Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Waterdeep Thieves Guilds
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2003 :  11:04:18  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I recently found out that there are no thieves guilds in Waterdeep! Aparently they were all purged from the city in the recent(?) past.

Can anybody tell me more information on this? When, who and how did all guilds get eliminated? Is there ANY new activity occuring within the city?

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2003 :  11:55:11  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Once upon a time... there used to be an infamous thieves' guild in Waterdeep: The Shadow Thieves, due to the actions of certain waterdhavians the guild was destroyed and banished. They now have their base of operations in Amn, with influence in the Western Heartlands and Tethyr (but not Calimshan).

The only thieves' organiation perhaps worthy of the name Thieves' Guild is Xanatar's (sp?) group based in Skullport.

Aside from unaffiliated rogues there currently is no guild active on the surface of Waterdeep. Apparently the Masked Lords are doing a good job...
Go to Top of Page

Echon
Senior Scribe

Denmark
422 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2003 :  12:00:12  Show Profile  Visit Echon's Homepage Send Echon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mumadar Ibn Huzal

Once upon a time... there used to be an infamous thieves' guild in Waterdeep: The Shadow Thieves, due to the actions of certain waterdhavians the guild was destroyed and banished. They now have their base of operations in Amn, with influence in the Western Heartlands and Tethyr (but not Calimshan).

The only thieves' organiation perhaps worthy of the name Thieves' Guild is Xanatar's (sp?) group based in Skullport.

Aside from unaffiliated rogues there currently is no guild active on the surface of Waterdeep. Apparently the Masked Lords are doing a good job...

Funny. When I read Rad's question I could not think of anything but after reading your answer, I recalled that I actually knew the same thing. I learned about that when playing Baldur's Gate.

-Echon

"If others had not been foolish, we should be so."

-William Blake
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2003 :  12:02:04  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The boxed sets City of Splendors and Lands of Intrigue both contain information regarding this topic.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2003 :  12:05:38  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Excellent! Thanks Mumadar, ill check those out.

I think the spelling is "Xanathar" but I dont have my sourcebooks at hand at the moment to check. Also, is Xanathar also the name of the beholder who is the guild master, or any I getting this confused with something else? Does the Xanathar Guild have any ties with the Zhentarim?

Im sure the guilds will return soon, Waterdeep is too good a picking to leave alone

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2003 :  12:21:21  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed it is the that floating ball of many eyes

<looks over shoulder to see if there isn't one of those eye-tyrants lurking>

I'm not sure if they have any 'official' ties with the Zhents, but for sure they've had dealings with them.
Go to Top of Page

AraznBlair
Learned Scribe

USA
114 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2003 :  15:35:47  Show Profile  Visit AraznBlair's Homepage Send AraznBlair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you read the 2E Heros Lorebook and look up Mirt the Moneylender I believe it says that he was instumental in the downfall of the guilds. As one of the Secrete Lords and also as a thief he was able to hid his indentity and banish all the guilds in Waterdeep.

As for Xanathar's organization that is in Skullport and I think that is not controlled by the Lords of Waterdeep. I could be wronge though.

Arazn Blair
Fightermage Extrodinare
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2003 :  16:13:53  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Lords don't control Skullport, but keep a close watch on it. The Lords tolerate Skullport as a ventilation system for any excess behavior which would not be tolerated in the city proper. It is their excuse of better having a known 'enemy' in a place you can watch then an unknown one prowling your streets... (or something like that).

Edited by - Mumadar Ibn Huzal on 24 Jan 2003 18:07:06
Go to Top of Page

Trafaldi
Learned Scribe

264 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2003 :  18:03:08  Show Profile  Visit Trafaldi's Homepage Send Trafaldi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You may find some more info in the FRCS to help you with your question , but don't take my word for it.

Some believe there is something more after death, if you really want to find out... go kill yourself and stop pestering me.
Go to Top of Page

lowtech
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2003 :  16:16:32  Show Profile  Visit lowtech's Homepage Send lowtech a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Read Lords of Darkness, it has a good deal of information about the Shadow Theives.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000