Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 Dungeons & Dragons DVD Set
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2006 :  13:33:27  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
This series first aired over 23 years ago, I never would have never thought it would make it to a dvd collection. Yes, it is well worth the thirty bucks. Hell, after what I have seen so far I would have paid forty for it. Upon opening the box set I could immediately tell they put a lot of time, effort, and love into its packaging. Each disc has an original image of one of the protagonist of the show inscribed on it. The synopsis booklet goes far beyond a simple flyer informing a person what the title is of each episode on the disc. This booklet contains the air date (standard), title (standard), brief description of that episode (non-standard), an image of the episode just incase the simple paragraph doesn’t ring any bells (non-standard), superior background art and font (reminded me of some of the old Forgotten Realms supplements), a map of The Realm on the back of booklet. What tv dvd set would be complete without special features, this one has more than I thought possible. Some of it is even good. eg: the radio show of the never made last script And some of it is bad: the fan made “Choices’ video, almost worse than the memory of Cloud Bears. Also inside the box is a small hardcover 30 page adventure, containing stats for the young adventurers and their weapons of power. The character illustrations were good too, but I don’t remmeber Shelia having such, err, umm… Hugh Tracts of Land. As for the adventure….I haven’t read it yet.
The transfer quality is good. How good? I thought I was watching a cartoon show that was being aired for the first time. The quality doesn’t scream the 80’s like say GI Joe or Transformers did when they were remastered for the DVD. Even to this day, I have only watched the first season of Transformers once. I have not watched all of the episodes, so I can not say much about the writing. But keep in mind this was the early 80’s and the broadcast standards were suppose to shield our fragile little minds. One of the interviews with a writer Buzz Dixion brought up the episode with the Living Dead Knight and how they had to fight to get it made. After reminding the Exes the show is being viewed by kids who play the game and would not be afraid of zombies, vampires, and would except to see it, the Exes at CBS gave in. (If they were really worried about our state of mental health why in the hell did they make the Cloud Bears???? Awful Ewok/Care Bear rip offs) To see an example of the storyboards used for the episodes; all I have to say is the artwork is jaw dropping, if they could only have reproduced it for animation. From what I have seen if they packed the storyboards into a comic format, I would buy them.

If you are a fan of the series, because you viewed them when they originally aired or only seen them in reruns then you need to buy this dvd set. I know money is tight around this time of year….but support this product. Don’t download it, buy it. Bust Buy and Amazon have it for sell for the same price. If you can drop forty or more for a video game or D&D supplements, you can drop 30 for a cartoon series that a lot of people can enjoy in your household. If you never seen an episode, I encourage you to buy it. I am not going to say it is a ‘must have’ for you but I would think if you are reading this then you will enjoy it tremendously.

On a final note, I asked the question about the name of the D&D product that had the characters stats from the early 80’s. I got my answer on Disc 5. Nice to know I am not totally insane.

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO

dwarvenranger
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2006 :  15:16:17  Show Profile  Visit dwarvenranger's Homepage Send dwarvenranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info. I'm waiting for my FLGS to get my copy in. Should be here Friday.

If I waited till I knew what I was doing, I'd never get anything done.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2006 :  17:02:36  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I got the set yesterday, after work. I watched the first two episodes last night... Wow, cartoons have changed since the 80's! It was bad, but in a good way.

I used to have the hots for Sheila, back when the cartoon originally aired.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 06 Dec 2006 17:03:04
Go to Top of Page

Nokom
Learned Scribe

USA
109 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2006 :  17:20:04  Show Profile  Visit Nokom's Homepage Send Nokom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I still think its 'OK' but the stat book that came with it was a piece of junk..... Wanted to fall apart as soon as it came out of the pack. And I got the best buy version that came with a so called 'exclusive figure' which turned out to just be a piece from 'Knights of the Silver Dragon' .... *Sigh*
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2006 :  17:57:32  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nokom

I still think its 'OK' but the stat book that came with it was a piece of junk..... Wanted to fall apart as soon as it came out of the pack. And I got the best buy version that came with a so called 'exclusive figure' which turned out to just be a piece from 'Knights of the Silver Dragon' .... *Sigh*

Yeah, the book's quality did leave much to be desired... I'm kinda hoping they offer it as a pdf, later.

The exclusive figure was a surprise. It also failed to impress me. I was irritated, though, by the difficulty in removing it from the box. The adhesive damaged the cardboard for the boxed set.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2006 :  20:13:22  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wonder if I should get this just for the laugh value.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Nokom
Learned Scribe

USA
109 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2006 :  23:08:03  Show Profile  Visit Nokom's Homepage Send Nokom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have not gotten to play the adventure which was in the book, but I have read it. I may even make a NWN version of it. It seems to be pretty good.. Nothing like the book's bindining..
Go to Top of Page

Aglaranna
Learned Scribe

166 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2006 :  23:42:28  Show Profile  Visit Aglaranna's Homepage Send Aglaranna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wasn't born yet when the D&D series started. But I think they play reruns at 5:00 am...On Jetix, or something...But you have to use a crowbar to get me out of bed at 7:00, much less 5am!

"You can choose a ready guide
In some celestial voice
If you choose not to decide
You still have made a choice

You can choose from phantom fears
And kindness that can kill
I will choose the path that's clear
I will choose freewill." -'Freewill' by Rush
Go to Top of Page

dwarvenranger
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2006 :  01:07:53  Show Profile  Visit dwarvenranger's Homepage Send dwarvenranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm really enjoying these, they certainly give me a sense of nostalgia. I'd forgotten about dwarves and gnomes always being slaves though, makes it a bit unrealistic

If I waited till I knew what I was doing, I'd never get anything done.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2006 :  02:58:39  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Aglaranna

I wasn't born yet when the D&D series started. But I think they play reruns at 5:00 am...On Jetix, or something...But you have to use a crowbar to get me out of bed at 7:00, much less 5am!

That's why the gods of TV have granted us the miracles of VCRs and DVRs.

Go to Top of Page

Delzounblood
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
578 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2006 :  11:11:19  Show Profile Send Delzounblood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are plenty of copies of the full series DVD on ebay.

and T shirts of the characters!!!

Retro DND T shirts !!!! What next?

Delz

I'm Back!
Go to Top of Page

Besshalar
Learned Scribe

Finland
166 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2006 :  11:47:23  Show Profile  Visit Besshalar's Homepage Send Besshalar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think that about tops it there's nothing left to look forward to anymore !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Goodbye cruel world !!!

The large print giveth , and the small print taketh away.
-Tom Waits
Go to Top of Page

Delzounblood
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
578 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2006 :  15:01:58  Show Profile Send Delzounblood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Besshalar

I think that about tops it there's nothing left to look forward to anymore !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Goodbye cruel world !!!

This will top it!! again on ebay

"Level 1 Human" Baby grow complete with stats!!

I'm ordering one for my son

Delz

I'm Back!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2006 :  17:26:48  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Delzounblood

quote:
Originally posted by Besshalar

This will top it!! again on ebay

"Level 1 Human" Baby grow complete with stats!!

I'm ordering one for my son

Delz

It's also available from CafePress.

http://www.cafepress.com/buy/character/-/pv_design_prod/p_storeid.72527078/pNo_72527078/id_14263607/opt_/pg_/c_/fpt_

Go to Top of Page

AlacLuin
Learned Scribe

131 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2006 :  16:34:55  Show Profile  Visit AlacLuin's Homepage Send AlacLuin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just bought this set from Wal-Mart yesterday.

First thing I noticed was the packageing.
It was like a miniature "boxed set" from d&d past.

I hope my kids can stand the show :)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000