Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 what is your favorite magical artifact on FR?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

egardrol
Acolyte

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2004 :  16:09:44  Show Profile  Visit egardrol's Homepage Send egardrol a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Personally I like them all. By the way.... does any one know what my signature translates to?okay ill pick one. I love icingdeath. its ability to stunt even the fires of errtu is amazing.

prayne de crabug ahm rinedere be-yogt iglo kes gron

Edited by - egardrol on 29 Apr 2004 16:34:18

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2004 :  16:30:06  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
egardrol, it would be best if you at least mentioned one particular artifact which catches your attention rather than liking them all when starting a thread such as this!

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2004 :  16:36:14  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are already several scrolls of this kind here in the library. Please use the search function to find them, and continue this discussion in the most appropriate scroll.

Thank you .

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

VEDSICA
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2004 :  00:47:03  Show Profile  Visit VEDSICA's Homepage Send VEDSICA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For some reason.I like the Death Moon Orb.Plus The Cyrinishad for the simple fact that it was the focus in two of my favorite FR novels of all time.

LIFE,BIRTH,BLOOD,DOOM---THE HOLE IN THE GROUND IS COMING ROUND SOON----BLS
Go to Top of Page

Cherrn
Learned Scribe

Denmark
323 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2004 :  00:57:11  Show Profile Send Cherrn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm with Vedsica. I like the Cyrinishad because even the gods fear it, and because it featured in 2 of my fave novels.

A wise man from Calimport once told me: "If a merchant puts sand in the flask of oil he's trying to sell you, then he isn't trying to sell you sand..."
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2004 :  02:11:57  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My favourite FR artifact (and D&D artifact) has to be Asmodeus's Ruby Rod. That thing is so powerful and it's worth one million gold pieces in gem value alone.

"Trust in the shadows, for the bright way makes you an easy target." -Mask
Go to Top of Page

RogueAssassin
Learned Scribe

USA
207 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2004 :  02:35:31  Show Profile  Visit RogueAssassin's Homepage Send RogueAssassin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The sword and gauntlet combination that Artemis Entreri got in The Sea of Swords is my Fav. The Gauntlet absorbs spells and magic, and the sword is sentient and destroys anyone who cant control it. Plus it leaves trails of ash in the air where it cuts. I do think salvatore should have told a little more about this weapon though.

-The Rogue

RA SALVATORE IS A GENIUS

"Spirit. Its a Heros strength, a mothers resiliance, and the poor mans armor. It cannot be broken and it cannot be taken away. This i must belive"---Drizzt Do'Urden
Go to Top of Page

VEDSICA
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2004 :  04:01:22  Show Profile  Visit VEDSICA's Homepage Send VEDSICA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is there any stats,or description of Asmodeous Ruby Rod to be found??Can anyone point me in the right direction??

LIFE,BIRTH,BLOOD,DOOM---THE HOLE IN THE GROUND IS COMING ROUND SOON----BLS
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2004 :  04:51:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by VEDSICA

Is there any stats,or description of Asmodeous Ruby Rod to be found??Can anyone point me in the right direction??

Well, there's the obvious 3e source...the Book of Vile Darkness...

quote:
From the BoVD
...is an +6 unholy greatclub...

It can also create a variety of spell effects(lines of fire and acid, and cones of cold), allows the wielder to project an aura of might, and allow Asmodeus to essentially take a three-round "time out" from fighting, during which he becomes fully healed, rested, and recuperated...
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2004 :  06:47:15  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Ruby Rod of Asmodeus is also said to be the symbol of the Archfiends office, as Lord of the Nine Hells. It is rumored to be worth (in gem value) significantly more than one million gold pieces. An interesting rumor surrounding the Rod is that it is actually made from the essence of the former Lord of the Hells...lending strength to the theories by planar sages that there has been more than one Asmodeus in the past...

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2004 :  15:26:49  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RogueAssassin

The sword and gauntlet combination that Artemis Entreri got in The Sea of Swords is my Fav. The Gauntlet absorbs spells and magic, and the sword is sentient and destroys anyone who cant control it. Plus it leaves trails of ash in the air where it cuts. I do think salvatore should have told a little more about this weapon though.

-The Rogue

RA SALVATORE IS A GENIUS

Salvatore did talk about it. There's a short story about the sword, telling of its origins.

Go to Top of Page

jebeddo
Seeker

Canada
69 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2004 :  03:16:55  Show Profile  Visit jebeddo's Homepage Send jebeddo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Um...pardon my interupption, gentle sirs, but are we not talking about artifacts? I hardly think that Artemis Enterei's sword and magic-sucking gauntlet measures up to an artifact! But in all of D&D, I'd say that the Orbs of Dragon Mastery are the coolest of all.

"Only half-orcs rush in where devas fear to tread."
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2004 :  06:13:05  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
jebeddo, how is it NOT an artifact? Charon's Claw is probably one of the best weapons on Faerun and it's the bane of all spellcasters. The sword and gaunlet turns away any type of magic aimed at the wielder and Arty can also dispel nearby spell effects.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2004 :  07:02:34  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DDH_101

jebeddo, how is it NOT an artifact? Charon's Claw is probably one of the best weapons on Faerun and it's the bane of all spellcasters. The sword and gaunlet turns away any type of magic aimed at the wielder and Arty can also dispel nearby spell effects.

Just because it's powerful does not mean it's an artifact. Artifacts are insanely powerful, beyond the means of mortals to create. In fact, in an earlier edition, artifacts were referred to as "a reason for the DM to break the rules."

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2004 :  19:45:59  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And Charon's Claw isn't powerful? It absorbs and reflects magic back to the user!

Beyond the means of mortals? There are several artifacts that are created by mortals. Also, Charon's Claw was created by the Nethrese arcanists, a group of very powerful mortals.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2004 :  22:34:30  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

And Charon's Claw isn't powerful? It absorbs and reflects magic back to the user!

Beyond the means of mortals? There are several artifacts that are created by mortals. Also, Charon's Claw was created by the Nethrese arcanists, a group of very powerful mortals.

I didn't say it wasn't powerful -- I just said it wasn't powerful enough to be an artifact.

I should have said "beyond the means of most mortals." Granted, there are artifacts that have been created by mortals, but that's quite rare. Such artifacts were usually created by a group of people, working together, in times long past -- when more powerful magic was available.

If you've a magical item that can be replicated by a non-epic individual, then by no means is it an artifact.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2004 :  23:45:44  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
First of all, is there even a requirement for items to become an artifact? Lol.

Second, do you see another Charon's Claw lying around in Faerun?

Go to Top of Page

jebeddo
Seeker

Canada
69 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2004 :  23:46:20  Show Profile  Visit jebeddo's Homepage Send jebeddo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

My theory for the Charon's Claw is that it's like a variation of the Globe of Invulnerability casted on it or something of the like. So that any powerful enough wizard could lay waste to the bearer...

"Only half-orcs rush in where devas fear to tread."
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2004 :  00:02:22  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But it doesn't work like a globe of invulnerablity. The gaunlet absorbs and then reflects to wherever the wielder chooses.

Go to Top of Page

Senbar Flay
Learned Scribe

185 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2004 :  00:18:59  Show Profile  Visit Senbar Flay's Homepage Send Senbar Flay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the rod of Asmodues with all of it's special abillites and attacks with the abillity to leave and recuperate. Makes it an awsome weapon. Plus if he was wielding it ahhhh the possibilites

Imagination is more important than knowledge for knowledge is limited imagination encircles the world.- Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

Teflon
Seeker

60 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2004 :  01:31:28  Show Profile  Visit Teflon's Homepage Send Teflon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Scepter of the Sorcerer Kings is my favorite artifact, even though I hate how its been destoryed. But it still exists IMC at least.

In any battle, the mightiest weapon is one that strikes unseen.

A Warrior or Wizard may be invincible in open battle, with their foes before them, but even they must sleep sometime, and cannot parry the knife that comes from behind.

-The life of a assassin.
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2004 :  03:43:36  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Teflon, can you name some spell abilities of the artifact? I've heard of the Scepter but I don't know its powers.

Go to Top of Page

Teflon
Seeker

60 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2004 :  04:01:07  Show Profile  Visit Teflon's Homepage Send Teflon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sure,

It is said that in long-ago Netheril there lived sorcerer-kings of such might that they arrogantly considered themselves the equals of gods, and as if to prove their claim, they crafted items of truly reckless power. Their wanton destruction worried the other inhabitants of Faerun, and some even called on their gods to humble the mighty sorcerer-kings. The world shook with these battles, or so it is said. In their arrogance, the sorcerer-kings decided to rid
themselves of these "meddling deities."

Powers:
Constant. The Scepter automatically rebounds any magic or psionic power targeted specifically against its wielder (area effects are not included), and then magnifies the damage and duration tenfold (if possible). A magic missile curves back on its caster and inflicts [1d4 + 1] x 10 damage, for example.

Invoked. Nine times per day, a touch of the Scepter (which requires a successful attack roll against unwilling targets) can heal or harm, as the wielder wills. In either case, the gain or loss is 2dl2 points of damage; furthermore, 1 of these points is always a permanent gain or loss. The Scepter cannot alter a creature's permanent hit point total by more than 9 points, and when this number is reached, the creature is no longer affected by this property of the scepter, for good or ill. The creature's death will not change the Scepter's count (a resurrected being doesn't start
over with the opportunity for another 9 weals or woes). Once per day, the Scepter can dispel magic automatically. The item to be dispelled must be touched by the Scepter, and a successful attack roll must be made if the item is held by an opponent. Each time this power is used, there is a 2- in-6 chance to drain the item as per a rod of cancellation and to create a permanent magicdead
area with a 60-foot radius. Only artifacts are immune to the effects of this magic-dead zone.

Curse. For 10 full days from the instant the Scepter is used, the influence of a single, randomly- chosen deity is banished from the world where the character resides. Note that this affects only a single world. If, for example, the deity is barred from Toril (in the FORGOTTEN REALMSŪ world) it could still potentially be active on Selune, the moon of that world. While banished, the deity cannot observe, control, contact, or influence beings and events on that world. The god cannot enter that world as an avatar, by manifestation, vision, or possession, nor can it send any of its Outer Planar minions or items, except through the aid of others.
Note that a gate opened from the barred world to the deity's plane is still possible. While the diety is barred, new spells cannot be gained by any priest or ranger of that following. One deity is affected per use of the Scepter, although those whose area of control includes magic are immune. Given the devastating effect of this item, the deities of those worlds where the Scepter is known (Toril, for instance) have carefully instructed their senior priests as to what the Scepter looks like and what should be done if it appears. Most often, the powers demand the death of the wielder. Deities themselves are blind to the location or presence of the Scepter, and must rely on the eyes of their followers.

The curse is most interesting

In any battle, the mightiest weapon is one that strikes unseen.

A Warrior or Wizard may be invincible in open battle, with their foes before them, but even they must sleep sometime, and cannot parry the knife that comes from behind.

-The life of a assassin.

Edited by - Teflon on 05 May 2004 04:04:13
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2004 :  04:30:57  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Second, do you see another Charon's Claw lying around in Faerun?

One of the Volo's Guide had a Walmart advertising a Charon's Claw on sale. Waterdeep I believe, so check it out.
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2004 :  05:43:11  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Teflon, how did the scepter get destroyed?

Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2004 :  13:08:28  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Artifacts and relics are characters in their own right, with magical and political gravity which draws mortals and kingdoms into their spell. Possessing one is liable to drive you mad or get you killed. The 3E concept of minor artifact is somewhat less extreme, and something like Charon's Claw might count.

Of Realms-originating artifacts, the Crown of Horns, the Ring of Winter and the Blood of Lathander have a lot of weight.
Go to Top of Page

James P. Davis
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
244 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2004 :  09:08:48  Show Profile  Visit James P. Davis's Homepage Send James P. Davis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm a big fan of the Calimemnon Crystal, which from what I can find about it, may or may not be the same thing as the Living Gem, anyone know for sure? Either way, lots of good game threads to build on with this one (these?)

As for Charon's Claw? I think being a sentient weapon sets it above normal magic items, but doesn't quite push it into the realm of artifact, plus there are several ways to get around that pesky spell reflection. i.e.: Cast a Forcecage around the wielder (barred version)and follow it with Rock to Mud underneath. Neither spell targets the wielder specifically and both he and the sword go bye-bye! (But I suppose you could dig them up later if you wanted the sword.)

"Everybody is a book of blood; wherever we're opened, we're red."--Clive Barker

FR: RotD2:"Possessions"
Wizards:Bloodwalk
Citadels: The Shield of Weeping Ghosts
Wilds: The Restless Shore
Ed Greenwood Presents Waterdeep: Circle of Skulls (May 2010)
Book trailers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jC-ska7ohVk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfvFdQ8bLp0
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2004 :  14:55:02  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But James, Charon's Claw can also easily dispel magic...

Faraer, I've never heard of the Blood of Lanthander. What is it?

Go to Top of Page

James P. Davis
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
244 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2004 :  18:59:12  Show Profile  Visit James P. Davis's Homepage Send James P. Davis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Forcecage bears the same immunity to dispel magic as wall of force, now unless Charon's Claw can cast disintegrate as well (and at a sufficiently high level) then you've got one frustrated little Arty in a sinking box running out of breathing room.
Sorry, Artemis is a cool character and Charon's Claw is an awesome sword, but against a wizard who isn't killed by the first targeted spell that rebounds on him (and has a little bit of brain matter to figure out what just happened!) there's a whole world of non-targeted spells that aren't subject to spell reflection and dispel magic. Unless he happened to get lucky, really evil wizards tend to target, they love targets and victims, but a more scholarly wizard would be much better prepared.

"Everybody is a book of blood; wherever we're opened, we're red."--Clive Barker

FR: RotD2:"Possessions"
Wizards:Bloodwalk
Citadels: The Shield of Weeping Ghosts
Wilds: The Restless Shore
Ed Greenwood Presents Waterdeep: Circle of Skulls (May 2010)
Book trailers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jC-ska7ohVk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfvFdQ8bLp0
Go to Top of Page

Terame
Acolyte

Australia
1 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2004 :  05:27:29  Show Profile  Visit Terame's Homepage Send Terame a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't seem to find the specs of Charon's Claw anywhere despite heavu Googling...

Any help appreceiated :D

These are endless galaxies which are yours. You can travel to infinity though the endless passages of the cosmos. Even better this belongs to you. This is your mind.
Joe Hunt
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2004 :  06:00:12  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by James P. Davis

quote:

Forcecage bears the same immunity to dispel magic as wall of force, now unless Charon's Claw can cast disintegrate as well (and at a sufficiently high level) then you've got one frustrated little Arty in a sinking box running out of breathing room.
Sorry, Artemis is a cool character and Charon's Claw is an awesome sword, but against a wizard who isn't killed by the first targeted spell that rebounds on him (and has a little bit of brain matter to figure out what just happened!) there's a whole world of non-targeted spells that aren't subject to spell reflection and dispel magic. Unless he happened to get lucky, really evil wizards tend to target, they love targets and victims, but a more scholarly wizard would be much better prepared.

I agree with you. I remember in Servant of the Shard how Artemis almost died from that battlemage. The battlemage had prepared for battle and knew fully how to fight him. So if a wizard studied and learned about Charon's Claw, he would then study the appropriate spells to stop the weapon and then defeat the assassin.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000