Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 Any Word On When The 3rd Fiend Codex Will Be Out?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bladedancer
Learned Scribe

USA
149 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2007 :  17:08:10  Show Profile  Visit Bladedancer's Homepage Send Bladedancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Title says it all

Solarr Bladedancer
Mercenary For Hire
Master of the Ginsu Knives
They Slice They Dice They Will Cut through A Tin Can

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2007 :  17:15:04  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Didn't know that there was going to be a 3rd one.....

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Foxhelm
Senior Scribe

Canada
592 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2007 :  21:10:04  Show Profile Send Foxhelm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It just might be that it is easier to make ones for Demons and Devils then for the Yugloths. Demons got the Abyss for a stronghold and The Nine Hells is a demon fortress, but the Yugloths are spread across two planes in the Wheel (it's a little easier in the Realms as they control the Blood Rift in the Tree).

Both of the previous Codexes had a base plane for these monsters to include with the new fiend element. Lands and homes for the different fiend lords, which is another problems as it has been showing in some 2 ed work that Night Hags held some power over the 'loths.

If the third book would be made, they would need to dive deeper into the lore of the 'loth and enhance it for use. That will take time to do. Still, it would be nice to have books for all of the major alignment paragons. Celestial Codex does sound nice as well.

Ed Greenwood! The Solution... and Cause of all the Realms Problems!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2007 :  01:22:48  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

Didn't know that there was going to be a 3rd one.....

Indeed.

I remember Gray, myself, and a few other scribes talking about the possibility of a third Fiendish Codex when the first two books were originally mentioned [and how we hoped it would feature the yugoloths primarily], but I didn't think there was anything actually official about this. Especially so, since WotC's "racial books" have now moved on... publishing Drow of the Underdark for example.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2007 :  10:07:07  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I haven't heard any talk of a 3rd FC.

http://eytanbernstein.com - the official website of Eytan Bernstein
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2007 :  15:05:58  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So no love for Daemons?

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2007 :  19:20:55  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Probably not right away.

I just hope they don't start doing Elf and Dwarf books. :)

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2007 :  21:21:26  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SirUrza

Probably not right away.

I just hope they don't start doing Elf and Dwarf books. :)

After seeing what they did to the Drow in the new Drow of the Underdark I have to concur.

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Bladedancer
Learned Scribe

USA
149 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2007 :  13:23:43  Show Profile  Visit Bladedancer's Homepage Send Bladedancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Damn I have recently found Shemeska's Story Hours on the EN Boards(that is some fine writing he does by the way) and have been intrigued by the Yugoloths. So I was hoping they were going to make one for the them. Oh well eh?

Solarr Bladedancer
Mercenary For Hire
Master of the Ginsu Knives
They Slice They Dice They Will Cut through A Tin Can
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2007 :  22:35:36  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's certainly not impossible and I don't hear about everything in the works.

http://eytanbernstein.com - the official website of Eytan Bernstein
Go to Top of Page

Kiaransalyn
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
762 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2007 :  12:50:42  Show Profile Send Kiaransalyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by warlockco
After seeing what they did to the Drow in the new Drow of the Underdark I have to concur.

Is it as bad as I feared? I shall go and read the relevant scroll I'd been avoiding any spoilers but mayhap it might be a good thing to see what fellow sages say and spend my coin wisely.

Death is Life
Love is Hate
Revenge is Forgiveness

Ken: You from the States?
Jimmy: Yeah. But don't hold it against me.
Ken: I'll try not to... Just try not to say anything too loud or crass.
Go to Top of Page

initiate
Learned Scribe

Canada
102 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2007 :  20:10:10  Show Profile  Visit initiate's Homepage Send initiate a Private Message  Reply with Quote

SirUrza Wrote:

I just hope they don't start doing elf and dwarf books.

I agree, but only so far as core material, such as Drow of the Underdark, is concerned. I would absolutely love to see a Dwarves of Faerun, or an Elves of Faerun, or alternatively tomes along the same lines with mor graceful titles.

A third Fiendish Codex concerning the yugaloths would be neat, but I agree that, at least so far as can be seen from recent and announced products, the creature specific line of books appears to have moved on.

Go to Top of Page

Shemmy
Senior Scribe

USA
492 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2007 :  00:00:23  Show Profile  Visit Shemmy's Homepage Send Shemmy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bladedancer

Damn I have recently found Shemeska's Story Hours on the EN Boards(that is some fine writing he does by the way) and have been intrigued by the Yugoloths. So I was hoping they were going to make one for the them. Oh well eh?

Thank you :) Glad you've enjoyed them.

Who knows if there'll be a 3rd Fiend Codex. I've love for it to happen, but outside of some chatter on the 'loths over on Andy Collins's forum asking about opinions on them, and how folks would describe them, I haven't heard anything anywhere to hint that such is in the works.

It'd be difficult since the 'loths, while they've got as much material on them as the fiends of the Abyss and Baator, dominate a pair of planes, and contest for a third with the demodands(gehreleths). Would make for a long book certainly, and it would have to be focused on the fiends more-so than their planes in terms of content for it to remain cohesive.

I'm happy that I managed to work some tidbits on the 'loths into Dragon and Dungeon, but it seems likely that the 'loth article queries that myself (and others) had on Paizo's editors' desks over the past year or two years will probably vanish with the magazines unless WotC decides to pick any of those queries up with something on their online replacement. I'd be thrilled to write it of course, but I can only speculate on the chance of that.

Shemeska the Marauder, King of the Crosstrade; voted #1 best Arcanaloth in Sigil two hundred years running by the people who know what's best for them; chant broker; prospective Sigil council member next election; and official travel agent for Chamada Holiday specials LLC.
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2007 :  04:24:08  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Instead of a 3rd Codex, I would prefer a Book of Fey or a Book of Giants

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000