Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 The Terrasque

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Arion Elenim Posted - 28 Sep 2002 : 06:05:41
A few questions concerning arguably the most powerful monster in existence....

First, anyone have any theories on its origin?

Secondly, how does everyone feel about the terrasque (besides terrified, of course)...? Do we like him (it) or not?

And thirdly, has anyone ever gamed a party that ran across and defeated the Terrasque fairly (as in no DM assistance or cheating)?

Just curious...
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Saxmilian Posted - 27 Jun 2010 : 13:50:48
It was ridden into battle by a lich in the Forggotten Realms Comic #8. It was summoned with a "oddly-shaped staff" slaying multiple dragons. My favorite part (other than when the high-level mage pelts it with magic missiles that refelct back upon himself then curses himself for forgewtting that magic is damn-near useless against the creatures" is on Page 6 when Elminster and Omen are scrying the battle, they name the creature a Tarrasque and then say, "your in luck. There's only ONE of them."
SPOILER-- by and by, the creature is never really killed. When the lich is "killed" the Terrasque disappears. One character notes "one cannto slay a Tarrasque only send it back to its native land."

Personally, I've been tempted to throw that staff out there just to see what (and who) whould use it, lol
froglegg Posted - 26 Jun 2010 : 19:29:46
quote:
Originally posted by froglegg

In my Realms the Terrasque is, well he is the Godzilla of the world. A force of nature if you will. Not good, not evil he just is. In the campaign in which he appeared the Realms Lore was this. In every elven generation a female is chosen by Silvanus or Chauntea or maybe by the primal power of Abeir-Toril it's self. Sages so far have not been able to find out for sure and the Terrasque is not telling. It is rumored that she can understand the beast and is able to talk with it some how, and to also use her voice to sing soothing and calming words to still the creature. While she can not control the Terrasque she can suggest to it to take a certain course of action and the creature will normally go along. But it has a mind of it's own and from time to time it will still do what ever comes to mind regardless of what has been suggested by the (Xymor^zorquan which is Draconic also known as Old high wyrm and is best translated as simply this "My guide"). The Terrasque will never hurt or attack the guide ever. There is more lore but that will have to wait till later. Any how to make a long story short the heros had to find her before the zent's because Manshoon was thinking that the guide could be used as some kind of weapon for the Zhentarim. That was some good gaming!

John

He has come along ways since 1st edition.

John
froglegg Posted - 26 Jun 2010 : 03:26:49
In my Realms the Terrasque is, well he is the Godzilla of the world. A force of nature if you will. Not good, not evil he just is. In the campaign in which he appeared the Realms Lore was this. In every elven generation a female is chosen by Silvanus or Chauntea or maybe by the primal power of Abeir-Toril it's self. Sages so far have not been able to find out for sure and the Terrasque is not telling. It is rumored that she can understand the beast and is able to talk with it some how, and to also use her voice to sing soothing and calming words to still the creature. While she can not control the Terrasque she can suggest to it to take a certain course of action and the creature will normally go along. But it has a mind of it's own and from time to time it will still do what ever comes to mind regardless of what has been suggested by the (Xymor^zorquan which is Draconic also known as Old high wyrm and is best translated as simply this "My guide"). The Terrasque will never hurt or attack the guide ever. There is more lore but that will have to wait till later. Any how to make a long story short the heros had to find her before the zent's because Manshoon was thinking that the guide could be used as some kind of weapon for the Zhentarim. That was some good gaming!

John
Dracons Posted - 25 Jun 2010 : 04:24:44
I'ved used the tarrasque a few times in my game. Mostly as background flavor. There was a time when they found a deep cave while running from a really pissed off great wyrm dragon who's child was slain. (Yeah, took the idea from OOTS, however it wasn't the fact their child was slain, it was because the party took all the treasure). While in the cave it was very warm at points. They found undead that would attack them. A few times they found books telling of a great hunger. They swam in a deep ocean of blood that carried evil white ghosts that attacked them. Eventally they realized that they were inside the Tarrasque. (I made it a slight change in the fact the tarrasque changes whatever enters it's mouth into smaller parts, thus being able to swallow far more. It's curse. It eats and eats because it cannot feel full due to everything shrinking. As such, people do survive for a small bit. The digistive ezymeze take a while to digist.

That being said, in my FR, the Tarrasque is a ex mount of Malar. Talos stole it and made it so it can never be found by Malar. Talos felt that tarrasque was more fitting a servent for him then Malar. Malar eventally just forgot it.
althen artren Posted - 24 Jun 2010 : 21:54:47
"You are right...

There was absolutely no need to insult The Terrasque in that fashion..."

BWHA HA HA HA HA HA HA
Corwyn the Errant Posted - 22 Jun 2010 : 02:06:17
I've never used the big guy in my FR games, but if I ever do, I'll probably make him a legacy of the sarrukh, a weapon of mass destruction used in wars with the other Creator Races. One that, mayhap, escaped even their control. One that, even millenia later, awakens every dozen centuries or so to hunt down the last hidden remnants of it's former masters...

Hmm...ideas, ideas... :)
Nicolai Withander Posted - 21 Jun 2010 : 23:19:55
quote:
Originally posted by Fingal

quote:
Originally posted by Nicolai Withander

If I were hasted I could take it out in one round!!! Do I need to point out how powerful my mage is!!!

Lol! Given what I've read of your adventures so far, it would be even more impressive if you used some of your mad magical potency to enslave the beast before riding it into battle against a god! Now that would be a story to tell!

Thats a hell of an idear... Ill remember that one, if I ever face the big guy!
woodwwad Posted - 21 Jun 2010 : 22:29:00
quote:
Originally posted by Arion Elenim

A few questions concerning arguably the most powerful monster in existence....

First, anyone have any theories on its origin?

Secondly, how does everyone feel about the terrasque (besides terrified, of course)...? Do we like him (it) or not?

And thirdly, has anyone ever gamed a party that ran across and defeated the Terrasque fairly (as in no DM assistance or cheating)?

Just curious...

I've used this monster twice. It was used in the way it should be, as a force of nature akin to a natural disaster. The pcs saw it from a vast distance way & of course made sure to get far, far away from it. I think fighting & killing it, is the kind of thing that smacks of booty high school games. It is a creature that should IMO only be used as a plot device. When I used it, I used it as the child of a god & an elemental king of the earth.
Basil the Geek Posted - 21 Jun 2010 : 22:09:02
I once used the Terasque as the single male breeder in a “Reign of Fire” sort of fantasy apocalypse campaign about a couple of decades ago using 2e with the more traditional dragons being females and civilizations hanging by a thread during the eating and mating swarm. It was one intensely bloody and heroic campaign and they did eventually kill the beast before it disappeared below the earth to sleep another cycle.

All this talk makes me want to run that again, LOL.
Elfinblade Posted - 21 Jun 2010 : 21:55:49
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I'm fairly certain my Ex was Earth's Terrasque.

Hahaha! In fact, i too am aware of certain ex's who could fit that description
Markustay Posted - 21 Jun 2010 : 21:27:34
The French stole it

It is a Vietnamese monster
quote:
Originally posted by althen artren

ooooooh cold, so cold.
You are right...

There was absolutely no need to insult The Terrasque in that fashion...
Fingal Posted - 21 Jun 2010 : 21:22:35
quote:
Originally posted by Nicolai Withander

If I were hasted I could take it out in one round!!! Do I need to point out how powerful my mage is!!!

Lol! Given what I've read of your adventures so far, it would be even more impressive if you used some of your mad magical potency to enslave the beast before riding it into battle against a god! Now that would be a story to tell!
Nicolai Withander Posted - 21 Jun 2010 : 21:09:50
Here's a note:

Tarasque
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
For other uses, see Tarrasque (disambiguation).
Photo of a fibreglass model of the Tarasque, taken in Tarascon during the June celebrations.

The Tarasque is a fearsome legendary monster from Provence, in southern France, tamed in a story about Saint Martha. On 25 November 2005 the UNESCO included the Tarasque on the list of Masterpieces of the Oral and Intangible Heritage of Humanity.[1]
Contents
[hide]

* 1 Legend
* 2 Cultural impact
* 3 See also
* 4 References
* 5 Notes
* 6 External links

[edit] Legend
Painting of St. Martha and the Tarasque, attributed to André Abellon, in the Basilica of Mary Magdalene at Saint-Maximin-la-Sainte-Baume.

Legend reported among others by the Golden Legend[2] has it that the creature inhabited the area of Nerluc in Provence, France, and devastated the landscape far and wide. The Tarasque was a sort of dragon with six short legs like a bear's, an ox-like body covered with a turtle shell, and a scaly tail that ended in a scorpion's sting. It had a lion's head.

The Tarasque was said to have come from Galatia which was the home of the legendary Onachus, a scaly, bison-like beast which burned everything it touched. Some speculate that the story of the Onachus may be related to either that of the Unicorn or the Phoenix. The Tarasque was the offspring of the Onachus and the Leviathan of biblical account; disputably a giant sea serpent.

The king of Nerluc had attacked the Tarasque with knights and catapults to no avail. But Saint Martha found the beast and charmed it with hymns and prayers, and led back the tamed Tarasque to the city. The people, terrified by the monster, attacked it when it drew nigh. The monster offered no resistance and died there. Martha then preached to the people and converted many of them to Christianity. Sorry for what they had done to the tamed monster, the newly-Christianized townspeople changed the town's name to Tarascon.

The story of the Tarasque is also very similar to the story of Beauty and the Beast and King Kong. The monster is charmed and weakened by a woman and then killed when brought back to civilization. A similar idea is found in the myths of Enkidu and the unicorn: both are calmed by sending them a woman.
[edit] Cultural impact
The Tarasque, near King René's castle in Tarascon
A carved early Gothic column capital at the Church of St. Trophime in Arles, 14th century, depicting the Tarasque; it is one of several carvings here that show legends of local folklore as well as biblical figures

The Tarasque is featured on the coat of arms of the city of Tarascon. A festival is held every year there on the last Sunday of June to remember the Tarasque, as well as Tartarin, the main character of Alphonse Daudet's Tartarin de Tarascon.

A legendary marine creature reported to live in Vietnam's Halong Bay was also called "Tarasque" by the French who ruled the area at the time.[3]

The French military named a towed 20 mm anti-aircraft gun (53 T2) after the Tarasque.
Tarasque at a Corpus Christi procession in Valencia

The Tarasque is one of the statues of the Corpus Christi procession of many Spanish cities (Valencia,[4] Granada...)

There you have it!

althen artren Posted - 21 Jun 2010 : 21:08:49
ooooooh cold, so cold.
Markustay Posted - 21 Jun 2010 : 20:41:22
I'm fairly certain my Ex was Earth's Terrasque.
Tyranthraxus Posted - 21 Jun 2010 : 20:09:07
IIRC in one of the arcane age adventures the party has to kill a terrasque for a spell component for Karsus' Avatar.
Alisttair Posted - 21 Jun 2010 : 19:09:08
I definately plan on bringing the Tarrasque in my campaign once the PCs get in the later Paragon Tier and in the Epic tier to have some real terrorizing fun.
Saxmilian Posted - 21 Jun 2010 : 19:03:08
I beleive there was a "Class" called the Waker of the Beast I think from one of the Dragon Magazines. Anyway they were a cult to wake the mighty terrasque. We battled them in one quest, defeating their leader "just seconds before completing his ritual..." The research we had to do, hearing tales and legends of the "mighty beast" was worth it...It reminded me of a scary bedtime story.
Salius Kai Posted - 21 Dec 2002 : 02:33:04
I'm generaly Chaotic Neutral, I couldn't really care if it dies or not. I'll leave it alone as long at it leaves me alone. As far as it being too powerful, I disagree. I think there should always be a monster out there more powerful than the PC's, just to give them something to work for. Its not something I would put in a campaign though, unless there were alot of high level PC's
Artalis Posted - 20 Dec 2002 : 03:16:43
Feanor_Karnil Posted - 20 Dec 2002 : 02:02:03
----------------------------------------------------------------------
The terrasque is a powerful creature perhaps even a deity itself. But I believe it was placed in FR for a reason, but not to be killed seeing how their is only one in existence (as far as we know). The terrasque is an ultimate creature but if someone managed to kill it I would not know wether to congratulate or kill that person. The terrasque shouldn't be killed, because it is mystical and mysterious like the dragons.
If anyone has any objections I would wish to hear them.

-Feanor Karnil The Moon-Star

Killing the Terrasque should have no more significance than putting down a rabid wolverine. It's stupid and dangerous and it gets in the way of civilized peoples. It destroys for no purpose, it just does...

Dragons on the other hand are a race and a people. They have great intelligence and a history as long as the elves. They stay.

Toast in my book. Maybe I should put it on Nighteyes' list after the Ityak-Ortheel and Lolth.
Feanor_Karnil Posted - 20 Dec 2002 : 02:02:03
The terrasque is a powerful creature perhaps even a deity itself. But I believe it was placed in FR for a reason, but not to be killed seeing how their is only one in existence (as far as we know). The terrasque is an ultimate creature but if someone managed to kill it I would not know wether to congratulate or kill that person. The terrasque shouldn't be killed, because it is mystical and mysterious like the dragons.
If anyone has any objections I would wish to hear them.

-Feanor Karnil The Moon-Star
Jamie Pearsall Posted - 19 Dec 2002 : 12:06:17
I Think that this monster could indeed by a creation of the Gods, a failed experiment?
sabre Posted - 14 Dec 2002 : 00:53:47
i got a feeling that a hand of god touched the matter of creating tarrasque but i rather not to believe it.Ý guess it was a huge spell experiment of an evil wizard searching for a "great annihilator"...
Ý am not terrified of tarrasque 'cause i believe how much the bigger
much easier to fall...Ýt is a good thing that big freak exists...it will remind pcs' there will be always a monster powerful than they are
Ý haven't seen one but if i happened to see one i am sure that it can be handled.(and if of course the dm wouldn't want to see us dead very badly)
Actually One of my friends has told me that tarrasque can be petted by an animal friendship spell(sure caster had many enchantments but i remember him telling me rules to do this)Ýf i learn or remember about it i will pass it through...
Shades Posted - 18 Nov 2002 : 19:43:14
Long time ago before I moved, the dm had a big quest and we had to fight a tarasque. Wasn't pretty the stupid thing rolled 2 critical hits against my thief, needless to say it wasn't pretty.
Mumadar Ibn Huzal Posted - 18 Nov 2002 : 11:20:27
Perhaps, though the creatures saving throw is most likely to stop it, if the spell can affect the creature at all.
The Great Drizzt Posted - 18 Nov 2002 : 08:24:18
Could the priest spell Creeping Doom kill it? It does 1000 points of damage, and I think if you cast the spell from a distance, then you can get a "Butt-load" of EXP for just casting a simple spell!
The Great Drizzt
Baron Sengir Posted - 16 Nov 2002 : 16:14:49
quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Baron Sengir

hmm heavy fellow indeed.I know about the stats,but I don't want to believe that dude has an AC of "-3".I definitely don't want to defend myself against HIM(I say don't want to defend,because I have no desire to ATTACK that)but how can that big and slow thing has an AC of -3???
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Extremely tough hide. Besides, remember than when you "miss" it does not necesarily mean that you did not hit your opponent but rather that your attack hit the shield, the breastplate, was deflected by his/her weapon or in this case did not penetrate its skin.

yeah you are right about the shield armor and that kind of stuff.But I used to have a centaur fighter in Dragonlance and guess his base AC?? !!5!! And he doesn't have any armor,(centaurs only wear armor made only for them)his skin is just as thick as a horse.But rulebook says that the base AC is 5.And centaurs are also counted large.
Echon Posted - 15 Nov 2002 : 18:53:45
quote:
Originally posted by Baron Sengir

hmm heavy fellow indeed.I know about the stats,but I don't want to believe that dude has an AC of "-3".I definitely don't want to defend myself against HIM(I say don't want to defend,because I have no desire to ATTACK that)but how can that big and slow thing has an AC of -3???

Extremely tough hide. Besides, remember than when you "miss" it does not necesarily mean that you did not hit your opponent but rather that your attack hit the shield, the breastplate, was deflected by his/her weapon or in this case did not penetrate its skin.
Mumadar Ibn Huzal Posted - 15 Nov 2002 : 14:21:26
<big grin> Oh them good 'ol days of negative AC's. Hehehe when I saw the Thac0 acronym, I realized that it was the AD&D version of the monster posted. When looking at an AC of -3 from a 3E point of view, the monster would indeed be an easy target and very slow moving.
Baron Sengir Posted - 15 Nov 2002 : 13:26:13
hmm heavy fellow indeed.I know about the stats,but I don't want to believe that dude has an AC of "-3".I definitely don't want to defend myself against HIM(I say don't want to defend,because I have no desire to ATTACK that)but how can that big and slow thing has an AC of 3???
I also know that terrasque does not attack,but eats towns and that kinda stuff because he is HUNGRY.If you ask me,1 or 2 Titans would be enough to bring him down.And also I know a very strong party(they are really out of reach,lvl27 paladin,lvl25 lich mage casting true dweomer,a lvl 24 priest of Tyr.This party also gets help from a god named Ivan Argos because he BECAME a god in the game.he was in the party at the begining.That is a planescape party so if they can find the time,they can travel all the realms and kill 'em all.But they are usually helping ellisium(I don't know how to spell that)in the conquest to abyss...

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000