Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Exotic Weapons for 3E
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

AraznBlair
Learned Scribe

USA
114 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2003 :  20:30:12  Show Profile  Visit AraznBlair's Homepage Send AraznBlair a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I have just started reading up on the 3rd Edition and in trying to get a better understanding of it I have also decided to create my own character, a dwarven fighter to be exact. In looking at the pre selected package for a Dwarven Fighter I notice that they gave him an Exotic Weapon Skill for a Dwarven War Axe. So my question is for all you knowledgable scribs of 3E:

Why is a Dwarven WarAxe an Exotic Weapon for a Dwarven Fighter?

Arazn Blair
Fightermage Extrodinare

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2003 :  07:50:49  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have wondered the same thing, the only explanation for this would be that eventhough a character might be a dwarf, the difficulty to master the weapon is just the same as for let's say a human.

The only 'dwarven' (or other racial prefix) for the weapon would more or less indicate the race's preference for the weapon (and perhaps exclusiveness of its use)
Go to Top of Page

AraznBlair
Learned Scribe

USA
114 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2003 :  15:14:16  Show Profile  Visit AraznBlair's Homepage Send AraznBlair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Mumadar. Your explaination makes a little sense in that the weapon may be a little more dificult than say a regular axe. But if that was the case then all weapons that might be dificult to master could be considered Exotic. I had also noticed that the Bastard Sword was considered an Exotic Weapon as well for humans, Elves and Half-Elves. Again Thanks.

Arazn Blair
Fightermage Extrodinare
Go to Top of Page

sabre
Acolyte

Turkey
47 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2003 :  07:35:01  Show Profile Send sabre a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think you get the answer from mumadar(great answer)but i would like to say something about it.
Dwarven war axe is heavier and bigger than battle axe and smaller and lighter than great axe.Ýt is crafted by the dwarves first and it is a eccantric weapon.
You can wield it two handed easily if you are a medium or bigger creature.Ýt is awkvard to use one handed beacuse it is heavy but with exotic weapon proficiensy or if you are large or bigger creature you can use it one handed without penalty.
it doesn't matter a dwarf crafted it or not it requires special training and exercise to use it one handed.Because of this you have to take the feat to use it one handed or easier than that play a large or bigger character:)

sabre
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000