Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Book to Read
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

webmanus
Learned Scribe

Sweden
338 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2005 :  16:07:08  Show Profile  Visit webmanus's Homepage Send webmanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Poll Question:
Which book should I start to read?

I took a trip to SF-Bokhandeln in Stockholm and bougth some books.

Choices:

Evermeet: Island of Elves
The Temptation of Elminster
Elminster in Hell
The City of Ravens
Los Señores de la Estepa

(Anonymous Vote)

Link to my homepage: http://user.tninet.se/~bsu242v/

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2005 :  16:27:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
With the exception of Elminster's Daughter, I've never been a huge fan of the Elminster books. City of Ravens I've heard good things about, but it's a recent acquisition for me and not one I've read. The last book, I've not heard of -- at least, not under that title.

Evermeet, though... That's a wonderful book, and one I heartily recommend.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

webmanus
Learned Scribe

Sweden
338 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2005 :  16:33:05  Show Profile  Visit webmanus's Homepage Send webmanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Los Señore de la Estepa ... Wooly, you need to polish a bit your Spanish :) The original title is Horselords, by David Cook.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2005 :  17:07:40  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by webmanus

Los Señore de la Estepa ... Wooly, you need to polish a bit your Spanish :) The original title is Horselords, by David Cook.

I took two years of El Español in high school, and promptly forgot most of it. It just wasn't something I used...

I did like Horselords, but it's not my fave book out of the Empires trilogy -- that honor goes to the third book, Crusade. Naetheless, my original statement stands: read Evermeet. It's a wonderful book, and it's among my top ten fave Realms novels.

Go to Top of Page

webmanus
Learned Scribe

Sweden
338 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2005 :  17:13:02  Show Profile  Visit webmanus's Homepage Send webmanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Wooly,

Yeah, I bouth the three books, but it took me some time before I started to read them ... and I started with Crusade :) I have then read 69% of the second book, and put in on hold ... What is wrong with me :)

Go to Top of Page

webmanus
Learned Scribe

Sweden
338 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2005 :  17:15:46  Show Profile  Visit webmanus's Homepage Send webmanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm .... Los Señores de la Estepa, this one, I did not buy in SF-bokhandeln ... folks from Sweden might be confused if I give the impression that it is possible to buy books in Spanish in the shop ... at least FR novels ... I would no mind though ...

Go to Top of Page

VEDSICA
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2005 :  17:23:02  Show Profile  Visit VEDSICA's Homepage Send VEDSICA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You have to read Evermeet first, for sure....

LIFE,BIRTH,BLOOD,DOOM---THE HOLE IN THE GROUND IS COMING ROUND SOON----BLS
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2005 :  20:02:41  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd go with Evermeet as well. Btw, how is the Stockholm-store in regards to the older FR-titles? The one in Göteborg tend to be out of them when I make my monthly visit.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2005 :  01:48:21  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It should be Evermeet.

'Tis a novel that many here, myself included, consider to be "required reading" for the Realms.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2005 :  02:33:18  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've only read Evermeet and City of Ravens of those, but both come recommended from this scribe.

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page

ode904
Learned Scribe

Finland
193 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2005 :  06:08:21  Show Profile Send ode904 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would say Evermeet. I'm just intrested in that island.
And if you have read Making of the Mage, then after Evermeet perhaps Temptation of Elmister and then Elminster in Hell
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6647 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2005 :  08:28:50  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I haven't read City of Ravens (although I've heard it's a decent novel) and I found Horselords a good read, but slightly lacking in FR flavor. The Elminster books are great for various reasons but Evermeet, as a stand alone in that line-up, is defintely the way to go.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Paec_djinn
Learned Scribe

173 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2005 :  09:59:17  Show Profile  Visit Paec_djinn's Homepage Send Paec_djinn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would recommend City of Ravens. I think Richard Baker is an extremely talented author who knows the realms and while this is one of his early books (before he made a name for himself with Condemnation), it is already a good read. It's humourous and there are many plots in one story and the concentration on each never dwindles meaning it's a more fun read.
Go to Top of Page

Faramicos
Senior Scribe

Denmark
468 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2005 :  16:27:54  Show Profile  Visit Faramicos's Homepage Send Faramicos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am a great fan of the Elminster books, but without giving away any details about the book, Elminster in Hell is probably one of the most boring books i have ever read... But the others sound like reasonable posibilities for a new book to read... So happy reading...

"When dragons make war, worlds can only tremble in the shadow of angry wings"
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2005 :  18:35:51  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Faramicos

I am a great fan of the Elminster books, but without giving away any details about the book, Elminster in Hell is probably one of the most boring books i have ever read... But the others sound like reasonable posibilities for a new book to read... So happy reading...

Boring? I LOVE that one one! The one I find boring is the temptation of elminster.

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2005 :  18:52:17  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Needless to say, while some things may be inherently boring, calling something boring almost always means 'I was bored', which is quite another thing.

I was not.
Go to Top of Page

Faramicos
Senior Scribe

Denmark
468 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2005 :  19:59:38  Show Profile  Visit Faramicos's Homepage Send Faramicos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OK... I will allow myself to refrace my post... I was quite bored by Elminster in Hell... I will make a poll to see what the general public thinks... But pardon my rash words on the book.

Go to Top of Page

Snotlord
Senior Scribe

Norway
476 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2005 :  20:16:01  Show Profile  Visit Snotlord's Homepage Send Snotlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Evermeet was ok. City of Ravens is my all-time favorite FR book so far. I have not read the Elminster books in question, but I suspect I'd go for Raven after reading those as well. In short: go for Ravens.
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2005 :  21:17:33  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

OK... I will allow myself to refrace my post... I was quite bored by Elminster in Hell... I will make a poll to see what the general public thinks... But pardon my rash words on the book.

You are forgiven, cutter.

Go to Top of Page

Melfius
Senior Scribe

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2005 :  21:47:38  Show Profile  Visit Melfius's Homepage Send Melfius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I picked Evermeet. It was quite entertaining.

Melfius, Pixie-Priest of Puck - Head Chef, The Faerie Kitchen, Candlekeep Inn
"What's in his pockets, besides me?"
Read a tale of my earlier days! - Happiness Comes in Small Packages
Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2005 :  01:50:04  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think Evermeet should be read first, for it is a well..must read novel. What should follow next would be the City of Ravens.

We have fostered trust, recruited loyalty, and gathered the faithful. We have trained thousands. Our legions can cover the land, fill the sky and travel through the darkness. We can hunt any and all that would deny our heritage. Now is our time, now is the time of the Dark Reign(Rain) of the Empire of Shadows.
- High Prince Telemont Tanthul, Lord Shadow
In a speech given to the citizens of Shade Enclave
At the celebration of the Shinantra Battle victory when he revealed that he was THE Lord Shadow of legend.
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2005 :  03:19:39  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Evermeet would be my choice as well... gives a great story and chronicles the epic struggles of the elven race on Aber-Toril.

C-Fb

Still rockin' the Fey'ri style.
Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2005 :  05:11:09  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It seems to me that Evermeet is the most highly recommended book to read first based on the poll results.

We have fostered trust, recruited loyalty, and gathered the faithful. We have trained thousands. Our legions can cover the land, fill the sky and travel through the darkness. We can hunt any and all that would deny our heritage. Now is our time, now is the time of the Dark Reign(Rain) of the Empire of Shadows.
- High Prince Telemont Tanthul, Lord Shadow
In a speech given to the citizens of Shade Enclave
At the celebration of the Shinantra Battle victory when he revealed that he was THE Lord Shadow of legend.
Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2005 :  05:43:32  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

...Elminster in Hell is probably one of the most boring books i have ever read...
Care to elaborate?

Simply calling a book "boring" doesn't qualify as a reason in my opinion. There has to be something about Elminster in Hell that you didn't find all that appealing?

"Once upon a time the plural of 'wizard' was 'war'." -- The Last Continent, by Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Faramicos
Senior Scribe

Denmark
468 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2005 :  15:16:46  Show Profile  Visit Faramicos's Homepage Send Faramicos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think that the long paragraphs of mind games where he fends of the demon by searching his memory and throwing all sorts of useless information at the demon is a pure waste of time. I was looking forward to a book where Elminster battled the hordes of hell and an ENTIRE book about it. What i got was a fraction of that. Most of the book is random and useless memories and not directly anything about "Elminster in Hell"... Agreed there are lots of interesting info in the memories seen with a DM´s eyes, but i was dissapointed as i had hoped for a book in HELL and not in Elminster mind... The start of the book where he arrives in hell is brilliant and i loved it and if it had stayed in that lane it would have been superb, but that isnt the case... Hope that is enough answer for you.

Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2005 :  18:28:07  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Funny how different people can thing, that may very well be exact opposite of how I feel about the book. A book dealing completely with El frying devils and battling his way back to the Prime in that fashion would to me be nothing but a complete, and utter bore-trip. A book where Elminster fends off said devil by feeding it memories of people he love on some way or another - worked perfectly and was read in one go.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2005 :  18:47:02  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Those 'random and useless' memories are the main story of the book. They're a map of how Elminster makes sense of the world and uses his knowledge and experience to live. It is, precisely, the point of view of evil that such memories are random and useless; the book shows that love and memory are the fount of human knowledge and strength, able to overcome evil and suffering. This is one of the main themes of the Realms, and Elminster in Hell is its most profound and forceful expression. You expected it to be lots of El spell-battling devils, but it's not the book's fault that it wasn't what you assumed.

Edited by - Faraer on 16 Aug 2005 18:47:34
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2005 :  19:34:15  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

Funny how different people can thing, that may very well be exact opposite of how I feel about the book. A book dealing completely with El frying devils and battling his way back to the Prime in that fashion would to me be nothing but a complete, and utter bore-trip. A book where Elminster fends off said devil by feeding it memories of people he love on some way or another - worked perfectly and was read in one go.

I agree completely Kajehase. I think this book really portrayed Baator perfectly(the funniest part is SPOOOOOOOILLLLEEERRRR when Halaster makes Asmodeus loony. It would be fun to know how hell is managed nowadays with the big boss being a bit wohoo in the head)

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2005 :  23:08:33  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
...And another thread is in the midst of a threadjacking. Let us return to the original discussion, and save the debate on the merits of Elminster in Hell for elsewhere.

Edit: In fact, there does exist an old scroll devoted to that particular tome. So, let's direct further discussion of Elminster in Hell to this thread.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 16 Aug 2005 23:23:34
Go to Top of Page

Faramicos
Senior Scribe

Denmark
468 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2005 :  11:41:42  Show Profile  Visit Faramicos's Homepage Send Faramicos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It is true that it isnt the books fault that it wasnt what i expected. But that dont change my feelings about it. I think they should make a book called the "memories of Elminster" if they wanted his thoughts shared... That just what i feel and i feel it is my right to feel so... But a good debate and i am glad to hear what you all thought of the book.

Go to Top of Page

Crust
Learned Scribe

USA
273 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2005 :  18:10:26  Show Profile  Visit Crust's Homepage Send Crust a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

Those 'random and useless' memories are the main story of the book. They're a map of how Elminster makes sense of the world and uses his knowledge and experience to live. It is, precisely, the point of view of evil that such memories are random and useless; the book shows that love and memory are the fount of human knowledge and strength, able to overcome evil and suffering. This is one of the main themes of the Realms, and Elminster in Hell is its most profound and forceful expression. You expected it to be lots of El spell-battling devils, but it's not the book's fault that it wasn't what you assumed.

Very well said, Faraer. The idea that El's memories of love and friendship were acting as a weapon against Nergal is very interesting. I also appreciate your point on how Hell is not just a place but a state of mind. That is shown very clearly in the novel. Very compelling.

"That's right, hurl back views that force ye to think by name-calling - 'tis the grand old tradition, let it not down! Anything to keep from having to think, or - Mystra forfend - change thy own views!"

Narnra glowered at her father. "Just how am I to learn how to think? By being taught by you?"

"Some folk in the Realms would give their lives for the chance to learn at my feet," Elminster said mildly. "Several already have."

~from Elminster's Daughter, Ed Greenwood

Edited by - Crust on 21 Aug 2005 18:22:28
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000