my thief, needless to say it wasn't pretty.
Go to Top of Page

sabre
Acolyte

Turkey
47 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2002 :  00:53:47  Show Profile Send sabre a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i got a feeling that a hand of god touched the matter of creating tarrasque but i rather not to believe it.Ý guess it was a huge spell experiment of an evil wizard searching for a "great annihilator"...
Ý am not terrified of tarrasque 'cause i believe how much the bigger
much easier to fall...Ýt is a good thing that big freak exists...it will remind pcs' there will be always a monster powerful than they are
Ý haven't seen one but if i happened to see one i am sure that it can be handled.(and if of course the dm wouldn't want to see us dead very badly)
Actually One of my friends has told me that tarrasque can be petted by an animal friendship spell(sure caster had many enchantments but i remember him telling me rules to do this)Ýf i learn or remember about it i will pass it through...

sabre
Go to Top of Page

Jamie Pearsall
Acolyte

1 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2002 :  12:06:17  Show Profile  Visit Jamie Pearsall's Homepage Send Jamie Pearsall a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I Think that this monster could indeed by a creation of the Gods, a failed experiment?
Go to Top of Page

Feanor_Karnil
Learned Scribe

USA
132 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2002 :  02:02:03  Show Profile  Visit Feanor_Karnil's Homepage Send Feanor_Karnil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The terrasque is a powerful creature perhaps even a deity itself. But I believe it was placed in FR for a reason, but not to be killed seeing how their is only one in existence (as far as we know). The terrasque is an ultimate creature but if someone managed to kill it I would not know wether to congratulate or kill that person. The terrasque shouldn't be killed, because it is mystical and mysterious like the dragons.
If anyone has any objections I would wish to hear them.

-Feanor Karnil The Moon-Star

We live in a bleak world my friend, where heroes are few and shadows stalk us around every corner.
-Mikai Daerni
Go to Top of Page

Artalis
Senior Scribe

USA
444 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2002 :  03:16:43  Show Profile Send Artalis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Feanor_Karnil Posted - 20 Dec 2002 : 02:02:03
----------------------------------------------------------------------
The terrasque is a powerful creature perhaps even a deity itself. But I believe it was placed in FR for a reason, but not to be killed seeing how their is only one in existence (as far as we know). The terrasque is an ultimate creature but if someone managed to kill it I would not know wether to congratulate or kill that person. The terrasque shouldn't be killed, because it is mystical and mysterious like the dragons.
If anyone has any objections I would wish to hear them.

-Feanor Karnil The Moon-Star

Killing the Terrasque should have no more significance than putting down a rabid wolverine. It's stupid and dangerous and it gets in the way of civilized peoples. It destroys for no purpose, it just does...

Dragons on the other hand are a race and a people. They have great intelligence and a history as long as the elves. They stay.

Toast in my book. Maybe I should put it on Nighteyes' list after the Ityak-Ortheel and Lolth.

Artalis

Email

Go to Top of Page

Salius Kai
Learned Scribe

USA
217 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2002 :  02:33:04  Show Profile  Visit Salius Kai's Homepage Send Salius Kai a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm generaly Chaotic Neutral, I couldn't really care if it dies or not. I'll leave it alone as long at it leaves me alone. As far as it being too powerful, I disagree. I think there should always be a monster out there more powerful than the PC's, just to give them something to work for. Its not something I would put in a campaign though, unless there were alot of high level PC's

"Welcome to these walls of infinite knowledge."

Salius Kai
Go to Top of Page

Saxmilian
Learned Scribe

USA
157 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2010 :  19:03:08  Show Profile  Visit Saxmilian's Homepage Send Saxmilian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I beleive there was a "Class" called the Waker of the Beast I think from one of the Dragon Magazines. Anyway they were a cult to wake the mighty terrasque. We battled them in one quest, defeating their leader "just seconds before completing his ritual..." The research we had to do, hearing tales and legends of the "mighty beast" was worth it...It reminded me of a scary bedtime story.
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2010 :  19:09:08  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I definately plan on bringing the Tarrasque in my campaign once the PCs get in the later Paragon Tier and in the Epic tier to have some real terrorizing fun.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Tyranthraxus
Senior Scribe

Netherlands
423 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2010 :  20:09:07  Show Profile  Visit Tyranthraxus's Homepage Send Tyranthraxus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
IIRC in one of the arcane age adventures the party has to kill a terrasque for a spell component for Karsus' Avatar.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2010 :  20:41:22  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm fairly certain my Ex was Earth's Terrasque.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2010 :  21:08:49  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ooooooh cold, so cold.
Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2010 :  21:09:50  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's a note:

Tarasque
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
For other uses, see Tarrasque (disambiguation).
Photo of a fibreglass model of the Tarasque, taken in Tarascon during the June celebrations.

The Tarasque is a fearsome legendary monster from Provence, in southern France, tamed in a story about Saint Martha. On 25 November 2005 the UNESCO included the Tarasque on the list of Masterpieces of the Oral and Intangible Heritage of Humanity.[1]
Contents
[hide]

* 1 Legend
* 2 Cultural impact
* 3 See also
* 4 References
* 5 Notes
* 6 External links

[edit] Legend
Painting of St. Martha and the Tarasque, attributed to André Abellon, in the Basilica of Mary Magdalene at Saint-Maximin-la-Sainte-Baume.

Legend reported among others by the Golden Legend[2] has it that the creature inhabited the area of Nerluc in Provence, France, and devastated the landscape far and wide. The Tarasque was a sort of dragon with six short legs like a bear's, an ox-like body covered with a turtle shell, and a scaly tail that ended in a scorpion's sting. It had a lion's head.

The Tarasque was said to have come from Galatia which was the home of the legendary Onachus, a scaly, bison-like beast which burned everything it touched. Some speculate that the story of the Onachus may be related to either that of the Unicorn or the Phoenix. The Tarasque was the offspring of the Onachus and the Leviathan of biblical account; disputably a giant sea serpent.

The king of Nerluc had attacked the Tarasque with knights and catapults to no avail. But Saint Martha found the beast and charmed it with hymns and prayers, and led back the tamed Tarasque to the city. The people, terrified by the monster, attacked it when it drew nigh. The monster offered no resistance and died there. Martha then preached to the people and converted many of them to Christianity. Sorry for what they had done to the tamed monster, the newly-Christianized townspeople changed the town's name to Tarascon.

The story of the Tarasque is also very similar to the story of Beauty and the Beast and King Kong. The monster is charmed and weakened by a woman and then killed when brought back to civilization. A similar idea is found in the myths of Enkidu and the unicorn: both are calmed by sending them a woman.
[edit] Cultural impact
The Tarasque, near King René's castle in Tarascon
A carved early Gothic column capital at the Church of St. Trophime in Arles, 14th century, depicting the Tarasque; it is one of several carvings here that show legends of local folklore as well as biblical figures

The Tarasque is featured on the coat of arms of the city of Tarascon. A festival is held every year there on the last Sunday of June to remember the Tarasque, as well as Tartarin, the main character of Alphonse Daudet's Tartarin de Tarascon.

A legendary marine creature reported to live in Vietnam's Halong Bay was also called "Tarasque" by the French who ruled the area at the time.[3]

The French military named a towed 20 mm anti-aircraft gun (53 T2) after the Tarasque.
Tarasque at a Corpus Christi procession in Valencia

The Tarasque is one of the statues of the Corpus Christi procession of many Spanish cities (Valencia,[4] Granada...)

There you have it!

If I were hasted I could take it out in one round!!! Do I need to point out how powerful my mage is!!!

Edited by - Nicolai Withander on 21 Jun 2010 21:11:52
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000