Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Favourite Realms-novel in '04
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2005 :  22:05:04  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Poll Question:
Okay, so I'm curious, which was your favourite FR-novel first published last year?

Oh, and could those making comments please settle for explaining why they choose the title they did, rather than why they didn't pick "that other awfully bad book that doesn't deserve to be read etc..."

And yes, I know this doesn't include Annihilation. It's not because it's my least favourite - I haven't read it yet. One had to go, and going by the comments I've read about it here on Candlekeep I picked that one.

And I've no idea why there's multiple apostrophes in Elminster's Daughter and Venom's Taste, I've tried editing it, but they reappear anyway.

Choices:

The Two Swords (RA Salvatore)
Dawn of Night (Paul S Kemp)
Elminster''s Daughter (Ed Greenwood)
Extinction (Lisa Smedman)
Forsaken House (Richard Baker)
Lady of Poison (Bruce R Cordell)
Mistress of the Night (Dave Gross and Don Bassingthwaite)
The Rage (Richard Lee Byers)
Realms of the Dragons (various)
The Ruby Guardian (Thomas M Reid)
Venom''s Taste (Lisa Smedman)
The Yellow Silk (Don Bassingthwaite)

(Anonymous Vote)

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett

Edited by - Kajehase on 10 Jun 2005 05:38:59

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2005 :  23:08:29  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I quite enjoyed Forsaken House. I like the fey'ri, so it was interesting to see them in action. I liked the plot and pacing of the book, too. And I especially liked the fact that both the white hats and the bad guys were portrayed believably, instead of being utterly stupid and/or out of character.

I really enjoyed Elminster's Daughter, too, and will definitely buy the paperback when I have cash again.

The Rage was also really good and enjoyable, though I did have a bit of a problem with the number of exotic races represented by the main characters.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2005 :  00:56:05  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I vote Forsaken House, but Dawn of Night and Two Swords are right up there. I haven't had the chance to read all of the ones on that list yet -- in particular El's Daughter. Of that particular series, I'm on Temptation right now.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6648 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2005 :  00:58:46  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rich's "Forsaken House" just edged out "Elminster's Daughter" for my pick. It was so great to see another FR novel writer come up with a seamless, entertaining read solidly rooted into the FR bedrock. I'm eagerly awaiting the next book in the trilogy.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2005 :  02:33:35  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elminster's Daughter was my choice. Ed's grand work really capped the listing of my favorite novels for the past year. I know many will agree, but I've been feeling like this has been his best Realms work to date, and it can only get better with the coming of City of Splendors.

Following closely behind ED, would be Mistress of the Night. Not only did I truly appreciate reading a well-constructed and written Shar-based tale, but the amounts of Realmslore dropped into the novel sometimes made me feel like I was reading a sourcebook as well. I love it when source material and novel writing works so well together...

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2005 :  03:04:47  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Elminster's Daughter was my choice. Ed's grand work really capped the listing of my favorite novels for the past year. I know many will agree, but I've been feeling like this has been his best Realms work to date, and it can only get better with the coming of City of Splendors.

On the point of it being his best Realms work, I will heartily agree. I have never before enjoyed one of his novels the way I enjoyed that one.

And oh, yeah, I am very eagerly anticipating the arrival of the City of Splendors novel.

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2005 :  03:43:38  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
WTF!! It won't let me vote. Anyways I say Realms of the Dragons. Why? A multitude of stories based on Dragons, the most fantastic of creatures. And them finally not getting their tails handed to them. Properly protrayed as the beasts that they are. Excellent tales too.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Paec_djinn
Learned Scribe

173 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2005 :  04:29:49  Show Profile  Visit Paec_djinn's Homepage Send Paec_djinn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've only read Dawn of Night (you spelt it wrongly), Forsaken House, Mistress of the Night, The Rage, Realms of the Dragons and The Yellow Silk from the list. I'm starting Extinction even as I type this. And since I don't consider RotD a proper novel (as it's an anthology), I guess I'll leave it out (although I did like it).

But based on those which I've read, I'm going to go for The Yellow Silk. I had a long hiatus from realms books as I had budget problems and a change in priorities and after reading The Yellow Silk and loving every bit of it, I decided that I could put aside those minor priorities and budget problems. In short, it was a great book by a great new author.

Coming in close is Mistress of the Night and then Forsaken House. I felt Dawn of Night was slightly overrated and rather bland in setting (probably because it only took place in dark places - not used to those type of books).
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2005 :  05:32:19  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paec_djinn

I've only read Dawn of Night (you spelt it wrongly

Thanks for the catch, I was looking at the product page over at the WoTC-site. Guess I was hit by a one-second case of dyslexia.

Oh, and myself I voted for the Ruby Guardian, while I thoroughly appreciated Elminster's Daughter, Forsaken House, and Venom's Taste, it has been long since I've felt as worried for the main characters of a book as I did at the end of that one.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett

Edited by - Kajehase on 10 Jun 2005 05:35:39
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2005 :  05:40:56  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

WTF!! It won't let me vote. Anyways I say Realms of the Dragons. Why? A multitude of stories based on Dragons, the most fantastic of creatures. And them finally not getting their tails handed to them. Properly protrayed as the beasts that they are. Excellent tales too.

Did you press view results before trying to vote? I know that causes it.

Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Neo2151
Learned Scribe

USA
113 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2005 :  08:08:09  Show Profile Send Neo2151 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Personally I had to pick Dawn of Night. I just purchased El's Daughter yesterday (was waiting for paperback) so I haven't read it, but I know i'll enjoy it none-the-less. It took me a minute to really make a decision as I really enjoyed Forsaken House, Ruby Guardian, and both of Lisa Smedman's works, but I didn't feel quite as drawn into the characters of those as I was drawn to Erevis and co. With all of them that I've read, I've been left desperately wanting to know what happens next, but with Dawn of Night, I just wanted to know that little bit more.

"Come looking for me, and I will blast you to dust, and then lay waste to all your descendants, ancestors, and the realm you came from, every last tree and stone of it. Why? Well, it's what I usually do."

-Baerendra Riverhand on The Story of Spellfire
Go to Top of Page

Carion Hunter
Acolyte

23 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2005 :  11:57:51  Show Profile  Visit Carion Hunter's Homepage Send Carion Hunter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For me, I in favor the Two Swords and The Rage, they are some of the many best novels I had read so far.

Wanna throw me out? You gotta think thrice about that.
Go to Top of Page

Snotlord
Senior Scribe

Norway
476 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2005 :  12:32:31  Show Profile  Visit Snotlord's Homepage Send Snotlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm tricky. I picked The Rage, because I'm a sucker for RSE done right and I loved the characters.
Rich Bakers book is better written, and he makes the D&D rules work in a fictional setting, which is impressive in itself. Still, The Rage it is.

I liked Elminster's Daughter, but Ed moves to fast for me. Sorry.
I have not read the Salvatore book, but the two first was ok.
Don's book was ok, but his Dark Matter books are better.
I have not read Lisa's book, but the first was ok.
I have not read any of the others, but I will pick up Mistress of Night and Ruby Guardian, based on the input from this thread.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2005 :  12:41:51  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Forsaken House was the clear choice for me. I'm very eager to obtain the second book because of how much I enjoyed the first novel in the series.
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2005 :  16:00:50  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This was tough, I loved Elminster's Daughter, it was definitely my favorite of Ed's novels that I've read. Forsaken House and the Rage were both fantastic, as well as Venom's taste and the Yellow Silk. So many great novels last year, but I had to pick Dawn of Night as my favorite. I like everything about the book, the story, the characters, it's an excellent book.

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2005 :  17:32:22  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

Did you press view results before trying to vote? I know that causes it.

Yes I pressed it before even logging in. Darn it.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2005 :  12:36:17  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A nice race so far between Elminster's Daughter and Forsaken House. I'm a bit surprised. I knew the latter was well received, but the novel's popularity is more than even I figured.
Go to Top of Page

Tremaine
Seeker

United Kingdom
86 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2005 :  13:57:21  Show Profile Send Tremaine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't believe no one apart from me voted for Venom's Taste you all mad kidding. One of the best realm novel I have read in along time

my second chose would have been Dawn of Night
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2005 :  19:08:00  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Forsaken House for me. It was tough to choose between Dawn of Night, The Rage, and Forsaken House. Those three books were oh so very good...

"Trust in the shadows, for the bright way makes you an easy target." -Mask
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2005 :  13:26:42  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tremaine

I can't believe no one apart from me voted for Venom's Taste you all mad kidding. One of the best realm novel I have read in along time

Have you read the second book in that series? I feel it's even better than the first novel.
Go to Top of Page

Smyther
Learned Scribe

Canada
121 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2005 :  00:42:03  Show Profile  Visit Smyther's Homepage Send Smyther a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, of the three I've read on that list (El's D, Two Swords, Forsaken House), I'd have to pick Forsaken House. Not only did I love that book, but it makes the other two pale in comparison.
Two Swords was all right (better than the first two of the trilogy, IMO), and I didn't like Elminster's Daughter (I praise Ed on his sourcebooks, not his novels). Forsaken House took place in the areas I liked, introduced excellent villains, had a solid cast (though the genasi I thought less of), raised some interesting points and ideas, and (while the plot of ANOTHER ancient race returning has been done before) sets it up excellently for the plot of book 2 and 3. I would wax eloquence some more, but my cold is really bothering me.

So sayeth the Smyther, the Dark Bard of Amn.
Go to Top of Page

Winterfox
Senior Scribe

895 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2005 :  08:27:09  Show Profile  Visit Winterfox's Homepage Send Winterfox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've only read two out of the whole list -- I'd have read The Ruby Guardian if The Sapphire Crescent didn't disappoint me so much and bore me to tears.

So, between The Rage and Forsaken House, it's easy to choose.
Go to Top of Page

LordEverhate
Acolyte

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2005 :  17:47:43  Show Profile  Visit LordEverhate's Homepage Send LordEverhate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It was either Forsaken House or Venom's Taste for me, but since I liked the more adult feel of Venom's Taste, I selected it.

Shawn Muder
Realms of Evil
http://www.realmsofevil.net/
EN World Newshound
http://www.enworld.org/
Go to Top of Page

VEDSICA
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2005 :  23:41:49  Show Profile  Visit VEDSICA's Homepage Send VEDSICA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Forsaken House it is for me.I really enjoyed this novel.The story is great.There is an ultimate villian who is mysterious(MALKIZID).It has us all speculating.Well most of us.The feyri are awesome and ancient villians.Evermeet,Evereska.High Magic.The hero is very likable and appealing..I mean I can't say enough about this book.When I first read it,and I still do believe this.That it is one of the best realms novel that has been written in a long time.Though I kind of feel like I am putting down the other novels that are on the poll.I am not.I enjoyed everyone of them.It's just that Forsaken House really captivated me.To be honest I can't wait to read it again just before the second of the trilogy comes out in July.....

LIFE,BIRTH,BLOOD,DOOM---THE HOLE IN THE GROUND IS COMING ROUND SOON----BLS
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2005 :  05:04:07  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LordEverhate

It was either Forsaken House or Venom's Taste for me, but since I liked the more adult feel of Venom's Taste, I selected it.

What about that novel made you consider it more of an "adult feel?"
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2005 :  05:05:35  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by VEDSICA
To be honest I can't wait to read it again just before the second of the trilogy comes out in July.....

Hopefully it will be out the end of this month rather than July.
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2005 :  22:05:07  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I chose Forsaken House, for the same reasons already mentioned. The Rage was good, but I almost drowned under the amount of new dragons introduced in the series so far.....Song dragons, earth dragons, ooze dragons, mist dragons, magma dragons, smoke dragons, fire dragons and fang dragons. I have never heard about a single one of those before.

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2005 :  23:10:04  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by khorne

I chose Forsaken House, for the same reasons already mentioned. The Rage was good, but I almost drowned under the amount of new dragons introduced in the series so far.....Song dragons, earth dragons, ooze dragons, mist dragons, magma dragons, smoke dragons, fire dragons and fang dragons. I have never heard about a single one of those before.

A lot of those have been around for quite some time.

Song dragons were originally called weredragons, and first appeared in Dragon 134 -- way back into 1st Edition, in an article written by Ed.

Most, if not all, of the other dragons were around in 2E. I seem to recall fang dragons being intro'ed in the Ruins of Myth Drannor boxed set. The rest, I'd have to look up their first appearances.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 14 Jun 2005 23:11:11
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2005 :  02:11:14  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I seem to recall fang dragons being intro'ed in the Ruins of Myth Drannor boxed set.
Yes, they're in there, along with electrum dragons which made their first appearance in Dragon #74 I believe. Earth dragons were detailed in that issue as well as I recall.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2005 :  17:52:44  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OMG there are different kinds of dragons everywhere! I know about chromatic, metallic, shadow and gem dragons, but can someone list the rest please?

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2005 :  15:12:55  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
96 votes... Surely there's four more scribes that hasn't voted yet that can help us round out the number

Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000