Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Spells that didn't get a 3e reprint [x-1368]
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sylrae
Learned Scribe

Canada
313 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2010 :  21:22:28  Show Profile Send Sylrae a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I'm sure there are alot of them.

Can anyone give me a list + sources so I can convert them over?

Sylrae's Forgotten Realms Fan-Lore Index, with public commenting access to make for easier improvement (WIP)

Edited by - Sylrae on 26 Jun 2010 13:09:46

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2010 :  15:05:32  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You mean 1E spells that didn't get remade for 2E or 2E spells that didnt get remade for 3E?????

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Sylrae
Learned Scribe

Canada
313 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2010 :  15:19:07  Show Profile Send Sylrae a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah. Both, but only the ones in FR sources, or referenced in FR sources.

Sylrae's Forgotten Realms Fan-Lore Index, with public commenting access to make for easier improvement (WIP)
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2010 :  17:36:55  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do you have access to the 2E Wizard's Spell Compendiums (vol.1-4)?
or the 3E Spell Compendium?

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Sylrae
Learned Scribe

Canada
313 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2010 :  00:07:36  Show Profile Send Sylrae a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah. I have the 2e and 3e spell compendiums in my house, though I've never actually looked through the 2e spell compendiums. In the 2e Spell Compendiums, they list what book the spells were originally published in?

I've got a list of all the 3e FR Spells, and the ones that were updated in the 3e spell compendium. (Compiled myself), but I don't have a 2e version of that list, and where I want to ignore non-fr sources, I don't want to convert ALL the 2e spells.

Edited by - Sylrae on 22 Jun 2010 02:24:54
Go to Top of Page

Brace Cormaeril
Learned Scribe

294 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2010 :  06:36:06  Show Profile  Visit Brace Cormaeril's Homepage Send Brace Cormaeril a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You'll want to get to work on "Pages from the Mages", "Secrets of the Magister", and "The Seven Sisters", to start.

The Silver Fire's Blade: A Novella in Nine Parts, Available Soon, in the Adventuring Forum!
Go to Top of Page

Razz
Senior Scribe

USA
749 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2010 :  23:54:48  Show Profile Send Razz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is one spell I am surprised 3E never brought back, as it would have been very useful. It was in Tome of Magic, called Transfer Enchantment I believe. A spell that transferred the magic of one item to another. It would've been great for anyone trying to take their +2 gloves of Dexterity and placing them into a belt, or taking that +5 vorpal longsword and transferring it into a greataxe.

Of course, they now have a ritual that does this in 4E. The nerve of edition skipping!

Anyway, that's the spell highest on my priority to try and convert to 3E. Haven't gotten around to it yet.
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2010 :  23:58:16  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One of my favorite spells from Baldur's Gate I & II was chromatic orb. I was very sad to never see a 3.x version of it.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Brace Cormaeril
Learned Scribe

294 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2010 :  00:34:14  Show Profile  Visit Brace Cormaeril's Homepage Send Brace Cormaeril a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One spell that would've gone far to eliminate 'power creep' as it pertains to wizards in 3e would be "Galanther's Gnostic Chain". Definetly one of my top three favorite spells in 2e; I don't believe that it ever saw a 3e conversion.

The Silver Fire's Blade: A Novella in Nine Parts, Available Soon, in the Adventuring Forum!
Go to Top of Page

Sylrae
Learned Scribe

Canada
313 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2010 :  00:59:01  Show Profile Send Sylrae a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Are all of these spells from FR Supplements? I believe Tome of Magic was setting neutral.

Chromatic orb is in 3e. it was in an FR book, and they used that book to implement it in NWN. (Pretty sure. I'll double check on that later.)

Edited by - Sylrae on 23 Jun 2010 00:59:30
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2010 :  01:12:23  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sylrae

Are all of these spells from FR Supplements? I believe Tome of Magic was setting neutral.

Chromatic orb is in 3e. it was in an FR book, and they used that book to implement it in NWN. (Pretty sure. I'll double check on that later.)

I don't have the book, but I do have a sneaking suspicion that Chromatic Orb was included in the 3e Spell Compendium tome, if I recall correctly from a previous discussion.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Brace Cormaeril
Learned Scribe

294 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2010 :  01:36:16  Show Profile  Visit Brace Cormaeril's Homepage Send Brace Cormaeril a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Galanther's Gnostic Chain, the original 'mage slayer', is in "The Seven Sisters".

Go to Top of Page

Sill Alias
Senior Scribe

Kazakhstan
588 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2010 :  06:43:52  Show Profile  Visit Sill Alias's Homepage Send Sill Alias a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Were the secret spells of clerical faithes reprinted from 2 ed like spells of Bane? He does have great knack for making such vile spells.

You can hear many tales from many mouths. The most difficult is to know which of them are not lies. - Sill Alias

"May your harp be unstrung, your dreams die and all your songs be unsung." - curse of the harper, The Code of the Harpers 2 ed.

Edited by - Sill Alias on 23 Jun 2010 06:48:50
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4430 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2010 :  15:25:34  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As far as the Chromatic Orb is concerned, they never made a 3.x version of the spell. Instead, they split it up into multipul orb spells (lesser and regular) that were touch attacks. The latter (or regular) versions had additional effects when the attack hit. Examples: Orb of Fire, Orb of Force, Orb of Cold [lesser], etc....

But I actually did a pretty good version of the 2E Chromatic Orb spell. When I get home, I'll put up a version of it on this thread.

Also, I got a lot of 4E conversions for FR specific spells such as Almanthir(sp?) Return and Halaster's Black Orb (or whatever the spelling was). Not at home right now so I can't directly look at them, lol.

That is, if you want any 4E material here. It's up to you but i'm willing to share
Go to Top of Page

Sylrae
Learned Scribe

Canada
313 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2010 :  00:31:47  Show Profile Send Sylrae a Private Message  Reply with Quote
you can put up 4e material for other people if you like. If you could just list the sources, that'll remind me where to look so I can get the 2e versions and convert to 3e/pathfinder.

Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4430 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2010 :  03:35:19  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well my 3.5 version of Chromatic Orb looked like this:

Chromatic Orb
Evocation [Force]
Level: Wiz/Sor 1
Components: V, S
Casting time: 1 standard action
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./ 2 levels)
Target: 1 creature
Duration: See text
Saving throw: See text
Spell resistance: Yes

This spell causes a 4-inch diameter sphere of swirling colors to appear in the casters hand. When thrown, it flies unerringly towards its target. The effects the orb has on its target vary with the level of the caster who cast the spell. A 1st sphere deals 1d4 damage and blinds its target for 1 round. A 2nd level sphere deals 1d6 damage and inflicts pain upon the target, making him slowed for 1d4 rounds. A 3rd level sphere deals 1d10 damage and sets target on fire, dealing additional 1d6 fire damage for 3 rounds. A 4th level sphere deals 1d10 damage and blinds the target for 1d8 rounds. A 5th level sphere deals 1d12 damage and stuns the target for 3 rounds. A 6th level sphere deals 2d6 damage and target becomes nauseated for 1d6 rounds. A 7th level sphere deals 2d8 damage and exhausts the target for 1d4 rounds. A 8th level sphere deals 2d8 damage and paralyzes the target for 1d6 rounds. A 9th level sphere deals 2d10 damage or petrifies the target.
A successful reflex save negates any negative effects of the orb, but still takes the initial damage.
A sphere’s level is equal to the highest level the wizard or sorcerer can cast at that particular time.
Component: A gem worth at least 50 gp.
Go to Top of Page

Sylrae
Learned Scribe

Canada
313 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2010 :  04:03:37  Show Profile Send Sylrae a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How do the different levels of sphere work? are they seperate spells, or do you just get the option to use the higher one (still using a 1st level spell slot)if you can cast spells of that level?

Edited by - Sylrae on 27 Jun 2010 04:04:55
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4430 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2010 :  11:45:14  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The level of the sphere (damage and effect wise) are based on what the highest level of spell you can currently cast. It still uses up a 1st level spell slot.

So for example- A 1st level wizard has Chromatic Orb prepared and casts it against an orc. The spell deals 1d4 damage and the orc is possibly blinded if he fails his saving throw. A few levels later, the same wizard, now 7th level, casts Chromatic Orb (still only using a 1st level spell slot) at a minotaur and the spell can deal 1d10 damage and blinds the target for 8 rounds. He can choose to do a lower amount of damage and affect if the wizards wants to.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000