Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Book to Read

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
webmanus Posted - 14 Aug 2005 : 16:07:08
Which book should I start to read?

I took a trip to SF-Bokhandeln in Stockholm and bougth some books.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
koz Posted - 23 Jan 2007 : 08:13:23
I have only read The City of Ravens but I can't reccomend it enough. It is my favorite Realms novel. Great story, plot and characters.
atlas689 Posted - 29 Apr 2006 : 18:04:43
Evermeet!!! that book is SO good! trust me read that!
-Atlas
Alisttair Posted - 10 Mar 2006 : 13:50:09
True there are only few of the Elminster series novels that are good. Horselords in the Empires trilogy is great if you like drinking horse milk and getting chunks in there. YUM!!
Kajehase Posted - 29 Aug 2005 : 13:31:24
Like I said, it's not stated out right in the book, and until I've gotten the rulebook for it I can't really say so myself. Me I'd put him down as an Expert/Rogue/Psionic of some kind.
khorne Posted - 29 Aug 2005 : 09:07:15
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

quote:
Originally posted by webmanus

OK, thanks. But, one question. Are the psionics kind of humans with levels in classes such as Psion and Psychich Warrior, or are the psionics yuan-ti like creatures? I would like to read a novel about a human Psion or Psychich Warrior.

/Web

If you take a second trip to SF-bokhandeln and pick up Venom's Taste and Viper's Kiss you'll get just that (not that the class is ever stated as such - thank ye gods - and if they're out of them, tell them you know for a fact that their Göteborg branch has them in (well have had them in every time I've been there since a month after Viper's Kiss's release).

The main character in HOS, is he a psion or psychic warrior?
webmanus Posted - 28 Aug 2005 : 21:42:35
Perfect!
Kajehase Posted - 28 Aug 2005 : 21:01:31
quote:
Originally posted by webmanus

OK, thanks. But, one question. Are the psionics kind of humans with levels in classes such as Psion and Psychich Warrior, or are the psionics yuan-ti like creatures? I would like to read a novel about a human Psion or Psychich Warrior.

/Web

If you take a second trip to SF-bokhandeln and pick up Venom's Taste and Viper's Kiss you'll get just that (not that the class is ever stated as such - thank ye gods - and if they're out of them, tell them you know for a fact that their Göteborg branch has them in (well have had them in every time I've been there since a month after Viper's Kiss's release).
Smyther Posted - 28 Aug 2005 : 20:33:40
The House of Serpents trilogy apparently focuses on psionics in yuan-ti (but I'd assume from what I've heard that the psionics are also in humans).
The quote you were specifically referring to is RE the Erevis Cale trilogy. It is dark and has psionics (and I also believe H of Serpents is also dark), and I'm definately checking it out after a bit of Sembia action.
Don't know if I'll go fo HoS, as I've never really been a big fan of yuan-ti or that area of the Vilhon. If I had the money, maybe...
webmanus Posted - 28 Aug 2005 : 17:16:19

/Web
Tremaine Posted - 28 Aug 2005 : 16:23:32
Yep and there are very good fun Reads go and check em out if you like psionics
webmanus Posted - 28 Aug 2005 : 15:34:48
So, if I understand the following:
quote:
It is darker then normal in some aspects, uses psionics in the first two books actually, and well I can’t wait till the last in the series is out.
Then, psionics appear in Venom's Taste and Viper’s Kiss (House of Serpents trilogy).
webmanus Posted - 28 Aug 2005 : 15:21:18
Thanks Agetrion,

I have read Elminster: The Making of a Mage. However, I took a second trip to the bookshop and got one Elminster in Myth Drannor. So, with time, I think that I would go for that one first.

/Web
Asgetrion Posted - 28 Aug 2005 : 00:24:08
Well met!

IMHO if you already have read Elminster: The Making of a Mage, then I'd warmly recommend The Temptation of Elminster. Evermeet is also a must-read for any Realms fan
Paec_djinn Posted - 24 Aug 2005 : 06:15:09
I think Smyther was referring to Midnight's Mask, the third book in the Erevis Cale trilogy. If you were asking which book has them though, Lisa Smedman's trilogy features them.
webmanus Posted - 23 Aug 2005 : 19:39:32
Sorry, which books were about psionics?
The Sage Posted - 23 Aug 2005 : 02:42:46
quote:
Originally posted by Smyther

While not pertaining precisely to the poll, I was wondering about a certain 'Book to Read.' I've heard some great reviews of the Erevis Cale trilogy, including that it's a little darker than normal realms books (a plus for me), and that the author was thinking of including psionics in the third book (a big plus). I was just wondering if the trilogy can be read without reading the Sembia series, or indeed any prior knowledge of Cale.
Certainly, reading the most relevant books in the 'Sembia' series (with regard to Erevis Cale) would be your best bet. It is not necessary to read the entire series for you to enjoy the Cale trilogy, but it definitely makes the ride "more enjoyable".

As it is though, it's only really "necessary" to read Cale's short story in Halls of Stormweather and his first solo novel Shadow's Witness. There was also some fiction in Dragon that focused on Cale -- you might want to hunt down those issues as well.
Paec_djinn Posted - 23 Aug 2005 : 02:25:52
I would recommend the Sembia series to you. I don't think there'll be much trouble caused by reading the EC trilogy without the Sembia books but it'll definitely be a huge plus to read them also. This is because IMO, the Sembia series has to be one of the best series of books.
Josh Davids Posted - 23 Aug 2005 : 01:49:05
Smyther yeah you can read then without first reading the Sembia series, I did and I didn’t have a single problem loving these books.

It is darker then normal in some aspects, uses psionics in the first two books actually, and well I can’t wait till the last in the series is out.

Personally number one spot for FR authors is tied for me for Ed/Elaine and number two is Paul which makes me trying right now to track down the Sembia series to read more of his work. right now those are the only three authors that I *WILL* buy a hard cover book from no matter the price without ever waiting for it to come down.
Smyther Posted - 22 Aug 2005 : 19:30:47
While not pertaining precisely to the poll, I was wondering about a certain 'Book to Read.' I've heard some great reviews of the Erevis Cale trilogy, including that it's a little darker than normal realms books (a plus for me), and that the author was thinking of including psionics in the third book (a big plus). I was just wondering if the trilogy can be read without reading the Sembia series, or indeed any prior knowledge of Cale.
Perhaps this trilogy could also be suggested for webmanus to get and read.
Paec_djinn Posted - 22 Aug 2005 : 15:55:29
quote:
Get buying an get reading...

Exactly, I'm usually not much swayed by reviews and advise unless there's like a major hype about it (like Forsaken House). But nonetheless, I've got a list in my head of what are some of the potential books I would want to buy and if it's bad, it's bad. Life goes on. Obviously it'll be better if it was good but what's the fun in that?
Faramicos Posted - 22 Aug 2005 : 14:44:20
Agreed... We are in somewhat of a luxury-problem... With all the new and interesting novels being published, it can be hard to choose... Only one thing to do. Get buying an get reading...
hammer of Moradin Posted - 22 Aug 2005 : 05:39:57
I have to go with Evermeet given the choices. Not bad choices, its just that so many good novels have been released in the past few years!
webmanus Posted - 21 Aug 2005 : 20:16:31
Well, folks, it is Evermeet then. Actually, I am at the moment reading The Sapphire Crescent, and it is getting better and better. But, when I am ready with that book, I will you for that 490 pages long Evermeet. I will keep the poll open, to see how much Evermeet rocks over City of Ravens.

Many thanks to all of you. You are the best!
Ethriel Posted - 21 Aug 2005 : 19:49:35
Hmm...of those choices: Evermeet. However, it's not without its flaws. There will be some major lackings of closure.
As for El in hell..yes, I got the entire plot of the book and wouldn't have minded it if the characters were interesting to read or vaguely interesting. With slight alterations, all of them are practically the same person (The scene where Mirt asks the prostitute if she became aworking girl due to /loneliness?/ I'm sorry, that's sick)

Temptation is average and City of Ravens...can't give a good view on that
Wooly Rupert Posted - 21 Aug 2005 : 18:20:55
I repeat: let's stay on topic.
Crust Posted - 21 Aug 2005 : 18:10:26
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

Those 'random and useless' memories are the main story of the book. They're a map of how Elminster makes sense of the world and uses his knowledge and experience to live. It is, precisely, the point of view of evil that such memories are random and useless; the book shows that love and memory are the fount of human knowledge and strength, able to overcome evil and suffering. This is one of the main themes of the Realms, and Elminster in Hell is its most profound and forceful expression. You expected it to be lots of El spell-battling devils, but it's not the book's fault that it wasn't what you assumed.

Very well said, Faraer. The idea that El's memories of love and friendship were acting as a weapon against Nergal is very interesting. I also appreciate your point on how Hell is not just a place but a state of mind. That is shown very clearly in the novel. Very compelling.

Faramicos Posted - 17 Aug 2005 : 11:41:42
It is true that it isnt the books fault that it wasnt what i expected. But that dont change my feelings about it. I think they should make a book called the "memories of Elminster" if they wanted his thoughts shared... That just what i feel and i feel it is my right to feel so... But a good debate and i am glad to hear what you all thought of the book.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 16 Aug 2005 : 23:08:33
...And another thread is in the midst of a threadjacking. Let us return to the original discussion, and save the debate on the merits of Elminster in Hell for elsewhere.

Edit: In fact, there does exist an old scroll devoted to that particular tome. So, let's direct further discussion of Elminster in Hell to this thread.
khorne Posted - 16 Aug 2005 : 19:34:15
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

Funny how different people can thing, that may very well be exact opposite of how I feel about the book. A book dealing completely with El frying devils and battling his way back to the Prime in that fashion would to me be nothing but a complete, and utter bore-trip. A book where Elminster fends off said devil by feeding it memories of people he love on some way or another - worked perfectly and was read in one go.

I agree completely Kajehase. I think this book really portrayed Baator perfectly(the funniest part is SPOOOOOOOILLLLEEERRRR when Halaster makes Asmodeus loony. It would be fun to know how hell is managed nowadays with the big boss being a bit wohoo in the head)
Faraer Posted - 16 Aug 2005 : 18:47:02
Those 'random and useless' memories are the main story of the book. They're a map of how Elminster makes sense of the world and uses his knowledge and experience to live. It is, precisely, the point of view of evil that such memories are random and useless; the book shows that love and memory are the fount of human knowledge and strength, able to overcome evil and suffering. This is one of the main themes of the Realms, and Elminster in Hell is its most profound and forceful expression. You expected it to be lots of El spell-battling devils, but it's not the book's fault that it wasn't what you assumed.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000