Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 Expedition to the Demonweb Pits
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2006 :  05:48:06  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I originally thought that this was going to be an adventure that was more or less an update of the "Queen of the Demonweb Pits" adventure from previous editions, but I was reading Wolfgang Baur's posts on Paizo, and it seems that this adventure is more of a planehopping adventure that deals with the Abyss and the Demonweb pits specifically.

He said that its mainly a generic adventure, though the drow city from the original adventures is the "default" drow city on the material plane that is referenced, but he said its not a critical place, as the planehopping aspect is the main crux of this. He even refered to the planar travel parts of the adventure as the "Planescape" parts.

At any rate, this sounds like it may actually be an interesing adventure to take a look at.

The Paizo thread can be found here:

http://paizo.com/paizo/messageboards/dungeon/generalDiscussion/expeditionToTheDemonwebPits

Edited by - KnightErrantJR on 13 Oct 2006 05:48:57

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2006 :  06:14:25  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds like more PS/2e cosmology lore is starting to slip through again into 3e... which is good.

I doubt I'll run this adventure itself, but if there's "lore" parts to it, it may be worth purchasing.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2006 :  14:05:39  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

I originally thought that this was going to be an adventure that was more or less an update of the "Queen of the Demonweb Pits" adventure from previous editions, but I was reading Wolfgang Baur's posts on Paizo, and it seems that this adventure is more of a planehopping adventure that deals with the Abyss and the Demonweb pits specifically.

It sounds like they are using the name to mislead old-time players into buying it if it's not a 3E remake of the original 1E series (a la Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil)

more tidings of the 2007 "the Year of the Drow"

but overall I agree with Sage, probably will have some good lore...and it's own miniatures line

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

- High Mage of the Arcane Assembly
- Lore Keeper of the Vault of Ancestors
- 3rd Son of the Lord of the Stand
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2006 :  18:45:35  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hope Wizards soon decides to release "army packages" with various minis of just one race. Then the mass combat rules in the Miniatures handbook would finally be useful...

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2006 :  15:12:52  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kalin agrivar

but overall I agree with Sage, probably will have some good lore...
Eh . . . I'm not too sure about that.

Generic adventures usually mean "generic" lore, so I'm not expecting to see anything campaign-specific here.

"Once upon a time the plural of 'wizard' was 'war'." -- The Last Continent, by Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2006 :  16:38:27  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, if Baur's involved, you can be almost certain he's dropped whatever PS-lore he was able to in the adventure.

Depending upon how much previously lore was used, will be the determining factor in my decision to purchase this module or not.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2007 :  17:27:00  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In general, after looking at this release in the book store, there are a fairly good amount of new "planar" monsters in this book, and some of them look pretty interesting.

Upon reading through the introductory material, I would say that it would be fairly easy to use this in the Forgotten Realms, though I haven't read through every encounter in it.

Spoilers for those that plan on playing through this adventure with PCs:

The introductory material has Graz'zt trying to convince Lolth to help him strike at Orcus and divide his Realm. This could easily be set after Orcus' return to control of Thanatos. Additionally, after Lolth refuses Graz'zt, the demon prince launches a campaign to discredit her based on the fact that she doesn't belong in the Abyss and is more concerned about being a goddess than a demon lord.

When I read this, I though that this sounds like a perfect set up for why Lolth, perhaps right after this adventure, would set into motion events that caused the Demonweb Pits to become their own realm, as it states in the adventure that she has grown tired of Abyssal politics.

Further more, one of the plot points is that Graz'zt is trying to get an aspect of Lolth to sign on as a member of his demonic council that is trying to rule the Abyss, and he mentions dividing her attention so that one of her aspects agrees while she is busy elsewhere. Its possible that one of her "aspects" being corrupted or destroyed plays directly into why Lolth would then be calling for her Yor'thae in the WOTSQ books, thus replacing one of her eight "faces" with Danifae.

I haven't read through the whole thing, obviously, but it seems like this could actually be used to explain a lot of what happened in the WOTSQ books.
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2007 :  23:32:39  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Knight, I'd daresay that it sounds as if inspiration for this adventure WAS drawn from the WotSQ series!
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2007 :  02:55:26  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OMG!

This adventure is amazing! Got it at my FLGS two days ago, and I haven't been able to let it down! it almost reads like a novel! There's so much I want to blab about now, but I don't want to spoil it for anyone... oh what the heck: one part of the adventure has you appear smack dab in the middle of the grand meeting hall of all DEMON LORDS!!! :D :D :D (i.e. and a meeting is in session!!!)

Highly recommended!!!

Edited by - Purple Dragon Knight on 04 May 2007 02:56:06
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2007 :  03:39:32  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And PDK (Spoilers for content):

Given that the aspect of Lolth that you can end up killing off would be the trickster (meaning that Danifae would be the replacement for this aspect), and that the Demonweb Pits are sealed off due to Zuggtomoy's assault, and the general breakdown in relations between Lolth and the demon lords, I really like the idea that you could run this as a set up for the Silence of Lolth.

Heck, if the levels lined up a little better, you could almost run this one, let the PCs rest and train for a bit, and then dive into COTSQ.
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2007 :  22:30:56  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Agreed!

I've been toying with the idea of having the cohort of one PC put an adventuring band together "to deal with that demonweb pit thing/adventure", followed by "CotSQ", while my higher level "regular" PCs could keep taking care of their Age of Worm thing... This way, the definition of my 'campaign' would extend to various high and low level partys, all working together on various issues...

Do the 'Exp. to Demonweb' "dates" (i.e. if taken as a precursor to the silence of Lolth) fit well with the "CotSQ" dates? wait a minute... yes! CotSQ's premise is that Maerimaedra goes down as a result of Lolth's silence!!! YAY!

Edited by - Purple Dragon Knight on 04 May 2007 22:32:38
Go to Top of Page

Kiaransalyn
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
762 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2007 :  18:53:32  Show Profile Send Kiaransalyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Once again, thanks to those who've bought this product and reviewed it for me. I'm going to place an order for it based on your opinions. Thanks.

Death is Life
Love is Hate
Revenge is Forgiveness

Ken: You from the States?
Jimmy: Yeah. But don't hold it against me.
Ken: I'll try not to... Just try not to say anything too loud or crass.
Go to Top of Page

Snotlord
Senior Scribe

Norway
476 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2007 :  19:19:26  Show Profile  Visit Snotlord's Homepage Send Snotlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I got this product some weeks ago, and like it so far, although I haven't had time to read it properly yet.

I notice that the levels (9th to 12th) suggests it might be a suitable follow-up to Expedition to Undermountain, and eventually the "Vampires of Waterdeep" series.

Has anyone any ideas on that? The levels fit, but it lacks a shared theme I guess.
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2007 :  22:23:21  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Snotlord

I got this product some weeks ago, and like it so far, although I haven't had time to read it properly yet.

I notice that the levels (9th to 12th) suggests it might be a suitable follow-up to Expedition to Undermountain, and eventually the "Vampires of Waterdeep" series.

Has anyone any ideas on that? The levels fit, but it lacks a shared theme I guess.

the levels and events also make it fit with the CotSQ mega adventure... sure, the adventurers would have an easier time in Szith-Morcane, but their resources would slowly drain down over time, especially in the wild Underdark, and I think the challenge would definitely catch up to them.
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2007 :  22:33:25  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Purple Dragon Knight

quote:
Originally posted by Snotlord

the levels and events also make it fit with the CotSQ mega adventure... sure, the adventurers would have an easier time in Szith-Morcane, but their resources would slowly drain down over time, especially in the wild Underdark, and I think the challenge would definitely catch up to them.

Not to mention that Szith-Morcane, if not approached properly with some tactics and strategy, is going to chew up an spit out a 10th level party, so a level or two extra shouldn't hurt the overall balance of the thing.
Go to Top of Page

Snotlord
Senior Scribe

Norway
476 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2007 :  22:36:48  Show Profile  Visit Snotlord's Homepage Send Snotlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm good ideas. Portals to the Dalelands should fit nicely into both Sigil and Undermountain, so exposition should not be much trouble.
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2007 :  22:47:43  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd put some time in between the adventures though, just enough for the "fallout" described in the end of Expedition to the Demonweb Pits to have happened, and to give Lolth a reason to begin her silence and pull the Demonweb Pits free from the Abyss . . . but that's just how I'd play it.
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2007 :  05:02:44  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

I'd put some time in between the adventures though, just enough for the "fallout" described in the end of Expedition to the Demonweb Pits to have happened, and to give Lolth a reason to begin her silence and pull the Demonweb Pits free from the Abyss . . . but that's just how I'd play it.

Yeah... maybe one or two RP-heavy game sessions in between, focusing on character's wants and desires, personal quests, etc.
Go to Top of Page

Darkmeer
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2007 :  03:31:02  Show Profile  Visit Darkmeer's Homepage Send Darkmeer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Slightly off-topic here...

I think Wizards of the Coast has infected one Max Atoms with a good lovin' of the Demonweb Pits.
Linky
I merely found it amusing that this appeared and has sooo many Lolth-ish references in the previews.

On-topic:
I'm actually happy about what I've seen of this adventure. I also like PDK's & KEJR's commentary... Nice & insightful, thanks guys.

/d

"These people are my family, not just friends, and if you want to get to them you gotta go through ME."
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000