Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Scholar's Guide Puzzle Pieces moved
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2020 :  16:04:04  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hey, has anyone ever taken the scholar's guide of toril map in something like paint.net and moved them around like jigsaw puzzle pieces to fit together? I just did so with the bigger pieces (Anchorome/Maztica/Lopango and what we call Katashaka) to see roughly where pieces fit together. I found that Lopango and Calimshan touch and the moonshaes could probably fit just a little north of that. Of course Katashaka and Chult also fit together very well. I was thinking since we get more distinct shapes in the FR interactive atlas I might screen shot it and play with it just to see what I get. I half wonder if like Evermeet and Nimbral didn't kind of "smack" into the continents and crack them, but in such a way that magic controlled the impact without killing the entire world.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2020 :  18:43:33  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Figured what the hell and decided to take my own stab at it, since I've wondered for a while. This look about right? Note, the aeaeree enclaves might need a little shiffting, but since it wasn't attached, I wasn't going to dig. I also made an assumption that osse used to be attached. I also assume that all the islands of the crowded sea down near Zakhara used to form up something connected, but I wasn't about to even remotely mess with that. There was probably more connecting land between anchorome and the sword coast, but that would be the little islands scattered across the ocean, but I'm more looking for "hey this place and this place may have been very close long ago". Look about right? Image attached.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1J56TGnvANXouqP8iC71XMR3tTBhH2FBn/view?usp=sharing

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2020 :  18:33:05  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-The original AGHotR PDF has small cross-sections like that. Katashaka and Maztica are attached like that, but it doesn't go further east than the Hordelands/western Zakhara so Osse is up in the air (if it existed at all back then).

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2020 :  21:14:53  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

-The original AGHotR PDF has small cross-sections like that. Katashaka and Maztica are attached like that, but it doesn't go further east than the Hordelands/western Zakhara so Osse is up in the air (if it existed at all back then).

Oh, I'll have to look that up then. That's actually something I was wondering about as well was Osse, and actually, now that I think about it, some of the history I had actually DID have some or all of Osse showing up later on Toril as a transfer from actually Abeir that shifted here and stayed (because I'm of the mindset that these transfers have happened more often, its just that Faerun didn't get impacted, so they didn't pay as much attention). That being said, I was MORE wondering about Anchorome and Katashaka and the place next to Katashaka that I've been taking to calling "East Katashaka".

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2020 :  22:31:45  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Obviously, it's a relatively new addition and hasn't/probably never will get much coverage, but yeah, Osse is also huge.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2020 :  12:19:17  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

-Obviously, it's a relatively new addition and hasn't/probably never will get much coverage, but yeah, Osse is also huge.

Yeah, even what little I was doing with it was just the little bitty islands off the northeast edge, and making them isolated (as in they don't go to the "big dangerous continent"), and using those as a possible starting point to explore the bigger continent.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2020 :  19:10:12  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great Reader Lord Karsus,

Agreed on not getting coverage. WotC isn't even looking to expand much out by evidence so far in the Realms, let alone going to another continent without any development.

It would be amazing though! Osse is slightly larger than all of Faerun! I can only imagine the awesome that goes on there!

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2021 :  15:36:35  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jacueronn

I've done this a dozen times. I couldn't figure out what the reason was.

done what? Playing with the map?

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 27 Jun 2021 15:40:37
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2021 :  11:03:47  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:
Originally posted by jacueronn

I've done this a dozen times. I couldn't figure out what the reason was.

done what? Playing with the map?

He was a spammer and now he's gone.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2021 :  17:09:47  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I was thinking Osse broke off of far south Kara-Tur (Southern Ocean). That would be an easy explanation if the place has dinosaurs.

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

My FR writeups - http://www.mediafire.com/folder/um3liz6tqsf5n/Documents
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2021 :  19:29:00  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TheIriaeban

quote:

I was thinking Osse broke off of far south Kara-Tur (Southern Ocean). That would be an easy explanation if the place has dinosaurs.

Just taking the picture I posted above of my guesses

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1J56TGnvANXouqP8iC71XMR3tTBhH2FBn/view

and opening it up in paint.net and just using the magic wand to grab the main continent of Osse and the two nearby islands and trying to match it up to more westerly\beneath Kara-Tur.... I thought it would fit really good, but it actually doesn't. However, I was curious and I instead moved it NORTH of where I had been thinking, and it fits really well. It fits into the celestial sea, and if we assume that all those islands were one solid connection.... I think it might actually work well. It would put a humongous "somewhat enclosed sea" or even an entirely enclosed sea with Osse on one side, Karatur on the other and connecting points being what becomes the islands off Kara-Tur's coasts and a connection to the jungles of Kara-Tur. See link below for comparison

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ja5f5Dismzfa5Xj2HF5voXz0nZueANb0/view?usp=sharing

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2021 :  16:26:23  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very nice. That would still give it the chance of having dinosaurs. One thing to note is that the big island in that bay at the top of Osse would very likely not have moved (relative to the rest of the continent). Given the size and shape of the gap between the island and that "arm" of the continent, I would propose the gap is the result of volcanic activity. Perhaps a supervolcano erupted and then collapsed allowing the sea to flood in. I would have to look in the GHotR to see if a particularly bad winter was mentioned. That could place when that volcano erupted and caused a global volcanic winter event.

Edit: I didn't find anything off hand in the GHotR about a year without a summer but I did find two years that seemed to be possible candidates: -605: Year of Lingering Nightfall and -669: Year of Summer Frosts.

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

My FR writeups - http://www.mediafire.com/folder/um3liz6tqsf5n/Documents

Edited by - TheIriaeban on 30 Jun 2021 18:32:20
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000