Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 RPG News & Releases
 The Realm of Nimbral
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2004 :  00:03:50  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rl/20040811a

I couldnt help put smirk when a read this bit in the article

Some sailors and sages of interior Faerūnian lands alike believe this land is purely legendary; others, such as the "monks of Candlekeep, hunger for more information about this remote and reclusive island."

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks

Edited by - Alaundo on 26 Aug 2004 13:28:59

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2004 :  00:28:06  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

Some sailors and sages of interior Faerūnian lands alike believe this land is purely legendary; others, such as the "monks of Candlekeep, hunger for more information about this remote and reclusive island."

That was a nice passage to read. Thanks Dargoth for the link to a very interesting article.
Go to Top of Page

Sarelle
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
508 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2004 :  00:32:15  Show Profile Send Sarelle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lol. Me too. Thanks for the heads-up.

It is nice to see more o this island, but I also like how Ed made a lot of it deliberately vague and make-your-own-mind-up-y. Hopefully a pace will be established in future articles, because I didn't feel one in this one, despite its quality.

Chair of the The Rightful Return of Monster Deities to FR Society (RRMDFRS)

My character, drawn by Liodain: Sarelle / Sarelle (smaller)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2004 :  00:56:24  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm one of those that has asked for more info! In fact, 'twas in response to something I commented on in his thread when Ed mentioned that we would, at some future time, see more info on Nimbral.

Thank you, friend Dargoth, for posting that link.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2004 :  07:48:27  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

At last... the faded land of Nimbral revealed... mostly .

Thank you for the URL, Dargoth. I had a peculiar feeling that this would be the next focus for the Realmslore column. It shows that sometimes the rumors at EN World are correct... or at least have some measure of truth to them .

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2004 :  08:53:44  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Excellent! About time Nibmral was covered too

I wonder if The Hooded One had spied out constant "any info on Nimbral" posts and reported them too Ed to inspire that comment

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2004 :  15:46:59  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In another scroll, Lord Rad kindly pointed out that the new article is available for download, not just reading.

Have they done that with any of the old articles? I ask merely out of curiosity -- I always copy the stuff to Word, so I've got my copy.

Go to Top of Page

The Wanderer
Learned Scribe

USA
132 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2004 :  15:55:02  Show Profile  Visit The Wanderer's Homepage Send The Wanderer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very nice!

I'm glad they finally put down some information on this location. All I remeber reading about it was in the second edition book detailing the different mages of FR.

The Wanderer
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2004 :  17:29:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Anubis

Very nice!

I'm glad they finally put down some information on this location. All I remeber reading about it was in the second edition book detailing the different mages of FR.

Yeah, Nimbral is one that has long held my interest...

I'm really curious about the glass armor worn by the Flying Hunt (the Flying Hunt in general, actually, but their armor is particularly noteworthy). It would seem to me that glass is not the best material to fashion armor from...

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2004 :  17:37:09  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
I'm really curious about the glass armor worn by the Flying Hunt (the Flying Hunt in general, actually, but their armor is particularly noteworthy). It would seem to me that glass is not the best material to fashion armor from...

The last paragraph in the article really grabbed my interest. I'm curious as to where the moon elves that possibly colonized this area originated from.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2004 :  05:03:21  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I always understood it to be metal of some description (adamantine or mithral) that had been 'glassteeled' ala the spell ...

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2004 :  06:44:47  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

quote:

I always understood it to be metal of some description (adamantine or mithral) that had been 'glassteeled' ala the spell ...

-- George Krashos

I was thinking that, though I kinda fail to see a point to doing that. Maybe it's a cultural thing...

I was just flipping thru Realmspace, and found a mention of Nimbral. It seems that Nimbral is home to a spelljamming port called The Resort. You can't do any trade there, but anyone is welcome to come spend money, and there's plenty of places to do that. It's also mentioned that there's no magical way to get to Nimbral -- even spelljammers are limited to one specific approach.

I wonder if this place will be mentioned in the future articles?

Go to Top of Page

Osieu
Acolyte

26 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2004 :  13:21:21  Show Profile  Visit Osieu's Homepage Send Osieu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This article is Great!
I was looking for info of Nimbral few days ago, and now Ed gives us this! That's MAGIC I say ...
As for the glass armor, I think is might be made of glassteel of Races of Faerun? I mean, the new material of elves described in the book...

Edited by - Osieu on 14 Aug 2004 13:24:35
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2004 :  20:40:28  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, it definitely sounds like glassteel. But that would be too easy... I'm willing to bet Ed has a few surprises in store in this department!
Go to Top of Page

Arnwyn
Acolyte

35 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2004 :  02:12:39  Show Profile  Visit Arnwyn's Homepage Send Arnwyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Finally, some more info on Nimbral! I've been asking for more than 10 years to get some detail on this land. What with Serpent Kingdoms detailing Lapaliiya et. al., and a hardcover on the Shining South, 2004 is turning out to be a pretty darn good year (PGtF notwithstanding). I'm very excited.
quote:

Well, WotC has pretty much disavowed anything Spelljammer related for 3eFR, so there likely won't be anything in those articles on that front, I'd guess.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2004 :  03:03:54  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arnwyn

quote:

Well, WotC has pretty much disavowed anything Spelljammer related for 3eFR, so there likely won't be anything in those articles on that front, I'd guess.

Sadly, I'm inclined to agree with you. I loved Spelljammer, but it seems unlikely that we'll ever see anything else on that setting.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2004 :  08:02:58  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately (or fortunately... depending upon your opinion), all we have is the material now being consistently churned out by such sites as 'Beyond the Moons' and 'Shattered Fractine'. And, while it's mostly fantastic material, it's not the same as 'officially' published information...

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2004 :  05:27:36  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Realm of Nimbral, Part Two is up.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 25 Aug 2004 05:29:07
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2004 :  07:00:27  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hey, where's Dargoth? I thought he handled these updates?

Thanks for the heads up on part two WR! The location is becoming more interesting with each installment I read.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2004 :  07:22:18  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:

Thanks for the heads up on part two WR! The location is becoming more interesting with each installment I read.

Unfortunately Ive been down at Nowra since 7.30 this morning and have not had access to the Net

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2004 :  08:45:16  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Wooly . Since I don't visit the D&D website as much as I used to, it's still good that one or two scribes take note of the updates to the FR subsite and post them here.

quote:

quote:

quote:

Unfortunately Ive been down at Nowra since 7.30 this morning and have not had access to the Net

We've all been there Dargoth. Although, I had access to a laptop when I was unfortuante enough to stop there...

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2004 :  15:31:37  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Thanks Wooly . Since I don't visit the D&D website as much as I used to, it's still good that one or two scribes take note of the updates to the FR subsite and post them here.

I check the updates page (and that page only) every day for new stuff, Realms or otherwise.

Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2004 :  12:17:37  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Of all the dirty tricks..

looks like part one contained a PDF download of the article, but part two doesnt have one!

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2004 :  14:24:34  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Give Wizards some time, Rad. I'm sure it will be uploaded shortly.

I recall hearing something up a additional server software upgrade that was to be happening today. Perhaps the uploading to the main site has been delayed because of it.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2004 :  15:33:30  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Rad

looks like part one contained a PDF download of the article, but part two doesnt have one!

I didn't even notice... But then, as I've said before, I copy all interesting stuff to Word (or Notepad, if it's only a little thing, like a brief answer from Ed).

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2004 :  11:02:50  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Lord Rad

I didn't even notice... But then, as I've said before, I copy all interesting stuff to Word (or Notepad, if it's only a little thing, like a brief answer from Ed).

I'm actually surprised that a lot of other scribes don't do this. It's always been my technique when I've read something interesting online, and the ol' Space Hamster also seem to make a habit of it.

Oh well...

Go to Top of Page

tauster
Senior Scribe

Germany
399 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2004 :  17:25:37  Show Profile  Visit tauster's Homepage Send tauster a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm actually surprised that a lot of other scribes don't do this. It's always been my technique when I've read something interesting online, and the ol' Space Hamster also seem to make a habit of it.
Oh well...

rest assured that at least one more scribe does, sage! every interesting article i find, be it on candlekeep or on wizards.com, spelljammer.org or what-have-you.com goes straight to my ever growing archive.

my worst nightmare is another harddisk-crash; i seem to experience one every year or so, regardless of precautions. i know: the prudent thing to do would be burning a lore-cd every second month or so, but that“s something i continuously postpone, sometimes until it is too late...

there is simply too much out there in library of the etheral net to remember the location of every single piece of lore. without archieving them, most of them would be lost and never see use in play.
the most fascinating texts, or those who i presume to use in roleplay soon (meaning anytime in the next half year) is carefully transcrbed to a scroll by my enslaved scribe (who answeres to the name "Epson") and tucked away in one of a growing number of folders (one of the reasons i“ll have to buy a new bookshelf before fall).
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2004 :  18:12:05  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tauster

quote:

Oh well...

rest assured that at least one more scribe does, sage! every interesting article i find, be it on candlekeep or on wizards.com, spelljammer.org or what-have-you.com goes straight to my ever growing archive.

my worst nightmare is another harddisk-crash; i seem to experience one every year or so, regardless of precautions. i know: the prudent thing to do would be burning a lore-cd every second month or so, but that“s something i continuously postpone, sometimes until it is too late...

there is simply too much out there in library of the etheral net to remember the location of every single piece of lore. without archieving them, most of them would be lost and never see use in play.
the most fascinating texts, or those who i presume to use in roleplay soon (meaning anytime in the next half year) is carefully transcrbed to a scroll by my enslaved scribe (who answeres to the name "Epson") and tucked away in one of a growing number of folders (one of the reasons i“ll have to buy a new bookshelf before fall).

I've been saving everything to Word pretty much since I first ventured on-line, which was a couple of years before I got a computer of my own. Not only does it enable me to find something without having to sort thru a gazillion bookmarks, but it also means that it's all available to me when I'm off-line.

At least one document I have is from a website that's no longer around... For example, I got my article on the Minnesota Tribe (don't ask, it's not even D&D) from the FASA site, which disappeared years ago. Similarly, I saved all the Project Phoenix (also not D&D, but I believe the Sage will know both references) stuff to Word, because they didn't announce the intention to do a TRO on it until well after it was done.

So as far as I'm concerned, copying and pasting to Word is the way to go.

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2004 :  18:28:07  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tauster
my worst nightmare is another harddisk-crash;

My nightmare is a house fire. Of course I have insurance, but no $ would replace 28 Avery Profile binders filled with information/people/places/thing from my Realms.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2004 :  19:11:30  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
My nightmare is a house fire. Of course I have insurance, but no $ would replace 28 Avery Profile binders filled with information/people/places/thing from my Realms.

This is mine. If it ever happened I'd cry as my 2000+ novels, sourcebooks, magazines, etc, went up in flames or were ruined from water damaged. Hells I'm tearing up just thinking about it as I type this. :(

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2004 :  03:35:30  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I've been saving everything to Word pretty much since I first ventured on-line, which was a couple of years before I got a computer of my own. Not only does it enable me to find something without having to sort thru a gazillion bookmarks, but it also means that it's all available to me when I'm off-line.

That's very similar to how I first started out.

Of course, once I started designing the SageOS SageExplorer, I integrated my entire bookmark listing into the graphic interface for the browser. This made the browser now completely able to load up pages from it's extensive cache memory without the need to constantly reload from the actual site online.

quote:
At least one document I have is from a website that's no longer around... For example, I got my article on the Minnesota Tribe (don't ask, it's not even D&D) from the FASA site, which disappeared years ago.

Ooh, I missed the original article on the Minnesota Tribe. The copy I have is a heavily summarised version from another site. Any chance you can send that along my way, Wooly?

quote:
Similarly, I saved all the Project Phoenix (also not D&D, but I believe the Sage will know both references) stuff to Word, because they didn't announce the intention to do a TRO on it until well after it was done.
Hehe, I did the same thing. It wasn't until last minute that I'd heard that a Technical Readout was to be published. I still haven't purchased a copy yet though, mainly because of the amount of effort I put into making a neatly bound binder containing the Phoenix data I had saved online.

And yes, I do know both references...

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000