Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Hint that Faerun Campaign Book is by MtG team
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2021 :  01:38:30  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gyor

With the Udadrow, Aevendrow, and Lorendrow incoming, does my belief that a new Campaign setting book still seem crazy?

I won't say it's crazy -- just that it remains unsupported by anything. At most, I'd expect a new book on drow -- hopefully with a title other than Drow of the Underdark.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1287 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2021 :  01:53:58  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

With the Udadrow, Aevendrow, and Lorendrow incoming, does my belief that a new Campaign setting book still seem crazy?

I won't say it's crazy -- just that it remains unsupported by anything. At most, I'd expect a new book on drow -- hopefully with a title other than Drow of the Underdark.

On the cover will be a quartet of drow standing in the middle of a sunlit meadow.

Stand with anybody that stands right. Stand with him while he is right and part with him when he goes wrong.

Earth names in the Realms are more common than you may think.
Go to Top of Page

HighOne
Learned Scribe

214 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2021 :  02:01:08  Show Profile Send HighOne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I stopped trying to predict 5E releases a long time ago. Whenever I think Wizards is going to zig, they zag.

That said, I think a drow adventure is more likely than a campaign setting at this point. I expect this year's summer storyline to include the drow in some way, either as a secondary or a primary focus. I wouldn't even be surprised if the adventure had players killing Lolth and liberating Menzoberranzan, in a truly Realms-shaking event. It's been a while since Wizards did anything quite so ambitious, so maybe it's time...
Go to Top of Page

HighOne
Learned Scribe

214 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2021 :  02:06:05  Show Profile Send HighOne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Azar

quote:

On the cover will be a quartet of drow standing in the middle of a sunlit meadow.

Sounds like a Beatles album cover...
Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1287 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2021 :  02:10:55  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HighOne

quote:
Originally posted by Azar

quote:

Sounds like a Beatles album cover...

I was only half joking, by the way. If there is a significant push to get the image of the drow away from the Underdark, you can bet that'll be reflected front-and-center.

Stand with anybody that stands right. Stand with him while he is right and part with him when he goes wrong.

Earth names in the Realms are more common than you may think.
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2021 :  03:10:43  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I stopped trying to predict 5E releases a long time ago. Whenever I think Wizards is going to zig, they zag.

That said, I think a drow adventure is more likely than a campaign setting at this point. I expect this year's summer storyline to include the drow in some way, either as a secondary or a primary focus. I wouldn't even be surprised if the adventure had players killing Lolth and liberating Menzoberranzan, in a truly Realms-shaking event. It's been a while since Wizards did anything quite so ambitious, so maybe it's time...

The locations are too far apart for simply an adventure, plus this screams setting lore, not dungeons or other simular adeventure locations.

They aren't going to kill off Lolth sje's too popular as a villain.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2021 :  04:02:53  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The locations are too far apart for simply an adventure, plus this screams setting lore, not dungeons or other simular adeventure locations.

I disagree. Gates or flying ships or submarines named from real-world novels () could make short work of distance. Travel is often required in adventures, too. And there's the simple fact that what lore we have gotten from WotC, of late, has been in support of adventures. There appears to be a strong aversion to giving us any lore that isn't connected to an adventure, right now.

quote:

They aren't going to kill off Lolth sje's too popular as a villain.

I wouldn't agree that she's a popular villain, but I agree that they won't kill her off -- it would have way too much of an impact on drow, and WotC's been pushing drow for a long time, now.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 24 May 2021 04:03:34
Go to Top of Page

Demzer
Senior Scribe

873 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2021 :  09:02:17  Show Profile Send Demzer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by keftiu

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by keftiu

She’s even poked her head into Eberron once or twice thanks to bad writing.

Really? In the novels or in the game material?

DDO had a crossover event I know nothing about where she was the main baddie
From what I recall, Lolth didn't enter the Eberron setting. The DDO developers just put a portal to Faerun into the game so they could start releasing Forgotten Realms content. The game's first expansion (Menace of the Underdark) was set in Eveningstar (Cormyr) and revolved around Lolth. But except for the fact that characters could travel between them, the two settings didn't actually interact in any way; the Eberron stuff stayed in Eberron and the Forgotten Realms stuff stayed in Forgotten Realms.

I do remember at the time that some people were upset that Eberron and Faerun could be connected so easily through a portal. But I don't remember who was doing the complaining -- Eberron fans, Forgotten Realms fans, or both.

EDIT: Then again, maybe I'm wrong. Reading the DDOWiki entry on Menace of the Underdark, I see this sentence: "The hopes of the Realms lie with champions from Eberron, whose world has become entangled in Lolth's schemes..." So yeah, it does sound like Lolth "poked her head" into Eberron.

SPOILERS FROM DDO (although it's really quite old stuff):

The players start looking into "cult" activity in the harbour of the main adventuring hub city of Stormreach, at the same time, random drow NPCs talking about their spider goddess start appearing all over the place and having arguments with native (i.e. Vulkoorim) drow.

The cult activity is revealed to be the Lords of Dust trying to free a big baddie demon lord from Khyber deep beneath Stormreach, they are doing this with the help of a bunch of very powerful, extremely regimented drows with spider masks and led by priestesses in skimpy attire.

When the players get to the main showdown with the big baddie, it's revealed to be the Spinner or Shadows, some kind of drider demon lord or proto-Lolth. During the fight (villains do like to monologue) you find out she was awakened from slumber by Lolth "calling to her across the worlds" and the mysterious drow are Lolth followers who were just using the Lords of Dust to free the Spinner (the cultists thought the Spinner would help them free other demon lords, but they were betrayed as soon as the Spinner was freed).

At the end of the fight, Lolth breaks the boundaries of Khyber at the Spinner's prison location and the Demonweb Pits start slowly consuming the plane (Eberron). Lolth takes the Spinner with her and her drow servants keep raiding Eberron for dragonshards (hinted at being used as some kind of magical fuel). The Gatekeepers of Eberron arrive in Stormreach to slow/stop the spread of the Demonweb and the adventurers are sent inside to figure out wtf is going on.

Cue adventures in Eveningstar where the adventurers stop Lolth from subsuming a sizeable chunk of Mystra's essence which was stored inside a farmgirl (Anna Brabener). During these adventures the heroes see Lolth basically absorb the Spinner of Shadows (RIP) to get more power and they use their own lifeforce to stabilise the rift between the Demoweb and Eberron so it's fixed and not ever-expanding.

At the end of the story there is a planar rift between Eberron and the Demonweb Pits and from there the players can easily access the Underdark beneath Eveningstar (so Eberron and Toril are connected through the planes).

Bonus info: WotC enforced a long a$$ cooldown (1 hr at the start, dropped to 30 mins) on the only item allowing direct transit to Toril (to the point the game developers cannot reduce it to more MMO-friendly timeliness without getting permission, which they asked and were denied repeatedly) to keep the semblance of "Eberron is far apart from other settings"
Go to Top of Page

keftiu
Senior Scribe

656 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2021 :  20:33:16  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That last tidbit makes me very happy: I enjoy Eberron being remote from the Multiverse, if not wholly separate. Dark Sun is likewise almost entirely cut off, and I love it for that.

4e fangirl. Here to queer up the Realms.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2021 :  22:52:54  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anna Brabener ... *sigh*

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2021 :  00:47:09  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Anna Brabener ... *sigh*

-- George Krashos

Agreed. I noticed that one as well.

Go to Top of Page

Demzer
Senior Scribe

873 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2021 :  07:43:49  Show Profile Send Demzer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Anna Brabener ... *sigh*

-- George Krashos

Agreed. I noticed that one as well.

Oh sorry, my bad, it's Ana Brabener ... much better, right?
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2021 :  21:50:13  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Who is Anna Brabener referring to?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2021 :  22:10:36  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

quote:
Originally posted by Demzer

SPOILERS FROM DDO (although it's really quite old stuff):

The players start looking into "cult" activity in the harbour of the main adventuring hub city of Stormreach, at the same time, random drow NPCs talking about their spider goddess start appearing all over the place and having arguments with native (i.e. Vulkoorim) drow.

The cult activity is revealed to be the Lords of Dust trying to free a big baddie demon lord from Khyber deep beneath Stormreach, they are doing this with the help of a bunch of very powerful, extremely regimented drows with spider masks and led by priestesses in skimpy attire.

When the players get to the main showdown with the big baddie, it's revealed to be the Spinner or Shadows, some kind of drider demon lord or proto-Lolth. During the fight (villains do like to monologue) you find out she was awakened from slumber by Lolth "calling to her across the worlds" and the mysterious drow are Lolth followers who were just using the Lords of Dust to free the Spinner (the cultists thought the Spinner would help them free other demon lords, but they were betrayed as soon as the Spinner was freed).

At the end of the fight, Lolth breaks the boundaries of Khyber at the Spinner's prison location and the Demonweb Pits start slowly consuming the plane (Eberron). Lolth takes the Spinner with her and her drow servants keep raiding Eberron for dragonshards (hinted at being used as some kind of magical fuel). The Gatekeepers of Eberron arrive in Stormreach to slow/stop the spread of the Demonweb and the adventurers are sent inside to figure out wtf is going on.

Cue adventures in Eveningstar where the adventurers stop Lolth from subsuming a sizeable chunk of Mystra's essence which was stored inside a farmgirl (Anna Brabener). During these adventures the heroes see Lolth basically absorb the Spinner of Shadows (RIP) to get more power and they use their own lifeforce to stabilise the rift between the Demoweb and Eberron so it's fixed and not ever-expanding.

At the end of the story there is a planar rift between Eberron and the Demonweb Pits and from there the players can easily access the Underdark beneath Eveningstar (so Eberron and Toril are connected through the planes).

Bonus info: WotC enforced a long a$$ cooldown (1 hr at the start, dropped to 30 mins) on the only item allowing direct transit to Toril (to the point the game developers cannot reduce it to more MMO-friendly timeliness without getting permission, which they asked and were denied repeatedly) to keep the semblance of "Eberron is far apart from other settings"

Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2021 :  22:14:13  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

https://ddowiki.com/page/Ana_Brabener

This one.

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2021 :  23:02:24  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zeromaru X

quote:

This one.

I get that she's an NPC, I thought there was some underlying aspect to her name or something.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2021 :  00:41:10  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

This one.

I get that she's an NPC, I thought there was some underlying aspect to her name or something.

From the above thing about Lolth, sounds like she's some kind of Mystra Chosen who is "the thread of the weave" and instilled with some of Mystra's essence. Now here's the real question.... what do the letters of her name when rearranged spell that's special? Not saying that there is anything special... just seeing if someone comes up with something.

EDIT: found an anagram solver... banana beer r.... so from this I conclude that Mystra likes Banana flavored beer!!!!

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2021 :  02:03:49  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

EDIT: found an anagram solver... banana beer r.... so from this I conclude that Mystra likes Banana flavored beer!!!!

Hell, who doesn't? I love banana bread-beer.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2021 :  12:42:15  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

It actually is.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2021 :  14:54:24  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Now, sadly, I must hunt down a source of banana bread-beer.... just gotta try it.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2021 :  23:35:59  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Now, sadly, I must hunt down a source of banana bread-beer.... just gotta try it.

https://www.lcbo.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/en/lcbo/fruit-beer-16022290093-1/eagle-banana-bread-beer-516682#.YLFwKb9E1Pw

I found a source for banana bread beer.

Edited by - Gyor on 28 May 2021 23:36:38
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2021 :  23:47:04  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

https://www.lcbo.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/en/lcbo/fruit-beer-16022290093-1/eagle-banana-bread-beer-516682#.YLFwKb9E1Pw

I found a source for banana bread beer.

Wow, you must be one of Mystra's Chosen or something.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2021 :  23:49:56  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Guess it depends from where are you from. For English-speakers perhaps "Ana" with just one N is weird enough to be considered a fantasy-like name. But for Spanish-speaking people like myself, Ana is an average name for girls. My grandmother is called Ana, lol. And Anna (with two Ns) is weird enough to be considered a fantasy-like name in this case.

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...
Go to Top of Page

Demzer
Senior Scribe

873 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2021 :  08:28:32  Show Profile Send Demzer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Guess it depends from where are you from. For English-speakers perhaps "Ana" with just one N is weird enough to be considered a fantasy-like name. But for Spanish-speaking people like myself, Ana is an average name for girls. My grandmother is called Ana, lol. And Anna (with two Ns) is weird enough to be considered a fantasy-like name in this case.

Yep, Ana or Anna is the same "straight from Real World" for me too.

My "much better, right?" was to be intended as sarcastic for this reason, but it's hard to convey tone with written words.
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2021 :  09:46:30  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Yep, Ana or Anna is the same "straight from Real World" for me too.

My "much better, right?" was to be intended as sarcastic for this reason, but it's hard to convey tone with written words.

Some folks use /s to convey sarcasm online.
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2021 :  15:00:01  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe a Faerun Campaign Book is coming more then ever, either this year or next year. They are making major altercations to the lore and FR races, like the new Drow, and via UAs Hobgoblins, Kobold, and Dragonborn. They have admitted they plan on reusing art from the up coming AFR set for future books. Clearly big events are planned.

July D&D Live 2021 should be very interesting indeed.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2021 :  15:26:24  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I believe a Faerun Campaign Book is coming more then ever, either this year or next year. They are making major altercations to the lore and FR races, like the new Drow, and via UAs Hobgoblins, Kobold, and Dragonborn. They have admitted they plan on reusing art from the up coming AFR set for future books. Clearly big events are planned.

Why would they need one when they are avoiding doing anything based on lore?

Go to Top of Page

HighOne
Learned Scribe

214 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2021 :  16:52:18  Show Profile Send HighOne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

All the 5E adventures have been heavy on lore. Nearly every region of the Sword Coast and the North has been updated to 1492 DR at this point. Icewind Dale in Rime of the Frostmaiden, the Underdark in Out of the Abyss, Baldur's Gate in Descent Into Avernus, Waterdeep in Dragon Heist, the Savage Frontier in Storm King's Thunder, etc.

Wizards isn't avoiding lore. They're just sneaking it into adventures rather than publishing stand-alone sourcebooks.
Go to Top of Page

keftiu
Senior Scribe

656 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2021 :  20:17:59  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
AFR key art had what looked like a Dragonborn with a tail; if nothing else, that change would be a welcome retcon.

It’s very weird that dragonborn are core but their homeland isn’t allowed to be on the map.

4e fangirl. Here to queer up the Realms.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2021 :  20:27:59  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

All the 5E adventures have been heavy on lore. Nearly every region of the Sword Coast and the North has been updated to 1492 DR at this point. Icewind Dale in Rime of the Frostmaiden, the Underdark in Out of the Abyss, Baldur's Gate in Descent Into Avernus, Waterdeep in Dragon Heist, the Savage Frontier in Storm King's Thunder, etc.

Wizards isn't avoiding lore. They're just sneaking it into adventures rather than publishing stand-alone sourcebooks.

The lore they are providing is very scant and often questionable, and it is ONLY to support whatever adventure they're pushing. They're barely providing enough to support the adventures; they're certainly not going to give us a whole book of it.

When they go out of their way to avoid giving even the tiniest unnecessary scrap, then yes, they are avoiding lore. They are actively pursuing a lore-light approach so they don't have to bother keeping track of anything.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000