Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Hint that Faerun Campaign Book is by MtG team
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2021 :  21:14:52  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by keftiu

AFR key art had what looked like a Dragonborn with a tail; if nothing else, that change would be a welcome retcon.

It’s very weird that dragonborn are core but their homeland isn’t allowed to be on the map.

AFR? That stand for maybe like "Art of the Forgotten Realms"? They doing a book like they did for the other magic card sets?

Never noticed that dragonborn didn't have tails until you mention it (which nothing against them, but I'm really seeing how little I paid attention to their entry since I wasn't playing one.... I did like Erin's additions with them though), but that does separate them from lizard men... not really driven in one direction or another towards like or dislike of it. That being said... poor gnomes, they don't even really get a homeland.

As to them not being allowed on the map, I still have no problem with keeping Tymanther and just making return for "Returned Unther". I want both. That being said, I also am an advocate for "not returning Returned Abeir". What I've seen of many of the 4e additions (warlock knights, Tymanther, the genasi in Airspur, High Imaskar, etc..), I'd like to keep... I'd just like to make them smaller or in some cases move them for reasons of returning populations. For instance, High Imaskar wouldn't be able to stay, but I'd love to see sections of High Imaskar maybe making groups in the Raurin, Hordelands, shining lands, eastern shaar, etc... I am also non-plussed by Dambrath's 4e change to a male dominated group of Malarites, and I'd love to bring back the Crintri and make their land at odds with themselves. In Calimshan, maybe send the genasi over to Airspur, but make them be rebellious and seeking to "try and regain their homeland back" from far afield? Of course, I also want to do my own stuff to with returning some generations of "ex-Thayans"... most of whom consider their great grandpa's homeland a shithole and don't want it anymore because they never saw it... but SOME will want to recover their homeland OR raid it for power/spell knowledge, etc... to bring back to their new homes. Basically, my viewpoint is to create a LOT of conflicts going on, and not all at a "country" level.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 01 Jun 2021 21:17:24
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4425 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2021 :  00:10:06  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What they Should do is a Planeshift approach to the various areas of the Forgotten Realms. A dozen or so pages of what's going on, indigenous people's info from that location, what sorts of threats and rumors they're facing there. Stuff like that.

That way, people can pick up the areas they like (or discard the ones they don't) and add that into their games. You can also use it in terms of lore for the Magic: the Gathering Cards.

Which is another thing, I'd suggest getting some because there's almost ALWAYS flavor text on them, and I'd think that there's a potential for Realmslore found there too.
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2021 :  01:09:30  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

AFR key art had what looked like a Dragonborn with a tail; if nothing else, that change would be a welcome retcon.

It’s very weird that dragonborn are core but their homeland isn’t allowed to be on the map.

I think that was a Lizardfolk, the tell is the fin on the head. I have no doubt Dragonborn will be in the set.

Edited by - Gyor on 02 Jun 2021 01:13:52
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2021 :  01:13:27  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:

AFR? That stand for maybe like "Art of the Forgotten Realms"? They doing a book like they did for the other magic card sets?

Never noticed that dragonborn didn't have tails until you mention it (which nothing against them, but I'm really seeing how little I paid attention to their entry since I wasn't playing one.... I did like Erin's additions with them though), but that does separate them from lizard men... not really driven in one direction or another towards like or dislike of it. That being said... poor gnomes, they don't even really get a homeland.

As to them not being allowed on the map, I still have no problem with keeping Tymanther and just making return for "Returned Unther". I want both. That being said, I also am an advocate for "not returning Returned Abeir". What I've seen of many of the 4e additions (warlock knights, Tymanther, the genasi in Airspur, High Imaskar, etc..), I'd like to keep... I'd just like to make them smaller or in some cases move them for reasons of returning populations. For instance, High Imaskar wouldn't be able to stay, but I'd love to see sections of High Imaskar maybe making groups in the Raurin, Hordelands, shining lands, eastern shaar, etc... I am also non-plussed by Dambrath's 4e change to a male dominated group of Malarites, and I'd love to bring back the Crintri and make their land at odds with themselves. In Calimshan, maybe send the genasi over to Airspur, but make them be rebellious and seeking to "try and regain their homeland back" from far afield? Of course, I also want to do my own stuff to with returning some generations of "ex-Thayans"... most of whom consider their great grandpa's homeland a shithole and don't want it anymore because they never saw it... but SOME will want to recover their homeland OR raid it for power/spell knowledge, etc... to bring back to their new homes. Basically, my viewpoint is to create a LOT of conflicts going on, and not all at a "country" level.

AFR stands for Adventures in the Forgotten Realms the name of the MtG set and the expansion code for the set is AFR, all cards in the set will have AFR on them.

https://mtgrocks.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/05/lolth4-1024x573.jpeg

Look in the bottom corner of the cards under the number and you will see AFR.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2021 :  01:35:39  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

What they Should do is a Planeshift approach to the various areas of the Forgotten Realms. A dozen or so pages of what's going on, indigenous people's info from that location, what sorts of threats and rumors they're facing there. Stuff like that.

That way, people can pick up the areas they like (or discard the ones they don't) and add that into their games. You can also use it in terms of lore for the Magic: the Gathering Cards.

Which is another thing, I'd suggest getting some because there's almost ALWAYS flavor text on them, and I'd think that there's a potential for Realmslore found there too.

That's a pretty good idea. They could likely make like 32 page pdfs and sell them for like $10 a pop, and they'd likely do pretty well.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2021 :  01:37:14  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by HighOne

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Gyor

I believe a Faerun Campaign Book is coming more then ever, either this year or next year. They are making major altercations to the lore and FR races, like the new Drow, and via UAs Hobgoblins, Kobold, and Dragonborn. They have admitted they plan on reusing art from the up coming AFR set for future books. Clearly big events are planned.

July D&D Live 2021 should be very interesting indeed.

Why would they need one when they are avoiding doing anything based on lore?

All the 5E adventures have been heavy on lore. Nearly every region of the Sword Coast and the North has been updated to 1492 DR at this point. Icewind Dale in Rime of the Frostmaiden, the Underdark in Out of the Abyss, Baldur's Gate in Descent Into Avernus, Waterdeep in Dragon Heist, the Savage Frontier in Storm King's Thunder, etc.

Wizards isn't avoiding lore. They're just sneaking it into adventures rather than publishing stand-alone sourcebooks.

The lore they are providing is very scant and often questionable, and it is ONLY to support whatever adventure they're pushing. They're barely providing enough to support the adventures; they're certainly not going to give us a whole book of it.

When they go out of their way to avoid giving even the tiniest unnecessary scrap, then yes, they are avoiding lore. They are actively pursuing a lore-light approach so they don't have to bother keeping track of anything.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2021 :  15:28:13  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Essentially like the old regional supplements from 1e/2e/3e but with less in them. If they included an entire page related to reference docs (not saying they need to provide a reference for everything they do... but more like "Hey, if you like this product, there's a lot of old lore on the region in these products TSR ### FR# Dreams of the Red Wizards
TSR ### Spellbound
Unapproachable East"), I think it might help new people to the environment as well. But yeah, that way they can start processing it in chunks (which is kind of what they've started doing with the adventures, with one in Chult, one in Icewind Dale, etc...)

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

keftiu
Senior Scribe

656 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2021 :  20:28:33  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Amazon leaked the next two books: one on the Feywild and one on Strixhaven. No big Realms book.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dndnext/comments/nsvoeu/next_two_hardcover_books_leaked_on_amazon/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

4e fangirl. Here to queer up the Realms.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2021 :  21:57:29  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Amazon leaked the next two books: one on the Feywild and one on Strixhaven. No big Realms book.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dndnext/comments/nsvoeu/next_two_hardcover_books_leaked_on_amazon/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

Yeah, I can't see them making one, despite anyone's guesses, because it's not to their benefit to try and usher in all the ideas at once.

I'm interested to see what Curiculum of Chaos might be about. I've wanted to explore doing a magic academy (much more than what's been done in previous editions, and more like the concepts we see in Harry Potter, but with more politics, etc...). I wonder if it will be something like that (discussing playing a low level game with students leveling up while in school). But it may just be an adventure.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

keftiu
Senior Scribe

656 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2021 :  22:41:03  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Yeah, I can't see them making one, despite anyone's guesses, because it's not to their benefit to try and usher in all the ideas at once.

I'm interested to see what Curiculum of Chaos might be about. I've wanted to explore doing a magic academy (much more than what's been done in previous editions, and more like the concepts we see in Harry Potter, but with more politics, etc...). I wonder if it will be something like that (discussing playing a low level game with students leveling up while in school). But it may just be an adventure.

I’m a little bewildered by the Strixhaven book; I was pretty underwhelmed by the flavor of the Magic set.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2021 :  01:19:58  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

I’m a little bewildered by the Strixhaven book; I was pretty underwhelmed by the flavor of the Magic set.

Just wondering, you mean the actual "strixhaven" card set? Since I don't actually play MTG (well haven't for about 20 years or more), I can't say what the game play is like. I have been tempted to try their online game, but time is always the issue. BTW, IF you know offhand, their online game A) is it basically free and B) is it quick (as in a game that if I found myself with half an hour to blow I could play a round of it)?

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2021 :  02:07:53  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I downloaded MtG: Arena on my phone and desktop. Lots of fun - but it is a time chewer. Currently saving gold for the release of the FR expansion in July.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

HighOne
Learned Scribe

214 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2021 :  02:14:08  Show Profile Send HighOne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Wizards released an infographic earlier this year that heavily implied that 2 more classic setting books were coming this year, in addition to Van Richten's Guide to Ravenloft.

Now I'm starting to wonder if people misinterpreted that infographic and Wizards actually meant that 2 more classic setting books were coming, but not necessarily this year.

EDIT: Here is the infographic in question: https://www.tribality.com/2021/05/19/2020-was-the-best-year-ever-for-dungeons-dragons-again/

A lot of gaming news sites reported this as "2 more classic setting books coming in 2021."

Edited by - HighOne on 06 Jun 2021 02:17:43
Go to Top of Page

keftiu
Senior Scribe

656 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2021 :  03:02:33  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Just wondering, you mean the actual "strixhaven" card set? Since I don't actually play MTG (well haven't for about 20 years or more), I can't say what the game play is like. I have been tempted to try their online game, but time is always the issue. BTW, IF you know offhand, their online game A) is it basically free and B) is it quick (as in a game that if I found myself with half an hour to blow I could play a round of it)?

The cards contain lore on their “flavor” text, supported by articles and short fiction on their website - and none of it gripped me for Strixhaven. I disliked the magic school trope even before JKR outed herself as a pretty vile bigot, and there’s not a lot to the non-school part of Arcavios to win me over with.

Magic Arena is “free to play,” but you’ll almost certainly need to spend real money on virtual packs to stay competitive.

Edited by - keftiu on 06 Jun 2021 03:03:59
Go to Top of Page

keftiu
Senior Scribe

656 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2021 :  03:05:27  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Wizards released an infographic earlier this year that heavily implied that 2 more classic setting books were coming this year, in addition to Van Richten's Guide to Ravenloft.

Now I'm starting to wonder if people misinterpreted that infographic and Wizards actually meant that 2 more classic setting books were coming, but not necessarily this year.

EDIT: Here is the infographic in question: https://www.tribality.com/2021/05/19/2020-was-the-best-year-ever-for-dungeons-dragons-again/

A lot of gaming news sites reported this as "2 more classic setting books coming in 2021."

They heavily teased Spelljammer and Dark Sun both at a stream event back in 2018. I expect both to come… eventually.

Go to Top of Page

HighOne
Learned Scribe

214 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2021 :  03:14:59  Show Profile Send HighOne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

They heavily teased Spelljammer and Dark Sun both at a stream event back in 2018. I expect both to come… eventually.
One can hope. I do think an FR book is just as likely too, but it's hard to predict what Wizards will or won't do at this point. They seemed to be avoiding repeating themselves for a long time, which is why I once thought a new Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting was unlikely (since we already had the Sword Coast Adventurers Guide), but now that we've had both Curse of Strahd and Van Richten's Guide to Ravenloft, I think an FRCS is a possibility. (Though I'd personally prefer Spelljammer.)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2021 :  03:49:52  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Spelljammer is my first love of D&D settings, but I think it'll be a long time before it gets revisited -- if ever. Dark Sun is one I'd expect to see within the next couple of years.

Go to Top of Page

keftiu
Senior Scribe

656 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2021 :  07:11:22  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Spelljammer is my first love of D&D settings, but I think it'll be a long time before it gets revisited -- if ever. Dark Sun is one I'd expect to see within the next couple of years.

I actually see the opposite odds; there’s been repeated mentions of spelljamming devices across 5e stuff, while I feel like they might be nervous about scaring people away with Dark Sun. Would love for you to be right!

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2021 :  16:00:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I actually see the opposite odds; there’s been repeated mentions of spelljamming devices across 5e stuff, while I feel like they might be nervous about scaring people away with Dark Sun. Would love for you to be right!

I'm fairly certain that Dark Sun was the more popular of the two settings. I'd be willing to lay money on it, I'm that certain.

I've long thought that the reason Spelljammer (aside from no internal coordination) didn't do better was because of the way space travel was handled.

Most people who read fantasy also read sci-fi. And one of the things that comes up in sci-fi space travel is one we know and expect from the real world: the issue of space being a vacuum. Even though we don't have an issue with people muttering a few words and producing lightning or with giant flying talking lizards that breathe fire, the idea of strolling about, unprotected, on the deck of wooden ship, seems to be just too much for some folks.

I think the setting could have also used more products like Practical Planetolgy: give us some place new to go to. Sure, being able to go from the Realms to Krynn is great, but we've all watched Star Trek, and if we're going into space, we want to boldly go and seek out new civilizations and all that.

Like I said, I love Spelljammer, but I do recognize issues with it. That said, I'd only change three things: get some better internal coordination going on (assuming it's not a one-off), put the emphasis on going to new worlds instead of connecting the existing ones, and revamp the way helms worked (I've a great idea for that one!).

So while I'd love to see Spelljammer come back (provided they didn't find some way to ruin it, which is a strong possibility with this design crew), I don't expect it. It's too big, too problematic, and it wasn't as popular as some of the other settings.

I'm honestly surprised that we've not seen anything of Greyhawk, yet. Greyhawk is older than the Realms and has a fanbase that is perhaps more fanatical about their chosen setting than we are.

Go to Top of Page

HighOne
Learned Scribe

214 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2021 :  16:21:54  Show Profile Send HighOne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I'm fairly certain that Dark Sun was the more popular of the two settings. I'd be willing to lay money on it, I'm that certain.
Popularity isn't the issue. It's that many people see Dark Sun as "problematic" these days due to its inclusion of slavery and other politically incorrect setting elements. Go to any D&D forum hipper and younger than this one and you'll find hundreds of posts about how to bowdlerize Dark Sun for modern audiences. The consensus seems to be that it cannot be done. Remove the "offensive" elements, and there's nothing left.

Edited by - HighOne on 06 Jun 2021 16:22:35
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2021 :  17:16:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Popularity isn't the issue. It's that many people see Dark Sun as "problematic" these days due to its inclusion of slavery and other politically incorrect setting elements. Go to any D&D forum hipper and younger than this one and you'll find hundreds of posts about how to bowdlerize Dark Sun for modern audiences. The consensus seems to be that it cannot be done. Remove the "offensive" elements, and there's nothing left.

Bah. Lolthite drow keep slaves, have a highly sexist society, and even kill their own family members -- but WotC can't go back to that particular well often enough.

And Dark Sun's defining characteristics had nothing to do with slavery and such: it was the environment, and psionics.

Go to Top of Page

HighOne
Learned Scribe

214 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2021 :  17:25:44  Show Profile Send HighOne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Bah. Lolthite drow keep slaves, have a highly sexist society, and even kill their own family members -- but WotC can't go back to that particular well often enough.
Because it's a matriarchy. It's okay to depict slavery and sexism in art when women are the perpetrators and not the primary victims.

Silly? Absolutely. Stupid? Unbelievably so. But those are the current rules we live by in our oh-so enlightened society.
Go to Top of Page

keftiu
Senior Scribe

656 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2021 :  19:32:14  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Because it's a matriarchy. It's okay to depict slavery and sexism in art when women are the perpetrators and not the primary victims.

Silly? Absolutely. Stupid? Unbelievably so. But those are the current rules we live by in our oh-so enlightened society.

You sure you’re still talking about the Realms here, and not just vaguely grinding a political axe?

Go to Top of Page

keftiu
Senior Scribe

656 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2021 :  19:41:43  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To put all this another way: the circles I run in would jump at the chance to fight slavers and those destroying the environment. Dark Sun would be a smash hit.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2021 :  19:59:01  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

To put all this another way: the circles I run in would jump at the chance to fight slavers and those destroying the environment. Dark Sun would be a smash hit.

I'm inclined to agree. I think the environmental angle would have a huge amount of appeal, and even for those who weren't as interested in that angle, the way the various races were redone would be appealing.

I think the psionics would be a big deal, too. Dark Sun was the only setting where psionics were properly integrated, I think. I myself would be interested in playing just for the psionics -- most of the Dark Sun stuff I have, I got for the psionics.

Go to Top of Page

HighOne
Learned Scribe

214 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2021 :  21:43:44  Show Profile Send HighOne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I agree. If Wizards framed it in that way, I think it would sell well and be well-received.

Between Dark Sun and Spelljammer, though, I think a Spelljammer release is more likely simply because it's less politically fraught. Dark Sun requires more work to get right, and Wizards has a tighter rope to walk between pleasing old fans and not offending modern tastes.

Of course, they went ahead and walked that tight rope with Van Richten's Guide to Ravenloft, but I'd say it's too early to tell how that will all play out. If it turns out that Van Richten's is a great success after the dust has settled, then I think Wizards will be more inclined to try their hand at re-imagining Dark Sun in a similar vein. Otherwise, if it turns out that updating Ravenloft was more trouble than it was worth, they'll probably shy away from any more potentially-controversial settings.
Go to Top of Page

keftiu
Senior Scribe

656 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2021 :  00:05:20  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I agree. If Wizards framed it in that way, I think it would sell well and be well-received.

Between Dark Sun and Spelljammer, though, I think a Spelljammer release is more likely simply because it's less politically fraught. Dark Sun requires more work to get right, and Wizards has a tighter rope to walk between pleasing old fans and not offending modern tastes.

Of course, they went ahead and walked that tight rope with Van Richten's Guide to Ravenloft, but I'd say it's too early to tell how that will all play out. If it turns out that Van Richten's is a great success after the dust has settled, then I think Wizards will be more inclined to try their hand at re-imagining Dark Sun in a similar vein. Otherwise, if it turns out that updating Ravenloft was more trouble than it was worth, they'll probably shy away from any more potentially-controversial settings.

4e Dark Sun was very well received; they’ve already done all the non-mechanical work they need.

Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4425 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2021 :  01:01:17  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So, just saw this come up and kinda makes me both happy and also equally sad. Magic: The Gathering’s Strixhaven setting comes to D&D in a new campaign book.

Like, with ALL the Magic: the Gathering info in terms of D&D stuff out - two FULL campaign books, half a dozen Planeshift articles, & FR crossovers - it REALLY makes me want to do a full 20 level campaign where they portal-jump through all the areas in search of a Mcguffin that stops Phyrexia somehow. Yet, they can't put together an amazing fully fleshed out Campaigns Guide for the Forgotten Realms.
Go to Top of Page

keftiu
Senior Scribe

656 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2021 :  02:35:14  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

So, just saw this come up and kinda makes me both happy and also equally sad. Magic: The Gathering’s Strixhaven setting comes to D&D in a new campaign book.

Beat you to it by two days :p

I’m underwhelmed! Magic has much better settings, IMO; Zendikar feels long overdue, Innistrad would be more of a crowd pleaser, and I’m dying for Mirrodin or Tarkir.

Go to Top of Page

Eldacar
Senior Scribe

438 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2021 :  17:11:17  Show Profile Send Eldacar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Beat you to it by two days :p

I’m underwhelmed! Magic has much better settings, IMO; Zendikar feels long overdue, Innistrad would be more of a crowd pleaser, and I’m dying for Mirrodin or Tarkir.

I don't think Innistrad was likely. They wouldn't have done the Ravenloft book so close to it, since there would likely be cross-pollination between the two and they prefer to spread things out (for example, look at the timeframe between the Curse of Strahd adventure and the just-out Ravenloft book). And Tarkir was better, in my opinion, before Sarkhan ruined everything by bringing the dragons back.

"The Wild Mages I have met exhibit a startling disregard for common sense, and are often meddling with powers far beyond their own control." ~Volo
"Not unlike a certain travelogue author with whom I am unfortunately acquainted." ~Elminster
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000